Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180366 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#114758 Jan 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already considered this. You are right. Accepting the reality of young or even live dinos wouldn't change a thing. The theory is so plastic that anything goes.

You have a rich fantasy life.
One way or another

United States

#114759 Jan 20, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. All Lenski samples were originally taken from a single bacterium, not a diverse population.
All genetic novelty was therefore a result of mutations from the original mono-clonal sample. New change, not selection from existing diversity.
He didn't say or insinuate a diverse population was used, but as deceit is all you know, it makes sense for a moron like you to use such.

He did speak of bacteria as a whole, as they are all hard wired to borrow DNA and be able to utilize a great many forms of food, if the food supply they want or need is scarce, idiot. Science makes those things perfectly clear.

Your a whacked out liar, the bacteria show no novelty, according to science.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#114760 Jan 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
She found soft tissue, blood tissue, bone cells, and DNA right where it is supposed to be, in the nucleous of the dino bone cells. Deal with it. Peer reviewed research from an evolutionist. And the half life of DNA also by peer reviewed research from an evolutionist. Given enough rope, you hang your own necks.

You need to put aside your a priori assumptions and read the research with an open mind. She did not find intact DNA. She DID provide a mechanism for these materials existing as long as they do (and that mechanism did not involve a 6000 year old earth NOR magic poofing).

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#114761 Jan 20, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dingbat, R E A D S L O W L Y....
The reason to divide 65m by 521 is to find the minimum number of HALVINGS *IF THE SAMPLE REALLY IS* 65 million years old as conventional scientists would demand. Hence 24,700 HALVINGS, HENCE 1/2^24,700, hence if there is any intact DNA present, then the sample should be LESS THAN 65 million years old.
If you were not idiotically jumping to conclusions, you would see that by this route I was AGREEING WITH YOU that there could not possibly be any intact DNA after this many halvings IF the sample WAS 65 million years old (and if the 521 half life is accurate.
There was NOTHING arbitrary about the numbers or the method I used! It was YOUR half life figure, applied to the currently believed minimum age of the dinosaurs.
I was agreeing with you Muddle Head, using the correct logic of half lives, and you still cannot see it.
In other words, you appear to be one more inexorable step closer to Jimbodom.
Sheesh!

He cannot agree with something he has already disagreed with. He does not have the ego strength to do this.
One way or another

United States

#114762 Jan 20, 2013
All the Evo children have is deceit, bacteria have always had the ability to do all they do, according to all science reveals.
LowellGuy

United States

#114763 Jan 20, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well perhaps they should, and put this nonsense to rest.
Prediction? The C-14 levels should be reduced to background levels proving the sample is more than 100,000 years old. As we all know, you cannot calibrate C-14 to give a higher result than that, BUT its enough to falsify any "5,000 year old dino" nonsense emanating from the likes of UC.
Frankly I wish they would just do the test!
How interesting...if it was NOT found to be 100K +!!!
Scientists aren't wasting money to convince people who don't understand how science works. Creationists wouldn't believe the results, anyway.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#114764 Jan 20, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well perhaps they should, and put this nonsense to rest.
Prediction? The C-14 levels should be reduced to background levels proving the sample is more than 100,000 years old. As we all know, you cannot calibrate C-14 to give a higher result than that, BUT its enough to falsify any "5,000 year old dino" nonsense emanating from the likes of UC.
Frankly I wish they would just do the test!
How interesting...if it was NOT found to be 100K +!!!

It is hard for real scientists to do useless, destructive, testing on precious samples, just to appease people who don't understand and won't believe science, anyway.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#114765 Jan 20, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Your deceit never stops. You're a child that lies constantly, just to get attention. If I'm wrong, then it should be easy for you to show in the experiment, where the citrus came from and then prove an explosion of population occurred from the citrus.
You can't moron, because you operate on so much pure deceit.
Go lie to children, idiot.
Red herring. Next fallacy please.

Since: Aug 07

Raleigh, NC

#114766 Jan 20, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dingbat, R E A D S L O W L Y....
The reason to divide 65m by 521 is to find the minimum number of HALVINGS *IF THE SAMPLE REALLY IS* 65 million years old as conventional scientists would demand. Hence 24,700 HALVINGS, HENCE 1/2^24,700, hence if there is any intact DNA present, then the sample should be LESS THAN 65 million years old.
If you were not idiotically jumping to conclusions, you would see that by this route I was AGREEING WITH YOU that there could not possibly be any intact DNA after this many halvings IF the sample WAS 65 million years old (and if the 521 half life is accurate.
There was NOTHING arbitrary about the numbers or the method I used! It was YOUR half life figure, applied to the currently believed minimum age of the dinosaurs.
I was agreeing with you Muddle Head, using the correct logic of half lives, and you still cannot see it.
In other words, you appear to be one more inexorable step closer to Jimbodom.
Sheesh!
Insults aside,

Sorry Iím such a stickler but maybe a simple illustration will help. Say we have N/o (original amount) of 50 units; and the half-life is 20 years. How many units remain after 40 years?

