Hubble focuses on the 'Great Attractor'

Hubble focuses on the 'Great Attractor'

There are 1 comment on the Science Daily story from Jan 22, 2013, titled Hubble focuses on the 'Great Attractor'. In it, Science Daily reports that:

Scattered with many nearby stars, the field also has numerous galaxies in the background.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Science Daily.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Jan 23, 2013
It appears that the "great attractor" has moved.

Previously it was the general direction of travel of our Galaxy's orbit around Andromeda. It now appeares that the peculiar motion of our Galaxy's orbit has been taken into account.

The Norma cluster is also noticeable for its absence in the bulk of photos, so this one is a first.

I like the pic of the edge on foreground spiral. There should also be a host of giant E galaxies, tidally stripped lenticulars and a big cD with radio lobes.

In their absence the Norma cluster would not be the great attractor and would be instead a foreground cluster.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min DanFromSmithville 33,852
News High Desert residents struggle with wind turbin... (Mar '10) 1 hr solarderek 23
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) 2 hr Into The Night 2,374
News Schwarzenegger seeks $95M for green research (Dec '06) 6 hr Follow The Money 5
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 8 hr SoE 10,436
JET_errFileAccessDenied 9 hr henriksen 2
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 10 hr Don Barros Serrano 179,706
More from around the web