Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178700 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109100 Nov 23, 2012
Psychology wrote:
So children, have any of you even a clue as to advancing immunology?
It depends - are you actually going to post something and then back it up, and respond to any counter arguments ?

Or are you just going to post stuff then run away from discussion of it ?
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109101 Nov 23, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Except he does not rant about religious stuff nearly as much as our other fundies. Of all the fundies we regularly encounter in these forums I am convinced that Psycho is the most genuinely mentally disturbed. Lots of anger, a big chip on his shoulder, paranoia, a grandiose delusions. Most of the others are just religiously preoccupied which is not a (diagnosable) mental disorder.
Out of interest, as I understand you have experience in this field.... How would you help someone like jimbo if he actually wanted help, and even if he didn't realise he needed it.

Serious question - am interested to know , fully realise you can't help as he is simply a lunatic posting online but if he wasn't ?
Portal

Naperville, IL

#109102 Nov 23, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Deceit, thy name is evolution and your jealous children.
So children, have any of you even a clue as to advancing immunology?
Psy....Pick your poison...Creation or Evolution? And, since two choices are all the primitive human animal can comprehend,,,,,,,Lets throw in Advanced Alien Beings...or as most humans see them as.... Gods. If the Bible seed has been planted on your gray matter, you need not respond. There are to many galaxies to count..........Think Psy!
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109103 Nov 23, 2012
Really nice day today. I think I'll go fishing tomorrow. Have a nice day children.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109104 Nov 23, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Really nice day today. I think I'll go fishing tomorrow. Have a nice day children.
Enjoy your fishing -it's just another way of running away from reality

But hey, if you have a breakthrough in immunological research why are you keeping it from the world - do you WANT people to die?
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109105 Nov 23, 2012
Portal wrote:
<quoted text>Psy....Pick your poison...Creation or Evolution? And, since two choices are all the primitive human animal can comprehend,,,,,,,Lets throw in Advanced Alien Beings...or as most humans see them as.... Gods. If the Bible seed has been planted on your gray matter, you need not respond. There are to many galaxies to count..........Think Psy!
I love science. I don't use religion in here. You should know that if you've been paying attention.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#109106 Nov 23, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
I love science. I don't use religion in here. You should know that if you've been paying attention.
Then why is it that all you do is attack people who aren't part of your religion and post religious junk?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109107 Nov 23, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of interest, as I understand you have experience in this field.... How would you help someone like jimbo if he actually wanted help, and even if he didn't realise he needed it.
Serious question - am interested to know , fully realise you can't help as he is simply a lunatic posting online but if he wasn't ?

Delusional disorder is worked from the inside out. Not judging the clients beliefs, listening to how they come to their conclusions and expressing empathy for the affect that such beliefs give rise to is the starting place. I don't affirm the delusional ideas, but I give the client plenty of space to discuss them. Only once trust is built up can you question some of the though processes and chip away one little bit at a time.

Geodon 40mg twice daily can also help a lot. But it is hard to get people in denial (and they all are at first) to take an "antipsychotic" medication.

This is the heavy lifting of psychotherapy. I would take a nice bipolar over that any day of the week. Even schizophrenia is usually easier to work with as it is hard to deny you have problems when you are seeing things or can't think straight.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109108 Nov 23, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>

You love make-believe. Not the same thing as science, don't ya know.

And you do use religion in here. Thankfully you don't do it very often.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109110 Nov 23, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Delusional disorder is worked from the inside out. Not judging the clients beliefs, listening to how they come to their conclusions and expressing empathy for the affect that such beliefs give rise to is the starting place. I don't affirm the delusional ideas, but I give the client plenty of space to discuss them. Only once trust is built up can you question some of the though processes and chip away one little bit at a time.
Geodon 40mg twice daily can also help a lot. But it is hard to get people in denial (and they all are at first) to take an "antipsychotic" medication.
This is the heavy lifting of psychotherapy. I would take a nice bipolar over that any day of the week. Even schizophrenia is usually easier to work with as it is hard to deny you have problems when you are seeing things or can't think straight.
Thanks, as I say was genuinely interested to know your views

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109113 Nov 23, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
And after he rendered the decision against the school board, Judge Jones received death threats for him and his family from these 'fine Christian' folks.
Please analyze your statement here. What you are claiming is that "Christians" (any of the approximately 2 billion people) threatened to kill Judge Jones and his whole family because of his Dover decision. But for whatever reason, nothing ever happened (of course). Is this really what you are suggesting Kong? What is your evidence? Is there any truth at all to this? Have you ever taken a course in logic? Do you have any education at all? Also, do you have any evidence that the people who threatened him were in fact Christians? Were they presbyterian or Baptists perhaps? Or are you just assuming this? It is statements like this that create unnecessary hatred and bigotry Kong. It is hard enough to get along with everyone and live a happy life without the likes of you spreading these hateful rumours Kong!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Jones_II...

