Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178696 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

LowellGuy

United States

#135773 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real, SZ. You know exactly what I am talking about. You won't be able to explain away the supernatural going on around us any better than you have been able to explain away Intelligent Design!
When you have no logical answer, but want to be heard anyway, you play stupid word games!
What supernatural? Such a thing has never been demonstrated.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Since: Aug 12

Ilford, UK

#135774 Jun 14, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sitting in front of a random BS generator ?
how would i know the off button to the internet
if i wasn't very clever.
yup it does Mugwump.
i know you get around a bit
but should you not be a member
something i also doubt already
make yourself one then
go on make Mugwump
after all said and done
a proper member.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Ilford, UK

#135775 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
The one logical statement I've seen written by an evolutionist on here recently is that Religion ( hopefully he includes the religion and God of the Bible) should be in the History classroom, not in the Science Classroom.
Frankly, I don't think many Jewish or Christian Believers would object, as long as our true heritage and the role the Bible played in the lives of many of our Founding Fathers is taught. That is FACT based on documented evidence. Therefore it should be included somewhere.
And before some idiot asks, no, I don't care if they teach what Muhammad means to the Muslums! That also is FACT based on documented evidence!
december 2013 is my benediction month.
an angel knelt before me and told me

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Ilford, UK

#135776 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
The one logical statement I've seen written by an evolutionist on here recently is that Religion ( hopefully he includes the religion and God of the Bible) should be in the History classroom, not in the Science Classroom.
Frankly, I don't think many Jewish or Christian Believers would object, as long as our true heritage and the role the Bible played in the lives of many of our Founding Fathers is taught. That is FACT based on documented evidence. Therefore it should be included somewhere.
And before some idiot asks, no, I don't care if they teach what Muhammad means to the Muslums! That also is FACT based on documented evidence!
life is a hazard in the classroom
come whatever the subject mate.
its a battle ground
were the weak are slain and the strong stand tall
geeks are fish and chip paper news.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#135777 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are determined to see everything as it relates to the ancient earth, you will never be able to make sense of a logical question that pertains to the earth in the recent past...I.E. AMERICA!!! And your name calling is so immature and shows your insecurity. You really should work in that, dear!
Now there is a pot calling a kettle black. Why don't you take your own advice and focus on what is today rather than what happened 300 years ago?.... "Dear".
Believer

Manchester, TN

#135778 Jun 14, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
What supernatural? Such a thing has never been demonstrated.
You are too funny to be stupid, and too stupid to be funny!
I could give you a perfectly logical and vivid demonstration of the supernatural but you would not be capable of seeing it, much less understanding it.
However, no one could ever convince me that you are not right in the middle of a supernaturally induced stupor.

#135779 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
It is not fact, it is assertion. Assertions are claims not supported by the available evidence.

An assertion better supported by the evidence than is the whole buy bull story is Saul/Paul of Tarsus and a group of his buddies made up the whole "Christ" story based on some "oral traditions" <legends> of his time.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#135780 Jun 14, 2013
the dark lord wrote:
<quoted text>december 2013 is my benediction month.
an angel knelt before me and told me
"...an angel knelt before me and told me"...

Really?

I would think YOU would have been the one kneeling.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#135782 Jun 14, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Now there is a pot calling a kettle black. Why don't you take your own advice and focus on what is today rather than what happened 300 years ago?.... "Dear".
Don't imagine you see much television, but if you haven't seen the one with the man sitting in the classroom with the children listening as they explain their definition of "more"; I hope if you run across it you will know that someone sees you as the little girl with the best explanation.

#135783 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't imagine you see much television, but if you haven't seen the one with the man sitting in the classroom with the children listening as they explain their definition of "more"; I hope if you run across it you will know that someone sees you as the little girl with the best explanation.
Why am I not surprised you see television as a primary source of educational material?

“I can never convince the ”

