Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180394 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Psychology

United States

#109537 Nov 26, 2012
I will leave all gov and my industry out, but science must be all that is spoken. No religion and no evolution, just strictly science.
Psychology

United States

#109538 Nov 26, 2012
I cannot speak for UC or others, but I swear to abide by what I say. If I err, I will apologize. I ask no more than I am willing to give.
Psychology

United States

#109539 Nov 26, 2012
I have further considered. If you speak with respect in evolution, that's ok, but if UC speaks with respect for all in religion, y'all give the same respect.

If not, then no evolution and no science. This arguing is most harmful to all.
Psychology

United States

#109540 Nov 26, 2012
No evolution and no religion above, not science. We need science.
Psychology

United States

#109542 Nov 26, 2012
As to immunology, look to bare feet across the world, the diseases in each, which diseases are most prevalent in each country, where the vast majority go barefoot and or, many kids go barefoot, even though they have shoes in all countries. I am one of them. Ring worms anyone and that dang freeze spray, so cold it felt like fire.

It's not even so much about disease, but rather how to compare so very much, across the world, getting all scientists involved.

Right now, just a very few control and say what goes.

The whole world is in trouble, we all sink or we all swim. There is no In-between
Psychology

United States

#109543 Nov 26, 2012
Science could be so much fun and feel so good for all and too all, that discover would come so fast it would be very difficult to keep pace. Just ask scientists.
Psychology

United States

#109544 Nov 26, 2012
Make science a game for scientists and offer all the chance of discovery, with prizes and cash. Right now, the prizes and cash go to only the priveledged.

You reduce science to money, instead of the love of science, with a chance for all.
Psychology

United States

#109545 Nov 26, 2012
Children can play all day and half the night, most every single day and love it. Why not scientists? You force the drudgery on the majority, with no chance for great rewards, while you give the few, every chance for great rewards, with everyone else doing their drudge work.

That kind of stupidity has strangled science for years. I love my work, it is my saving grace.
Psychology

United States

#109546 Nov 26, 2012
Give every single scientist their own tiny chance at discovery and reward and watch science blossom into a saving grace for all.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#109548 Nov 26, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Go find the phone books from 1971 to 2010. The retailers bribed the AT+T yellow pages to take the phone book out of alphabetical order, in order to hide us from the general public. My industry is the only one to bribe the yellow pages to take the book out of alphabetical order, in it's entire history of yellow pages.
The industry quit bribing the yellow pages in 2011, because the Internet made it impossible.
The proof is all there for all who care to see.
If we found a phone book from that time, and it WASN'T out of alphabetical order, would you simply say that the Jews had paid someone to replace the old copies with new copies that said they were from that year, but were really printed later to cover up the past wrongdoing? Or, would you admit that your story is complete horseshit and you just hate the Jews (and pretty much everybody else, which is what your paranoia demands you do)?

I'd take wagers, but I think everybody knows the long shot is WAY too long.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#109549 Nov 26, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Give every single scientist their own tiny chance at discovery and reward and watch science blossom into a saving grace for all.
Every scientist has that already. That's why science works, while paranoid delusions just get people jailed or committed or in treatment for their problems.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#109550 Nov 26, 2012
Psychology wrote:
As to immunology, look to bare feet across the world, the diseases in each, which diseases are most prevalent in each country, where the vast majority go barefoot and or, many kids go barefoot, even though they have shoes in all countries. I am one of them. Ring worms anyone and that dang freeze spray, so cold it felt like fire.
It's not even so much about disease, but rather how to compare so very much, across the world, getting all scientists involved.
Right now, just a very few control and say what goes.
The whole world is in trouble, we all sink or we all swim. There is no In-between
It's easy to make sweeping statements like that, but without evidence to back it up, it's just you making shit up.
Psychology

United States

#109551 Nov 26, 2012
Your choice.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#109552 Nov 26, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems your Buddhist religious beliefs do not square with your Darwinist beliefs do they? That is because Buddhists believe in reincarnation and many Gods while Darwinists are atheists and believe nothing exists beyond nature. No wonder you're so confused all the time.
Actually that is a misconception. SOME Buddhists believe in reincarnation. Zen Buddhists such as the original Dogen have little care or concern for the afterlife, offer no opinion, and see it as irrelevant. Similarly any abstract notions of God - they offer no opinion on God and do not concern themselves about whether God exists or not.

