Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#103635 Oct 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference. Genetic Mutations can be neutral but they can also cause disease, aging, and death. We can slow it down with proper nutrition but we can't stop it altogether just like we can't stop the steady onward march of entropy and accumulating genetic mutations in the entire population.
For most people (and living things) the balance is towards a decrease in entropy during reproductive years and an increase in entropy after reproductive years.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103636 Oct 5, 2012
Johny wrote:
The Second Law of Thermodynamics is what kills evolution! It is essentially the probability problem.
Why do you hate kittens?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103637 Oct 5, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to kill macroevolution you have to kill microevolution, because macroevolution is just more microevolution.
No problem. THE EARTH IS JUST 6,000 YEARS OLD, HAHA!!!

Oh wait...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103638 Oct 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is not what's happening. Creationists are not misunderstanding it. Evolutionist are distorting it to make the reality of it untrue. If you really want to make a solid point instead of just calling names you need to show some math and physics. Otherwise you're just all talk. Oh and by the way, Creationists are much better at math and physics than evolutionists are.
Sure they would be, except they suck at math and physics. I recall you abysmally dealing with math some time ago. Even back then I pointed out that even if my premise happened to be wrong, my math wasn't and yours was. Not that the disappointment you find in reality stops you from gloating beyond your capabilities.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103639 Oct 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference. Genetic Mutations can be neutral but they can also cause disease, aging, and death. We can slow it down with proper nutrition but we can't stop it altogether just like we can't stop the steady onward march of entropy and accumulating genetic mutations in the entire population.
Oh Urb, nutrition doesn't prevent mutations. Mutations don't cause ageing. Ageing causes ageing. Mutations during ones lifetime are caused by other factors such as damage and disease. Natural entropy is not relevant to that. And mutations which occur naturally due to procreation are not affected by ageing nor mutations which occur later due to other factors.

I thank you for demonstrating again that despite your claims you know total zip about physics or biology. Or science in general.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103640 Oct 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you answered the question here. That was a dodge.
He's been dodging everyone for over two years.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103641 Oct 5, 2012
Psychology wrote:
No worries, his deceit is all he has. He is worth less than nothing.
Ah, shaddap Jimbo. Leave the irony meters alone.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103642 Oct 5, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
He's been dodging everyone for over two years.(shrug)
It seems to be the primary Creationist tactic. On another thread I used the word "design" in a question I posed to a Creationist. He jumped on the word and will not answer the question.

The stupid really hurts sometimes.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#103645 Oct 5, 2012
Psychology wrote:
I agree, stupid, cliquish scientists do hurt.
Lenski's antibiotic claim
If you claim something, show proof.
Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reverse the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.
By Jim Ryan 

You clearly have not actually read the papers in question.

And clearly evolutionary mnemonic's is not a function of bacteria. However, bacteria HAVE been shown to have some memory, but that is not the same thing as what you are claiming.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103646 Oct 5, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to kill macroevolution you have to kill microevolution, because macroevolution is just more microevolution.
Yeah this really did not dawn on me for years. Exactly WHAT stops "micro" from becoming "macro"? Have Creationists ever given even a hint of a reply to this?
Mugwump

Northampton, UK

#103648 Oct 5, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly have not actually read the papers in question.
And clearly evolutionary mnemonic's is not a function of bacteria. However, bacteria HAVE been shown to have some memory, but that is not the same thing as what you are claiming.
Now you have done it , he will be insisting bacteria can play chess now
Psychology

United States

#103649 Oct 5, 2012
Psychology | 30 min ago
It may also be that bacteria create a reverse in such, to keep from degrading it's own potentials.
Humans degrade themselves, because they have no common good, it is always corrupted.

Suck on that Evo morons.

Bringing new thoughts is not a possibility, for those that choose deciet and follow the leaders that are corrupt for money and position.
Psychology

United States

#103650 Oct 5, 2012
Follow the leader, copy and paste morons, never bring new thinking.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103651 Oct 5, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reverse the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.
By Jim Ryan 
Carpet tacks are great for your sex life, right Jimbo?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#103652 Oct 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah this really did not dawn on me for years. Exactly WHAT stops "micro" from becoming "macro"? Have Creationists ever given even a hint of a reply to this?
The ONLY thing that would work is if the Earth was 6,000 years old. That's why so many fundies are YECers. Otherwise they're screwed.
Mugwump

Northampton, UK

#103653 Oct 5, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The ONLY thing that would work is if the Earth was 6,000 years old. That's why so many fundies are YECers. Otherwise they're screwed.
Actually, I think it's the other way around.

Fundies believe in a literal interpretation of the bible , with a 6k year old earth - THAT'S why they HAVE to dispute ToE as that does take millions of years.

Unfortunately the evidence points to old earth and ToE, not the biblical account - which is why they have to go into major bullshit overload to justify their position.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#103654 Oct 5, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Psychology | 30 min ago
It may also be that bacteria create a reverse in such, to keep from degrading it's own potentials.
Humans degrade themselves, because they have no common good, it is always corrupted.
Suck on that Evo morons.
Bringing new thoughts is not a possibility, for those that choose deciet and follow the leaders that are corrupt for money and position.

Bringing WORTHWHILE new thoughts is not a possibility for those that choose ignorance and acceptance of brainwashing.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#103655 Oct 5, 2012
Dating Between Modern Humans and Neandertals

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/...
LowellGuy

United States

#103656 Oct 5, 2012
Psychology wrote:
I agree. You claim that a planet's rotational speed affects its gravitational pull. Show your proof.

You claim cats pee on the carpet because of tackstrips. Show your proof.

You surely don't hold yourself to a lower standard than you do the rest of us, for that would be dishonest and hypocritical. So, your evidence is eagerly awaited.
Mugwump

Northampton, UK

#103658 Oct 5, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. You claim that a planet's rotational speed affects its gravitational pull. Show your proof.
You claim cats pee on the carpet because of tackstrips. Show your proof.
You surely don't hold yourself to a lower standard than you do the rest of us, for that would be dishonest and hypocritical. So, your evidence is eagerly awaited.
Good luck with that

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min Eagle 12 - 79,872
News The case for Trump-Russia collusion: We're gett... 21 hr youll shoot your ... 96
News Now at Whole Foods: Cheaper milk, 'farm fresh' ... Tue a_visitor 5
News Help wanted: Amazon holds job fair to hire 50,0... Tue Simplejim 3
News Reem Alattas, the inventor of a next-generation... Sep 18 America Gentleman... 2
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) Sep 18 SoE 14,526
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) Sep 17 SoE 209
More from around the web