Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
125,701 - 125,720 of 172,145 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
As I should thank you - and you fundie friends - for helping to build my aversion to fundamentalist wackos.
What's a fundamentalist wacko?

If you mean someone that will not compromise on God's word, then I'm happy to be one

Compromisers, like Dogem, are utterly confused and have no idea what they're talking about

People, like Dawkins, have a field day with compomisers, as he KNOWS that compromisers do not have a theological leg to stand on and that they are "deluded"

"Deluded" was the exact word used by Dawkins to describe theistic evolutionists and their ilk
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, of course not. Only creatards like you have a motive to lie.
In general lies eventually get back to the liar and hurt him. Creatards have nothing if they can't lie. You lost the Tyre debate so you continually lie. You lost the evolution debate so you continually lie.
Atheists, as a whole, are very honest. There are far fewer atheist criminals than Christian criminals. All up and down the population, atheists have better morals than Christians.
Another big fat lie

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
Are you fer real?
Have you any idea how nonsensical your arguments are?
Palliative care is an integral part of medicine
No patients are screaming in pain and being denied analgesia
Oh great! Get them an asprin!! Now that's a fine solution. I hope you go to Christian hospitals for your critical care.
Russell wrote:
No where is it legislated that an abortion should be denied if the pregnancy is a direct threat to the mother's life
Medical abortions are fine in the case of fatal fetal malformations eg anencephaly
But abortion as a means of contraception is downright evil!
An inconvenient baby in-utero to be butchered is horrific
Please see Jonathan Sarfati's excellent arguments here
http://creation.com/antidote-to-abortion-argu...
But they both still need to get a job, right??
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh great! Get them an asprin!! Now that's a fine solution. I hope you go to Christian hospitals for your critical care.
<quoted text>
But they both still need to get a job, right??
So are you also arguing that killing a 2 yr old toddler that is inconvenient is fine?

Aspirin?

Is that your idea of effective analgesia?

Don't be silly

I am talking legally prescribed opiates that are very effective

Pain incidentally is not necessarily a dying person's only or main issue

I think you are quite immature

And you have no answers for my answers to your claim that the Bible is wrong

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you also arguing that killing a 2 yr old toddler that is inconvenient is fine?
That is non sequitur and frankly a pretty disgusting red herring.
Russell wrote:
Aspirin?
Is that your idea of effective analgesia?
I'm quite sure it is yours.
Russell wrote:
Don't be silly
I am talking legally prescribed opiates that are very effective
That could explain a lot.
Russell wrote:
Pain incidentally is not necessarily a dying person's only or main issue
I think you are quite immature
You can think anything you want, but you will probably be wrong again.
Russell wrote:
And you have no answers for my answers to your claim that the Bible is wrong
You haven't addressed the demonic pig faux pax yet. And there were many more in the link you refused to follow because you are a coward.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Read Joshua 19:29
Its a land based city
It does not say that. That was your interpretation.
Its referred to as Tyre
It could also be taking about how you come to Tyre when you are travellng along the coast.
Its on the coast
No, the island is very very near the coast.
I am certain that KAB will concede if shown the evidence
KAB's opinion is worth less than nothing. Him agreeing with you would be a point against your argument.

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a big fat lie
Nope, it is one hundred percent true and we have demonstrated it time and time again.

It is not our fault if you believe in a fairy tale.

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, KAB disagrees, and says it was most definitely the island. You fundamentalist-types really should come to some sort of consensus about the ridiculous stories in your ancient book before trying to say they're true. One says it IS the island. One says it is NOT the island. Which of you are we to believe? You? Him? Why don't you go over to the Darwin crowd thread and tell him why his interpretation is wrong and yours isn't? Then, you and he can figure out which of you is right and which of you is wrong, and present a unified and sensible front, rather than the disjointed and contradictory arguments that you're presenting now. Wouldn't that be better?
Here's a better idea: Why not have a point of your own for a change?

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Another big fat lie
Squishy, you lie so much that you are no judge of what is truth or what is a lie.

Again, that was a true proven statement.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you fer real?
Have you any idea how nonsensical your arguments are?
Palliative care is an integral part of medicine
No patients are screaming in pain and being denied analgesia
No where is it legislated that an abortion should be denied if the pregnancy is a direct threat to the mother's life
Medical abortions are fine in the case of fatal fetal malformations eg anencephaly
But abortion as a means of contraception is downright evil!
An inconvenient baby in-utero to be butchered is horrific
Please see Jonathan Sarfati's excellent arguments here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23116...

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a fundamentalist wacko?
If you mean someone that will not compromise on God's word, then I'm happy to be one
Compromisers, like Dogem, are utterly confused and have no idea what they're talking about
People, like Dawkins, have a field day with compomisers, as he KNOWS that compromisers do not have a theological leg to stand on and that they are "deluded"
"Deluded" was the exact word used by Dawkins to describe theistic evolutionists and their ilk
Now Squishy, don't lie. You don't believe all of the Bible.

Let's give you an easy one: Blended fabrics yes or no?

You should kill people who have sex outside of marriage, yes or no?

The Earth is flat, yes or no?

