Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#3179 Dec 21, 2012
SoE wrote:
End of the World Rumors Shuts Down 33 Michigan schools
Students in Lapeer County, Michigan started winter break two days early
It looks as though Lapeer hasn't outsourced its
rumor mills yet :-)
From what I read, it was because of Newtown copycat threats.

NOT funny.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Lapeer, MI

#3180 Dec 21, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Must be a handleful of people from an original Mayan bloodline living in Lapeer. They knew climate change was coming so they moved North way before the plants and animals started migrating. They must have thought catastrophic climate change was due to arrive centuries ago because the end result was a move north for nothing (that is if the world ends today). Tomorrow morning they will start their move back to their homeland thinking they were wrong about everything. Once they get there a sink hole as big as California, created by climate change forces, will swallow them up. The irony, I tell ya. In that case, their prediction will have been correct ...but only applicable for themselves.
Did I just start a rumor?
:)
Why is it that we so often think that the Ancients were far more perceptive and aware of the future than we are? The Mayans knew the date of the end of the world. The early Christians walked around in a daze waiting for the return of Jesus. Nostradamus predicted the color of Obama's underwear.

Let me make a prediction: the Sun will rise tomorrow morning.

Lapeer, MI

#3181 Dec 21, 2012
Pokay wrote:
I swear I'm not waiting in the bushes until the thread gets close to the bottom of a page just so I can have the opening post on a new poage. I just happen to have diahrrea of the fingers coincidentally. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery; probably be another week before I can start doing anything constructive.
Why the shoulder surgery? Was the Devil jumping up and down while whispering into your ear?

Listen to the Angel on the other shoulder. I like it when she whispers into my ear:}

Lapeer, MI

#3182 Dec 21, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>That's my problem too, I'm always finding ways to do a job myself, because I don't want to impose on family, neighbors or friends to come over and help. They have their own problems.
Yea you're right about the aggregate of friction. I guess I was originally thinking that maybe it would be possible to, say, pull the entire 60 feet of cable through the first ten foot piece of conduit and then feed the entire remainder of cable through the remaining sections one at a time. Like if you had the cable stretched out where it was suposed to run, and then pulled a section at a time of conduit over the wire from end to origin. I was thinking maybe you had it running along the exterior of a wall, but it sounds like you're having to run it 60 feet through wall/s?
There is a book at my local library titled "Working Alone". In it, this guy describes hundreds of tips, techniques and mechanical contraptions he's made over the years to make home repair and constructions projects "One Man Jobs". I liked it so much that before returning the book, I laid many of the book's pages on my scanner bed to copy my favorites.

Unfortunately, he's not an electrician:>

Lapeer, MI

#3183 Dec 21, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>and<quoted text>
Time is standardized by the vibrations of the cesium atom. But what if the frequency of those oscillations increased by a factor of 24? Answer is that nobody knows, but.....consider, a day reduced to one of our original measures of "hour", and a minute to 2 1/2 seconds. Our first gut feeling would be that the
"second hand" on the clock would speed up so much that it would surely be noticeable. But maybe relativity, dictating that everything changes proportionally, also dictates that our perception of it would be unchanged?
Not sure what any of that even means or if anything practical could be realized from it, but it *seems* interesting.
We may not be able to sense a true absolute change in frequency, if everything is proportional, but 'our perception of something constant and unchanging' can change. I'm sure many of us have been in adrenaline hightened situations like car accidents where the perception of time seems to slow down or almost stop and where we don't even feel like we are "in" our bodies anymore. I think it's reasonable to assume that cesium atoms all over the world didn't slow down during the time I was having an out of body experience.
Not sure what any of that even means or if anything practical could be realized from it, but it *seems* interesting.
But if we are close enough to that clock, we are in the same "Time Frame" with it. So, if the second hand begins rotating 2X faster, our senses would be sensing 2X faster, also. The result? We sense no difference.

It is only when a locality separates into multiple ones that we can distinguish localities and their characteristics of speed and time differences between them.

I just left to get a drink from upstairs and saw little kids being interviewed on TV. They were asked about how Santa is able to do all of these impossible things, any tips they would have for him and if they have a personal relationship with the guy, etc.
Adults, in a similar situation, might all say either "That's impossible" or simply "Gee. Ya know, I just can't figure that out".

Kids? They always come up with an answer. I love it. May they NEVER lose their imagination. God Bless 'em. It is what makes them human and older adults less human...

Lapeer, MI

#3184 Dec 21, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Are you certain? More than 50%?
:)
Yes.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3185 Dec 21, 2012
OK I changed my mind. If there is absolute/eternal substance there has to be some kind of absolute dimension, but not necessarily time. 2 outta three ain't bad.

Location hidden

#3186 Dec 21, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Well I guess certainty of opinion is in the mind of the beholder so I'll take that as a compliment, thanks. I'll allow you to be certain....just this once :)

Location hidden

#3187 Dec 21, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the shoulder surgery? Was the Devil jumping up and down while whispering into your ear?
Listen to the Angel on the other shoulder. I like it when she whispers into my ear:}
Well it looks like my future holds no shortage of operations. Will have to do the same on the other shoulder sometime and knee replacements are coming too. And I'll probably be lucky to make 60 and retain an intact prostate but it seems to be hangin in there really well considering how bad it was a few years ago.

The reason for the shoulder surgery is a calcium buildup, a pretty darn big hump on each shoulder over the past 5 to 10 years has grown and my rotator was abrading over it. Caught it in time before I needed a stitch in the rotator, so recovery should be more like 'one to three months' rather than 'six months to a year'.

