Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
HTS

Englewood, CO

#153977 Sep 20, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You stop just when you almost get to a point.
What if you cool the body down to zero?
200 below zero?
Near absolute zero?
What happens to the rate of decay then?
Then the only decay will be caused by radiation (energy). That would also warm the cadaver slightly, but that is not the point.
Don't be afraid to think things through.
I'm not disputing that lowering the temperature of a dead body won't slow down decomposition.
The problem is that when a person dies of hypothermia, the result of lowered body temperature is immediate and dramaatic decomposition... that contradicts Polymath's interpretation of the SLoT equations.

“GOD OF ALL”

Since: Aug 12

London, UK

#153978 Sep 20, 2013
making a computer out of the latest
giga matrixes of nano fusion,
or cyber alien ware compatible to
organic control panels and
deft wares.

gismos of all kinds maelstrom into
a thinking vortex of computational logic
and quantum mechanical
hard ware devices.

soft ware of all kinds
bespoke, the false idol
of the robotic machine
in replacement of the intellectual capacities
in recall memory abound.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#153979 Sep 20, 2013
you guys need to be introduced to deft ware.
its a new new horizon everyday out there in nano cyber worlds.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#153980 Sep 20, 2013
love is all that matters.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#153981 Sep 20, 2013
love the world and it will hate you back.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#153982 Sep 20, 2013
science shall live forever,
no brains will perish each and every day.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#153983 Sep 20, 2013
love will find a way.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#153984 Sep 20, 2013
a masters computers works faster at multi tasking.

“GOD OF ALL”

London, UK

#153985 Sep 20, 2013
action speaks louder than words.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#153986 Sep 20, 2013
one way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say, as poly claimed, that all the galaxies fartherest from us move faster than all the ones closer to us, since you have decided to
protect poly?
That was poly's claim, not what you brought, but then you're an idiot, following idiots.
Holy shit, you're an imbecile.

AGAIN....

"... that this Doppler-shift-measured velocity, of various galaxies receding from the Earth, is proportional to their distance from the Earth and all other interstellar bodies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble 's_law

Note #2.
Putz.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#153987 Sep 20, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Only an uneducated fool would believe your rambling here.
The most document person to ever walk the planet, who literally has all of time pointing to him "BC & AD"
And you stick your head in the sand.
How is it that your version or 'take' on Christianity is any more right then the people quoted in my post??

Do you have special, or any, qualifications that allow you to say with confidence that they are wrong and you are right??

I don't think you do....
forreal

Corpus Christi, TX

#153988 Sep 20, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it born?
Then it has time to evolve.
Individuals do not evolve during their lifetime. What DOES happen is that an organism will reproduce, and that offspring will be slightly different (due to mutations). So a Mayfly has offspring, then that offspring will be slightly different. And if that one has offspring, then that offspring will be slightly different again. And so on and so forth. Over time these changes accumulate. That is evolution.
Oh I see a cripple Mayfly in the works with your thought!

Since: Sep 13

Coarsegold, CA

#153989 Sep 20, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Targeting virus vulnerabilities has nothing to do with natural selection. The ToE is about what happens when nature is not tampered with. It's about the "natural" in natural selection.
Of course the math will be different, because the results will be different when natural selection has been suspended.
Now if you want to consider the history of HIV in unprotected human populations there might be some room to reference it in evolutionary terms.
For instance, back in the early 90s there was a tick infestation that decimated the lion population. But after 25 years the lion population has come back strong. What happened? Did the lions change? Did the ticks change? I don't know the answer, but I'm sure that biologists are very interested in this.
All real, measurable and repeatable empirical examples of mutation and selection behave exactly like the HIV example. There are no empirical examples that demonstrate otherwise. Evolutionist folklore claims that the multiplication rule of probabilities does not apply to biological evolution. Perhaps you are going to claim that mutations are not random events in nature?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#153991 Sep 20, 2013
<quoted text>
The simply give us the readings you fruking moron. Proportional to their distance means nothing and it said nothing about all the outer galaxies. Science was careful to say, VARIOUS GALAXIES YOU MORON, NOT ALL the outside galaxies as poly moron claimed, but hey, you're an idiot, no one expects you to get anything right.
I give up trying to teach you.

