Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#128997 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
SZ, I seee you're still at it, parroting the same BS as always.
<...>
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
SZ, you have never provided one iota of scientific evidence to support your atheistic religion.
<...>
You have no clue as to what constitutes science.
Hey , how about you providing some evidence of your more ridiculous BS for a change (ok the word 'more' is somewhat redundant).

E.g.

HIV has never been contracted through needlestick ?(Not according to the CDC links I provided)

The majority of the medical community reject evolution?(Not according to links everyone provided)

Scientific Evidence for god ?(You said you had some - but it was just 'look out the window'- so BS )

And .....

Your assertion that Hitler ordered the destruction of copies of Origin of the species, NOT because he was against the work and it didn't fit with his Christian beliefs (as is generally accepted and contrary to creationist lie # 1349) but because ...

<wait for it guys - some top notch rubbish coming up from HTS>

<seriously - he surpasses himself , it's basically a bowl of stupid starter, followed by a main course of delusion and ending with a cheese board of ignorance>

<he is the Mr Cresote of stupidity>

<ok here goes, suggest others put down cups of coffee, and stop operating heavy machinery>

HITLER WAS TRYING TO CLAIM DARWIN'S WORK FOR HIMSELF .

seriously , how do you co-ordainate breathing in and out - do you need a crib sheet.?

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#128998 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're so full of BS.
You keep parroting the same thing... insisting that I "earn the right to demand evidence?"
You're the one stating that man evolved from a worm.
Why should I or anyone believe your worthless garbage?
Because we have evidence that supports our beliefs.

You have nothing but a book of fairy tales, failed prophesies, false history, foul morals and a little tiny bit of historical accuracy.

You have lied in the past or shown incredible stupidity. My offer to teach you what is evidence will help you avoid these idiotic mistakes.

Once again, why are creatards so afraid to learn what is and what is not evidence?

Everett, WA

#128999 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you try saying something logical instead of rambling off with a whole lot of nothing?
Poor How's That for Stupid.

That was not rambling. I can help you to understand what is and what is not evidence. I don't know if I can help you with your lack of ability to read and understand sentences or with the concept of simple logic.

Perhaps creatards avoid my simple class because they know they would fail it. After all they do seem to be simpletons, each and every one of them.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#129000 May 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we have evidence that supports our beliefs.
You have nothing but a book of fairy tales, failed prophesies, false history, foul morals and a little tiny bit of historical accuracy.
You have lied in the past or shown incredible stupidity. My offer to teach you what is evidence will help you avoid these idiotic mistakes.
Once again, why are creatards so afraid to learn what is and what is not evidence?
Now you're really getting desperate, SZ.
Rather than defend your evo-fiarytale with science, you instead choose to ridicule the Bible... something you know nothing about.
A nickel's worth of free advice, SZ... bashing religion does not provide positive evidence for a scientific theory.
Perhaps you realize that evolution is not a scientific theory... it is nothing less than religion. You pretend to eschew religion, when in fact you are a religious zealout, preaching the message of atheism to justify your amoral lifestyle.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#129001 May 2, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Hey , how about you providing some evidence of your more ridiculous BS for a change (ok the word 'more' is somewhat redundant).
E.g.
HIV has never been contracted through needlestick ?(Not according to the CDC links I provided)
The majority of the medical community reject evolution?(Not according to links everyone provided)
Scientific Evidence for god ?(You said you had some - but it was just 'look out the window'- so BS )
And .....
Your assertion that Hitler ordered the destruction of copies of Origin of the species, NOT because he was against the work and it didn't fit with his Christian beliefs (as is generally accepted and contrary to creationist lie # 1349) but because ...
<wait for it guys - some top notch rubbish coming up from HTS>
<seriously - he surpasses himself , it's basically a bowl of stupid starter, followed by a main course of delusion and ending with a cheese board of ignorance>
<he is the Mr Cresote of stupidity>
<ok here goes, suggest others put down cups of coffee, and stop operating heavy machinery>
HITLER WAS TRYING TO CLAIM DARWIN'S WORK FOR HIMSELF .
seriously , how do you co-ordainate breathing in and out - do you need a crib sheet.?
Mugwumpl, why do you keep bringing up the same regurgitated arguments that have already been soundly debunked? If you have any positive evidence for your evo-fairytale, then let's hear it. Please dispense with irrelevant distractions.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#129002 May 2, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read this?
http://creation.com/antidote-to-abortion-argu...
Are you aware of what the person presently occupying the Princeton Chair of Ethics has to say about killing babies and children
Check it out--> Peter Singer
http://creation.com/bioethicists-and-obama-ag...
It is shameful and is the direct result of YOUR world view
First of all, what is shameful is the extent of the lies Christians will go to support their distorted world view.