Nt = No (1/2)^T/t = 50 (1/2)^40/20 = 50(1/2)^2 = 50 * 0.25 = 12.5 units remaining.

Now letís do it your way:

40/20 = 2; 2/50 = 0.04; 0.4 * 50 = 20 units remaining. Thatís off by 160 percent!
One way or another

United States

#114767 Jan 20, 2013
Silly morons and bought off scientists, pretend to understand the universe and what happened further back than recorded history.

Raleigh, NC

#114768 Jan 20, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
There would be evidence of dinosaurs of that size, or any size, had they lived until less than 60,000 years ago. 65,000,000 years between evidence dates is outrageously unlikely. It's almost as likely as a creationist accurately and honestly explaining how and why science works.
And yet, we're always right and you're always wrong.
One way or another

United States

#114769 Jan 20, 2013
Tell us of lake varves, children.
One way or another

United States

#114770 Jan 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Red herring. Next fallacy please.
You don't mind if we wait for someone with a brain to try and at least, respond to the accusations do ya?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#114771 Jan 20, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Tell us of lake varves, children.
Tell us of how your revelations in pet psychology changed the world as you said it would almost a year ago.

You were wrong then, why do you think you are right about anything now?

Raleigh, NC

#114772 Jan 20, 2013
Now let's prove it:

Say we have 12.5 units remaining; half-life of 20 years. What was the original amount?

12.5 = No (1/2)^T/t = No (1/2)^2

12.5/0.25 = No (0.25)/(0.25)

No = 50 Check.
One way or another

United States

#114773 Jan 20, 2013
Children seem to run away or change the subjects when they have nothing. That's children for ya. When any argument is argued at its present time and the children twist word and meaning every time, because they don't have the capacity to argue, their deceit is all they know.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#114774 Jan 20, 2013
noblex wrote:
Blah, Blah........Scientist believe when they send a deep space prob millions of miles into space it will make contact with primitive life forms on earth like planets...? Wait, SETI has nothing? Craft do visit this rock. Why would they send a probe when aliens(advanced life forms that avoid human contact at all cost) visit earth? Aliens made humans believe they are Gods...and it worked!
<<Note to UC, Kitten, Dogan, Kong, Ooogha, Chimney, et al>>

<Whisper>
Oh oh, he's on to us. It's just a matter of time before he figures out that we've been using this forum for secret coded messages, pretending to be interested in the evolution/creation issue. I suggest we all turn in our secret alien decoder rings as required in this circumstance and request "Code x23" new alien decoder rings before sending any new coded messages. In the meantime, we can discuss various aspects of evolutlion/creation until our new secret alien decoder rings arrive.
</Whisper>
One way or another

United States

#114775 Jan 20, 2013
The children are unable to show the following. My response below is to what chimney claimed at the top of the last page. Then I tried to ask the children about lake varves and they know better than to accept the challenge, because I'm bringing new info to science on a consistent basis. Not one of the evos have ever brought even one new thought to science.

Your deceit never stops chimney. You're a child that lies constantly, just to get attention. If I'm wrong, then it should be easy for you to show in the experiment, where the citrus came from and then prove an explosion of population occurred from the citrus.

You can't moron, because you operate on so much pure deceit.

Go lie to children, idiot.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#114776 Jan 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, we're always right and you're always wrong.
Bwaahhahahahahahahahahahahahah a [wipes tears from eyes]... oh, your serious? Hahahahahahahahaahahahah ...
One way or another

United States

#114777 Jan 20, 2013
Come on children, you have all that the so called scientists have to teach about lake varves and all ya gotta do is goggle it.

So tell us of what science and most importantly, what you yourself, can tell us of lake varves, if you dare. I have new science to add to the lake carve issue children.

Don't cha wanna show whatcha know children?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Endofdays 85,564
News First Las Cruces Space Festival planned in April 7 hr mountainrogue 1
News Global warming roars on: Past four years have b... 8 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 1
action replay codes for the new super mario bros. (Jan '08) Thu Hacker 929
News Japanese Astronaut Testing Stink-Free Underwear (Jul '09) Jan 16 penny 13
News Boxed: Costco for millennials adds booze to its... Jan 16 chrystal craft 1
News Lifelike robots made in Hong Kong meant to win ... Jan 16 chrystal craft 1
More from around the web