Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180376 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#130362 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are on drugs, aren't you?
Dogen, the strongest "drug" I use is a few beers on occasion, and only rarely, a low-dose aspirin. Now read my comment again and just try really, really hard (concentrate, focus) to understand what I'm saying here:(I know you CAN DO IT!)

"Look at a dinosaur-era fossil, i.e., a sea urchin, and compare it to a living Sea Urchin (you can do this for ANY dinosaur-era fossil!). They look exactly the same down to the tiniest detail, yet the living sea urchin is called Eucidaris tribuloides and the fossil Sea Urchin is called Hemicidaris intermedia.
Now I ask this simple question: Are the differences between these two Sea Urchins (and there are none) greater than the difference between a Pomeranian and a French Mastiff?"

Here you have two Sea Urchins, one dated 65 million years old and the other living today. An exact physical match even though they have been labeled different names because of "evolution". Modern Dogs are all one species and range greatly, so I give the example of a Pomeranian contrasted to a French Mastiff. The difference between those two dogs are MUCH greater than the difference between the two Sea Urchins (which visually there is none). This was part of a larger discussion of the fossil record; however, if you really, really try hard I am sure you can understand what I am trying to say. If a small child can understand this, you should be able to also.

Miami, FL

#130363 May 16, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. Dishonest arm-waving bullshit. Give us a reputable link to a science website that says the consensus among all geneticists is deterioration.
<quoted text>
You don't even appear to understand what natural selection IS, much less how it works. Hint: it's NOT about the sexual attraction of one individual to another, whether she be Angelina Jolie or Phyllis Diller.
<quoted text>
Evolution doesn't "count on" any mutation. NS is not a conscious, directed process working toward a specific goal, i.e. Angelina Jolie.
<quoted text>
Irrelevant. See above. Sexual selection and natural selection are two different things.
<quoted text>
No. FALSE. Get an education.
NS occurs at the level of the SPECIES, not the individual.
<quoted text>
The "little child" would be greatly helped if he or she got an EDUCATION first and really understood the mechanics of evolution before opening his or her little yap about it.
I have referenced everything I said. And you are wrong about selection occurring at the level of species. That is just a weak dodge to avoid reality. Read the definition and learn something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selectio...

Miami, FL

#130364 May 16, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The most irrelevant (and annoying) distraction around here is you.
I have noticed this about you. You really aren't reading or understanding any of this are you Dogen? You just identify the "enemy" and spit out your perfunctory little insult or two and then without thought just mechanically move on to the next one. Isn't that right Dogen? You have been doing this for over 10 years now. What's the point?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#130365 May 17, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It demonstrates that a HYPOTHETICAL cell [unknown if it is even viable and capable of reproduction], could be formed BY INTELLIGENT DESIGN. What does that prove?
It proves we know what cells are made of.

Miami, FL

#130366 May 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It proves we know what cells are made of.
(We? LOL!) If YOU really knew what cells are made of you'd realize they are more complex than a modern city and were intelligently designed.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#130367 May 17, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You are as dumb as a post,
Your brain is no more complex than the DNA that created it.
Yet you think gelatin is complex and DNA is simple.
You apparently have no understanding of science, let alone biology.
So you have no valid response so choose to try and belittle you opposition, nothing more to be expected form one of so little understanding.

Pathetic

As has already been pointed out by several posters your understanding of science is abysmal yet you continually attempt to belittle science with what you consider to be science. In actual fact it is nothing but creationist waffle.

#130368 May 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Though Christine is arrogant and authoritative the one thing she is not is dumb. She is exemplary , look that up.
Thank you I think? But...

Authoritative, only when I am sure of my facts

Arrogant, me, hey, I am not American.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#130369 May 17, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
(We? LOL!) If YOU really knew what cells are made of you'd realize they are more complex than a modern city and were intelligently designed.
thank you for demonstrating your complete lack of biology education.

#130370 May 17, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>She thinks that a human brain is no more complex than a bowl of gelatin. That is unbelievably dumb.
Sorry to burst you bubble but you are the one that introduced the brain, don’t blame me for your mistakes.

It is basic logic based on fact, 4 bases, no more, no less - 1 – 2 – 3 – 4

Look up the maximum number of sequences a base 4 series can be combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_numer...
Parallels can be drawn between quaternary numerals and the way genetic code is represented by DNA. The four DNA nucleotides in alphabetical order, abbreviated A, C, G and T, can be taken to represent the quaternary digits in numerical order 0, 1, 2, and 3. With this encoding, the complementary digit pairs 0&#8596;3, and 1&#8596;2 (binary 00&#8596;11 and 01&#8596;10) match the complementation of the base pairs: A&#8596;T and C&#8596;G and can be stored as data in DNA sequence.
EndQuote

Then look at the geletin molecule
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hygel.html

What I think is unbelievably dumb is your limited understanding of science. To attribute complication to simplicity because you do not understand it is just pathetic

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#130371 May 17, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>We're talking about single cell life, not ice crystals. Your irrelevant distractions are annoying.
Nobody likes a whiner.

Seffner, FL

#130372 May 17, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Another anti-science rambling by an atheist stooge.
Bringing up religious beliefs again?

