Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#100109 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You may see microevolution happening but not macroevolution. Genetic variation and natural selection was designed into the Creation but no plant or animal ever transitioned from one type to another. Nobody has ever seen the kind of microbes-to-man macroevolution happen and there is no evidence that it ever did happen. You have been hypnotized and drugged by the hyperbole and equivocation that is the mind-controlling theory of evolution but it is wrong and it is a total lie. You are seeing the world through a pair of broken binoculars that are always out of focus. If you could fix them, you would be able to see the world properly in clear focus with all it's rich complexity that it is the result of intelligent design by a supreme Creator.
What is the mechanism that prevents the transition from micro evolution to macro evolution? What is it that ensures that a small isolated group will always be able to reproduce with its ancestor group? Are you referring to science or to "God's Law"?
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100110 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All you do is twist the facts and nitpik minor differences.
116,299,474,006,080,000,000,00 0,000

AND

Is a minor difference - you are KIDDING, glad i'm not one of your CPA clients.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are avoiding the big picture that I explained earlier.
Nope, it is you who is avoiding that fact that using your formula and your data - the results don't match reality
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That is, in general, a standard exponetial growth curve fits the biblical account nicely,
Not if the figures I produced using your formula are anything to go by.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
but nothing about evolution can explain zero growth for millions of years and then, all of a sudden, an exponential growth curve matches the actual historical world population growth data from the Flood to the present 7 billion.
Actually all this has been explained numerous times - you just ignore it , or dont understand it

But all this aside - can you explain why my use of your formula and data to project from 2348 BC --> 1000 BC gives a population some 2325989480121600000 times bigger than the observed data

********** Just answer the above question - have asked about 3 times now **********
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100111 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like another baseless opinion.
Instead of that stupid list of of phony arguments from incredulity and ignorance that you keep putting up, you should assemble "Urban Clownboy's Amazing List of 99 Baseless Assumptions".
With respect - he already has - its called his '99 Reasons why Evolution never happened'

Since: Aug 07

United States

#100112 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like another baseless opinion.
Instead of that stupid list of of phony arguments from incredulity and ignorance that you keep putting up, you should assemble "Urban Clownboy's Amazing List of 99 Baseless Assumptions".
Clownboy? Surely I overestimated your IQ. But then again, you ARE a Darwinist.

“Don't get me started”

Minneapolis

#100113 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That was ignorant. Actually, zero to 27 million only requires 3 children each for 15 generations.
You mean "3 childred each" person? Or "3 children each bonded family unit?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#100114 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Consistently tests about 140. Once at 148, but I'm sure that was an anomaly.
Everybody's IQ is 140. Just ask around.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#100115 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not too swift are you pal? What is the generation age I gave? How many children per couple? Damn you're stupid.
Nope, you're the stupid one.

Matthew 1:17
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

Using your formula, if there were just two people at the time of Abraham there would be forty-six quadrillion people at the time of Christ:

2*3^28 = 4.57536E+13
Quadrillion is right, isn't it. I keep telling you exponential models never work but you just refuse to listen.

Holy mackerel, it's not twenty-eight generation, it's forty-two generations. There's probably not even a word for ten to the twentieth power people.

“Don't get me started”

Minneapolis

#100116 Aug 19, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody's IQ is 140. Just ask around.
<smile>
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#100117 Aug 19, 2012
IQ tests are nothing more than memory tests. Morons believe whatever they are told.
You cannot measure a persons IQ. Any person has the chance at outsmarting any and all others, in anything, if given the chance.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#100118 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are a Boardist.

Anyone can claim anything on the internet. You seem to have a very low ability to learn and that is what IQ supposedly measures. From your actions here your IQ is definitely below 100. An above average intelligence would not repeatedly post nonsense that has been debunked thousands of times over now would he?

