Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180366 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#144418 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol... You guys still at it?... Admit it!! You miss me when I'm gone!!... I'm going to bed now but as soon as work gets boring tomorrow I'll chime in and fire your asses back up... Prayers for all of you... Goodnight... P.S. No I'm a southern catholic pentecostal... And the only one I'm aware of...

Who are you?

“Merry Christmas”

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#144419 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol... You guys still at it?... Admit it!! You miss me when I'm gone!!... I'm going to bed now but as soon as work gets boring tomorrow I'll chime in and fire your asses back up... Prayers for all of you... Goodnight... P.S. No I'm a southern catholic pentecostal... And the only one I'm aware of...
This is why parents should be more vigilant and informative to their children about huffing paint.

“Merry Christmas”

Happy New Year

#144420 Jul 27, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you?
Pat Robertson?

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#144421 Jul 28, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is nothing less than scientific to say we don't know when we don't know. Creationists use that as a signal to point to the Bible. Scientists use it as a signal to find out the answer.
I certainly think we are closing in on the origins of DNA and Life. But I don't think we will find them both at the same point in time. But that is, as yet, and untestable hypothesis. Hopefully we will know soon. Come 2100 those discoveries may be looked back at as some of the greatest discoveries of this century.
I agree with everything you said. Exagerraton of our claims only weakens our position and there is nothing the anti science brigade loves better than trying to discredit solid claims by pointing to weak ones. To say with certainty that DNA can be synthesised naturally with no previous DNA is currently a faith based position and not a scientific one. To say we are pretty confident that a natural process will be discovered is not, based on past performance. There is a subtle but crucial difference between these two attitudes. And to claim we KNOW how to do it is a wild exaggeration I have also seen on this forum.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#144422 Jul 28, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with everything you said. Exagerraton of our claims only weakens our position and there is nothing the anti science brigade loves better than trying to discredit solid claims by pointing to weak ones. To say with certainty that DNA can be synthesised naturally with no previous DNA is currently a faith based position and not a scientific one. To say we are pretty confident that a natural process will be discovered is not, based on past performance. There is a subtle but crucial difference between these two attitudes. And to claim we KNOW how to do it is a wild exaggeration I have also seen on this forum.

That isn't entirely true, we know that RNA creates DNA through reverse transcription. There are a few guys that think they have figured it out, if not completely , very nearly.

http://www.slideshare.net/mchiaf36/biology-ba...
defender

Chicago, IL

#144423 Jul 28, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you?
I'm Batman... Lol
One way or another

United States

#144424 Jul 28, 2013
Spin dizzy earth

Science by Jim Ryan

Ask any person to spin around 30 times and see what happens as they spin on their feet at maybe 3 miles an hour.

Then all we need do is consider how the earth is spinning at 1,000 miles per hour in a circle and yet, none show signs of dizziness or sickness from such.

The above implies that our cells are spinning to match the earths amount of spin or everybody would be sick and dizzy.

Any extra spin creates dizziness at the least, implying a pretty delicate balance, but hey, can you or science or anyone give a better reason for such.

Testing spin on bacteria

Another thought.

More science by Jim Ryan

Testing!

What if science gave extra spin to more creatures, great and small, even bacteria, would bacteria incorporate something else to deal with the extra spin? Could scientists see any differences under a scope, after spinning?

What could science offer bacteria to deal with the extra spin? What could bacteria offer to science in that instance? In other words, how would bacteria act physically.

Another thought

I think we've all seen schools of fish swimming in circles, surely that has something to teach about spin, as they do it on purpose.
One way or another

United States

#144425 Jul 28, 2013
Since whales were given such powerful voices, while water and canyons must amplify such, do you think that like bacteria, the whales work together and tell each other where the food is or has gone too?

There has to be some reason they were given such powerful voices in their medium. Perhaps for mating and to help each other find the food they need.

As the smartest people say, leave no stone unturned! Morons only consider one side, even without proof.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#144426 Jul 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't entirely true, we know that RNA creates DNA through reverse transcription. There are a few guys that think they have figured it out, if not completely , very nearly.
fair enough. So somehow we have to add reverse transcriptase enzymes to the mix. Presumably they could arise from an RNA world information carrier. Cheers for that AM

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#144427 Jul 28, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Since whales were given such powerful voices, while water and canyons must amplify such, do you think that like bacteria, the whales work together and tell each other where the food is or has gone too?
There has to be some reason they were given such powerful voices in their medium. Perhaps for mating and to help each other find the food they need.
As the smartest people say, leave no stone unturned! Morons only consider one side, even without proof.
It is known the toothed whales do very effectively communicate as well as coordinate attacks on schools when hunting.
It is also known the other whales communicate and both take life long mates. It's a pretty safe bet they lead each other to food, but what they are talking about in whale song, is anybody's guess.
defender

Chicago, IL

#144428 Jul 28, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with everything you said. Exagerraton of our claims only weakens our position and there is nothing the anti science brigade loves better than trying to discredit solid claims by pointing to weak ones. To say with certainty that DNA can be synthesised naturally with no previous DNA is currently a faith based position and not a scientific one. To say we are pretty confident that a natural process will be discovered is not, based on past performance. There is a subtle but crucial difference between these two attitudes. And to claim we KNOW how to do it is a wild exaggeration I have also seen on this forum.
Yes exactly... And its just that wild exaggeration I'm talking about...
It's not science that I have a problem with... Teach all the theory of evolution you want!! That's fine and if and when any of the hypotheses of Abiogenesis bring forth fruit (not some nut job in his mothers basement) then I'll be the first concede...
But until that time (good luck with that btw) its wrong to push that which is unproven as fact...
defender

Chicago, IL

#144429 Jul 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>That isn't entirely true, we know that RNA creates DNA through reverse transcription. There are a few guys that think they have figured it out, if not completely , very nearly.

