Expert: We must act fast on warming

Sep 24, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Kansas.com

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Comments
26,121 - 26,140 of 27,014 Comments Last updated Thursday

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only does the failing to capitalize the first word in a sentence distract from your arguments but the use of phrases such as "religion of warmer doom and gloom" indicates that there is little substance.
Yes there were a few scientists who thought the Milonkovitch Cycles were lining up to cause a cooling of the earth. That was before more rigorous studies have shown that mankind is altering the climate in the opposite direction. While the Milankovitch Cycles may indicate that the Earth is approaching a cooling phase, the data shows the opposite. That in no way indicates the science of the Milankovitch Cycles is incorrect but that the effects of burning fossil fuels are more prevalent. It is not "gloom and doom", it is simply common sense to approach the problem logically to be able to address future happenings.
so i take it that typo's really bother you ? so you're telling us that warmers are not some sort of religious nut cult ? most don't but those who truly believe the nonsense carry it to religious fanatasism . 1 degree in a hundred years and no fanatics ? really !
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Most college students at least start a sentence with a capital letter. The excuse that science is invalid because a few scientists predicted a comming ice age is a red herring. Of course the earth will cool and possibly head into another ice age. Someday. That in no way invalidates the fact that the world's resources are finite and that there is an upper limit as to how many people the Earth can support.
Brain_dead, who sucks up CO2 like a dandelion, has already celebrated that we have successfully mitigated the next ice age.

When we look at the world today, we must conclude that we have already passed over that threshold.

In its simplest refinement, every war ever fought was a population war. Somebody got on somebody else's last nerve.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> no no ! i haven't bought into any group i am not a warmer but i do remember in college when the save the planet movement was just starting that many scientist were telling us that the planet could only hold so many people because of the planet's limited resources and the upcoming ice age . that science and the worlds govt's. should , could, and would do whatever it would take to maintain the pop. level at the desired level of people . and by the way most of these same scientist at that time were all saying the planet was headed for another ice age and not warming . and the fear was loss of farmland to feed the masses not the snowpack melt . my how times and MONEY have changed the tune of the song !
soyou don't think spelling and grammar are important well when i was in college is aw the ice age stories but left my mind open to the possibility that they were inconclusive and kept an open mind about it to this day the scientists who were coolies back then still deny the fact or the severity of agw do you can you read this well enough or would it be better if i used the rules of english?

Your sloppiness of prose indicates a general sloppiness about life in general and science in particular. Your arguments are indeed affected by the fact that you write like a sixth-grader. If you are like some other deniers in these various forums, you have an extreme dislike of educated people and intellectuals, probably because

YOU AIN'T ONE!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

soyou don't think spelling and grammar are important well when i was in college is aw the ice age stories but left my mind open to the possibility that they were inconclusive and kept an open mind about it to this day the scientists who were coolies back then still deny the fact or the severity of agw do you can you read this well enough or would it be better if i used the rules of english?
Your sloppiness of prose indicates a general sloppiness about life in general and science in particular. Your arguments are indeed affected by the fact that you write like a sixth-grader. If you are like some other deniers in these various forums, you have an extreme dislike of educated people and intellectuals, probably because
YOU AIN'T ONE!
YES!

True.
litesong

Monroe, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

at home in lynching county wrote:
...... most of these same scientist at that time were all saying the planet was headed for another ice age and not warming
You might have been in college, but you took no classes in physics, earth science, astronomy, chemistry or mathematics. Reference books at those college libraries would have shown that 44 Science Papers were published in Science Journals about AGW, while only 7 papers were written about global cooling.

AGW deniers have tried your lie & struck out so many times, that the chucker pitched a perfect game.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

my response to all one degree in one hundred years ! one degree not 20 , 30 , 50 but one . yet i am the uneducated , ill informed , stupid person . when new york , hong kong , l.a. and all coastal cities are underwater then you may have a case but until then all of you warmers are still searching for the a truth that don't exist.

nothing with warmers is ever natural earth of solar cycles but always man .

but going back to my earlier post where i posed the question of you believers . how many of you practice what you preach , how many of you are totally off the electric grid , walk instead of drive , and have stopped breathing ? come on be honest . after all if we are to save the planet wouldn't it be best to decrease the surface population of the planet fewer people less pollution .