No one is "pro-abortion" that itself is a lie. A manufactured christian lie. No one wakes up and says, "today I think I'll walk downtown, have an ice cream and an abortion." Yet that is how you christurds like to frame it.

Secondly, there is a world of difference between an unviable fetus and a 2 year old toddler. Equating the two is another shameful lie.

Abortion is a horrible option, on this, all sides agree. But it is an option that should be available to women at appropriate times in the term of a pregnancy.

What is hilarious, is most of you christurds want very little or no government to maintain individual rights, except in women's genitalia. There you want national reproductive police posted on every woman's lap.

#129003 May 2, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot, I hope you are aware of that
I would totally ignore you if it were not for the fact that I adore God's Word
The Bible is my ALL TIME favourite book
----------
"And they came over unto the other side of the sea,.... Of Galilee, or Tiberias;
into the country of the Gadarenes: in the Evangelist Matthew it is called, "the country of the Gergesenes", as it is here in the Arabic and Ethiopic versions. The Vulgate Latin reads, "of the Gerasenes", and so some copies, from Gerasa, a place in the same country; but the Syriac and Persic versions read, "Gadarenes", as do most copies; so called from Gadara, a city either adjacent to, or within the country of the Gergesenes; which was called by both names, from these different places. It was not far from Tiberias, the place from whence this sea has its name, over which Christ and his disciples passed, John 6:1."
Chammath was a mile from (e) Tiberias, and this Chammath was so near to the country of Gadara, that it is often called,, "Chammath of Gadara" (f); unless it should be rather rendered, "the hot baths of Gadara": for so it is (g) said, that at Gadara are the hot baths of Syria; which may be the same with the hot baths of Tiberias, so often mentioned in the Jewish writings (h); hence the town of Chammath had its name, which was so near to Tiberias, that it is sometimes reckoned the same with it (i): Pliny (k) places this Gadara in Decapolis, and Ptolemy (l) in Coelo Syria; and Meleager, the collector of epigrams, who is called a Syrian, is said (m) to be a Gadarene, a native of this Gadara. Mention is made of the whirlpool of Gadara (n), which remained ever since the flood. It appears to be an Heathen country, both from its situation, and the manners of the people.
(e) T. Bab. Megilla, fol. 2. 2.(f) T. Hieros. Erubin, fol. 23. 3. & Trumot, fol. 41. 3. & Sabbat, fol. 5. 4.(g) Eunapius in Vita Iamblici, p. 26.(h) T. Bab. Sanhedrin, fol. 108. 1. T. Hieros. Sabbat, fol. 6. 1.((i) T. Bab. Megilia, fol. 6. 1.((k) L. 5. c. 18.(l) L. 5. c. 15.(m) Fabricii Bibliotheca Grace. T. 2. p. 683.(n) T. Bab. Sanhedrin, fol. 108. 1.
http://bible.cc/mark/5.htm
----------
Kindly support your second contention with facts since there is no issue as far as I can see with pigs jumping into the Sea of Galilee
http://www.itsgila.com/images/sepphorismap1.g...
==========
More evo-road kill carnage on the highway to no where
Wow! That's quite the set of gymnastics you have to go through to make your Babble seem legible. Seems an omniscient God would have been able to do better than that, huh?

Speaking of which, why is your God always broke? I mean he's been around for so long, knows the past, present and future and still can't manage his finances well enough that he has to keep having his flunkies ask me for money? You'd think a Guy who knows everything could do better than that too, huh?

#129004 May 2, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance of Scripture is astounding!
Are you guys simply not educated there anymore?
Rules that were designed to manage a million or so Israelites in the desert for forty long arduous years do not necessarily apply anymore
Tell me you knew that....
Where does the Bible say the Earth is flat
Where is there any secular evidence that the Exodus and subsequent 40 years of wandering ever occurred? All the evidence so far seems to indicate it was a tall tale.

#129005 May 2, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says the Grand Canyon wasn't carved by Paul Bunyan dragging his axe behind him? That's the obvious explanation. Unless someone can prove it wrong, it must be true.
Is there anything wrong with that explanation?
Umm actually, yes there is. I come from a long proud Scottish background. And I know for a fact the Grand Canyon was created by my Great, Great, Great, Great, Granduncle Enos .... it seems he dropped a quarter in a gopher hole ....

<grin>
Mugwump

Rochdale, UK

#129006 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Mugwumpl, why do you keep bringing up the same regurgitated arguments that have already been soundly debunked? If you have any positive evidence for your evo-fairytale, then let's hear it. Please dispense with irrelevant distractions.
Because the 4 examples I gave of your insanity were not backed up by any evidence , and in 3 cases were demonstrated to be wrong with references.