There are houseplants that could pick this stuff up easier than you.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#153992 Sep 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Where does it say, as poly claimed, that all the galaxies fartherest from us move faster than all the ones closer to us, since you have decided to
protect poly?
That was poly's claim, not what you brought, but then you're an idiot, following idiots.
It says it when it says that the velocity is proportional to the distance from us. If you understood what that means, you would realize that a galaxy twice as far away is moving away at twice the speed. If anything, it says what I said and gives more detail about exactly how the speed changes with distance.

Since: Sep 13

Coarsegold, CA

#153993 Sep 20, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet, even though I suggested you post your whole set of equations along with input values (based on empirical observation).
You didn't - you seem more interested in drip feeding it.
In fact I challenged you to provide values for just two of your variables- same result, nothing.
There is a phrase called GIGO that I am sure you know, but you have yet to demonstrate that your math isn't going to involve garbage in.
Why is that do you think?
I've already posted the correct probability function for a beneficial mutation “A” to occur in population size “n”, number of generations “m”, and mutation rate of “mu”. Here, I'll post the equation again for you:
P(A)= 1 -(1 – P(beneficial)*mu)^m*n
Now, what is the joint probability of a beneficial mutation “B” to occur on some member of the subpopulation that already has mutation “A”?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#153994 Sep 20, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me rephrase this...
A person suddendly dies of hypothermia when his core body temperature gradually drops to 65 degrees.
Autolysis immediately begins.
His body temperature drops more...now it's 50 degrees...45 degrees. You cannot reverse the autolysis by lowering the body temperature.
I never claimed that you could.
You cannot simply state that the lowered entropy generated through cooling counterbalances the massive decomposition. The heat generated through autolysis is minimal...
The body is mostly water. Water cooling will release heat. That means less entropy. The slight increase from decomposition (which does release heat also) doesn't compare.
Decomposition occurs in an irreversible manner, regardless of how much you cool the body. Yes, you can refrigerate the body to 42 degrees and that will slow it down substantially, but it will not stop it.
Yes, so? Did I say anything different? I agree that the decomposition is irreversible.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#153995 Sep 20, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I would expect, if Polymath and Chimney are correct, that autolysis could be reversed by lowering the body temperature even more.
Why would you expect that? It shows a significant lack of understanding of what is going on. But then, that is no surprise.
Autolysis results in increased entropy... no question.
Yes, it increases entropy. But cooling decreases entropy.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#153996 Sep 20, 2013
<quoted text>
The simply give us the readings you fruking moron. Proportional to their distance means nothing and it said nothing about all the outer galaxies. Science was careful to say, VARIOUS GALAXIES YOU MORON, NOT ALL the outside galaxies as poly moron claimed, but hey, you're an idiot, no one expects you to get anything right.
All the galaxies outside the immediate gravitational field of our own, yes. What Hubble discovered is that the farther you move away, the greater the speed at which galaxies are moving away. That isn't new stuff. it is about 90 years old and can be found in multiple sources if you care to look.

Once again, you should be careful about calling anyone an idiot when you should so little understanding yourself.

Or are you simply a troll?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#153997 Sep 20, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Ergo the universe rather likely had ice long before it had life.
yes, it did. Certainly long before it had life on earth.
Oh, and it took at least 9 billion years before there was life on Earth.
Well, it is difficult to have life on earth before the earth existed. And the earth didn't form until about 9 billion years into the current expansion of the universe. Once it formed and cooled enough to have stable polymers, life seems to have formed fairly quickly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirty Secret Affects Every Phone User 2 hr One way or another 2
a Google, Microsoft battle Marriott's plan to b... 4 hr merchsolutionsusa 1
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone 4 w... (Feb '13) 5 hr Timotion 60
What is EDM 700 Engine Monitor Systems?? 6 hr Pable Mackenzie 1
Synthesized Instruments 7 hr Truth Hurts 1
Why Japan has bet its revival on humanoid robots 12 hr DRUGDAEGUTHAIDEBD... 27
Japan's space goals 12 hr DRUGDAEGUTHAIDEBD... 2
More from around the web