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU AIN'T ONE!
so we can all take it that now your mind is closed and that all the evidence is 100% conclusive that one degree in one hundred years spells total devastation for all ? my time is limited i don't spend hours trolling these pages so i am usually here a short time and to the point . i have better things to do at my age 81 than hang around with folks who haven't had an orginal thought in years ( sadly most of you became brain damaged while in college by your professors ). yep most of you were educated real good except for one thing none of you have any common sense , you don't have enough sense to open the window and see the planet's not on fire and cities are not under water ! one degree !
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

These deniers show up with same tales. They expect dino rains, overnight floods, etc even though extreme events do occur more and more and to more extremes.

All it is an opportunity to abuse people they don't know. It's so obvious they are not able to fathom what is happening.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>To another poster:

no no ! i haven't bought into any group i am not a warmer but i do remember in college when the save the planet movement was just starting that many scientist were telling us that the planet could only hold so many people because of the planet's limited resources and the upcoming ice age . that science and the worlds govt's. should , could, and would do whatever it would take to maintain the pop. level at the desired level of people . and by the way most of these same scientist at that time were all saying the planet was headed for another ice age and not warming . and the fear was loss of farmland to feed the masses not the snowpack melt . my how times and MONEY have changed the tune of the song !
See if you find this annoying too, lol.

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/0...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

cavemonkey wrote:
... can you read this well enough or would it be better if i used the rules of english?
YOU AIN'T ONE!
Priceless.

Now tell me what you think of litesout's grammar and writing style, or are you fearful of incurring his "injun" wrath?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

but going back to my earlier post where i posed the question of you believers . how many of you practice what you preach , how many of you are totally off the electric grid , walk instead of drive , and have stopped breathing ? come on be honest . after all if we are to save the planet wouldn't it be best to decrease the surface population of the planet fewer people less pollution .
They're a complete and utter waste of space except as a pastime to play with.

Since: Mar 13

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

If you believe in "Anthropogenic Climate Change" you should be in favor of Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers as the least expensive, reliable, VERY low carbon energy source available. If you don't particular lend credence to ACC, you should be in favor of LFTRs simply because there are the leanest, cleanest, greenest proven reliable power source available.
gretterweed

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

youtube.com/watch...
Amazing Global Warming 88 degrees today
njifgh

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

youtube.com/watch...
Amazing

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

ok so let's look , depending on who's ( study ) you read man made g h g make up between 1 and 10 percent of the atmosphere so we'll go in the middle and say 5 %. so this will mean that the other 95 % is made up of normal and natural earth cycle events . so we need to figure out a way to stop all solar activity from reaching earth and heating up the atmosphere , stop all wave action on the seas , river and lakes , stop any type of volcanic activity and finally kill off all plant and animal life , then all forms of ghg will be removed ,and earth will be just another lifeless mud ball floating in space . really how can anyone with a lick of common sense believe that a pesky 5 % is responsible for someday making the planet bust into flames ! one degree in one hundred years / 5 %!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>See if you find this annoying too, lol.
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/0...
at 81 i don't have or let much annoy me . even you warmers amuse me i find all of you hard to believe that you can in your hearts and minds believe this drivel . oh wait i forgot we have already established that warmers have NO COMMON SENSE - mind !

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

We've seen extreme weather events but atmospheric experiments testing the efficacy of climate change mitigation don't exist. Politicians willing to demagog climate are a dime a dozen too.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
We've seen extreme weather events but atmospheric experiments testing the efficacy of climate change mitigation don't exist. Politicians willing to demagog climate are a dime a dozen too.
i agree we have the best politicians and ( climate ) scientist taxpayer - special interest money can buy !
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

ok so let's look , depending on who's ( study ) you read man made g h g make up between 1 and 10 percent of the atmosphere so we'll go in the middle and say 5 %. so this will mean that the other 95 % is made up of normal and natural earth cycle events . so we need to figure out a way to stop all solar activity from reaching earth and heating up the atmosphere , stop all wave action on the seas , river and lakes , stop any type of volcanic activity and finally kill off all plant and animal life , then all forms of ghg will be removed ,and earth will be just another lifeless mud ball floating in space . really how can anyone with a lick of common sense believe that a pesky 5 % is responsible for someday making the planet bust into flames ! one degree in one hundred years / 5 %!
With 90 micrograms of LSD, you'd be trippin' far worse than you are.

There are radioactive substances toxic at the billionths-of-a-gram level.

Heard of deaths from spider bites? But spiders are so small!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
So are denier shills who let it slip that mitigation works.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••