Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“The strength of science is”

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#144325 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Your faith is Wicca ... Your god is natural selection ... It's really nothing new...
You are the spokesman for Creationism and God? Seriously?
defender

United States

#144326 Jul 27, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't yet had the opportunity to read "Blind Watchmaker". But I HAVE read the Bible, as I grew up in a traditional Christian (Presbyterian) household.

I **DID** look online for your quote. Among the untold hundreds of millions of quotes, and many by Dawkins shown in "The Blind Watchmaker", OR "The Greatest Show on Earth", yet there is NOTHING that comes close to Dawkins saying "I have spent my life trying to naturally explain what appears to be designed".

Then again, you also equated the Theory of Evolution with Wicca (!!!).

defender wrote, "<quoted text>
ID is simply self evident... Why should science have to refute it?

The only people who have a problem with ID are the members of evolutionism... Evolution is an unproven theory. Thats all... Evolutionism (Wicca) is the God hating mother nature worshipper's religion that has laid claim to this broken model and is now used as a cornerstone for their beliefs...
"

...so it's VERY clear that you're making shit up as you go along.

If you can provide a link to where Dawkins said what you purport, I'll apologize.

Until then, you're lying.
Good grief... Ask your buddy chimney and he'll tell you... Oh course I'm quote mining according to him but yeah I stand by it... I love Dawkins books!! High comedy!!!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#144327 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
No it hinges on Scientific Fact... You can babble on all day but end result is the same... And it's undisputed...
What is undisputed is that you've been caught in more half-truths, suppositions and lies than a carny selling Rolexes from the trunk of a Chevette.

Mind your 9th commandment.
defender

United States

#144328 Jul 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>I have read the book and your inference is bordering on quote mining.

Dawkins' whole point is that humans are apt to see a well structured complex object like a tree as designed, but other processes can explain it. That's why he says "designoid", mimicking the appearance of design to our "design-centric" bias.

He is not trying to explain away design. He is trying to explain why the presumption of design is incorrect.

And he succeeds admirably.
Yes that's exactly what he's saying... Thank you...
But as to succeeding?... Well...

founded in facts.

#144329 Jul 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
What is undisputed is that you've been caught in more half-truths, suppositions and lies than a carny selling Rolexes from the trunk of a Chevette.
Interesting visual. I have more respect for the carny though. At least he is lying to make a living and not to avoid the tedium of spending another day setting in his mom's basement in his underwear watching reruns of My Name is Earl.

My guess is that he googled a list of Richard Dawkins books and that is about as far into them as he has gotten.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#144330 Jul 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesn't have to, he can go to church and get forgiven on Sunday. This is at the core of religiturd hypocracy.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#144331 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief... Ask your buddy chimney and he'll tell you... Oh course I'm quote mining according to him but yeah I stand by it... I love Dawkins books!! High comedy!!!
I apologize.

Apparently Dawkins DID say something along the lines of the quote you posted.

You still took that quote out of context, but I won't split hairs (besides, Chim already went there).

Dawkins a comedy writer, though?

Perhaps to you.
defender

United States

#144332 Jul 27, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You are the spokesman for Creationism and God? Seriously?
Umm .. No.. Merely pointing out that yours is not fact...
defender

United States

#144333 Jul 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>What is undisputed is that you've been caught in more half-truths, suppositions and lies than a carny selling Rolexes from the trunk of a Chevette.

Care to point out one of my lies?
defender

United States

#144334 Jul 27, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>I apologize.

You still took that quote out of context, but I won't split hairs (besides, Chim already went there).

Perhaps to you.
Thank you Kong... As always much respect...

founded in facts.

#144335 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm .. No.. Merely pointing out that yours is not fact...
When are you going to move beyond the baseless assertion phase of your scathing attack and start providing evidence? Surely, stories of your high school exploits and close family ties are not the extent of it.

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#144336 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text> Oh ok so he did say it but now I'm quote mining? Lol... Even the smallest of things is hard to admit huh?
No. Your claim is almost as bad as me claiming the Bible says there is no God. Yes, it says that, as part of a larger context with exactly the opposite meaning.

Dawkins is NOT trying to make designed things look undesigned.

He is trying to explain why things that are NOT designed might appear designed to someone who does not understand the alternative.

No course nothing is going to help someone like you, who would do his best not to understand no matter how it was explained.

founded in facts.

#144337 Jul 27, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize.
Perhaps to you.
That is the gist of what Dawkins says, but I think the original quote by defenseless is made up. At the very least it is misleading and should have been posted as paraphrase and not a quote.

Once again integrity falls far from the fundamentalists.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#144338 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to point out one of my lies?
Anywhere and everywhere you claimed to have verifiable evidence your god or any god exists.

Dubai, UAE

#144339 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Your faith is Wicca ... Your god is natural selection ... It's really nothing new...
defender, are you someone who wonders why people in the Southern Hemisphere don't fall off?

You do realise that equating a simple and easy to understand process with a "god" or a great mystery merely makes you look incapable of understanding anything more complex than tying your shoelaces, right?

Dubai, UAE

#144340 Jul 27, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize.
Perhaps to you.
He did not say what defender claims, except in exactly the opposite sense that defender is trying to maintain. Dawkins uses the term "designoid" but draws sharp distinction between designed and designoid objects.
defender

United States

#144343 Jul 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>defender, are you someone who wonders why people in the Southern Hemisphere don't fall off?

You do realise that equating a simple and easy to understand process with a "god" or a great mystery merely makes you look incapable of understanding anything more complex than tying your shoelaces, right?
Once again... I pointed out that the FACT that mutation has never been proven to bring about species change... This is one of the bed rocks of ToE... All of your insults can't change that.. I'm sorry... For all of your so called mountains of evidence this should be a small feat...
But hey feel free to keep side stepping... I used to it from you guys...

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#144344 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Plethora of evidence that has failed... If any held water this debate is over... No evidence for design? Again I quote Dawkins " I have spent my life trying to naturally explain what appears to be designed"
Life cannot survive on random chaos... It appears to be designed because it is...
When creatards quote without proper links we know it is a lie.

Why do you think it is okay to lie for Jesus?

Actually there are two lies in this post. You imply that evolution arises only from random processes. You know that is a lie too.

Why do you think it is okay to lie for Jesus?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#144345 Jul 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
He did not say what defender claims, except in exactly the opposite sense that defender is trying to maintain.
You...you mean Defender is using Dawkins own words, taken out of context to [gasp] MISREPRESENT the intent of the full quote?

I'm SHOCKED.

SHOCKED, I say!

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#144346 Jul 27, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
No fool.

Wicca is a real religion. Evolution is science and not religion. You need to look up the meaning of the two words.

Natural selection is an extremely important part of evolution but it is not a "god". Unlike your god we can observe natural selection every day of the week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For all you have been given, what can you give ... 3 hr SoE 13
Optimize your website for locals (Sep '10) 3 hr Norman 5
Strange new fish discovered at record-breaking ... 3 hr Concerned_Citizen 3
Mint Streamlines Bill-Paying With New Mint Bills 6 hr Belinda 1
We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scienti... (May '14) 9 hr Johnny45 21
Police Blotter: Porch package snatcher arrested... 9 hr One way or another 5
Hackers pry into websites using 'portals of entry' 10 hr One way or another 2
More from around the web