Yea I like it too but I could get in some trouble if I 'listen and obey' everything that "Angel" says :)

I just saw a movie a few days ago about a true story of a nurse that took care of a man's dying wife. After his wife passed, the nurse beguiled him and got him to marry her and on top of it got him to sign everything to her in the will and nothing to the three daughters. Then she murdered him with an overdose of morphine which was found during an autopsy demanded by the daughters. It was entitled, "Widow on the Hill" I think. We're talking a massive estate, farm and horses. And we're talking a true story, you can google it.

Lapeer, MI

#3188 Dec 22, 2012
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Well it looks like my future holds no shortage of operations. Will have to do the same on the other shoulder sometime and knee replacements are coming too. And I'll probably be lucky to make 60 and retain an intact prostate but it seems to be hangin in there really well considering how bad it was a few years ago.
The reason for the shoulder surgery is a calcium buildup, a pretty darn big hump on each shoulder over the past 5 to 10 years has grown and my rotator was abrading over it. Caught it in time before I needed a stitch in the rotator, so recovery should be more like 'one to three months' rather than 'six months to a year'.
Yea I like it too but I could get in some trouble if I 'listen and obey' everything that "Angel" says :)
I just saw a movie a few days ago about a true story of a nurse that took care of a man's dying wife. After his wife passed, the nurse beguiled him and got him to marry her and on top of it got him to sign everything to her in the will and nothing to the three daughters. Then she murdered him with an overdose of morphine which was found during an autopsy demanded by the daughters. It was entitled, "Widow on the Hill" I think. We're talking a massive estate, farm and horses. And we're talking a true story, you can google it.
I know of several people now who have the Rotator Cuff issue. They tell me it is very painful.

One good thing about being poor: those folks who love you, love you for you and not for your money.

“Blood Type B - Attitude B +”

Since: Mar 08

Felton California

#3189 Dec 22, 2012
Peter wrote:
Time to me seems to be speeding up
Not in cllock time, but the years seem to just fly by now
I Remember not long ago putting Christmas decorations away
And it seemed an eternity before it came around again
Now it feels like a few weeks gone by!
Really makes time seem to be wholly related to perception.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#3190 Dec 22, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of several people now who have the Rotator Cuff issue. They tell me it is very painful.
One good thing about being poor: those folks who love you, love you for you and not for your money.
Maybe they just appreciate the simpler things in life. No offense intended, tiny.

Lapeer, MI

#3191 Dec 23, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe they just appreciate the simpler things in life. No offense intended, tiny.
The beauty of Simplicity is always attended by great Complexity. The perceived beauty of Simplicity is a conscious decision of framing something in a way that pleases us. A beautiful Sunset closes the day like a book just read to a sleepy child drifting. This is the in-house poetry of the mind but not the physics of planetary motion, Solar Fusion, infrared transmission, Neutrino baths, Gravity and Matter seeking a lower energy stability.

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways." is really just confounding with complexity. Simplicity's warmth demands that "I love you" replace it.

Lapeer, MI

#3192 Dec 23, 2012
been there9 wrote:
<quoted text>Really makes time seem to be wholly related to perception.
In the end, it is like the blinking of an eye.
In process, it can seem an eternity.

Turn Around

(Malvina Reynolds - Harry Belafonte - Allen Greene)

Where are you goin' my little one, little one?
Where are you goin' my baby my own?
Turn around and you're two
Turn around and you're four
Turn around and you're a young girl
Going out the door

Chorus
Turn around
Turn around
Turn around and you're a young girl
Going out of the door
(Turn around and you're a young wife
With babes of your own)

Little dirndles and petticoats, where have you gone?
Turn around and you're tiny
Turn around and you're grown
Turn around and you're a young wife
With babes of your own

Chorus

Where are you goin' my baby my own?

Location hidden

#3193 Dec 24, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
In the end, it is like the blinking of an eye.
In process, it can seem an eternity.
The "process" seems to be made up of an infinite number of "endings". Brings up the question again of whether there is a such thing as "truly instantaneous". If there is, then it's likely time is an illusion.

Location hidden

#3194 Dec 24, 2012
A comfortable and merry Christmas to you guys......
SoE

Rock Springs, WY

#3195 Dec 25, 2012
Merry Christmas to all...and to all a good night...

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Since: Aug 12

Bury, UK

#3196 Dec 26, 2012
All time is hyperspace. All hyper spaced time is frozen or in a state of flux. Then comes life on earth and flowers grow and babies are being born. And the thaw begins. How much that obfuscates stationery time or to be frank illusory time, is the question all of us here are asking ourselves right?
samostojna MK

Canberra, Australia

#3198 Dec 26, 2012
All I know about time, is, that time is the fastest fenomenon in universe.
It exists, other wise we would not be inventing the wach. Its not use to masure time, but it gives us a balancing power in the sceem of life.
Only time goest with out fault.
Everything else is damiged goods.
SoE

Rozet, WY

#3199 Dec 26, 2012
What questions am I asking?
A. Is time an illusion ?
B. What comes after death ?
C. What is reality ?
D. What is hypo-space?
E. How does one nail Jell-o to a tree ?
F. Are my relatives going to be here all the time?
G. What is fenomenon ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Updated NASA Data: Global Warming Not Causing A... 1 hr Pokay 62
Nitrogen Powered Hybrid Automobile (Dec '11) 3 hr Walter Harold Marlin 252
News All Columbus schools to get WiFi by end of 2015-16 7 hr wirelesswatch 1
News PayPal Emphasizes Mobile in Its Vision for an E... 16 hr Philip Cohen 2
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 hr ChristineM 19,141
Anax Projects SCADA training with 100% Placement 22 hr Raghu 4
H13-511 practice test, Huawei H13-511-ENU Exam ... Sun thc2040928 1
More from around the web