Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,777

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109050 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
You children constantly use deceit and then cry about making yourselves look like the childish idiots you choose to act like. Go home children, your mommies are calling you.
You and you Evo-buddy Lowell guy can only act like childish morons but you offer no evidence against my hypothesis - you have nothing but cut and paste - morons one and all - I am playing a game of mahjong and have you right where I want you.

Offer some evidence against my hypothesis that I bring to science from the new ideas that come from my brain - or run away like a childish moron.
Mugwump wrote:
More origional thinking from myself children, while you Evo children offer nothing origional.
The effect of darkness on the weight of water molecules:
By simple observation and the application of my rational thought processes I have come up with what Evo-science hasn't.
Coming home today I opted to get a taxi as it was raining hard as is often the case in UK at this time of year - it was also dark.
I also observed last month when on holiday in Vegas for a week that it never rained once, and indeed was sunny and bright all day due to the absense of clouds.
Looking back at other holidays it is obvious to anyone with a mind that brings new thoughts what the correlation was.
Goa - no clouds, hence lots of light - no rain
Berlin - in September, quite overcast with clouds, hence darker - some rain
Gambia - no clouds - very light - no rain
Chicago - January - a lot of clouds, so quite dark comparatively - a lot of rain.
Tallin - march - very dark because of covering of dark grey clouds - LOTS of rain
So my new thought that the above is evidence for is that light makes water molecules lighter, and conversely a lack of light will make them heavier hence leading to rain.
Non of you Evo-morons can dispute what I say because unlike you I bring new and original thinking to science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109051 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave new info to a branch of the AMA in Britain, hoping they would be different from America, but they weren't, they stole my ideas on dyslexia and profitted from it.
If I post something here, it is in the public domain, so no one else can take credit for what I put forth.
You children sure love to talk about others, but you offer absolutely no origional thinking, about science. All you have is cut and paste. Children can cut and paste. Oops, you are children, because you act like children. Of course that's what the worlds schools teach.

Oh, yea. I forgot to add dyslexia and the speed of light to your nutbag list.

I still say the universe is made entirely of invisible purple ping-pong balls. My "theory" has at least as much chance of being right as anything you ever come up with.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109052 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Funny, I prove NASA and Goddard must be stupid, according to their own web site.
You children are the failures.
Stupidity of NASA +Goddard
On the website,----http://eclipse.gsf c.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser. html
It claims,--------- scientists have been able to determine the round-trip travel time that gives the distance between the two bodies at any time to an accuracy of about 3 centimeters.
I say, WOW, what a marvel.
On to the next part.
Science claims,---"Lunar ranging involves sending a laser beam through an optical telescope," Dickey said. "The beam enters the telescope where the eye piece would be, and the transmitted beam is expanded to become the diameter of the main mirror, then bounced off the surface toward the reflector on the Moon."
The reflectors are too small to be seen from Earth, so even when the beam is precisely aligned in the telescope, actually hitting a lunar retroreflector array is technically challenging. At the Moon's surface the beam is roughly four miles wide. Scientists liken the task of aiming the beam to using a rifle to hit a moving dime two miles away.
I say,--------so now, with a laser light 4 miles wide and an exact location, probably sending out a beacon or should be, they complain like hell. So much for close, perhaps 500 pound bomb close.
Now here is a crucial piece to my complaint.--------
Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.
I say,------read that last sentence very carefully. One photon every few seconds.
Science doesn't say one or two seconds or a couple of seconds. Instead, science claims a FEW seconds, meaning, it took 3 or more seconds for the photon to go from the moon to the earth. That means, that the bean should have taken, 1.3 seconds and not a full 3 seconds or more as NASA and the Goddard space center claim.
Suck on that Evo morons.