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, just to be clear: you're saying that if you weren't religious, you would rape, steal, and murder.
Please, don't stop being religious. You're too dangerous a person to think for yourself.
Well, isn't that special.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
That is non sequitur and frankly a pretty disgusting red herring.
<quoted text>
I'm quite sure it is yours.
<quoted text>
That could explain a lot.
<quoted text>
You can think anything you want, but you will probably be wrong again.
<quoted text>
You haven't addressed the demonic pig faux pax yet. And there were many more in the link you refused to follow because you are a coward.
Have you read this?

Are you aware of what the person presently occupying the Princeton Chair of Ethics has to say about killing babies and children

Check it out--> Peter Singer

http://creation.com/bioethicists-and-obama-ag...

It is shameful and is the direct result of YOUR world view
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot, I hope you are aware of that

I would totally ignore you if it were not for the fact that I adore God's Word

The Bible is my ALL TIME favourite book

----------

"And they came over unto the other side of the sea,.... Of Galilee, or Tiberias;

into the country of the Gadarenes: in the Evangelist Matthew it is called, "the country of the Gergesenes", as it is here in the Arabic and Ethiopic versions. The Vulgate Latin reads, "of the Gerasenes", and so some copies, from Gerasa, a place in the same country; but the Syriac and Persic versions read, "Gadarenes", as do most copies; so called from Gadara, a city either adjacent to, or within the country of the Gergesenes; which was called by both names, from these different places. It was not far from Tiberias, the place from whence this sea has its name, over which Christ and his disciples passed, John 6:1."

Chammath was a mile from (e) Tiberias, and this Chammath was so near to the country of Gadara, that it is often called,, "Chammath of Gadara" (f); unless it should be rather rendered, "the hot baths of Gadara": for so it is (g) said, that at Gadara are the hot baths of Syria; which may be the same with the hot baths of Tiberias, so often mentioned in the Jewish writings (h); hence the town of Chammath had its name, which was so near to Tiberias, that it is sometimes reckoned the same with it (i): Pliny (k) places this Gadara in Decapolis, and Ptolemy (l) in Coelo Syria; and Meleager, the collector of epigrams, who is called a Syrian, is said (m) to be a Gadarene, a native of this Gadara. Mention is made of the whirlpool of Gadara (n), which remained ever since the flood. It appears to be an Heathen country, both from its situation, and the manners of the people.

(e) T. Bab. Megilla, fol. 2. 2.(f) T. Hieros. Erubin, fol. 23. 3. & Trumot, fol. 41. 3. & Sabbat, fol. 5. 4.(g) Eunapius in Vita Iamblici, p. 26.(h) T. Bab. Sanhedrin, fol. 108. 1. T. Hieros. Sabbat, fol. 6. 1.((i) T. Bab. Megilia, fol. 6. 1.((k) L. 5. c. 18.(l) L. 5. c. 15.(m) Fabricii Bibliotheca Grace. T. 2. p. 683.(n) T. Bab. Sanhedrin, fol. 108. 1.

http://bible.cc/mark/5.htm
----------

Kindly support your second contention with facts since there is no issue as far as I can see with pigs jumping into the Sea of Galilee

http://www.itsgila.com/images/sepphorismap1.g...

==========
More evo-road kill carnage on the highway to no where
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, it is one hundred percent true and we have demonstrated it time and time again.
It is not our fault if you believe in a fairy tale.
But I don't believe in the fairy tale evolution
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Squishy, don't lie. You don't believe all of the Bible.
Let's give you an easy one: Blended fabrics yes or no?
You should kill people who have sex outside of marriage, yes or no?
The Earth is flat, yes or no?
Your ignorance of Scripture is astounding!

Are you guys simply not educated there anymore?

Rules that were designed to manage a million or so Israelites in the desert for forty long arduous years do not necessarily apply anymore

Tell me you knew that....

Where does the Bible say the Earth is flat

Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
It is not one swalowe that bryngeth in somer. It is not one good qualitie that maketh a man good.

Medical bungles do not change the fact that killing the unborn is wrong

http://www.numberofabortions.com/

The vast majority of these are due to "inconvenience"

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
But I don't believe in the fairy tale evolution
Too bad you are too lazy to learn about evidence.

There is more than enough evidence to prove evolution.

You creatards have nothing.

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance of Scripture is astounding!
Are you guys simply not educated there anymore?
Rules that were designed to manage a million or so Israelites in the desert for forty long arduous years do not necessarily apply anymore
Tell me you knew that....
Where does the Bible say the Earth is flat
Actually I clearly know more scripture and math than you do.

Those rules are still in effect. They were never lifted.

And there are quite a few verses that refer to a flat Earth.

Perhaps if you didn't fail geometry you could understand them.

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Squishy, your problem, when it comes to scripture you have to be inconsistent. I don't. I know that it is a mixture of fairy tales, history, and morality stories.

Since you claim all of it is true you have to be inconsistent or psycho when it comes to the rules in the Bible, the same applies to the "science" of the Bible. I know that the people at that time thought that the Earth was flat and the Bible is written that way. I know the Bible has a lot of myth in it so that is not a problem for me. It is for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••