There is nothing in Zen that is incompatible with any aspect of modern science including evolution.

Location hidden

#109553 Nov 26, 2012
Psychology wrote:
What horseshit. Evolution does nothing, man does it. There are no predictions, there is guess work, while following any trails and man does it? Not evolution, unless you're a moron that believes anything he's/ she's told.
Evolution has made plenty of predictions, and they were confirmed. For example, Darwin posited that humans evolved from apes and there might be fossils found to support that.

We now have several hundred fossils that show the evolution from ape to human just as the theory predicted we would. There are NO modern human fossils from a million years ago but there are plenty of fossils of Homo erectus. There are NO fossils of Homo erectus two million years ago but there are fossils of earlier ape-human intermediates. etc....

Location hidden

#109554 Nov 27, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Your deceit is noted. I said spin is a part of gravity and without spin, there would be no gravity, so as always, your deceit precedes you.
Again, your deceit precedes you, I never said anything about rain or Vegas. You deceitful children make yourselves out to be morons, I just point it out.
Go to page 5,334 and read about your cliques deceit, lies, twisting word and meaning and more, although you likely saw and stayed hidden until now, pretending not to know.
You and your clique cry and use every deceitful trick, even when a simple valid point is made.
Buzz off twit.
You said that without spin, there would be no gravity. However, there is no point quibbling if you want to argue instead that "spin is a PART of gravity". Whatever. Either version is unsupported by any evidence. Makes no difference to me.

Regarding the rain, and water getting lighter in the sunshine, well it appears that was not you but Mugwump taking the piss out of you. I missed that, since the silly shyte he said is so similar to the kind of junk you spout that I fell for it. Congratulations Mugwump for a great Jimbo parody!

Now if you really want to get to the bottom of how to tell garbage from truth, its time you understood the scientific method. But I have a feeling you are not interested. All you care about is finding justifications for your general hatred and self pity.

Location hidden

#109555 Nov 27, 2012
Psychology wrote:
One against 10, the one better be forceful or he will get run over, but it seems morons don't have a clue and we can't expect them too. Appleboy is a perfect example of a moron.
Not if he has a better, more rational argument, supported by evidence.

That is the difference between gang warfare and rational debate.

You keep bringing a knife to a pen fight.

Location hidden

#109556 Nov 27, 2012
Psychology wrote:
No evolution and no religion above, not science. We need science.
Evolution is science. Your position is illogical. You cannot claim we need to teach science, but then try to suppress any science that happens to be difficult for some religious cults to accept.

Location hidden

#109557 Nov 27, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF do you think researchers are, monkeys?
If one accepts cladistics, then technically, yes.

Location hidden

#109558 Nov 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolutionary Medicine. What a load of crap! They left out removal of previously thought "vestigial" organs? No, of course not because that was a huge embarassment. Bacterial resistance? That is NOT macroevolution! This crap has gone too far. It's all lies! The truth is there is nothing in practicing, operational medicine that is even remotely affected by macroevolution. That's because it never happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_med...
You still don't get something as simple as the nested hierarchy, but feel qualified to make learned pronouncements, with EXCLAMATION MARKS!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min replaytime 61,510
Recover Deleted text Messages from iPhone with ... (Mar '14) 41 min Natalie_33 25
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 4 hr SoE 13,601
News Sea ice cover at both poles at lowest point of ... 13 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 3
News Early snow throwers made in Martinsburg Sat Kim 1
News Vigil held for boy mauled by Pitbull in Murray ... Sat Kill Pitt Bulls 1
Which one is your style? Replaceable battery mo... Fri newssnowss 1
More from around the web