Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28470 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

SpaceBlues

United States

#26894 May 6, 2013
Expert was RIGHT, we must act fast.

For the first time in human history, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels will surpass 400 parts per million, according Scripps Institution of Oceanography, which has been measuring carbon dioxide in the atmosphere at the Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii since 1958.

“The 400-ppm threshold is a sobering milestone, and should serve as a wake-up call for all of us to support clean energy technology and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, before it’s too late for our children and grandchildren,” said Tim Lueker of the Scripps Institution in a statement.

“I'm Hillary's Deplorable”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#26895 May 6, 2013
Human history is a blink of the eye in the life of the Earth. CO2 has been much higher in the past.

We need to emit more CO2 to bake our bread and light our way. Don't ban combustion because some luddites don't like the weather.
Dont drink the koolaid

Eden Prairie, MN

#26896 May 6, 2013
Bernard Forand wrote:
<quoted text>
It just seems odd that this Complex Computer Crashing Climate can be used to Tera-form by a single adjustment of one variable to achieve any change one might desire.
For example: Turn the CO2 knob to the left, and temps will drop. Turned to the right and temps go up.
That's it... all the science academies agree, it is that simple (not to be confused with 'easy') to manipulate the most complex system science has ever attempted to comprehend.
Does that not pretty much represent the climate science community's position on Climate Mitigation?
So, is this not a reasonable point for one to say... I'm skeptical?
Agree the Super Computers can only extirpate information that has been supplied in accordance to our present knowledge in Physics. Similar to when they predict weather patterns and discover that we still require further information with each time they prove to be in error and the amount of time that can be predicted. It is our first steps from the forest and it will take more than just a few hundred years of serious science and maturity to understand our existence in our surroundings.
CO2 is a factor but not the only factor and its interrelations with other gasses and elements. We made those knobs just as on the weather knobs. Now consider when they predict an Hurricane of the magnitude say 5 is about to hit your area. How many heed the warning and evacuate and how many do not and the results. I myself will evacuate. Even if they are wrong and misses. I can return and suggest to the weatherman to refine their information. Now if I stayed it does hit there is a good chance I will not be around to congratulate them on their knowledgeable prediction.
We can have Faith in our science or not. Personally ; They may be off the mark at times but I’ll will give it a most serious respect. Reduce my CO2 , pollution and actively seek Green Alternative systems I do presently have begun planting my gardens. Both in vegetation and solar. They way I look at it if they are wrong it wouldn’t hurt.“IF” they are correct then it would be very helpful to have my Gardens to enjoy and either scenario.
"They way I look at it if they are wrong it wouldn’t hurt."

Every science academy agrees that 'CO2 control' is all that is needed to save the planet.
The experts also agree that Man must act NOW or risk a tipping point... a point of no return.

Turning over the CO2 knob to a select group of people would, according to every science academy, allow them to control the worlds climate. And that would not "hurt"? Seems somewhat naive.... I mean what could possibly go wrong?

“I'm Hillary's Deplorable”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#26897 May 6, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
"They way I look at it if they are wrong it wouldn’t hurt."
Every science academy agrees that 'CO2 control' is all that is needed to save the planet.
The experts also agree that Man must act NOW or risk a tipping point... a point of no return.
Turning over the CO2 knob to a select group of people would, according to every science academy, allow them to control the worlds climate. And that would not "hurt"? Seems somewhat naive.... I mean what could possibly go wrong?
I like the way you think.
SpaceBlues

United States

#26898 May 6, 2013
Mini minds met and liked each other. WOW.
hey deniers

Overland Park, KS

#26899 May 9, 2013

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#26900 May 9, 2013
Can anyone still deny that the Earth is rapidly warming?

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/dAPCwgWlCWqY...
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

#26901 May 9, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Expert was RIGHT, we must act fast.
For the first time in human history, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels will surpass 400 parts per million, according Scripps Institution of Oceanography, which has been measuring carbon dioxide in the atmosphere at the Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii since 1958.
“The 400-ppm threshold is a sobering milestone, and should serve as a wake-up call for all of us to support clean energy technology and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, before it’s too late for our children and grandchildren,” said Tim Lueker of the Scripps Institution in a statement.
Agree the Super Computers can only extirpate information that has been supplied in accordance to our present knowledge in Physics. Similar to when they predict weather patterns and discover that we still require further information with each time they prove to be in error and the amount of time that can be predicted. It is our first steps from the forest and it will take more than just a few hundred years of serious science and maturity to understand our existence in our surroundings.
CO2 is a factor but not the only factor and its interrelations with other gasses and elements. We made those knobs just as on the weather knobs. Now consider when they predict an Hurricane of the magnitude say 5 is about to hit your area. How many heed the warning and evacuate and how many do not and the results. I myself will evacuate. Even if they are wrong and misses. I can return and suggest to the weatherman to refine their information. Now if I stayed it does hit there is a good chance I will not be around to congratulate them on their knowledgeable prediction.
We can have Faith in our science or not. Personally ; They may be off the mark at times but I’ll will give it a most serious respect. Reduce my CO2 , pollution and actively seek Green Alternative systems I do presently have begun planting my gardens. Both in vegetation and solar. They way I look at it if they are wrong it wouldn’t hurt.“IF” they are correct then it would be very helpful to have my Gardens to enjoy and either scenario.
SpaceBlues

