Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
112,621 - 112,640 of 171,556 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No. He gave us free will. The Fall, etc. Surely you've heard of it?

The Fall? Sorry, it's not in the bible.

The term "The fall" is an artifact of the KJV where they added titles to sections. The expression is not actually found anywhere in the text of the bible and is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the Garden of Eden story.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a fallacy, there is evidence that suggest everything was done naturally, with no supernatural influence. You cannot present any evidence of your god, therefore, your god is dismissed. That's how logic works.
What "evidence" is there that a whale "naturally" evolved a migratory instinct? You don't even understand its mechanism. What makes you so certain that processes that no one understands came into existence without intelligent design?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Holy Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe humans are alone in the universe? This will tell us your IQ.
He's an atheist, and a pretty intelligent person.

Tell us, do you believe in the bible? This will tell us not only your IQ, but also your sanity.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not likely that you've even had four HOURS of medical school. You would already have presented some basic understanding of biology. All you have shown is an impotent bluff.
Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What "evidence" is there that a whale "naturally" evolved a migratory instinct? You don't even understand its mechanism. What makes you so certain that processes that no one understands came into existence without intelligent design?
Red herring, can you ever avoid fallacies?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.
Now that right there is a blatant bald faced lie for all to see!

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.
Not if they are medically competent and have a degree ... oh wait, they need a degree to legally practice in the US, a real one too. So, you're wrong.

That was easy, give us a hard one.
Mugwump

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
Want to back up that claim ?
Mugwump

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to back up that claim ?
I am going to get some sleep - but willing to make a prediction that HTS won't offer any argument to support his assertion - like most creationists, he is willing to throw out unsubstantiated claims - but never back them up.

HTS - ball is in your court
Holy Ghost

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He's an atheist, and a pretty intelligent person.
Tell us, do you believe in the bible? This will tell us not only your IQ, but also your sanity.
Religion is a learned human behavior. Humans are products of their environment. Experience is the key to ones beliefs. Seeing is believing....agreed? God/Jesus 0; Close Encounters 2..........we are NOT alone in the universe. Experience is the key..........

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Holy Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is a learned human behavior. Humans are products of their environment. Experience is the key to ones beliefs. Seeing is believing....agreed? God/Jesus 0; Close Encounters 2..........we are NOT alone in the universe. Experience is the key..........
First, no one intelligent is ever saying we're "alone" in the universe, life on other planets is not only a possibility but a statistical certainty. However, life being intelligent enough to travel to us from even the nearest star within a reasonable time is an impossibility because you can't travel faster than light, at least not with our level of technology and we're probably the first intelligent life forms capable of space travel to exist based on the known age of the universe.

But all that aside, you really think some species capable of travel that far would be interested in sticking things up another specie's butts? Even the Star Trek nerds aren't that stupid.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nature aborts more fetuses, and even babies, than humanity does, a lot more.
Inquisition is only one of the many atrocities committed in the name of religion, and many of those atrocities are in the name of christianity.
Then you go into the slippery slope fallacy. Your decent into ignorance is complete.
Kitten, your vain attempts to justify your amoral worldview are transparent as you ignore the slaughter of 262 million innocent people during the twentieth century, carried out in the name of atheistic evolution. Don't pretend to be outraged by any atrocities. Your religion of Darwinism has no scientific condemnation of murder, infanticide, torture, or any other despicable practice.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if they are medically competent and have a degree ... oh wait, they need a degree to legally practice in the US, a real one too. So, you're wrong.
That was easy, give us a hard one.
I am medically competent and have a degree, as do all of my peers. Why you anyone assume that physicians blindly accept evolution when there is no science behind it and all of its proposals are entirely irrelevant to experimental science?
Holy Ghost

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
First, no one intelligent is ever saying we're "alone" in the universe, life on other planets is not only a possibility but a statistical certainty. However, life being intelligent enough to travel to us from even the nearest star within a reasonable time is an impossibility because you can't travel faster than light, at least not with our level of technology and we're probably the first intelligent life forms capable of space travel to exist based on the known age of the universe.
But all that aside, you really think some species capable of travel that far would be interested in sticking things up another specie's butts? Even the Star Trek nerds aren't that stupid.
Big k, you are using human knowledge/ understanding and applying it to alien intelligence/interstellar travel...it will not work. Humans don't understand the dimensions of the alien world. Think, they are and have visited earth. The speed of light is not on their radar.....its way beyond human understanding. Look, at human history. Experience is the key to thinking outside human understanding. What we saw and experienced has had a profound impact on our lives. Humans don't believe and will never believe in alien beings....its obvious. Its a shame because humans are thinking like humans around them....its beyond critical thinking....its a mind that can handle the truth. Taking what we saw and experienced and learning from it. Not hiding in fear of retaliation because the human species is living moment to moment, following the crowd. We know what happened and we are better off knowing the truth.......I look at the night sky knowing we are not alone.....not rocket science BigK>

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Kitten, your vain attempts to justify your amoral worldview are transparent as you ignore the slaughter of 262 million innocent people during the twentieth century, carried out in the name of atheistic evolution. Don't pretend to be outraged by any atrocities. Your religion of Darwinism has no scientific condemnation of murder, infanticide, torture, or any other despicable practice.
Um, all those things you listed are the atrocities committed by christians recently, and Muslims.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I am medically competent and have a degree, as do all of my peers. Why you anyone assume that physicians blindly accept evolution when there is no science behind it and all of its proposals are entirely irrelevant to experimental science?
Now I know you are a liar, or have no license because of a malpractice suit. Evolutionary biology is required for vaccines to work.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, all those things you listed are the atrocities committed by christians recently, and Muslims.
There's no such thing as an atrocity, according to your atheistic religion. If you think every human being is an accident, why do you condemn killing another accident by another robot that has no self determination?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Holy Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Big k, you are using human knowledge/ understanding and applying it to alien intelligence/interstellar travel...it will not work. Humans don't understand the dimensions of the alien world. Think, they are and have visited earth. The speed of light is not on their radar.....its way beyond human understanding. Look, at human history. Experience is the key to thinking outside human understanding. What we saw and experienced has had a profound impact on our lives. Humans don't believe and will never believe in alien beings....its obvious. Its a shame because humans are thinking like humans around them....its beyond critical thinking....its a mind that can handle the truth. Taking what we saw and experienced and learning from it. Not hiding in fear of retaliation because the human species is living moment to moment, following the crowd. We know what happened and we are better off knowing the truth.......I look at the night sky knowing we are not alone.....not rocket science BigK>
Um, you do realize that there are enough satellites in orbit to detect dust particles that collide with our atmosphere, right?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>There's no such thing as an atrocity, according to your atheistic religion. If you think every human being is an accident, why do you condemn killing another accident by another robot that has no self determination?
There you go again, telling other people what they believe and then twisting words to make something sound bad just because you can't understand what it is. How many sock puppets do you have on here, BTW

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I am medically competent and have a degree, as do all of my peers. Why you anyone assume that physicians blindly accept evolution when there is no science behind it and all of its proposals are entirely irrelevant to experimental science?
There is science that supports Evolution. There is no verifiable evidence to support your claims of who you are.

Most probably, you are yet another lying Christian.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••