We already explained your misunderstanding to you. You were too stupid to understand that too.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109053 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Origional work from myself follows.
You children offer nothing new.
Stupidity of NASA +Goddard
On the website,----http://eclipse.gsf c.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser. html
It claims,--------- scientists have been able to determine the round-trip travel time that gives the distance between the two bodies at any time to an accuracy of about 3 centimeters.
I say, WOW, what a marvel.
On to the next part.
Science claims,---"Lunar ranging involves sending a laser beam through an optical telescope," Dickey said. "The beam enters the telescope where the eye piece would be, and the transmitted beam is expanded to become the diameter of the main mirror, then bounced off the surface toward the reflector on the Moon."
The reflectors are too small to be seen from Earth, so even when the beam is precisely aligned in the telescope, actually hitting a lunar retroreflector array is technically challenging. At the Moon's surface the beam is roughly four miles wide. Scientists liken the task of aiming the beam to using a rifle to hit a moving dime two miles away.
I say,--------so now, with a laser light 4 miles wide and an exact location, probably sending out a beacon or should be, they complain like hell. So much for close, perhaps 500 pound bomb close.
Now here is a crucial piece to my complaint.--------
Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.
I say,------read that last sentence very carefully. One photon every few seconds.
Science doesn't say one or two seconds or a couple of seconds. Instead, science claims a FEW seconds, meaning, it took 3 or more seconds for the photon to go from the moon to the earth. That means, that the bean should have taken, 1.3 seconds and not a full 3 seconds or more as NASA and the Goddard space center claim.
Suck on that Evo morons.

Previously refuted.

Original stupidity does not advance science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109054 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
More of my origional work children,
WHAT HAVE ANY of YOU BROUGHT?
Mid Atlantic mountains width
I told you children to be aware of a game of chess. I kept you looking in one place, making you feel comfortable and getting you to do exactly what you did, thanks.
Now children, ask yourselves, how wide are the mountains at the mid Atlantic ridge? They surely aren't 67,500 miles wide
The width of the mountains should equal the movement of those plates and science claims that in one million years, the plates lose approximately 15 miles, so if the earth is 4.5 billion years old and one million divided into 4.5 billion is 4500, then multiply 15times 4500, which equals 67,500 miles of lost plate. The width of the mountains at the mid atl ridge is minuscule, so please explain how that can be.

I even posted an animation to show you what was going on. You apparently are to stupid to even click in the link.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109055 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
More of my origional work children, while not one of you offers anything new.
Now children, ask yourselves, how wide are the mountains at the mid Atlantic ridge? They surely aren't 67,500 miles wide
The width of the mountains should equal the movement of those plates and science claims that in one million years, the plates lose approximately 15 miles, so if the earth is 4.5 billion years old and one million divided into 4.5 billion is 4500, then multiply 15times 4500, which equals 67,500 miles of lost plate. The width of the mountains at the mid atl ridge is minuscule, so please explain how that can be.

We have all refuted this. It is not our fault you are both stupid and uneducated. You could have gone to school and learned real stuff. Instead you stew in your own filth and psychotic self importance. Take a GD shower!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109056 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
More origional work from myself.
You children offer nothing but cut and paste from other people.
Earths rotation rate around the barycenter between the earth and sun is about 67,000 miles an hour. Earths spinrate on its axis is right at 1,000 mph. Notice that earth has a strong atmosphere and strong gravity as well. However, earth has water all across its surface, where most other planets don't, so that likely plays a big part in having a strong atmosphere.
Then look at earths moon, it's rotational rate around the earth and its barycenter is, very slow, 1.03 km/s just as the moons spin rate on its own axis is about 13 miles per hour. Notice that the moon has very little atmosphere and very little gravity. Both axial spin and rotation around earth are slow and the atmosphere and gravity are very weak. 
Let's then look at the rotation rate of Venus, around the barycenter and the sun at 78,341 miles per hour, that's faster than earths rotation rate around the suns barycenter, of course, Venus is closer to the sun and being closer to the sun, Gravity becomes greater according to Newtons second law of motion, so how is it that Venus is 90% of the size, mass and density and it's gravity is 90% of the earths. That cannot be, Venus is 1/3 closer to the sun. If Newtons 2nd law is correct, venus should have a much greater gravity.
Then it's axis spin rate is very slow, at just 6.5 km/hour, but I add in, that Venus has an atmosphere where the winds roar across the planet at 220 miles per hour, approximately. This will prove important, because in my  hypothesis, axial spin rate creates atmosphere. However, with Venus as a model and a tiny axial spin rate, there should be no atmosphere. Volcanoes to the rescue, it seems those and more chemicals are creating the venus atmosphere. 
On to Uranus!!! 
It is 14.537 times larger than earth and yet, it has but 91%of earths gravity. Notice!!!, Uranus rotates around the sun or barycenter, at just, 2.59 km/s. 
You can fit 750 earths inside Saturn and yet, Saturn has about the same gravity as earth. 
Saturns rotational rate is just, 9.63 km/s. 
Next is Mercury, it spins on its own axis at only 6 mph and according to my hypothesis, mercury should not have much of an atmosphere and it doesnt. However, it's rotational rate around the suns barycenter is 106,000 miles per hour, meaning, that according to my hypothesis, Mercury's gravity should be higher  and by the way, it is 2/3rds closer to the sun than the earth, so it's gravity should be very high, even for its size, but wait a minute, mercury is 40% of earths size. Gravity on Mercury is only 38% of earths. According to Newtons second law of motion, gravity should be much higher on mercury.
Mars, now here's something interesting. Mars and earth traverse their orbits around the sun and their respective barycenters at about the same velocity. Both also spin on their axis at about 1,000 miles per hour., and yet, mars is half the size of earth. Mars gravity is 38% of earths gravity, which is less than half of earths, but once one factors in that mars is further away from the sun, it's easy to see the other 12% loss in gravity, considering Newtons second law of motion. The mars spin and orbital rate match up with its gravity and atmosphere, according to my hypothesis.
I thought it was very clear, but ok, axis spin in part is necessary in creating weather and rotational spin is necessary in part, in creating gravity. The speed of spin and rotation are just as important as the spin and rotation. There are clear cut exceptions in the rule of axis spin creating weather and 2 are Venus and Neptune. Surface water on earth is another reason for heavier weather.

