Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#113287 Jan 3, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the opposite of what you say. Cutting-edge science is proving the Bible accurate and proving NDE wrong. Isn't it time you got caught up?
In your dreams, UC. The Bible can be used for describing Man's relationship with his Maker, but it is not a science or history book. Never was. The Bible remains chock full of factual inaccuracies from the first verses to the final pages. Read with the understanding of biblical metaphors,
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>And you express bigotry constantly. It comes out in your words. It is totally unnecessary and only hurts yourself. If you people could somehow find it in yourselves to stop the bigotry and hatred we might even have an intelligent conversation one day.
I am not a bigot, nor do I hate anyone. I just do not suffer fools lightly. All the Christians I know are kind, generous people -- probably much like yourself. However, they do not have the same affliction that you and some others on these threads have with respect to blindly dismissing the reality of the world around them.

If it makes you feel like a David vs Goliath, Us vs Them martyr to take on science, have at it.

Just remember that you're also fully immersed in the benefits that science (including the Theory of Evolution) has provided for you.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#113288 Jan 3, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love it when you call us, "honey"! LOL!
Good for you honey, I am glad you are titilated.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#113289 Jan 3, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a metaphor, but hey, play stupid, it suits you.
No it wasn’t, you were caught out in you preaching – two different ways by two different people – so you decided to save face by opting for the good old christian incredulity excuse because you have nothing else.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#113290 Jan 3, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the opposite of what you say. Cutting-edge science is proving the Bible accurate and proving NDE wrong. Isn't it time you got caught up? And you express bigotry constantly. It comes out in your words. It is totally unnecessary and only hurts yourself. If you people could somehow find it in yourselves to stop the bigotry and hatred we might even have an intelligent conversation one day.
I almost spit out my coffee! Thanks for the laugh!
Elohim

Branford, CT

#113291 Jan 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He would not understand either of your statements
His lies, BS and abuse are nothing more than good funnymentalist christian values
And he appears to be the type of poorly educated guy who considers anything outside the US borders as part of the same village that you need the inconvenience of a passport to visit
Happy New Year!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113292 Jan 3, 2013
<quoted text>
It was a metaphor, but hey, play stupid, it suits you.
If everything you say is a metaphor, then no one can ever take what you say serious.

That was not a metaphor.

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113293 Jan 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you honey, I am glad you are titilated.
Only to the degree it appropriately characterizes you as a fat, ugly old witch with a big mole on her nose. LOL!
One way or another

United States

#113294 Jan 3, 2013
Since congress no longer has the social security money to steal from, it can no longer have a free ride. Every bit they tax the middle class, is money taken from recovery. The morons in congress will be being harassed from now on, to where they will start dropping out, because for the first time, the people are going to start holding congresses feet to the fire. From there, congress will start to hold sciences feet to the fire and defund a lot in science, which will make those in science, revolt against evolution, because they won't be funded and they will look stupid.

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113295 Jan 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Laugh all you want, use your good christian imagination to your hearts content, it makes no difference to the fact as displayed in the posts of this thread.
All you need to do to redeem your lying BS in the eyes of your god is show one (JUST ONE) instance of me lying
If you can’t, and I know you can’t then there can only be one reason, You are once again LYING before your god which certainly proves one thing, you are a good and completely typical christian.
Right there. You just lied again. I guess you can't help it.
One way or another

United States

#113296 Jan 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No it wasn’t, you were caught out in you preaching – two different ways by two different people – so you decided to save face by opting for the good old christian incredulity excuse because you have nothing else.
If you're not to stupid to speak to science, time will tell.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#113297 Jan 3, 2013
<quoted text>
If you're not to stupid to speak to science, time will tell.
Well, she has way better grammar than you.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#113298 Jan 3, 2013
Since congress no longer has the social security money to steal from, it can no longer have a free ride. Every bit they tax the middle class, is money taken from recovery. The morons in congress will be being harassed from now on, to where they will start dropping out, because for the first time, the people are going to start holding congresses feet to the fire. From there, congress will start to hold sciences feet to the fire and defund a lot in science, which will make those in science, revolt against evolution, because they won't be funded and they will look stupid.
Actually, most scientific research in the US is either privately funded, or funded by foreign government already. Do you just avoid reading anything?

Orlando

#113299 Jan 3, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you people could somehow find it in yourselves to stop the bigotry and hatred we might even have an intelligent conversation one day.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Only to the degree it appropriately characterizes you as a fat, ugly old witch with a big mole on her nose. LOL!
Hypocrite much?
One way or another

United States

#113300 Jan 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, most scientific research in the US is either privately funded, or funded by foreign government already. Do you just avoid reading anything?
And your proof is? Lol

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#113301 Jan 3, 2013
<quoted text>
And your proof is? Lol
Non-corporate scientific research is mostly done in universities, they get their funding through tuition, tuition often paid for by foreign governments, most foreign governments pay their students' tuition to come to US universities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funding_of_scien...

Gah, I didn't even have to read the article before typing it out. You can't be this thick skulled.

Orlando

#113302 Jan 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-corporate scientific research is mostly done in universities, they get their funding through tuition, tuition often paid for by foreign governments, most foreign governments pay their students' tuition to come to US universities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funding_of_scien...

Gah, I didn't even have to read the article before typing it out. You can't be this thick skulled.
He has proven otherwise.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#113303 Jan 3, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
He has proven otherwise.
Who? What?

Orlando

#113304 Jan 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Who? What?
One way or another -- being 'thick skulled'.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#113306 Jan 3, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
One way or another -- being 'thick skulled'.
Ah, yes he has. lol I'm in a haze of coffee induced wakefulness right now.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113307 Jan 3, 2013
Someone please post solid evidence that something came from nothing. Someone please post complete solid evidence ( no holes ) of evolution including all the missing links which must have been discovered and I just haven't heard about it yet. Kitten, I think you could be the one to answer these questions or post links to answer them...by the way certain species could have been " engineered "by a greater life form..we do it to life, why couldn't it have been done to us?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 3 min Osmius 7,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr dirtclod 20,623
News Who Inspired You to be an Engineer? 4 hr Walter Harold Marlin 127
News Why a One-degree Rise in Global Temperature is ... 9 hr Earthling-1 1
News Merger Makes WiFiRV the Only RV-Industry Wirele... (Feb '10) 20 hr WHO2016 15
News Ruckus Stock Roars On School Wi-Fi, Cable TV Fri wirelesswatch 1
News Techs4Biz Announces Pervidi Version 6 Including... (Jul '13) Jul 30 Roger Chan 5
More from around the web