Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180279 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#142479 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the term "honor killing" is an oxyMORON!
Doesn't matter. That's what they call it. Is such an act evil?
Believer wrote:
You of all people should see that as an answer to your foolish question!
You're mistaking the map for the place. The name is not the thing. I don't care what you think of the name, I just care whether you say such an act is evil or not. Every time you avoid answering the question, you demonstrate that you know your argument fails.
Believer wrote:
I don't have to go to your link to know the meaning of the term. Just because there is a term out there doesn't mean it makes any sense! That is a lesson you could stand to ponder!
Again, the name is irrelevant. The name is not the act. Is the act itself (not the name or the nature of the name or the possible connotations of the words used to compose the name) evil? Answer the question.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142480 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if evolution of mankind (or anything else for that matter) cannot be be proven (specifically the evolution of man), that would make evolution a religion.
It's been done. So, clearly it's not a religion. And, religion isn't "I accept claim X despite science not having demonstrated X to be true." If that's all you think it takes to make a religion, you surely don't think much of your religion.
Believer wrote:
Your faith is in evidence that proves nothing about evolution vs creation. My faith is in God/intelligent creator of all life.
If you choose to know something for which there is no proof, what is that but faith in the unknown?
I'll have bleu cheese dressing with the word salad. Thanks.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#142481 Jul 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you guys so hell bent on trying to prove that anyone who doesn't believe as you do are members of another religion.
<quoted text>
Proves? I suppose in your very limited use of the term, you are correct. Science isn't about proof. It about the best possible explanation always subject to revision.
<quoted text>
Could be. Might not.
<quoted text>
Sorry, no. You are the one with faith in the unknown. Science is the trying to figure out the unknown.
Scientists who do not believe in the supernatural/spiritual aspect of our existence (Truth) will never figure out the unknown.
The evidence isn't in the natural. The proof is not in the natural.
All the answers we need now and in the future, are and will be made known to us by the Supernatural God who created us. This is MY belief. You have every right to your opinion.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#142482 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists who do not believe in the supernatural/spiritual aspect of our existence (Truth) will never figure out the unknown.
Your truth. Not everyone's truth.

And science has already figured out thousands of unknowns. The unknown of lightning is what now allows you on the internet.
Believer wrote:
The evidence is most certainly in the natural. And I've warned you before about 'proof'.
Believer wrote:
All the answers we need now and in the future, are and will be made known to us by the Supernatural God who created us.
Uh-huh. Why didn't he add the Germ Theory of Disease to the bible? It would have saved a lot of lives.
Believer wrote:
This is MY belief. You have every right to your opinion.
Agreed.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#142483 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
...... Just because there is a term out there doesn't mean it makes any sense! That is a lesson you could stand to ponder!
You mean like, "In God we Trust!"???

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#142484 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
All the answers we need now and in the future, are and will be made known to us by the Supernatural God who created us. This is MY belief. You have every right to your opinion.
Define "spiritual."

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#142485 Jul 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate you guys including me with the dregs of society that we are!

Glad to help. I got to work on that unamerican thing. Maybe I will take my flag down.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Since: Aug 12

Ilford, UK

#142486 Jul 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you guys so hell bent on trying to prove that anyone who doesn't believe as you do are members of another religion.
<quoted text>
Proves? I suppose in your very limited use of the term, you are correct. Science isn't about proof. It about the best possible explanation always subject to revision.
<quoted text>
Could be. Might not.
<quoted text>
Sorry, no. You are the one with faith in the unknown. Science is the trying to figure out the unknown.
mike F mike F the betamax of Topix

god has been ahead of game forever. now that the cosmos has been decided completely lived he may now let us catch up a little on how it it was done.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142487 Jul 16, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And how come I am not further up the list , I'm bloody not even American !!!!
Seriously don't think he has thought this through.

Yeah, what could be more unamerican than a Brit? All you guys have ever done is found our original colonies, provide the basis for our culture, language, colors of our flag, and fight beside us in two world wars and a number of other conflicts.

Ba$tards!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142488 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if evolution of mankind (or anything else for that matter) cannot be be proven (specifically the evolution of man), that would make evolution a religion.
Your faith is in evidence that proves nothing about evolution vs creation. My faith is in God/intelligent creator of all life.
If you choose to know something for which there is no proof, what is that but faith in the unknown?

What the frig are you talking about? Evolution is an observable fact. Human evolution has been charted through 5 million years and at least 25 prehuman and human species. Genetically we are closely related to Bonobos and Chimps.

This is the science. Where do you get the nonsensical idea that there is not mountains of scientific evidence for evolution?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142489 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't usually know what "One Way" is talking about, and don't agree with much of what I do understand. However, in this instance, I think we saw the same documentary on the History Channel. LOL

What documentary was that? Maybe so, but I don't remember.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Ilford, UK

#142490 Jul 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, what could be more unamerican than a Brit? All you guys have ever done is found our original colonies, provide the basis for our culture, language, colors of our flag, and fight beside us in two world wars and a number of other conflicts.
Ba$tards!
no mugwump is exactly right here, you mericans think you own Topix or something.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#142491 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>

Yet science has not yet found any need to resort to the supernatural and keeps explaining things in terms of the natural.