This supports SZ's claim that you haven't got any idea what consists of evidence , hence hardly in a position to refute it.

Simple really

Unless of course you want to provide any evidence of your claims that I quotes above - your claims remember.

Otherwise your simply confirm my point.

So - want to provide evidence to back up your claims?

Nah, of course not.

(HTS - don't forget , it's IN , OUT, IN , OUT )

Everett, WA

#129007 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're really getting desperate, SZ.
Rather than defend your evo-fiarytale with science, you instead choose to ridicule the Bible... something you know nothing about.
A nickel's worth of free advice, SZ... bashing religion does not provide positive evidence for a scientific theory.
Perhaps you realize that evolution is not a scientific theory... it is nothing less than religion. You pretend to eschew religion, when in fact you are a religious zealout, preaching the message of atheism to justify your amoral lifestyle.
How's That for Stupid, where am I getting "desperate"? I have offered many times to give you all of the evidence that you want. You only have to earn that right first.

And I know that bashing religion does not support evolution. I do not perform the false dichotomy that you creatards do. Nor do I "bash" religion. I do point out the idiotic parts of the Bible, and there are quite a few of them. That is not "bashing" religion. That is simply presenting you with the truth.

And at the end you have to rely totally on lies. You know that you do not know what science is. You actively resist learning about it.

No matter how many times you repeat a lie it is not true.

So do you want to learn what is and what is not evidence so that you can appreciate the evidence that I have and will post again if asked? Or do you prefer to remain an uneducated moron?
HTS

Mandan, ND

#129008 May 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>

... Nor do I "bash" religion. I do point out the idiotic parts of the Bible, and there are quite a few of them.
Nice contradiction.
You don't "bash religion" except for the "idiotic parts."

Everett, WA

#129009 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice contradiction.
You are conflating the Bible with religion. They are two separate and different things. There are many different religions and to bash religion I would have to bash them all. I have only bashed a very limited view of religion, that of people who believe the nonsense in the Bible. I have not even bashed the whole Bible, only the nonsense in it.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#129010 May 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, what is shameful is the extent of the lies Christians will go to support their distorted world view.
No one is "pro-abortion" that itself is a lie. A manufactured christian lie. No one wakes up and says, "today I think I'll walk downtown, have an ice cream and an abortion." Yet that is how you christurds like to frame it.
Secondly, there is a world of difference between an unviable fetus and a 2 year old toddler. Equating the two is another shameful lie.
Abortion is a horrible option, on this, all sides agree. But it is an option that should be available to women at appropriate times in the term of a pregnancy.
What is hilarious, is most of you christurds want very little or no government to maintain individual rights, except in women's genitalia. There you want national reproductive police posted on every woman's lap.
A baby in the womb is no different in terms of his or value to a two year old child

YOUR world view is responsible for killing and butchering the most innocent of humans

Just look at the number today in your country alone!
http://www.numberofabortions.com/

Shame
SHAME
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#129011 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
SZ, I seee you're still at it, parroting the same BS as always. Your worthless posts have only indicated to everyone that you are an atheist hack who simple drinks evo-koolaid. Your consummate arrogance clouds all objectivity.
Amen to that!

Everett, WA

#129012 May 2, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen to that!
Poor Squishy is afraid to learn too.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#129013 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice contradiction.
That's the good news, the bad news is that you more than qualify.

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#129014 May 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor Squishy is afraid to learn too.
Nobody is interested in your BS.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#129015 May 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice contradiction.
The Bible is full of idiocy. So is religion, but SZ is only banging on about the Bible's idiocy. If your book is your religion, you're an idolater, not a Christian.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129016 May 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"I know of no finding in archaeology thatÂ’s properly confirmed which is in opposition to the scriptures. The Bible is the most accurate history textbook the world has ever seen."
-Dr. Clifford Wilson, former Director of the Australian Institute of Archaeology
http://creation.com/egyptian-history-and-the-...
Jewish slaves were never in Egypt. Next lie you want to try to spread?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min ChristineM 40,291
News Hacked emails show Democratic party hostility t... 11 min Denny CranesPlace 24
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 19 min Osmius 10,581
Complete Guide to Remove DRM from iBooks 3 hr salarri 2
News Lots of Wheat But Not Enough Protein Sends Buye... 6 hr Agent Orange - Co... 3
News How robot, explosives took out Dallas sniper 8 hr Bangal 7
News Kickass Torrents' huge file sharing site shut d... 15 hr filip3ff 1
More from around the web