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#135784 Jun 14, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
The corporations of the world, made behemoths by the congress of the U.S., by giving them America's tax money by great advantage, now, like most every country, has had their heads of state either bribed or threatened with removal or death, while controlling the thrives in each congress or parliament or council or whatever law making body there is, nothing gets said or done without their approval. You cannot get a patent without it being taken from you, unless it is by their decree.
Ya know the show, the shark tank, that's to give the illusion of getting a protected patent, so that when others dare try to patent, the corporations steal it.
All the above is done through many forms of bribery, threat, intimidation, pitting one half against the other and most are willing participants, because the schools dumbed you down, to copy and paste automatons.
I watch as each day we are enslaved more and more, thanks to those just like you. I've watched these things happen since 1998, but looking back, I see they were happening since at least, 1971.
No one complains until they become the ones abused and stolen from.
You know that is fairly recent in a geological context.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#135785 Jun 14, 2013
OB,
Believe me, if I tell you I have Faith in God, you can take that as fact! The fact that you don't believe in God, does not nullify my fact.
How could someone evolved from nothing reach such an awesome state to be able to determine what is and what is not real . Especially in light of the fact that YOU have probably never proven anything to anyone, other than through the evidence you continue to spew out of your keyboard that you are clueless.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#135786 Jun 14, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Why am I not surprised you see television as a primary source of educational material?
Yes, a commercial with a childlike view of the world can be a source of something that might make a thinking person see the innocent mind of a child.
I'm sure that is not something you would find the least bit interesting. But, then again neither would a child, because they wouldn't understand .
Thank you for making my point. I began my comment as I did because I knew your critical and insecure mind would go there. If you are trying to make me feel sorry for you, you are succeeding.

#135787 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
The history of the religious beliefs of the founding fathers of these United States has been under severe revision in recent years by radical, lying fundamentalists. The United States equivalent of the Taliban. Those documents you mention are misrepresented or fraudulent. That is a FACT and needs to be said repeatedly.

The fact that the designed the United States as they did is ample evidence of there views on religion. Otherwise it would be just another dictatorial, theocracy. Our founding fathers were promoters of science, philosophy and free thought. They would have been advocates of the science and theory of evolution.

#135788 Jun 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
OB,
Believe me, if I tell you I have Faith in God, you can take that as fact! The fact that you don't believe in God, does not nullify my fact.
How could someone evolved from nothing reach such an awesome state to be able to determine what is and what is not real . Especially in light of the fact that YOU have probably never proven anything to anyone, other than through the evidence you continue to spew out of your keyboard that you are clueless.
Prove you are real and not just a computer program designed to post nonsense on Topix.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#135789 Jun 14, 2013
the dark lord wrote:
<quoted text>
life is a hazard in the classroom
come whatever the subject mate.
its a battle ground
were the weak are slain and the strong stand tall
geeks are fish and chip paper news.
Do you ever write something real, or are you just a fake poet and all we can expect from you is gibberish??

#135790 Jun 14, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean that burning box that tells you things?

#135791 Jun 14, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever write something real, or are you just a fake poet and all we can expect from you is gibberish??
That is funny Word. I was just thinking I need a Gibberish to English dictionary for reading some of these posts.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#135792 Jun 14, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know how. You can't even trick us so how the heck would you fare against a lie detector test?
What, you thought you were Michael Douglas in Basic Instinct?
Trickery is for deceitful people, that don't care about how well their brain works. That's called psychology.

Beating a lie detector is also psychological. Never interested in that movie.

“GOD ALMIGHTY”

Ilford, UK

#135793 Jun 14, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"...an angel knelt before me and told me"...
Really?
I would think YOU would have been the one kneeling.
i spend most my life in the chair.
i an not bodily disabled anyhow?
i remember i had some rubbish playing in my ears
some rap musical of a sudden
i got the feeling that something good was going to happen
its like i can see through people
i can feel their heart
i felt good about the call
then i saw now inherent flash of light
just the image of a kneeling madonna
in front of me
kind of imaginary buy real it was
in that you cannot see the image clearly
but the Carthusians know this as well as i do
to see god you have to learn to see with your heart
it said no it wasn't the madonna
and then she told me that my Benediction would take place this december
i knew of this the other year when i was talking wing lengths
well most saints have quarter wings
some have half wings
some three quarter wings
few have absolute benediction into godhood
full length flying wings.
i felt slightly hesitant
what if the evil British muslim state was to murder me
before absolute benediction on december
then a surf board would be sent
another thing that i had only realised the other month.
many on line thought the surf board odd
when i released the news.
someone from the bbc said
i recall if i don't get mine sent to me then your dead.
she then quickly left as she arrived.
around 90 seconds the meetings duration
should anyone be still interested.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nitrogen Powered Hybrid Automobile (Dec '11) 1 hr Sea D it sss 273
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 1 hr ozzmayis 7,438
News New Horizons completed fly-by of Pluto 8 hr Kid_Tomorrow 2
News JRE 1.8.0_60 Certified with Oracle E-Business S... 11 hr arthur 1
Outlook Express 6 - Address book failed to load Sun 13Olivar 2
News NASA is developing 3-D Camera that can take ima... Sun SpaceBlues 1
action replay codes for the new super mario bros. (Jan '08) Sat BurgerBoy127 927
More from around the web