Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180300 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#101375 Sep 2, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
Here you go Cowflop:
http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2008/03/hi...
<quoted text>
And if you go to the bottom of that article you will find links to supporting articles.
You really don't get it do you?

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#101376 Sep 2, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What? That you have no clue? I knew that long long ago.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#101377 Sep 2, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Dogen has to be an escaped mental patient.
Gee, that's funny, I was thinking you were. Such strange posts you make.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#101378 Sep 2, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
This would be a LIE!
Say hi to ha'Satan for us when you get to Hell.
That's pretty much what I have heard about the Holocaust.
Mugwump

UK

#101379 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
In the absence of any rational rebuttals from you about what Hitler wrote in Mein Kampf, and the fact that what you have presented is unsupported opinions .....

Then I would suggest that we DO get it, and YET AGAIN it is you that is at odds with reality and unable to justify your position.
Mugwump

UK

#101380 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Hitler's need for moral acceptance to drop Zyklon B into sealed chambers came from two main fronts, one, a perverse church; and two, the theory of evolution. A perfect storm, if you will.
And yet again Urb demonstrates the double standards he applies to religion and ToE.

On the one hand he puts Hitler's Christian influences for his actions down to a perverted view of the religious teachings (can't say I disagree with UC on that one of course)

And on the other hand insists that it is ToE that is at fault and not Hitlers interpretation of it.

Obviously we have pointed out that Hitler in fact rejected Darwin's ideas as abhorrent anyway - but UC always likes a main course of hypocrisy to follow his entree of ignorance.
say

Mountain Home, AR

#101381 Sep 3, 2012
Liam R wrote:
It's evolution. It's not like it is rocket science...
sure why not

Clearwater, FL

#101382 Sep 3, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet again Urb demonstrates the double standards he applies to religion and ToE.
On the one hand he puts Hitler's Christian influences for his actions down to a perverted view of the religious teachings (can't say I disagree with UC on that one of course)
And on the other hand insists that it is ToE that is at fault and not Hitlers interpretation of it.
Obviously we have pointed out that Hitler in fact rejected Darwin's ideas as abhorrent anyway - but UC always likes a main course of hypocrisy to follow his entree of ignorance.
What double standard? Of course it was Hitler's interpretation of evolution. What evidence is there that he rejected Darwin's ideas? Being on a book burning list (even if that were true) does not mean he still didn't pervert Darwin's IDEAS about survival of the fittest and favored races, etc., and use them as an excuse to exterminate Jews and the weak. Hitler's own words and deeds are bonifide evidence of his perversion of evolution. To believe anything less is simply delusional and very dishonest.

Clearwater, FL

#101383 Sep 3, 2012
It's been awhile, but I'm finally adding a new Reason to my List: Closed-Shelled Mollusks! Besides Bivalve mullusks being living fossils, their fossil provide more striking evidence of rapid deposition; it is observed today that when they die the shells open up within hours, but they are often found with shells closed, indicating quick burial within hours.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#101384 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Hitler's need for moral acceptance to drop Zyklon B into sealed chambers came from two main fronts, one, a perverse church; and two, the theory of evolution. A perfect storm, if you will.
The German Christian Movement redefined Jesus as an Aryan warrior who's enemy is the Jews. The old testament was discarded, and the New Testament was revised entirely (Die Botshaft Gottes), with any Jewish references retained only where deemed negative. All Jewish lineages were eliminated. Accompanied by a sanitized hymnbook and Nazi catechism, this religious cult was about as far from true Christianity as you could get.
Translations of Origin of Species and Descent of Man widely published in Germany and Hitler imbibed the Darwinist philosophy of the strong eliminating the weak. The infamous Ernst Haeckel wrote and promoted Darwinism which became enormously popular at the same time radiacal anti-semitism was surging in Germany. Hitler wrote in Mein Kampf:
"He who does not wish to fight in this world, where permanent struggle is THE LAW OF LIFE, has not the right to exist."
"The stronger must dominate and not mate with the weak..."
"Only the born weakling can look upon this principle as cruel, and if he does so it is merely because he is of a feebler nature and narrower mind; for IF SUCH A LAW DID NOT DIRECT THE PROCESS OF EVOLUTION then the higher development of organic life would not be conceivable at all.
"If nature does not wish that weaker individuals should mate with the stronger, she wishes even less that a superior race should intermingle with an inferior one; because in such a case all her efforts, THROUGHOUT HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS, TO ESTABLISH AN EVOLUTIONARY HIGHER STAGE OF BEING (i.e., referring to recent human evolution), may thus be rendered futile."