Refutation by Sir Issac Newton.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109057 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
More origional work from myself, where is yours children?
Lenski's antibiotic claim
If you claim something, show proof.
Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reverse the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.
By Jim Ryan 

If you claim something, show proof.

We have already refuted this.

This is all your psychopathology talking. You are mentally disturbed and live in your own delusional world. You have no scientific knowledge nor do you appear to have the intelligence nor aptitude to ever complete real scientific training. You will be better off if you can come to accept the truth as cold and hard as it is.

I realize you are to far gone to ever (again) seek psychiatric help, but I still encourage you to do so. I feel this is my responsibility to you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109058 Nov 22, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
It looks like Ryan forgot to take his medication today.

He forgets to take his medication every day.

He has a hostility toward mental health so I presume he has been in treatment before and had a bad experience (they told him he was delusional).

While others here have antiscience beliefs due to their religious preoccupation this is not the case with Jim. He is really delusional in the classic sense and his religious beliefs are a distant issue.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109059 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
I was making a point. You must enjoy playing, as you do it so well.

Your point, though you do not know it, is that you don't understand how the mid atlantic ridge works. The dynamics have been explained to you but you are unable to comprehend.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109060 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
That should be, playing dumb, in the above post.

But you don't have to play, do you.

You seem cranky. Have you had your dipper changed lately.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109061 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
More origional thinking from myself children, while you Evo children offer nothing origional.
Spin electron rate earth gravity
Addendum to my theory on gravity and spin. 
EDEE!
As everything is connected to everything and everyone, so too must earths spin and rotational rates, as well as electromagnetism and gravity.
From my perspective at this time, the reason science does not understand electromagnetisim or gravity, is because science cannot measure spin rate in electrons.
The possibility exists that electrons spin correlates to either the earths spin rate on its axis, the rotational rate around our barycenter or possibly a combination. 
If science were to use earths spin rate first, in doing test within the electromagnetic field, it may reveal much more. Do the electrons in our bodies spin at 1000 miles per hour and is that the reason we don't feel the earth spinning as it does?
Within gravity fields, 67,000 miles an hour, likely interacting with electromagnetism, our own electrons may be spinning in our own bodies that fast.

