Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,565)

Showing posts 111,281 - 111,300 of171,194
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And how, exactly, would this work, Einstein? Please provide the necessary calculations to support your hypothesis/masturbation.
Or why one would go to such lengths?

Surely two guys (or gals - am all about equal opportunities) with a torch, a tape measure and a stopwatch should suffice surely?

And the problem with jimbos idea is that he has forgot that (according to him) atomic clocks get messed up in space due to the 'workings' getting damaged by the pressure exerted by acceleration - sure he thinks its just a grandfather clock strapped onto a shuttle.

But good luck with getting a direct response from looney tunes - I have pretty much given up on him

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
But good luck with getting a direct response from looney tunes - I have pretty much given up on him
I imagine his ex-wives said the same thing.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad but true.

The problem is , if he would just respond to people's points he may actually learn something.

I was looking at some of his posts from last year (had bookmarked the 23rd of jan for posterity ) and he has definitely got worse.

Shame really - but nothing we can do

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
There were women crazy enough to marry that whack job?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, it could by WHY he's nuts.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Unknown but he does have a daughter.

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, it could by WHY he's nuts.
Having been married twice, I will concede it is a distinct possibility.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
At least 3.

Hard to believe, isn't it?

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Or why one would go to such lengths?
Surely two guys (or gals - am all about equal opportunities) with a torch, a tape measure and a stopwatch should suffice surely?
And the problem with jimbos idea is that he has forgot that (according to him) atomic clocks get messed up in space due to the 'workings' getting damaged by the pressure exerted by acceleration - sure he thinks its just a grandfather clock strapped onto a shuttle.
I don't expect a response. Jim "Loony Tunes" Ryan will ignore my challenge, get drunk and spam the shit out of us as usual.

Hey, Jimbo! You don't have either the intelligence, education or balls to answer me, do you?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Moons reflectors bogus

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence

So, the moons reflectors are 239,000 miles from earth, approximately and since the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, y'all must think that laser beam will get back to earth pretty fast. Actually, the light should return to earth from the moons reflectors in 1.3 seconds, with the reflectors designed to reflect the light back to the point it came from.

However, in the 1.3 seconds the light takes to return to its origin, the earth has moved approx 4,000 miles from the point source of light, according to sciences claim that our galaxy is traveling that fast in 1 second, making it impossible for science to capture any photons, at least according to science.

Science sure is messed up, thinking it can collect photons that are 4,000 miles behind the collector.

At least they depend on all of us being stupid enough to believe them. Well, at least y'all.

Our galaxy is traveling at
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Can anyone imagine a world where science worked like jimbo thinks it does?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
Can anyone imagine a world where science worked like jimbo thinks it does?
The world wouldn't work.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The world wouldn't work.
Actually, the world would work, it science's explaination of it that wouldn't - and this is jimbos problem , if he isn't even willing to discuss his hypothesis how can his justify it.

As I say, it is actually quite sad - he is a lost cause

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the world would work, it science's explaination of it that wouldn't - and this is jimbos problem , if he isn't even willing to discuss his hypothesis how can his justify it.
As I say, it is actually quite sad - he is a lost cause
I should have phrased it different:

The modern world wouldn't exist. ;)

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a professional and I am by no stretch of imagination qualified to make a professional judgment as to anyone's psychological makeup.
That said, I'm pretty sure that most people would have some area of their thinking that could be considered to be psychopathological. The driver who thinks he is specially gifted to be able to handle texting while driving might also be considered to have a Delusional Disorder. The workplace manager who does not tolerate any question of his decisions and opinions, whether it is about work or weather or politics could also be considered to have a Delusional Disorder. Quite a long list of ordinary delusions could be drawn up. In other words, the bar for pathology can be set very low. A wide spectrum of people could fit in nicely for needing therapy in some area of their life.
OK, I'd grant that Jim is probably on the high end on anyone's graph of normal delusions, but I would contend that his anger far outweighs his delusional problems.

It is a chicken v egg issue. The anger and the paranoid delusional ideation feed each other. It is estimated and widely accepted that about 40% of the population suffers from a diagnosable mental illness at some point in their life. Anxiety disorders head these up, followed by depression.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Moons reflectors bogus
Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
So, the moons reflectors are 239,000 miles from earth, approximately and since the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, y'all must think that laser beam will get back to earth pretty fast. Actually, the light should return to earth from the moons reflectors in 1.3 seconds, with the reflectors designed to reflect the light back to the point it came from.
However, in the 1.3 seconds the light takes to return to its origin, the earth has moved approx 4,000 miles from the point source of light, according to sciences claim that our galaxy is traveling that fast in 1 second, making it impossible for science to capture any photons, at least according to science.
Science sure is messed up, thinking it can collect photons that are 4,000 miles behind the collector.
At least they depend on all of us being stupid enough to believe them. Well, at least y'all.
Our galaxy is traveling at

How many times have I refuted this now? If you can't do basic math you can't do science.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

I let my work speak for itself.

Test/ speed of light theory

More new science by Jim Ryan

If science really wanted to test speed of light theory, science could add a simple laser light to any of its probes and when the probe got say a million miles away from earth, it could send its laser light back to earth, one aimed at American collectors one at Russian collectors and one at another countries collectors, unless science is afraid to know the truth.
How is it that not one scientist in the whole world thought of such already? Are they all morons or does science just not want to know?
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Unfortunately science expects any new hypothesis to be able to be challenged and its proponents to be able to defend it against criticisms.

Yours does not - hence it is worthless and just spam - if you can't support it against arguments why bother?

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

<quoted text>
I don't believe in natural selection.
Reading some of your posts, I have a hard time believing in it too.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Test/ speed of light theory
More new science by Jim Ryan
If science really wanted to test speed of light theory, science could add a simple laser light to any of its probes and when the probe got say a million miles away from earth, it could send its laser light back to earth, one aimed at American collectors one at Russian collectors and one at another countries collectors, unless science is afraid to know the truth.
How is it that not one scientist in the whole world thought of such already? Are they all morons or does science just not want to know?
Your work says a lot about how ignorant and uneducated you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 111,281 - 111,300 of171,194
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Science / Technology Forum right now

Search the Science / Technology Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 1 hr SpaceBlues 26,814
It May Take Guts to Cure Diabetes 2 hr Olympian 3
How to Directly Recover Deleted Photos from my ... (Sep '12) 4 hr lanserhtj 28
How to Recover iPad 3 Data On Mac (Aug '13) 6 hr OliverHusa 5
How to recover backup data from iTunes for iPho... (Mar '13) 6 hr OliverHusa 5
Techvedic Computer Virus Removal 7 hr Techvedic Technlogies 1
How to recover lost files(photos/videos/contact... (Aug '13) 7 hr felicitethorne 4
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••