Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28468 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27914 Aug 15, 2014
If the energy increased by 7 TJ that would leave the end result where?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27915 Aug 16, 2014
SoE wrote:
.......... There's never been an experimental test of climate change mitigation; that's how you can know it's a hoax .......... How can you know it's a hoax if its never been tested ?
Common sense, the same way you can know untested hair growth tonic is a hoax.

.
SoE wrote:
.......... man made catastrophic climate disruption is pseudoscience.......... I wonder if there are those that would be happy if your scientific understanding approached pseudoscience ?
I'm using the principle of the scientific method advocating experimental tests BEFORE implementing full scale climate change mitigation.

.
SoE wrote:
I believe if you review your extensive library relating to climatology you will see how the conclusions have been reached...I've faith in you
Thanks, I've searched for experimental tests for at least 20 years and haven't found one yet. Please cite if you find one.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27916 Aug 16, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Make that in tons per day.. 110 million tons of man-made CO2 released into our atmosphere daily..
That would mean each of Earth's 7,000,000,000 people emit 15kg of CO2 per day. I advocate energy prosperity, emitting more greenhouse gas to feed and protect our planet.

Emitting carbon dioxide is necessary for human life.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27917 Aug 16, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
You have never passed a science test so how would you know?
The Scientific Method:

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.

2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.

3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.

4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.
http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/ap...

Wait for step four before implementing full scale climate change mitigation.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27918 Aug 16, 2014
The California heat this year is like nothing ever seen, with records that go back to 1895. The chart below shows average year-to-date temperatures in the state from January through July for each year. The orange line shows the trend rising 0.2 degrees Fahrenheit per decade.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-15/cali...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27919 Aug 16, 2014
Coincidence isn't causality. Only experimental tests can show us how to mitigate climate change; wait for science to catch up to the hype.
litesong

Everett, WA

#27920 Aug 16, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
You have never passed a science test so how would you know?
//////////
"lyin' brian" bluffed:
The Scientific Method......
//////////
litesong wrote:
The Scientific Method is described in the first paragraph of 5th grade science books.
"lyin' brian" proceeded no further in its science endeavors.
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27921 Aug 16, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Common sense, the same way you can know untested hair growth tonic is a hoax.
.
<quoted text>I'm using the principle of the scientific method advocating experimental tests BEFORE implementing full scale climate change mitigation.
.
<quoted text>Thanks, I've searched for experimental tests for at least 20 years and haven't found one yet. Please cite if you find one.
Hahaha...
I was taught that common sense and the scientific method can not be used in the same framework....
You will not know if the hair growth tonic is a hoax until tested....

What you call full scale climate change mitigation and mine may differ..
I don't see a great change until a cleaner source of power comes online
such as fusion reactors etc....
It is perhaps noteworthy I use the term power and not energy

I believe if you were to filter through all the tests that would be related to the subject at hand
you will see how global warming issues came about...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27922 Aug 16, 2014
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
My,...well, it certainly didn't take long for you to show why it would appear that way to you !
Yet neither you or the other expert's here have yet to offer any long termed ,unbiased proof !!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27923 Aug 16, 2014
Well over a month has passed when I asked for just one of you experts to post a long termed ,unbiased study of 100 years or more . And still not one post only name calling and other stupidity , which is ok because i like a good laugh !
But seriously I'll make it easier how about a long termed unbiased climate change ,global warming ,or man made ghg's study thats 75 years or more . Really is it that hard to prove and post ? After all the experts here never wait a moment to post a study of a few years ago , which most are usually later proven to be flawed or just out right lies and screwed up computer models !!
So come on one of you experts post a long termed ,unbiased study for all the world to see !!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27924 Aug 17, 2014
Climate change isn't a computer model, a fuzzy prediction, a cute picture of polar bears on shrinking icebergs, or some far-off, distant threat that people who aren't born yet will have to deal with. It's here, now — and it's disrupting our lives.

It's affecting food prices through extended droughts and flooding basements in extreme rainfall events — the types of dry and wet extremes that scientists have been telling us for years would be part of a changing, warming world. Now we can see these things with our own eyes, out our own windows.

