Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180392 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#156381 Oct 10, 2013
one way or another wrote:
How cute, the children know how to regurgitate the written word. If only they had a brain.
So tell us children, what is the driving force behind healthcares dramatic rise?
Lol, I'm sorry, I shouldn't tease the mentally handicapped, evo morons.

Why do you ask simple questions that you can't answer but pretend you can. Remember, you have not had a lucid thought in your entire time here.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#156382 Oct 10, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well let's just congratulate Prof Higgs on his groundbreaking work regarding the origins of mass nearly fifty years ago, which had to wait so long for experimental verification. I doubt whether his political views have anything to do with it and I am confident that the science committees that award the science prizes have provided a pretty good reflection of the true pioneers in science over the last century.
Well done Higgs and the team at CERN!
Yes and I'd like to take the time and personally thank all the Bosons Quarks and Leptons for ......... lol

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#156383 Oct 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, here's the way I see it. If the Nobel Committee can make a big enough blunder to award a dimwit blowhard like Al Gore - an award for creating a pseudoscience agenda for Global Warming, a guy who got D- on his only college science course ever taken and has no credibility and no qualifications to speak of on the subject at all- then this reflects on the Board of Directors of the whole Nobel establishment, and reflects on and affects all other areas, like science, that are awarded.

You see through blind eyes.

Here's the way I see your whiny response. You don't personally agree with a decision because it invalidates your world view so you have to malign those who do not suffer from your limitations.

Many of the worlds greatest scientists have won the prize.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#156384 Oct 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, here's the way I see it. If the Nobel Committee can make a big enough blunder to award a dimwit blowhard like Al Gore - an award for creating a pseudoscience agenda for Global Warming, a guy who got D- on his only college science course ever taken and has no credibility and no qualifications to speak of on the subject at all- then this reflects on the Board of Directors of the whole Nobel establishment, and reflects on and affects all other areas, like science, that are awarded.
Why didn't you just say "The Discovery Institute and Answersingenesis deny AGW, so I do too." It would have saved typing and better defined your position.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Since: Aug 12

Northampton, UK

#156385 Oct 10, 2013
the photon is the fundamental elementary particle
of the known physical universe.

come on [email protected] me off wanna play.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Since: Aug 12

Northampton, UK

#156386 Oct 10, 2013
that's it chumps eat it up
major new discovery of mine
the physiology of the human body
is nothing but photons of light
rather than quarks of matter.

what i am saying,
will not derail latest discoveries into quarks.

but the materialist's must rethink on some
serious philosophical dialectic
of their own before inroads
can be made into this discovery.

everything that enraptured the photon
in the photograph snap shot of actuality.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#156387 Oct 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I figure we dodged a bullet when we almost got Gore for president. Though as it turned out we took a different bullet when we got Bush (and we took lots of real bullets when we got Cheney for VP).

As far as Global Warming is concerned, I was not real happy with Gore's limited grasp of science, but you have to admit that the issue is driven by economic forces on both sides. So, on balance, I was glad that Gore's side won some strategic battles. Global Warming IS real and we have to figure out how to do something about it. How much of it is man-made and how much of it is derived from planetary cycles is still debatable, but we still need to manage the damage.

“Don't get me started”

Minneapolis

#156388 Oct 10, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the guy that insists volcanos produce a million times more CO2 than mankind.
Then ran a mile when I pointed him to a research paper showing the opposite.
So remind me again who spreads the anti-science propaganda UC.
(To appleboy - told you you would get a BS answer)
<sigh>

“Don't get me started”

Minneapolis

#156389 Oct 10, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well let's just congratulate Prof Higgs on his groundbreaking work regarding the origins of mass nearly fifty years ago, which had to wait so long for experimental verification. I doubt whether his political views have anything to do with it and I am confident that the science committees that award the science prizes have provided a pretty good reflection of the true pioneers in science over the last century.
Well done Higgs and the team at CERN!
You KNOW what HAS to come from the ID folks next, right? It's just a matter of time before the creationists web sites start producing evidence that PROVE evolution violates the Higgs Boson. My guess is that it will be interesting and we'll learn a lot more about the Higgs Boson in the process.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#156390 Oct 10, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You KNOW what HAS to come from the ID folks next, right? It's just a matter of time before the creationists web sites start producing evidence that PROVE evolution violates the Higgs Boson. My guess is that it will be interesting and we'll learn a lot more about the Higgs Boson in the process.

