Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180392 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115640 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a valid comparison. A miscarriage is disease/unintentional and an abortion is of a conscience volition and is intentional killing of perfectly healthy soul. So your false assumption and premise fails. Nice try atheist.
Surely a miscarriage is God's will?

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#115641 Jan 31, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely a miscarriage is God's will?
No. He gave us free will. The Fall, etc. Surely you've heard of it?
right

South San Francisco, CA

#115642 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Not a valid comparison. A miscarriage is disease/unintentional and an abortion is of a conscience volition and is intentional killing of perfectly healthy soul. So your false assumption and premise fails. Nice try atheist.
Perfectly healthy? I knew a woman who had an abortion after an amnio which confirmed her baby didnt have a brain. I believe the condition is called anecephaly. Babies with this condition dont survive. People dont always abort healthy babies.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#115643 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the baby decided to die?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#115644 Jan 31, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I was generally thinking of this version:
http://www.handofgod.com.au/attachments/Image...

Of course readers of Shel Silverstein know there are actually 20 Commandments. Here are the 11 that Moses dropped and broke:

11. Thou shalt not compromise.
12. Thou shalt not judge.
13. Thou shalt not seek rewards.
14. Thou shalt not follow leaders.
15. Remember every day, to keep it holy.
16. Honor thy children.
17. Thou shalt not destroy thy body before its time.
18. Mind thine own business.
19. Thou shalt not waste thy time.
20. Thou shalt not lay guilt upon the head of thy neighbor.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115645 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
True. I watched beheadings and the stoning of an innocent woman. It is incredibly disturbing. I guess this is just the horror of reality. It should not happen at all but it does. I only raise the counter because you and the others keep harping about "Catholics" and the inquisition, which was ancient history yet the abortions and euthanizations continue even in the west, even today. If we trully loved one another and valued human life and had good family values and cherished marriage, we would not have so much of it. Instead, the Godless want to continue their sexual immorality which leads to millions of abortions. When life is not valued, the society deteriorates in Caligula fashion.

Take your pick, do you want the teachings of the bible or do you want family values.

They are not compatible.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#115646 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a valid comparison. A miscarriage is disease/unintentional and an abortion is of a conscience volition and is intentional killing of perfectly healthy soul. So your false assumption and premise fails. Nice try atheist.
Actually, abortion is only performed within a reasonable time frame, as in, before the fetus has a brain. At least legal ones, performed legally in safe conditions. Illegal ones, you know, the ones performed in back alleys by christians who want their pregnancies kept from their families because of archaic superstitions, are actually still very rare.

But fine, let's instead look at the millions of children killed by religious people "praying" instead of getting scientifically supported medical help. That number is atrocious even if it is less, because those lives lost are already established and the children suffer because of idiotic religious superstitions.
Holy Ghost

Overland Park, KS

#115647 Jan 31, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, seen that TV show, "Chuck"? True story.
Do you believe humans are alone in the universe? This will tell us your IQ.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

#115648 Jan 31, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I used that word because that makes it a fact. There is more material evidence for evolution than any other science.
There are also few areas of science that have as many independent lines of supporting evidence from as many different areas of scientific study as evolution.
Evolution is observable and has been observed.
Evolution is testable and has been tested.
Evolution is falsifiable but has never been falsified.
Evolution can and does make successful predictions.
That is pretty much the DEFINITION of science. You can get upset about it, but that means little. Facts are facts.
Dogen, it's painfully obvious from your unscholarly posts that you're an atheist stooge who blindly swallows whatever propaganda that is hurled at you by the MSM. Gradualistic evolution is not observable. It is testable and has failed ever attempt. It has been soundly debunked on numerous counts. Its predictions have invariably failed. For example:
1. Lamarckism... FAILED
2. Abiogenesis: FAILED
3. Gradualism in the fossil record: FAILED
4. Junk DNA paradigm: FAILED
5. genetic Determinism: FAILED
My advice to you is to stop pretending that science legitimzies your amoral worldview. If you want to believe that man evolved from a worm, that's your prerogative.,, Just don't try to invoke science to justify your idiotic religion.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115649 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

The Fall? Sorry, it's not in the bible.

The term "The fall" is an artifact of the KJV where they added titles to sections. The expression is not actually found anywhere in the text of the bible and is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the Garden of Eden story.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

#115650 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a fallacy, there is evidence that suggest everything was done naturally, with no supernatural influence. You cannot present any evidence of your god, therefore, your god is dismissed. That's how logic works.
What "evidence" is there that a whale "naturally" evolved a migratory instinct? You don't even understand its mechanism. What makes you so certain that processes that no one understands came into existence without intelligent design?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#115651 Jan 31, 2013
Holy Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe humans are alone in the universe? This will tell us your IQ.
He's an atheist, and a pretty intelligent person.

Tell us, do you believe in the bible? This will tell us not only your IQ, but also your sanity.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

#115652 Jan 31, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not likely that you've even had four HOURS of medical school. You would already have presented some basic understanding of biology. All you have shown is an impotent bluff.
Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#115653 Jan 31, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What "evidence" is there that a whale "naturally" evolved a migratory instinct? You don't even understand its mechanism. What makes you so certain that processes that no one understands came into existence without intelligent design?
Red herring, can you ever avoid fallacies?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#115654 Jan 31, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.
Now that right there is a blatant bald faced lie for all to see!

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#115655 Jan 31, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.
Not if they are medically competent and have a degree ... oh wait, they need a degree to legally practice in the US, a real one too. So, you're wrong.

That was easy, give us a hard one.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115656 Jan 31, 2013
HTS wrote:
Want to back up that claim ?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115657 Jan 31, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to back up that claim ?
I am going to get some sleep - but willing to make a prediction that HTS won't offer any argument to support his assertion - like most creationists, he is willing to throw out unsubstantiated claims - but never back them up.

HTS - ball is in your court
Holy Ghost

Overland Park, KS

#115658 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He's an atheist, and a pretty intelligent person.
Tell us, do you believe in the bible? This will tell us not only your IQ, but also your sanity.
Religion is a learned human behavior. Humans are products of their environment. Experience is the key to ones beliefs. Seeing is believing....agreed? God/Jesus 0; Close Encounters 2..........we are NOT alone in the universe. Experience is the key..........

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#115659 Jan 31, 2013
Holy Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is a learned human behavior. Humans are products of their environment. Experience is the key to ones beliefs. Seeing is believing....agreed? God/Jesus 0; Close Encounters 2..........we are NOT alone in the universe. Experience is the key..........
First, no one intelligent is ever saying we're "alone" in the universe, life on other planets is not only a possibility but a statistical certainty. However, life being intelligent enough to travel to us from even the nearest star within a reasonable time is an impossibility because you can't travel faster than light, at least not with our level of technology and we're probably the first intelligent life forms capable of space travel to exist based on the known age of the universe.

But all that aside, you really think some species capable of travel that far would be interested in sticking things up another specie's butts? Even the Star Trek nerds aren't that stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 min replaytime 69,822
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 2 hr SoE 14,079
Dark Millions : Private Carding Forum (Feb '15) 2 hr VLAD 11
Vapefly Nicolas MTL Tank, Designed for Flavor C... 5 hr luckyluckyluke 1
Buy Wismec ES300 EXO SKELETON Kit Quick Review 5 hr bettyw 1
Wismec Exo Skeleton ES300,Powerful yet Intelligent Mon luckyluckyluke 1
SMOK GX2/4 Kit Only USD55.55 Sun olysodaisy 1
More from around the web