Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180394 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#176441 Jul 31, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
Separation of Church and State protects us all. I think the a Christian faith is being attacked unfairly. The religious terrorists are the ones we should worry about, not spend time arguing over crosses and manger scenes. And why not leave those decisions to the local governments to deal with.
Politicians in Washington should not decide whether or not my City Council permits a manger scene in the town square in Tennessee.
Comparing the Christian Faith with the Taliban is like comparing Billy Graham to Hitler.
Both were very "religious," but one was filled with the Holy living spirit of God (love), and the other filled with evil ( hate). You do see the difference these two men made in this world, don't you? Can you give me scientific proof that this difference is not the result of supernatural forces at work in the hearts and minds of men?
There is no need to teach any religious belief in a public school. We do, however need to teach moral values and respect for the rights of others that a person of any religion or no religion can live by to make this a more peaceful world.

And Billy Graham accepts evolution.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#176442 Jul 31, 2014
Christian wrote:
You will never be able to do away with religion. Why do you fight so hard against the ones that teach love, forgiveness, compassion, and peace, when so many religions today are trying to kill those religions so they can take over your world and hang thieves, homosexuals, adulterers, Christians, Jews, atheists?

IT is unforgivable that forgiving Christians are such a silent majority. Don't you think they should speak out more?

Did Christ hide his beliefs about women and the poor?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176443 Jul 31, 2014
Christian wrote:
You will never be able to do away with religion. Why do you fight so hard against the ones that teach love, forgiveness, compassion, and peace, when so many religions today are trying to kill those religions so they can take over your world and hang thieves, homosexuals, adulterers, Christians, Jews, atheists?
One of the first things organized Christians did was to butcher an innocent Librarian, Hypatia of Alexandria. So how are Christians different from the other butchering religions? Oh and Hitler was a Christian as well.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#176444 Jul 31, 2014
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>
Separation of Church and State protects us all. I think the a Christian faith is being attacked unfairly. The religious terrorists are the ones we should worry about, not spend time arguing over crosses and manger scenes. And why not leave those decisions to the local governments to deal with.
Politicians in Washington should not decide whether or not my City Council permits a manger scene in the town square in Tennessee.
Comparing the Christian Faith with the Taliban is like comparing Billy Graham to Hitler.
Both were very "religious," but one was filled with the Holy living spirit of God (love), and the other filled with evil ( hate). You do see the difference these two men made in this world, don't you? Can you give me scientific proof that this difference is not the result of supernatural forces at work in the hearts and minds of men?
There is no need to teach any religious belief in a public school. We do, however need to teach moral values and respect for the rights of others that a person of any religion or no religion can live by to make this a more peaceful world.
\

I see little difference between the money grubbing Billy and Adolf. I don't know what they are or were filled with, but I'm pretty sure it was not spirit holey or other wise since you can not prove such a thing exists.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#176445 Jul 31, 2014
Christian wrote:
We can have religion without having the superstitious parts of it.

Your religion too is against that strange mix of one sin and a mixture of other activities. If you take the mythical parts of the Old Testament seriously you should take the laws of the Old Testament seriously.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#176446 Jul 31, 2014
Christian wrote:
I abhor radicals and terrorists of all flavors but you might want to stop singing Kumbaya long enough to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terror...
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#176447 Jul 31, 2014
One way or another wrote:
Do any of you have any thoughts about a trigger for the next ice age and how long it may take to flip from a warm period to the ice age?
Google Milankovitsch cycle.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#176448 Jul 31, 2014
http://blog.heartland.org/2014 /03/a-history-of-the-disastrou s-global-warming-hoax/
http://www.salon.com/2014/07/31/cnn_anchor_sh...
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#176449 Jul 31, 2014
Christian wrote:
Very simple, as far as I am concerned:
1) I try not to get away with religion
2) I only try to get away with the parts of religion that prevails revelation over reason and the bronze age mythology book over science
3) I also try to get away with the parts of religion that teach violence, indoctrination, terror, misogyny, hate, theocracy and war. Like you Old Testament for instance
4) those parts of religion are much larger than you pretend
5) and that part is much more intrinsic to religion than you would like to admit or recognize.