Reference No. 4, re: death threats has a dead link.(Of course!)

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109114 Nov 23, 2012
How the ancients could have easily determined that the earth is a round sphere (in brief):

1. Watching as ships come and go on the ocean horizon

2. Sailing toward or away from mountains

3. Holding a straight edge horizontally along the horizon

4. Measuring and comparing the angle of the sunís shadow at different places

5. Noting the shape of the earthís shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse

6. Noting the shape of the light/dark line cast by the sun on the moon through phases

7. Noting the changing angle of the north star with changes in latitude

8. Noting the rotating stars around the north star during the night

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109115 Nov 23, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You love make-believe. Not the same thing as science, don't ya know.
And you do use religion in here. Thankfully you don't do it very often.
You love make believe! Harry Potter, Fantasy, Pro-wrestling, Kiss, Darwinism, etc. NB - Darwinism is also religion.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109116 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Please analyze your statement here. What you are claiming is that "Christians" (any of the approximately 2 billion people) threatened to kill Judge Jones and his whole family because of his Dover decision. But for whatever reason, nothing ever happened (of course). Is this really what you are suggesting Kong? What is your evidence? Is there any truth at all to this? Have you ever taken a course in logic? Do you have any education at all? Also, do you have any evidence that the people who threatened him were in fact Christians? Were they presbyterian or Baptists perhaps? Or are you just assuming this? It is statements like this that create unnecessary hatred and bigotry Kong. It is hard enough to get along with everyone and live a happy life without the likes of you spreading these hateful rumours Kong!

Well, lest see if logic can help in any way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Jones_II...
Reference No. 4, re: death threats has a dead link.(Of course!)

Did the death threats come from atheists?
Probably not.

Did the death threats come from agnostics?
Probably not.

Did the death threats come from Buddhists?
LOL

Members of what religious group(s) in the U.S. would be most upset about the Dover verdicts?

What religious groups make up the largest percentage of Americas?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109117 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
How the ancients could have easily determined that the earth is a round sphere (in brief):
1. Watching as ships come and go on the ocean horizon
2. Sailing toward or away from mountains
3. Holding a straight edge horizontally along the horizon
4. Measuring and comparing the angle of the sunís shadow at different places
5. Noting the shape of the earthís shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse
6. Noting the shape of the light/dark line cast by the sun on the moon through phases
7. Noting the changing angle of the north star with changes in latitude
8. Noting the rotating stars around the north star during the night

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, Urb. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109118 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You love make believe! Harry Potter, Fantasy, Pro-wrestling, Kiss, Darwinism, etc. NB - Darwinism is also religion.

Not really a fan of any of those. I did see the first three Harry Potter movies, but got bored with it.

I do support the science of evolution, but that is not what you are talking about.

Actually I don't even read much fiction. I have read maybe 3 fiction books in the last 2 years.

Right now I am rereading 'Speaking Christian' by Marcus J. Borg and 'the 'Gnostic Gospels' by Elaine Pagels.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109119 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not.
Probably not.
LOL
Members of what religious group(s) in the U.S. would be most upset about the Dover verdicts?
Why not just state the facts? Judge Jones said he was threatened but gave no details and there isn't even any evidence of that. Typical of you and Kong to exaggerate and embelish everything to your imagined favor. To make broad generalizations about a group of people is pure bigotry and prejudice.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109120 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really a fan of any of those. I did see the first three Harry Potter movies, but got bored with it.
I do support the science of evolution, but that is not what you are talking about.
Actually I don't even read much fiction. I have read maybe 3 fiction books in the last 2 years.
Right now I am rereading 'Speaking Christian' by Marcus J. Borg and 'the 'Gnostic Gospels' by Elaine Pagels.
Anything but science, right Dogen?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109121 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Coulda, woulda, shoulda, Urb. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
I crushed that idea and you know it. Flat earth is nothing but myth and bigotry.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109122 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not.
Probably not.
LOL
It didn't even occur to you that the case didn't even involve Christianity - it was about intelligent design vs. evolution. But don't let the facts get in the way of your religious bigotry. Even the school board dismissed the idea that ID was religion in disguise. Also, thinking that only Christians accept ID is moronic to say the least. This just illustrates how ignorant you and Kong are of the subject. I could go on but want to keep this holiday civil. But when attacked with dirty lies the way I was by you and Kong I will respond!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 42 min SoE 7,474
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr macumazahn 20,900
News Soyuz carrying 3-man crew blasts off for orbiti... 6 hr Kid_Tomorrow 1
News 20 kilometer high space elevator tower planned 6 hr SpaceBlues 1
New Messaging App Creates Timeline of Your Life... 10 hr convergx 1
PowerPoint 2010 12 hr TomHowe 1
workable VPN that could unblock GFW China (Jan '13) 17 hr geek170 6
More from around the web