United States

#26902 May 9, 2013
Wyoming Coal Mining - A global timelapse of our planet, constructed from Landsat satellite imagery. Watch as mines spread across the surface of Wyoming. Each frame of the timelapse map is constructed from a year of Landsat satellite data, constituting an annual 1.7-terapixel snapshot of the Earth at 30-meter resolution. The Landsat program, managed by the USGS, has been acquiring images of the Earth's surface since 1972. Landsat provides critical scientific information about our changing planet.

http://earthengine.google.org/#intro/WyomingC...
litesong

Everett, WA

#26903 May 9, 2013
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]Human history is a blink......[/QUOTE]

'lyin' brian' never blinked when it elected to not take science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc for its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa.
litesong

Everett, WA

#26904 May 9, 2013
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"] Don't ban combustion because some luddites......[/QUOTE]

Because stupid gas wasters only understand single digit mpg, ban stupid leadfooted drivers.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26905 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
There are no experimental tests of climate change mitigation; that's how you can tell it's a hoax.
You doan need no steenking experment, mon!

You already said we were mitigating the next Ice Age.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26906 May 9, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
An excellent question? All questions are good and if they provide an answer to the inquiry that can be incorporated into the individual's knowledge base they are also revelant.
But in this case, I have answered this particular question every other post.
It's hard to imagine anyone who would be asking the same question each time they post unless the repetition is an indication of a real lack of knowledge therefore the question is totally out of context with the subject matter being discussed, as was the case here.
In the classroom, that's called bait and switch. When the student can't answer they ask another question to avoid answering that which they don't know.
In this case, the questioning poster asked a question that had nothing to do with the original post. I answered it. Then asked another question, I answered. Then he keeps asking the same question eventhough I answered it.
Then there's you. Your amazing intellectual ability has been demonstrated by the accolades you apply to the poster asking the same question again.
You guys couldn't come up with a decent discussion if someone wrote it out and all you had to do is "Read it".
Or more likely, cut and paste.
Kinda like Brian, right?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26907 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I claim, if you let them restrict your CO2 emissions while temperatures are rising, they are certain to restrict the amount of CO2 you can take from the air with your plants when it cools. I'm warning you...
They can have my plants when they pry them from my cold dead fingers....
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26908 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Human history is a blink of the eye in the life of the Earth. CO2 has been much higher in the past.
We need to emit more CO2 to bake our bread and light our way. Don't ban combustion because some luddites don't like the weather.
If you have your way, human history will be just a blink of the eye in the life of the Earth.

But we want for our grandchildren to live.

Who told you to use Luddites in a post?
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#26909 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Human history is a blink of the eye in the life of the Earth.
I always knew that you were a fossil (and about as bright)
Brian_G wrote:
CO2 has been much higher in the past.
Not in the last 4 million years. And the climate four million years ago would have been equally unsuitable for the rise of a technological civilization. That may be why there was so little 'progress' until the last century or so.
Brian_G wrote:
We need to emit more CO2 to bake our bread.
CO2 from yeast is not an issue.
Brian_G wrote:
and light our way.
And electricity doesn't care how it is generated.
Brian_G wrote:
Don't ban combustion because some luddites don't like the weather.
A total non-sequitur. There has been no call to 'ban combustion'. THe issue is pollution from too MUCH CO2 going into the atmsosphere causign a problem with CLIMATE not weather. Weather is based on PROXIMATE CAUSE, not the long term thermodynamic balance.

As usual, BG posts a random collection of misstatements and irrelevancies. One of the LEAST intelligent posts on any issue.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#26910 May 9, 2013
Have you ever considered that Gaia may have developed mankind SPECIFICALLY to put CO2 back into the atmosphere?
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#26911 May 9, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Have you ever considered that Gaia may have developed mankind SPECIFICALLY to put CO2 back into the atmosphere?
No.

And Gaia is a term for the earth as an organism. And like any organism, you can say it has a heart only if you can find one..

The earths ecosystem has no mechanism to 'want' higher CO2 levels or to understand that developing humans would do so. If some sort of intelligence exists in talking to the planet as a 'being' then it would be much more likely that it would choose vulcanism to increase CO2 just as it has several times in the geological record (most of which coincided with massive extermination of species).

If it wants to kill off mankind, that is how it would do it.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#26912 May 10, 2013
Volcanism will only return carbon from limited geological areas. An intelligent tool maker can find it many places, and release it without massive destruction of the surface biosphere (self). Mankind is Gaia's solution to the ice ages, and it doesn't care if the solution lives. It may prefer that its tool dies after serving its purpose. ;)
SpaceBlues

United States

#26913 May 10, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Volcanism will only return carbon from limited geological areas. An intelligent tool maker can find it many places, and release it without massive destruction of the surface biosphere (self). Mankind is Gaia's solution to the ice ages, and it doesn't care if the solution lives. It may prefer that its tool dies after serving its purpose. ;)
So you got that out. Do you feel better?

Still wrong!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min Aura Mytha 45,485
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 5 min nanoanomaly 11,036
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 11 hr ChristineM 10,332
How to Recover Deleted Voicemail from iPhone 7/... 13 hr Mulalaya 3
How to Transfer Notes from iPad to Computer? 18 hr Andy DeVore 4
Transfer Call Logs from iPhone to HTC Sun AnnieChow 1
News iPhone Repair Company Offers New Replacement Pa... (Jul '09) Sun duongdoanh 34
More from around the web