Seffner, FL

#130373 May 17, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have referenced everything I said. And you are wrong about selection occurring at the level of species. That is just a weak dodge to avoid reality. Read the definition and learn something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selectio...
I may have missed that. Where did you give the reference that the "consensus among all geneticists is deterioration" again?
LowellGuy

United States

#130374 May 17, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm... No life cannot just "start by natural processes" That has never been proven nor can energy produce mass... "Well it all just happens" isn't going to cut it no matter how much you wish it would... Speculation and scientific fact are two different things but that doesn't seem to matter to the modern day evolutionist...
If energy doesn't produce mass, then explain the expansion of the universe from a singular point. Or, are you saying you can not only overturn biology and chemistry, but physics and cosmology as well? When your argument is "everyone is wrong except me," the odds of you being right, especially when you've demonstrated such profound ignorance and stupidity, are exceedingly low. Not impossible, but hilariously improbable.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#130375 May 17, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to burst you bubble but you are the one that introduced the brain, don’t blame me for your mistakes.
It is basic logic based on fact, 4 bases, no more, no less - 1 – 2 – 3 – 4
Look up the maximum number of sequences a base 4 series can be combined.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_numer...
Parallels can be drawn between quaternary numerals and the way genetic code is represented by DNA. The four DNA nucleotides in alphabetical order, abbreviated A, C, G and T, can be taken to represent the quaternary digits in numerical order 0, 1, 2, and 3. With this encoding, the complementary digit pairs 0&#8596;3, and 1&#8596;2 (binary 00&#8596;11 and 01&#8596;10) match the complementation of the base pairs: A&#8596;T and C&#8596;G and can be stored as data in DNA sequence.
EndQuote
Then look at the geletin molecule
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hygel.html
What I think is unbelievably dumb is your limited understanding of science. To attribute complication to simplicity because you do not understand it is just pathetic
There is no valid comparison between DNA and a gelatin molecule. You think a gelatin molecule "looks complex"? Give me your rational for the claim that it IS complex.
defender

Tucker, GA

#130376 May 17, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>If energy doesn't produce mass, then explain the expansion of the universe from a singular point. Or, are you saying you can not only overturn biology and chemistry, but physics and cosmology as well? When your argument is "everyone is wrong except me," the odds of you being right, especially when you've demonstrated such profound ignorance and stupidity, are exceedingly low. Not impossible, but hilariously improbable.
It would be a problem if one did indeed drink the kool aid and believe that the universe is expanding from a single point... Cherry or Grape?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#130377 May 17, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no valid comparison between DNA and a gelatin molecule. You think a gelatin molecule "looks complex"? Give me your rational for the claim that it IS complex.
Yet all you have is that DNA "looks complex" as well. You cannot demonstrate what "complex" even means in this context.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#130378 May 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet all you have is that DNA "looks complex" as well. You cannot demonstrate what "complex" even means in this context.
DNA doesn't LOOK complex. It IS complex because it is a code that creates great complexities.

A computer code for the space shuttle launch is composed of 1's and 0"s.
A computer code for aa tic tac toe game is composed of 1's and 0's.

The computer code for the space shuttle is more complex than the code for the game. Neither code "looks" complex.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#130379 May 17, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>DNA doesn't LOOK complex. It IS complex because it is a code that creates great complexities.
A computer code for the space shuttle launch is composed of 1's and 0"s.
A computer code for aa tic tac toe game is composed of 1's and 0's.
The computer code for the space shuttle is more complex than the code for the game. Neither code "looks" complex.
Wait, what? Computer code doesn't look complex to you? You are deluded.

DNA is not a code, we have gone through this already.
defender

Tucker, GA

#130380 May 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Yet all you have is that DNA "looks complex" as well. You cannot demonstrate what "complex" even means in this context.
Yeah self mutating self correcting DNA just pop up from random chance all the time... Pshh its easy!!! We can prove it!!!... Oh wait I forgot we can't but it's all here so it must have happened right? Kinda like the universe just came to be from a huge big freakin bang from energy the size of a pinhead ... Lol... And you people make fun of Christians?
Stop and listen to yourself... Really?
Get a grip....

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#130381 May 17, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah self mutating self correcting DNA just pop up from random chance all the time... Pshh its easy!!! We can prove it!!!... Oh wait I forgot we can't but it's all here so it must have happened right? Kinda like the universe just came to be from a huge big freakin bang from energy the size of a pinhead ... Lol... And you people make fun of Christians?
Stop and listen to yourself... Really?
Get a grip....
Your cartoonish portrayals of science betray your complete and total lack of education and study. Learn something for a change instead of just regurgitating garbage that makes you feel good about being an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 40 min Science 78,491
News Has Apple Abandoned Egalitarianism? (Sep '14) 3 hr Apple overpriced 2
News How the most valuable corporation on Earth has ... (Nov '14) 3 hr Apple overpriced 3
News South Georgia man damaged retina looking at 197... 6 hr Common Sense 1
News On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism thre... Tue FCVK THE SNOWFLAKES 2
News Rescuers discover body in Modesto creek is Dracula Tue sir ran rap 3
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Tue Atlanta Puppeteer 738
More from around the web