What I observe are radical, theocratic cults ranting around and apparently not engaged by opposition form the other parts of religion.

Hence, we, atheists and agnostics, do the fight.
One way or another

United States

#176450 Jul 31, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
cli∑mate
&#712;kl&#299;mit/
noun
the weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period.
"our cold, wet climate"

weath∑er
&#712;weT&#863;H&# 601;r/
noun
the state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc.

Morons copy and paste, without question.

Run home little boy.

Orlando

#176451 Jul 31, 2014
<quoted text>cli·mate
&#712;kl&#299;mit/
noun
"our cold, wet climate"

weath·er
noun
the state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc.

Run home little boy.
Read your own post, imbecile.
'Climate'= Long term
'Weather'= current or short term
One way or another

United States

#176452 Jul 31, 2014
When all the government scientists were claiming global warming, where was the moron with his tweets then?

The government and the media change like the wind, whenever they get caught with their pants down.

Didn't the government scientist and that moron with his tweets understand the difference between climate and weather when they claim global warming?

Can there be climate change without weather? When Weather engineers talk about climate control in a building, do you think they're talking about long-term or just what happens daily until the machine breaks down?

Keep copy and pasting whatever the government morons say, that's all you have.

Copy and paste Littleboy, copy and paste.

Orlando

#176453 Jul 31, 2014
<quoted text>cli·mate
&#712;kl&#299;mit/
noun
"our cold, wet climate"

weath·er
noun

Run home little boy.
More cut/paste:

"What is the difference between weather and climate?

Weather reflects short-term conditions of the atmosphere while climate is the average daily weather for an extended period of time at a certain location."

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/weather_cl...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#176454 Jul 31, 2014
<quoted text>
cli∑mate
&#712;kl&#299;mit/
noun
"our cold, wet climate"
weath∑er
noun
Run home little boy.

So weather is part of the definition of climate..... GET IT?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#176455 Jul 31, 2014
When all the government scientists were claiming global warming, where was the moron with his tweets then?
The government and the media change like the wind, whenever they get caught with their pants down.
Didn't the government scientist and that moron with his tweets understand the difference between climate and weather when they claim global warming?
Can there be climate change without weather? When Weather engineers talk about climate control in a building, do you think they're talking about long-term or just what happens daily until the machine breaks down?

Based on the EVIDENCE, climate change is a fact.
One way or another

United States

#176456 Jul 31, 2014
Aww, what's wrong little children, don't you have an answer?
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#176457 Jul 31, 2014
Posting his unsupported views on Topix ?
But glad you found twatter - can allow you to view your nonsense in only 140 Cha
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#176458 Jul 31, 2014
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on the EVIDENCE, climate change is a fact.
Hmmm, technically the above isn't quite true, not that I am a AGW denier in any way, but surely when talking of theories/facts a distinction must be made .... realize this subtle point will be lost on Jimbo but what isn't?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#176459 Jul 31, 2014

See how much people with Delusional disorder are alike. KAB and Jimbo could not be more dissimilar in terms of background yet their beliefs about their own mental perception is identical.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#176460 Jul 31, 2014
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, technically the above isn't quite true, not that I am a AGW denier in any way, but surely when talking of theories/facts a distinction must be made .... realize this subtle point will be lost on Jimbo but what isn't?

I did not state it was a fact. I simply stated that BASED ON THE EVIDENCE it is a fact.

Even facts are never 100%, except for the 2 absolute truths (cogito ergo sum...etc.).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 41 min Into The Night 61,869
How to sync Outlook with iPhone 7? Wed mikewilliams0977 1
News Sea ice cover at both poles at lowest point of ... Wed Baby It s Cold Ou... 12
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) Wed positronium 13,626
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Tue Stephanie Shipley 715
Recover Deleted text Messages from iPhone with ... (Mar '14) Mar 26 Natalie_33 25
News Early snow throwers made in Martinsburg Mar 25 Kim 1
More from around the web