It's causing farmers to plant earlier. Bird lovers are watching habitats shrink and change. Lobstermen are seeing the corrosive effects of both warming waters and ocean acidification change their way of life. Fire chiefs are facing the stark reality of bigger, faster wildfires lasting year round instead of contained to seasons.[60 Million American Birdwatchers Chase Ever-Shrinking Quarry (Op-Ed)]

livescience.com

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27925 Aug 17, 2014
Farmers plant earlier and farm production increases almost every year. CO2 doesn't kill lobsters, raw sewage flushed into coastal water kills lobsters.
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27926 Aug 17, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
, raw sewage flushed into coastal water kills lobsters.
You seem to have left out oil spills and petroleum based fertilizers ......?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27927 Aug 19, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Climate change isn't a computer model, a fuzzy prediction, a cute picture of polar bears on shrinking icebergs, or some far-off, distant threat that people who aren't born yet will have to deal with. It's here, now — and it's disrupting our lives.
It's affecting food prices through extended droughts and flooding basements in extreme rainfall events — the types of dry and wet extremes that scientists have been telling us for years would be part of a changing, warming world. Now we can see these things with our own eyes, out our own windows.
It's causing farmers to plant earlier. Bird lovers are watching habitats shrink and change. Lobstermen are seeing the corrosive effects of both warming waters and ocean acidification change their way of life. Fire chiefs are facing the stark reality of bigger, faster wildfires lasting year round instead of contained to seasons.[60 Million American Birdwatchers Chase Ever-Shrinking Quarry (Op-Ed)]
livescience.com
If not fuzzy puter models ,predictions and scare tactic pictures used to brain wash and scare little school children then please post a long termed unbiased study that proves that everything is manmade !! I have had no disruptions to my life from anything you preach of . birds are loosing habitat from urban creep and not climate change ! if anything birds should be loving the newly exposed lands ,more food sources . Forest fire have been going on in the country even before man was here and will continue the only difference is that some folks have decided to build their homes in fire prone areas and stupid people who are careless with fire ! How the hell do you propose to stop natural lighting strikes that start most forest fires ????? As for food prices get the govt. out of the food business and let the free market take care of itself !! We have farms in this area and sorry to tell you all were late planting this spring WHY? because they had to wait for the snow to melt ,and warm up yea thats right WARM UP !! yes we know all caused by climate / globull /ghg's that not one expert can prove .

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27928 Aug 19, 2014
Record cool temps across America in July and August from the Canadian border to north Fla.! Cold weather depression in N.Y. city and New England ! and now the coolest August in the last 100 years in the U.K. with possible snow in the highland of Scotland later this week ! Record snows and temps in OZ , record breaking ice shelf formation at the south pole ! all brought to us by good old MOTHER NATURE ! Sorry warmers you can't have it both ways the more you try to prove your cause the more the planet proves you all to be fools !!!!!!!!!!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27929 Aug 19, 2014
SoE wrote:
You seem to have left out oil spills and petroleum based fertilizers ......?
Oil has always seeped into the oceans; the seas eat oil. Untreated raw sewage kills costal crustaceans like lobsters, not CO2.
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27930 Aug 19, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Oil has always seeped into the oceans; the seas eat oil. Untreated raw sewage kills costal crustaceans like lobsters, not CO2.
Spills that are man made are not seeps....Uncontrolled algae blooms from unwise fertilizer applications are man made...areas that have uncontrolled sewage releases can be controlled ....In fact most problems caused by man can be controlled by man if he so desires...
Perhaps it's a matter of not understanding or disregarding effect and cause for some short term gain which benefit the few at the cost of the many ...
You seem to have a very selective understanding of proportionality.....
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27931 Aug 19, 2014
Population is now inextricably tied to technology and the wisdom of its use will determine, to a large extent, its outcome.....
That, for better or worse, is a factor introduced by man....
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27932 Aug 19, 2014
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text>
If not fuzzy puter models ,predictions and scare tactic pictures used to brain wash and scare little school children then please post a long termed unbiased study that proves that everything is manmade !! I have had no disruptions to my life from anything you preach of . birds are loosing habitat from urban creep and not climate change ! if anything birds should be loving the newly exposed lands ,more food sources . Forest fire have been going on in the country even before man was here and will continue the only difference is that some folks have decided to build their homes in fire prone areas and stupid people who are careless with fire ! How the hell do you propose to stop natural lighting strikes that start most forest fires ????? As for food prices get the govt. out of the food business and let the free market take care of itself !! We have farms in this area and sorry to tell you all were late planting this spring WHY? because they had to wait for the snow to melt ,and warm up yea thats right WARM UP !! yes we know all caused by climate / globull /ghg's that not one expert can prove .
..........
How the hell do you propose to stop natural lighting strikes that start most forest fires ?????
..........
Are you serious ?
You might ask any first year electrical engineering student how to eliminate,to a fair degree, lighting caused damage.... it is possible.
that would address one of your concerns...
damage
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27933 Aug 19, 2014
delete the last word damage

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min one way or another 52,090
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr par five 11,428
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 6 hr 0smius 12,293
News Prominent climate-denying politician gets schoo... 16 hr Into The Night 82
News Judge Mayer's Concurrence in IV Shows the Probl... 17 hr DavidSBell 7
News When computers were human: the black women behi... 21 hr MITS Altair 8800 2
News What is going on at the Washington Post? 22 hr liberals suck 3
More from around the web