When will science run out of explanations for the natural and have to resort to the supernatural? Why have we not got there yet?

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#142492 Jul 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that to believe in evolution in any way one must believe the "whole ball of wax."
I think you are making a valid point as far as it goes. Nobody should "believe in" evolution. They should accept it based on the facts that have been found that support the theory.

IN that respect, there is very little doubt that we evolved from apes, which evolved from earlier mammal types which evolved from reptiles, which evolved from amphibians, which evolved from lobe finned fish which evolved from the earliest vertebrates.

From there back to the most primitive microbes we have some understanding but the story gets hazy. Even more so when we try to account for the origin of life. However, on all these fronts the evidence continues to accumulate for natural rather than supernatural causes.

Now, the alternative to insisting that God is not part of the process or necessary, OR that God is part of the process, is to say "we don't know". I think that what most people are saying here is that based on science's track record and the leads we have, few in the natural sciences believe that God will be a requirement at any point. But of course, we do not know that for sure.

Scepticism by its nature is to refuse the whole idea of "belief", even in science. Its to accept the results of science where they are strong, and to say "we don't know" where they are not.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Ilford, UK

#142493 Jul 16, 2013
so you go yourself screwed by slush puppy.
not a bit of it.
some seek there revenge upon us.
will they get it.
not a bit of it.
will they keep their jobs
in high profile accounts in politics today.
time will tell.
i hope so.

failure to eradicate world poverty by 2012
failure to complete Israeli peace accord 2008
failure to....

come on your right.
that is the way.
they are responsible for every bloody failure in history.
about right chumps.
darn about right.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Ilford, UK

#142494 Jul 16, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are making a valid point as far as it goes. Nobody should "believe in" evolution. They should accept it based on the facts that have been found that support the theory.
IN that respect, there is very little doubt that we evolved from apes, which evolved from earlier mammal types which evolved from reptiles, which evolved from amphibians, which evolved from lobe finned fish which evolved from the earliest vertebrates.
From there back to the most primitive microbes we have some understanding but the story gets hazy. Even more so when we try to account for the origin of life. However, on all these fronts the evidence continues to accumulate for natural rather than supernatural causes.
Now, the alternative to insisting that God is not part of the process or necessary, OR that God is part of the process, is to say "we don't know". I think that what most people are saying here is that based on science's track record and the leads we have, few in the natural sciences believe that God will be a requirement at any point. But of course, we do not know that for sure.
Scepticism by its nature is to refuse the whole idea of "belief", even in science. Its to accept the results of science where they are strong, and to say "we don't know" where they are not.
dear chimney1 do you know how religious you sound reeling off what you have said
about that we are from apes fish and god darn it man everything else.
face it your a [email protected] son
non of your claims are proven by scientific math.
there is no math on this breed of shameless apeology
because this form of evolution did not take place period.
give me the math and i am yours.
its how i tick
its how i work.

Seffner, FL

#142495 Jul 16, 2013
the dark lord wrote:
so you go yourself screwed by slush puppy.
not a bit of it.
some seek there revenge upon us.
will they get it.
not a bit of it.
will they keep their jobs
in high profile accounts in politics today.
time will tell.
i hope so.
failure to eradicate world poverty by 2012
failure to complete Israeli peace accord 2008
failure to....
come on your right.
that is the way.
they are responsible for every bloody failure in history.
about right chumps.
darn about right.
Maybe Tinka could translate for us.
Mugwump

Leeds, UK

#142496 Jul 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ba$tards!
And what have you given us in return ???????

Saturday night Reality Tv shows.
Bruce Springsteen
And

Bloody McDonalds

Ungrateful Ba$tards

Seffner, FL

#142497 Jul 16, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And what have you given us in return ???????
Saturday night Reality Tv shows.
Bruce Springsteen
And
Bloody McDonalds
Ungrateful Ba$tards
Hey! Look on the bright side. We haven't shipped Pat Robertson off to you.

Yet.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#142498 Jul 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! Look on the bright side. We haven't shipped Pat Robertson off to you.
Yet.
I believe we can spare Ted Haggard. That should be good enough!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Igor Trip 52,239
News Global Warming Is Real: NASA Announces 2016 Was... 6 hr Hate Liberals 2
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 hr Kanoe 11,454
News Is this black woman responsible for inventions ... (May '10) 10 hr Harpies-R-Us 225
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 12 hr ryan 702
Honor V9 Dual Rear Camera 5.7 inches Smartphone... 16 hr allisonhu 1
News When computers were human: the black women behi... 23 hr Ms Mack 3
More from around the web