You are really the dumbest biped alive.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109062 Nov 22, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
The effect of darkness on the weight of water molecules:
By simple observation and the application of my rational thought processes I have come up with what Evo-science hasn't.
Coming home today I opted to get a taxi as it was raining hard as is often the case in UK at this time of year - it was also dark.
I also observed last month when on holiday in Vegas for a week that it never rained once, and indeed was sunny and bright all day due to the absense of clouds.
Looking back at other holidays it is obvious to anyone with a mind that brings new thoughts what the correlation was.
Goa - no clouds, hence lots of light - no rain
Berlin - in September, quite overcast with clouds, hence darker - some rain
Gambia - no clouds - very light - no rain
Chicago - January - a lot of clouds, so quite dark comparatively - a lot of rain.
Tallin - march - very dark because of covering of dark grey clouds - LOTS of rain
So my new thought that the above is evidence for is that light makes water molecules lighter, and conversely a lack of light will make them heavier hence leading to rain.
Non of you Evo-morons can dispute what I say because unlike you I bring new and original thinking to science.

Well, it makes more sense than anything Jim has come up with.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109063 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
You children constantly use deceit and then cry about making yourselves look like the childish idiots you choose to act like. Go home children, your mommies are calling you.

Prove him wrong by his own words - neither you or you clique buddy ....(ooops, I forgot everyone thinks your crazy) can show me wrong and don't just cut and paste.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109064 Nov 22, 2012
Diarrhea Dogen, hahahahahahaha

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109065 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Diarrhea Dogen, hahahahahahaha

The game is chess.

You don't know how to play, do you?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#109066 Nov 22, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave new info to a branch of the AMA in Britain, hoping they would be different from America, but they weren't, they stole my ideas on dyslexia and profitted from it.
If I post something here, it is in the public domain, so no one else can take credit for what I put forth.
You children sure love to talk about others, but you offer absolutely no origional thinking, about science. All you have is cut and paste. Children can cut and paste. Oops, you are children, because you act like children. Of course that's what the worlds schools teach.
1: The AMA doesn't have a branch in England, the isles, or any of Great Britain as far as I'm aware. The first A in AMA kind of sets it apart from other countries.

2: If it's so damn important, PATENT IT.

3: If it's so damn true, PUBLISH IT. Problem is, you've got to have this pesky thing called EVIDENCE.

4: Do you have any inside information about forthcoming attacks upon America or its interests around the world? Have you sent a letter to your congressman and the President regarding these threats to our security?

5: How many UFOs have you witnessed, and do they serve good food on the ships where they probe you?

Please, we need to know. You're the only one who has all this critical knowledge. I understand that the entire world is out to steal your tackstrip ideas and your immunology insights, but you can't let the world suffer for your selfish desire for credit. Be the bigger man, and save humanity!

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#109067 Nov 22, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Moron - prove me wrong by my own words - neither you or you clique buddy psychology can show me wrong and just cut and paste.
If you want to play a game of billiards then I will - I have moved you into a place I wanted you and have by my words bought original ideas to science.
That you have. And, for that, I thank you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#109068 Nov 23, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
1: The AMA doesn't have a branch in England, the isles, or any of Great Britain as far as I'm aware. The first A in AMA kind of sets it apart from other countries.
2: If it's so damn important, PATENT IT.
3: If it's so damn true, PUBLISH IT. Problem is, you've got to have this pesky thing called EVIDENCE.
4: Do you have any inside information about forthcoming attacks upon America or its interests around the world? Have you sent a letter to your congressman and the President regarding these threats to our security?
5: How many UFOs have you witnessed, and do they serve good food on the ships where they probe you?
Please, we need to know. You're the only one who has all this critical knowledge. I understand that the entire world is out to steal your tackstrip ideas and your immunology insights, but you can't let the world suffer for your selfish desire for credit. Be the bigger man, and save humanity!
To #5, I've witnessed 100+ UOFs in life. Though, they were probably just bugs, since I don't know much about flying critters they're all UFOs to me, unless they fly in my mouth.

I know what a fly tastes like.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109069 Nov 23, 2012
Hahahahahahaha, tell us when you get a thought all your own children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Astronauts getting 3-D printer at space station 3 hr DOnT OBEY ALL ORDERS 4
Bill Maher Takes Aim at Minnesota Congressman 4 hr Obama Bad 104
Alibaba symbol of China's new tech giants 5 hr well 5
Space station shipment contains 3-D printer; Sp... 6 hr Kid_Tomorrow 3
Post your FeaturePoints referral code to get re... 10 hr Sabrina 17
Researchers rekindle vaccine-autism debate 15 hr Starts with Vaccines 3
Ruben Navarrette: Hispanics demand respect, abo... 19 hr spud 6
•••

Science / Technology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE