Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
138,441 - 138,460 of 171,381 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>OK, I thought we were talking about the rushing water drawing fish to the intake.
I used to know an Indian girl named Running Water that could rush a fish , spear it and cook it.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
Everything is patterned to do what it does. Systems follow patterns. Every system in our bodies is patterned to do what they do and all natural systems work by cyclically following patterns.
If what you're saying is indistinguishable from gibberish from the random paragraph generator, it ain't science.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
Abraham Lincoln only went to second grade elementry school and he was self taught. Don't be fooled into thinking only government ran teaching, will produce the best results, history tells us independant thinking has accomplished the best things.
Claiming to be "Home schooled" AND "self taught" is a losing proposition, trust me on that!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Every system forms itself, if it has a pattern to do so.

No. That is not an explanation.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
Everything is patterned to do what it does. Systems follow patterns. Every system in our bodies is patterned to do what they do and all natural systems work by cyclically following patterns.

No. Not true and also not an explanation even if it were true, which it clearly isn't.

You need to read a science book.

Pretty please.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
When we build something on a grand scale, we follow sketches or outlines as to how things will go together. Nature works by showing patterns and pathways in a similar way. Sequential step by step plans are to be followed.

No.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Polar Bears have been found 20-60 miles off shore, some of them may drown but if a bear can swim 20 miles off shore, I've got no problem thinking a penguin can swim hundreds of miles.

Penguins often swim 200 miles in a normal day just searching for food. It does not strain the imagination at all to think they could swim several hundred miles if they got lost in a storm or something.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Not true and also not an explanation even if it were true, which it clearly isn't.
You need to read a science book.
Pretty please.
I would venture a guess that FS has read a couple too many seance books already.

“Pope & President”

Since: Aug 12

Carlisle, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
And you need to use NASA's credibility because you have none of your own ..... right?
i have somewhat of a den:
but its a shared facility.
what i need is a command tower base,
for this i need government intervention.
and someone to liaise if not delegate
over spending rights.

scientifically i live out a Mac
someone said it kinda small time,
but the projects i am involved
with are anything but smalltime.
in fact some are of massive scale
and proportions like the
flag ship Uber Allis
with was the giant mother ship out of
'Star Wars' doing all the
astro physical engineering to
this space ship practically turning some
drawings into a real flyable space ship.

i am currently working with the concept
of nano space engineering technology (NSET):
as i have commonly called it.
Mugwump

Brighouse, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

the dark lord wrote:
<quoted text>
i have somewhat of a den:
but its a shared facility.
what i need is a command tower base,
for this i need government intervention.
and someone to liaise if not delegate
over spending rights.
scientifically i live out a Mac
someone said it kinda small time,
but the projects i am involved
with are anything but smalltime.
in fact some are of massive scale
and proportions like the
flag ship Uber Allis
with was the giant mother ship out of
'Star Wars' doing all the
astro physical engineering to
this space ship practically turning some
drawings into a real flyable space ship.
i am currently working with the concept
of nano space engineering technology (NSET):
as i have commonly called it.
Stop spamming and do something useful with your time

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! Where was this at?
She was a Congaree.

“Pope & President”

Since: Aug 12

Carlisle, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

NSET engineering and technology
NOKIA nano animo-people
NIKON nono space
Believer

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

Where there is no faith, there is no hope!

Where there is no hope, there is no purpose!

Where there is no purpose, there is no purpose.

HWHETHLHH

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Believer wrote:
HWHETHLHH
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“I have upset the hand of god”

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The siphon can be near the banks of the river and the main body of river water would flow normally.
Go to Google. Enter the search string "scale model water turbines for river applications". This will give you pictures and a lot of reading. Maybe you will get a better feel for the reality of these things.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Believer wrote:
HWHETHLHH
So as long as you have faith in something, you have hope. And if you have hope, then you have purpose. What if your purpose is to have faith and hope?

Since: Jul 13

Houston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So as long as you have faith in something, you have hope. And if you have hope, then you have purpose. What if your purpose is to have faith and hope?
If your purpose is to have faith and hope then your purpose is to spread the word of God. To share his glory and his wisdom. Or I guess you can be like you and have no purpose but to run down what you don't understand and run down what you feel threatened by. Let me guess you pray at times just in case, you probably go to church at times but you feel you have to go for other reasons than yourself because part of you think it is all BS while the other part says what if. Well all those choices are yours to make. Choose wisely grasshopper for you can either seal your fate shut or open your fate and go. It all comes down to you. But I can clearly see that you sort of want to believe but at the sametime you come here and feel like a fool because it dos not fit in with the crowd/clique. So to be sure you are liked now you run God down and just go along with the crowd. Hey that is all good if that is what you choose. Just be ready for the misery when you follow that same crowd to helll!

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, mainly in one direction - downward. Genetic entropy, remember?
we all know that

1. the majority of mutations are completely neutral.

2. Of those with an effect, the majority by far are deleterious.

We also know that natural mutation selectively weeds out the deleterious ones and reinforces the beneficial ones.

We also know that for evolution to work - or for anyone to claim it does not work - one would have to formulate an equation determining whether the positive effect of selection outweighs the negative effect of the majority of mutations being deleterious.

Sanford completely failed to do that. He DID manage some selective quote mining of Kimura and others like Muller (of the famous ratchet), and Haldane, people who really did work on the issue.

But you will ignore that. Just as you are desperate to make a mountain out of a molehill on trivial errors in a topix post, you are equally desperate to buy into ANY argument against evolution, no matter how bad.

I think back to your claims of Snelling's discredited quote mining of Coe and Prevot's REAL work. Or of Denton's claim about the nested hierarchy in amphibians and mammals versus the tiger moth...a claim which he retracted with embarrassment when he saw his own foolish error! But creationists know no embarrassment.

Think I am scatter gunning again? Not at all, as I have no intention of pursuing each of these right now. They are dead an buried. My POINT is that you lack all critical analysis skills for any idea that happens to agree with your a priori prejudices.

Admittedly even some supporters of evolution do that too, but its poor thinking whoever does it.

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And sorry, the data does not support that conclusion at all. The period covering post-war 1940s up to the economic recession of the early 1970s saw the greatest increase in industrial production (basically from zero to smoke-stack industries) yet CO2 levels actually decreased during this period. Then, from the 70s recession until a few years ago, industrial emissions have declined while CO2 increased. This is the opposite of what AGW would predict and completely refutes your conclusion.
Actually I was not getting into an argument about CO2 levels.

Originally, YOU made the claim that as a trace gas CO2's effect or a tiny total rise in CO2 would be insignificant.

I corrected you with the point that its not the total, but RELATIVE rise in CO2 that matters. An that rise is at least 30%, and its anthropomorphic in origin. I see yo shift the goal posts before acknowledging that point. I do understand that you think you will have a heart attack if you agree with me on anything at all, so I'll let it pass.

In any case, your claim sounds rather incredible. Not only that, but your logic is flawed. Even if we agreed that total emissions declined over a particular period, that may only slow the RATE of INCREASE, not lead to a DECREASE in CO2 levels. If I start you on a shot of bourbon every five minutes and then at the half hour mark reduce it to every 10 minutes, you are still gonna get drunker and drunker.

The empirical data hows a continual rise pretty much over the last century.

Now I will remind you again that I do not regard that as meaning we are all headed for climate disaster. It MIGHT, but I have some confidence in Earth's self correcting (negative feedback) climate systems. Also the effect is probably logarithmic in the sense that it might require successive doublings for a progressively smaller total effect. So I am not in favour of punitive attacks on industry and so on for the sake of reductions.

I AM in favour of every green technology development we can manage to reduce long term dependence on fossil fuel. It makes both environmental and geo-political sense.

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

SonRisen wrote:
<quoted text>
If your purpose is to have faith and hope then your purpose is to spread the word of God. To share his glory and his wisdom. Or I guess you can be like you and have no purpose but to run down what you don't understand and run down what you feel threatened by. Let me guess you pray at times just in case, you probably go to church at times but you feel you have to go for other reasons than yourself because part of you think it is all BS while the other part says what if. Well all those choices are yours to make. Choose wisely grasshopper for you can either seal your fate shut or open your fate and go. It all comes down to you. But I can clearly see that you sort of want to believe but at the sametime you come here and feel like a fool because it dos not fit in with the crowd/clique. So to be sure you are liked now you run God down and just go along with the crowd. Hey that is all good if that is what you choose. Just be ready for the misery when you follow that same crowd to helll!
In my view, Grasshopper's philosophy of life was superior to yours in almost every way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Science / Technology Forum right now

Search the Science / Technology Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
How to extend Windows 7 computer partitions? 28 min Grace 4
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 54 min SoE 5,057
House bid a stepping stone for space-focused ca... 1 hr Captain Yesterday 28
Ken Ham: NASA Is Pointless Because Aliens Are G... 1 hr SpaceBlues 1
Lee man gets probation for possession of child ... 2 hr cops are sexual deviants 4
Two new SETI programs will listen for aliens 4 hr JMWinPR 9
Australia is drying out thanks to our emissions 9 hr Jim the Hoax Denier 146
•••
•••