Never thought I'd say this but Chimney is right ( ouch that hurt )... A few guys think they got it figured out?... That's great!! They indeed may have the breakthrough... However until their research is confirmed how about we keep our shirts on and not go crazy overboard?
I've heard you guys say that Christians are afraid of science... Not at all !! Bring it on...

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#144430 Jul 28, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Never thought I'd say this but Chimney is right ( ouch that hurt )... A few guys think they got it figured out?... That's great!! They indeed may have the breakthrough... However until their research is confirmed how about we keep our shirts on and not go crazy overboard?
I've heard you guys say that Christians are afraid of science... Not at all !! Bring it on...
The thing is that even if Jack Szostak manages to develop life naturally using his processes it does not necessarily mean that he is right. HST confirmed that there are more than one viable hypotheses of abiogenesis, well actually he said the opposite of that, but since HST is ALWAYS wrong about science his saying that there are none does confirm that there are several.

Anyway, there are several viable hypotheses on abiogenesis. More than one may eventually develop life, that is sort of the self "confirming" goal. All we can state definitively is that there was some sort of abiogenesis event. Until we are fairly sure that at least one is true it is important to emphasize that all of the different approaches are still hypothetical.

It is nice to see that you admit that evolution should be taught defender.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#144431 Jul 28, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your wife says you have stopped beating her. Is that true?
(I am assuming you are not the neighbor who is the single stripper).
No, I'm the stripper. BTW, don't use the urinals in the club. The water is cold and very deep.

“Merry Christmas”

Happy New Year

#144432 Jul 28, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Teach all the theory of evolution you want!! That's fine and if and when any of the hypotheses of Abiogenesis bring forth fruit (not some nut job in his mothers basement) then I'll be the first concede...
So no abiogenesis work going on in your mom's basement then. You just have terrible allergies. Gotcha.
defender

Chicago, IL

#144433 Jul 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>The thing is that even if Jack Szostak manages to develop life naturally using his processes it does not necessarily mean that he is right. HST confirmed that there are more than one viable hypotheses of abiogenesis, well actually he said the opposite of that, but since HST is ALWAYS wrong about science his saying that there are none does confirm that there are several.

Anyway, there are several viable hypotheses on abiogenesis. More than one may eventually develop life, that is sort of the self "confirming" goal. All we can state definitively is that there was some sort of abiogenesis event. Until we are fairly sure that at least one is true it is important to emphasize that all of the different approaches are still hypothetical.

It is nice to see that you admit that evolution should be taught defender.
Evolution is a theory... Evolutionism is a cultist movement...

“Merry Christmas”

Happy New Year

#144434 Jul 28, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Fundamentalists are afraid of science. Speaking of fundamentalists what is it with this crazy trend you guys are establishing about posting your imaginings of people with their clothes off?

Yes, with the scientific evidence you have provided and your keen, cutting edge knowledge of science, you are clearly up to the task. I am sure you have amassed a huge trove of primary literature and this library stacked on those four pallets of kleenex in your mom's basement.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#144435 Jul 28, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to point out one of my lies?
Not really. I can think of few reasons why I would want to read any of your posts more than once (at the most), but it's a quick and easy request.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
defender wrote:
<quoted text>No it
(Intelligent Design)
defender wrote:
<quoted text>hinges on Scientific Fact... You can babble on all day but end result is the same... And it's undisputed...

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#144436 Jul 28, 2013
Should evolution be taught in high school?

Sure, but only if they can teach about KJV-Bible God, Jesus, and the Holy spirit as well. Give them a choice, because good will prevail over evil any day. No worries there...:)

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#144437 Jul 28, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a theory... Evolutionism is a cultist movement...
I really don't know any proponents of "evolutionism".

You are right, evolution is a theory. Theories describe the world around us. The theory of gravity explains how and why we fall. The germ theory of disease explains how and why we get sick. The theory of evolution explains how and why we see the life on Earth that we see today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min Subduction Zone 85,704
News 2 high schools in state to offer pilot program ... 3 hr Joey Farnslidd 4
News Global warming roars on: Past four years have b... 4 hr Thanks 5
News First Las Cruces Space Festival planned in April Sun SAM 2
News Wortham: Unicorns are alive, well and working t... (Oct '09) Sun ROAD FART 2
News Inside Clear Lake: (Aug '09) Sun FART NATION 2
News Real Estate Agents: Single-Family Homes a Hot R... (Jun '12) Sun has 259
More from around the web