Well of course. The Higgs is evidence of Godless gravity and not God magically poofing things in a downward direction. It denies God and therefore is nothing more than an atheist agenda eliminate God from the schools and society. The Higgsists are in league with the Darwinists and their 160 year old global conspiracy and forcing all scientists to fall into line or be ostracized from the scientific community and the big bucks they make to keep the FACT of magic poofing (gravity and origins) under the table.

Or something like that.
Mugwump

Sunderland, UK

#156391 Oct 10, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it disproves evolution , I mean it is called the god particle (snicker)

As an aside - a physics joke

Barman : sorry we don't serve faster than light particles in here.
Two neutrinos walk into a bar.

(Okay it's not up to date , but IS funny)
Mugwump

Sunderland, UK

#156392 Oct 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Well of course. The Higgs is evidence of Godless gravity and not God magically poofing things in a downward direction. It denies God and therefore is nothing more than an atheist agenda eliminate God from the schools and society. The Higgsists are in league with the Darwinists and their 160 year old global conspiracy and forcing all scientists to fall into line or be ostracized from the scientific community and the big bucks they make to keep the FACT of magic poofing (gravity and origins) under the table.
Or something like that.
Has HTS hacked Dogen's account ?

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#156393 Oct 10, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it disproves evolution , I mean it is called the god particle (snicker)
Originally a catholic joke "you cannot have mass without the Higgs boson"

Physicists live on a more frivolous plane than most religionists, and make puns in a spirit of play that become deadly serious to the mud people of heavy religious conviction. Life, death, and the blessing of glimpsing some truth.

Even if you believe in God, can it be serious? The rhythm of the world is found in joy. God is laughing, even if he does not exist.

Location hidden

#156394 Oct 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the way I see it.

Creager is decimated for his ridiculous paper shot through with high school level errors.

UC thinks that evolution, thermodynamics, geology, astronomy, chemistry, and cosmology are all wrong.

But he loves science.

Not sure what is left, but whatever it is, he loves it because he keeps telling us that he does. And anyone who disagrees is a left wing nut job. Yeah right.

Location hidden

#156395 Oct 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Yes and I'd like to take the time and personally thank all the Bosons Quarks and Leptons for ......... lol
...their valuable contribution to the preservation of valuable antique dolls, none of which would be here without the unceasing contribution of said paaaaarticles!

Added merits to the protons, neutrons, and electrons for their particular contribution with a nod and a wink to dark matter and dark energy whose unsung assistance to making it all possible is often overlooked.

Lucy, Anabelle, and all high quality antique dolls wish to thank all the particles personally and especially thank Higgs for the mass essential for keeping their dresses down and respectable.

Location hidden

#156396 Oct 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sanguine that you attack Al Gore out of frustration that your assertions about entropy and applied energy have been consigned to the graveyard of interesting but silly ideas.

I am sure that the disembowelment of your thermodynamic notions will not temper your creationist fervor one iota, and that you will be back with new "arguments".

Your self involved ego DEMANDS that so long as you repent your sins, you shall be given everlasting life. Pretense...humility. Actuality...ego denial of death.

A man knows where he ends. No reward. The end. The reward was living well.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#156397 Oct 10, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>

That is even better than a neutron walking in into a bar and order a drink and asking how much does he owe and the bartender says, "for you there's no charge!"

And maybe even funnier than:
Q: What do particle physicists hate doing at football games?
A: The Wave

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#156398 Oct 10, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Has HTS hacked Dogen's account ?

Did I leave off the "/scarcasm" again?

Location hidden

#156399 Oct 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
the defintition of craven, spastic, undignified, low, craven....

oooh forgive me let me live.........

Puke. To answer, but worse, to be asked.
Mugwump

Sunderland, UK

#156401 Oct 10, 2013
one way or another wrote:
The evo children beat every subject to death, thousands of times over.
The definition of insanity is, doing the same things over and over, expecting a different outcome.
If a persons words are worth something, they need say it only once.
So why do you keep posting your new "science" again and again, even though it gets rebutted by most and ignored by the cretards (even after you spent a week asking for their review, but they still ignored you - why do you think that is?)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Dogen 70,561
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 8 hr 0smius 14,163
News The AI fight is escalating: This is the IT gian... 12 hr Julzee111 1
News If FBI wants to talk to Jared Kushner about Rus... 21 hr spud 3
Access: Invalid database object 22 hr RMcKee 2
60W Digiflavor WildFire TC Kit, Compact size, U... Sat luckyluckyluke 1
DVDFab Passkey 9.1.1.8 Updated! May 26 dvdlover 1
More from around the web