To make a long story short (way to late) weak minds warp the bible AND evolution. Remind you of anyone in your mirror.

You ignore that Hitler accepted Mendel and rejected Darwin. I wonder why?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#101385 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest was a great movie.

A classic. Not a very accurate picture of mental illness, but lets not make that an issue.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#101386 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are joking, right? Because you couldn't possibly be that stupid or dishonest.

He was just following the logic. You are the one that lied and implied Hitler was a darwinist and was inspired by darwin.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#101387 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep dreaming.

I keep dreaming that you will wake up from your delusional ideation.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#101388 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

No, you don't. Deal with the data and not the delusions.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#101389 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What double standard? Of course it was Hitler's interpretation of evolution. What evidence is there that he rejected Darwin's ideas? Being on a book burning list (even if that were true) does not mean he still didn't pervert Darwin's IDEAS about survival of the fittest and favored races, etc., and use them as an excuse to exterminate Jews and the weak. Hitler's own words and deeds are bonifide evidence of his perversion of evolution. To believe anything less is simply delusional and very dishonest.

Oh, of course things that make sense to you and not to rational people are true. You have no evidence, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, that Hitler was positively influenced by Darwin. History says he rejected him, but never mind history.

Consider this link to be a full and comprehensive refutation of your nonsense:

http://home.uchicago.edu/~rjr6/articles/Was%2...

Here is just one quote: "Rather, biologists and philosophers most closely identified with the goals of the Nazi party and officials in that party utterly rejected Darwinian theory,"

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#101390 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
It's been awhile, but I'm finally adding a new Reason to my List: Closed-Shelled Mollusks! Besides Bivalve mullusks being living fossils, their fossil provide more striking evidence of rapid deposition; it is observed today that when they die the shells open up within hours, but they are often found with shells closed, indicating quick burial within hours.

Mud slides are the most common reason for fossilization in the oceans.

This is consistent with evolution.

How ignorant can this guy get?

Clearwater, FL

#101391 Sep 3, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
He was just following the logic. You are the one that lied and implied Hitler was a darwinist and was inspired by darwin.
Clearly at some level, he was inspired by Darwin's dangerous ideas. Of course he didn't use them to practice science but rather used the theory's basic tenents as an excuse to hurry evolution along and preserve the "superior" Aryan race. Anyone can see that it is the case. And not only that, it is still happening! Millions of innocent unborn slaughtered for the generally the same reason.

Clearwater, FL

#101392 Sep 3, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, of course things that make sense to you and not to rational people are true. You have no evidence, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, that Hitler was positively influenced by Darwin. History says he rejected him, but never mind history.
Consider this link to be a full and comprehensive refutation of your nonsense:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~rjr6/articles/Was%2...
Here is just one quote: "Rather, biologists and philosophers most closely identified with the goals of the Nazi party and officials in that party utterly rejected Darwinian theory,"
We have Hitler's own words and deeds! Do you dispute that too? Are you one of those Holocaust deniers?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#101393 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
We have Hitler's own words and deeds! Do you dispute that too? Are you one of those Holocaust deniers?
You are ignoring 90% of Adolf's words, there are a lot of Hitlers by the way, it's a family name, that's why we have three names. His deeds only demonstrate he was a bad person by our modern standards of morality, but by your ancient book he was completely justified.
Mugwump

UK

#101394 Sep 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly at some level, he was inspired by Darwin's dangerous ideas. Of course he didn't use them to practice science but rather used the theory's basic tenents as an excuse to hurry evolution along and preserve the "superior" Aryan race. Anyone can see that it is the case. And not only that, it is still happening! Millions of innocent unborn slaughtered for the generally the same reason.
And this invalidates evolution how?

And if it does , is religion somehow invalidated by the same rationale ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack and Michelle Obama sign Netflix deal to ... 15 min He Named Me Black... 26
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr positronium 94,160
Cisco Data Center Networking (DCICN) Exam | Cis... 19 hr herrypotter 2
News How to Get A Free Oculus Go VR Headset Sun Mobile 1
News GOP congressman asks if rocks are causing sea l... Sun Let Freedom Ring 4
News Lost history: How 4 Ohio kids ended pay toilets... Sun Bush Peeing 1
News Wortham: Unicorns are alive, well and working t... (Oct '09) May 19 Eleanor Montcrief 3