Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179291 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115624 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
From Hitler
One o' yours, bub. It's only lying for Jesus Christians who don't give a fig about the 9th Commandment (like you) who pretend he was an atheist.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115625 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Whenever I try to discuss evolution of say, invertebrates, the evolutionists immediately turn to Christian-bashing. Figures.
Ah yes, but you DID start it off by throwing out the rose-tinted glasses version of Christianity. All we do on here is correct errors. So if your religion earns itself some valid criticism, and it has, it probably has something to do with you trying to bulllshit us about it.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115626 Jan 31, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
The God/Devil, Heaven/Hell, Adam and Eve are fiction based fantasy worlds. Learned human behavior, nothing more. Humans will never evolve to be truly intelligent unless they understand who actually controls and munipulates their world. Its not a God. And, because the God seed has been planted its not even an issue......Humans will go extinct before they realize the truth.
We still don't care about your aliens.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#115627 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
The huge gap between vertebrates and invertebrates continues. The missing links are still missing even though soft tissue can be fossilized. Invertebrates have always been the same throughout the supposed "geologic history" (with the possibility of extinction.) Invertebrates are amazingly sophisticated and complete wherever they are found. The Creator designed invertebrates with a complexity that is clearly seen.
You do realise that invertebrates are just any animal without a back bone don't you?

“Invertebrates occupy more than 30 groups of animals. These include sponges, cnidarians, flatworms, molluscs, arthropods, insects, segmented worms, and echinoderms as well as numerous minor phyla such as brachiopods, arrow worms, bryozoans, hemichordates, peanut worms, rotifers, water bears, ribbon worms, velvet worms, spoonworms, horseshoe worms and a handful of others.”
http://animals.about.com/od/invertebrates/a/t...

So the question isn't how did invertebrates evolve but rather how did multicellular life evolve.

Vertebrates are just one branch of invertebrates but with a backbone.
They evolved from early Chordates.

“Chordates, members of the phylum Chordata, are deuterostome animals possessing a notochord, a hollow dorsal nerve cord, pharyngeal slits, an endostyle, and a post-anal tail for at least some period of their life cycles. Taxonomically, the phylum includes the subphyla Vertebrata, including mammals (and thus humans), fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds; Tunicata, including salps and sea squirts; and Cephalochordata, comprising the lancelets.”

“Primitive chordates are known from at least as early as the Cambrian explosion.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chordata

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#115628 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are out of your mind. You are comparing a few thousand deaths by corrupt religious leaders vs. 100s of millions of deaths by atheists. No comparison. You atheists continue to this day slaughtering innocent unborn children. And now you have euthanasia and soon you will kill anyone deemed unfit. You are nothing but lies and death continually.
We'll it beats God's methods of population control, disease and famine.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#115629 Jan 31, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All true atheists are peaceful, believing that everyone is equal under the law.
WHAT a load of crap. "true atheists" are as dogmatically loaded as their adversaries and just as full of shit. You disgust me.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#115630 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are out of your mind. You are comparing a few thousand deaths by corrupt religious leaders vs. 100s of millions of deaths by atheists. No comparison. You atheists continue to this day slaughtering innocent unborn children. And now you have euthanasia and soon you will kill anyone deemed unfit. You are nothing but lies and death continually.
The deaths by corrupt religious leaders is no more or less disgusting
Holy Ghost

Kansas City, MO

#115631 Jan 31, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
We still don't care about your aliens.
Why respond? Who or what has the ability and technology to control the human mind? For example: Induse a state of unconsciousness with the ability to make the human body still fully fuctional while the mind sleeps, beyond sleep walking. Could science be at that level? Could the Govt have that technology? Or, was it something else?
right

Concord, CA

#115632 Jan 31, 2013
Satan works in mysterious ways

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#115633 Jan 31, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
One o' yours, bub. It's only lying for Jesus Christians who don't give a fig about the 9th Commandment (like you) who pretend he was an atheist.