United States

#100119 Aug 19, 2012
Psychology wrote:
IQ tests are nothing more than memory tests. Morons believe whatever they are told.
You cannot measure a persons IQ. Any person has the chance at outsmarting any and all others, in anything, if given the chance.
I know. I'm just messing with them.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#100120 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgive me? He'll thank me. Homosexuality is wrong any way you look at it. Biblically, practically, medically, hygenically, socially, and reproductivly. It's sick and deviant behavior condemned by both God and State Law.
Florida's Sodomy Laws
Florida Criminal Code 800.02 establishes punishment for "any unnatural and lascivious act".
Adults are prohibited from living "in an open state of adultery" by 798.01. Adults are also prohibited from engaging in "lewd and lascivious behavior" by 798.02.
Punishment for violations of the sections defining a unnatural and lascivious act, living in open adultery, lewd and lascivious behavior, are all misdemeanors of the second degree, punishable by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days and a fine that shall not exceed $500.
Yours is a much later interpretation, probably from around the Reformation.

Ezekiel 16:49
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

Apparently they had something like a Green River Ordinance where strangers were not to be welcomed.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#100121 Aug 19, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Just because you don't have an IQ doesn't mean nobody does.

United States

#100122 Aug 19, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you're the stupid one.
Matthew 1:17
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.
Using your formula, if there were just two people at the time of Abraham there would be forty-six quadrillion people at the time of Christ:
2*3^28 = 4.57536E+13
Quadrillion is right, isn't it. I keep telling you exponential models never work but you just refuse to listen.
Holy mackerel, it's not twenty-eight generation, it's forty-two generations. There's probably not even a word for ten to the twentieth power people.
You are doing it wrong you moron.
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100123 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are doing it wrong you moron.
I take it you dishonesty is going to prevent you from outlining why it is wrong.

Or why the figures I arrived at for 1000 BC are wrong.

This is why your views on evolution are worthless - you make claims, ignore evidence to the contrary, hand wave when the results of your absurd notions are shown to not have any correlation with reality, then finally get all pissy and call people names.

Luckily that's not how true science works, creation science maybe, but that doesn't count.

The sad bit is you will bring out you population stats nonsense in your list of 99 reasons why you are deluded, again and again and probably think it should be taught in schools as fact.

Now I have no doubt you will dodge, hand wave and get pissy but until you actually address the issues put to you - that's all you got.

Regards

United States

#100124 Aug 19, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you dishonesty is going to prevent you from outlining why it is wrong.
Or why the figures I arrived at for 1000 BC are wrong.
This is why your views on evolution are worthless - you make claims, ignore evidence to the contrary, hand wave when the results of your absurd notions are shown to not have any correlation with reality, then finally get all pissy and call people names.
Luckily that's not how true science works, creation science maybe, but that doesn't count.
The sad bit is you will bring out you population stats nonsense in your list of 99 reasons why you are deluded, again and again and probably think it should be taught in schools as fact.
Now I have no doubt you will dodge, hand wave and get pissy but until you actually address the issues put to you - that's all you got.
Regards
I am not upset as I realize that there are idiots like you and others that are fixated on evolution and can not interpret actual data.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#100125 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
And I have a degree in Biology. Something you'll never be able to claim.
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100126 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not upset as I realize that there are idiots like you and others that are fixated on evolution and can not interpret actual data.
As I said folks

Dodging and name calling, plus projection as he is the one that refuses to look at actual numbers produced by his own exponential growth formula.

Think we can all agree, that we can cross pop stats off UC's 99 reasons

I'll draft the retraction to the science journals on Urbs behalf

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#100127 Aug 19, 2012
CassandraC wrote:
<quoted text>
really!?

Really

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#100128 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Kong! They are phonies that throw Jesus Christ, the Bible, and all that makes Christianity what it is under the bus for their own selfish, sinful desires.
Remember what the Bible teaches: "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many." (MAT 7:13)
That stupid forged letter that you circulate all the time is signed by gay and lesbian and all other manner of deviant perverted "churches" that bastardize the whole religion. Most of the signatories are repeated several times. Evolution is the work of Satan and is a total lie.

You have a lot of anger and self esteem issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Gary Coaldigger 20,691
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 3 hr nanoanomaly 7,199
News Four things to know about global warming 7 hr IB DaMann 1
News How leafy vegetables and carrots can give you a... 13 hr Spotted Girl 1
Recover Delted/Formatted/Inaccessible Data-Teno... (Aug '13) 23 hr Baker 4
News Hitchhiking Robot Murdered in Philly Sun Moliner 1
News Village of Ilion makes ransom payments to keep ... Sun Oh yes 2
More from around the web