Which 9th commandment?

Also, the word that we translate as "commandment" could be better rendered as saying, declaration, duty, precept, obligation or behest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115634 Jan 31, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Which 9th commandment?
Also, the word that we translate as "commandment" could be better rendered as saying, declaration, duty, precept, obligation or behest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments
I was generally thinking of this version:

http://www.handofgod.com.au/attachments/Image...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115635 Jan 31, 2013
right wrote:
Satan works in mysterious ways
You mean this guy?

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f3/...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115636 Jan 31, 2013
Holy Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Why respond? Who or what has the ability and technology to control the human mind? For example: Induse a state of unconsciousness with the ability to make the human body still fully fuctional while the mind sleeps, beyond sleep walking. Could science be at that level? Could the Govt have that technology? Or, was it something else?
Yeah, seen that TV show, "Chuck"? True story.
Urban Cowboy

Arlington, VA

#115637 Jan 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The deaths by corrupt religious leaders is no more or less disgusting
True. I watched beheadings and the stoning of an innocent woman. It is incredibly disturbing. I guess this is just the horror of reality. It should not happen at all but it does. I only raise the counter because you and the others keep harping about "Catholics" and the inquisition, which was ancient history yet the abortions and euthanizations continue even in the west, even today. If we trully loved one another and valued human life and had good family values and cherished marriage, we would not have so much of it. Instead, the Godless want to continue their sexual immorality which leads to millions of abortions. When life is not valued, the society deteriorates in Caligula fashion.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#115638 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
True. I watched beheadings and the stoning of an innocent woman. It is incredibly disturbing. I guess this is just the horror of reality. It should not happen at all but it does. I only raise the counter because you and the others keep harping about "Catholics" and the inquisition, which was ancient history yet the abortions and euthanizations continue even in the west, even today. If we trully loved one another and valued human life and had good family values and cherished marriage, we would not have so much of it. Instead, the Godless want to continue their sexual immorality which leads to millions of abortions. When life is not valued, the society deteriorates in Caligula fashion.
Nature aborts more fetuses, and even babies, than humanity does, a lot more.

Inquisition is only one of the many atrocities committed in the name of religion, and many of those atrocities are in the name of christianity.

Then you go into the slippery slope fallacy. Your decent into ignorance is complete.

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#115639 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Nature aborts more fetuses, and even babies, than humanity does, a lot more.
Not a valid comparison. A miscarriage is disease/unintentional and an abortion is of a conscience volition and is intentional killing of perfectly healthy soul. So your false assumption and premise fails. Nice try atheist.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115640 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a valid comparison. A miscarriage is disease/unintentional and an abortion is of a conscience volition and is intentional killing of perfectly healthy soul. So your false assumption and premise fails. Nice try atheist.
Surely a miscarriage is God's will?

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#115641 Jan 31, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely a miscarriage is God's will?
No. He gave us free will. The Fall, etc. Surely you've heard of it?
right

Concord, CA

#115642 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Not a valid comparison. A miscarriage is disease/unintentional and an abortion is of a conscience volition and is intentional killing of perfectly healthy soul. So your false assumption and premise fails. Nice try atheist.
Perfectly healthy? I knew a woman who had an abortion after an amnio which confirmed her baby didnt have a brain. I believe the condition is called anecephaly. Babies with this condition dont survive. People dont always abort healthy babies.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#115643 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No. He gave us free will. The Fall, etc. Surely you've heard of it?
So, the baby decided to die?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hacker compromises data of nearly 30,000 FBI an... 50 min Ritual Habitual 1
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 59 min Richard 8,128
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr ChristineM 27,311
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 3 hr IdiggHiggs 9,749
News Study finds nanoparticle NMC material used in L... Sun Solarman 1
News Sky-high Wi-Fi: Canada's airlines roll out more... Sun ethical eh 1
News Prosecutor charges man who shot at George Zimme... (Jun '15) Feb 6 Melanie 2
More from around the web