Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#98868 Aug 12, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no difference between the "magic" of God and the "magic" of evolution. Neither can be explained by science. Evolutionists pretend to understand how life evolved, and in the processes make themselves look like fools.
The ridicule a belief in the resurrection, yet they hold to the myth that a worm could be bred into a man or life can arise from non-life.
There's a very big difference between saying "I don't know what exact process brought life into being" and "Goddidit with magic."

However, if the universe is ruled by magic, there would be no point to making a logical argument about anything.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98869 Aug 12, 2012
Today's scientists are grilling morons, created by money and sheer stupidity, while treating all as if they are too stupid to understand what children should understand.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#98870 Aug 12, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Prove that if one twin moves at the speed of light to another planet while the other twin stays here, that the twin that stayed here would be old or dead and the traveller much younger.
By your words, you claim to be too stupid to understand such, even though that site proved it for you.
Frik off twit.
They use this fact every day. Do you have a cell phone with GPS, or for that matter anything with a GPS in it? They have to correct for time dilation which is what the "Twin paradox" is all about. It has been proved many times over Jimbo.

Everett, WA

#98871 Aug 12, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Science claims that speed creates friction and friction slows things down. If you put a mechanical clock in a jet and fly at supersonic speeds, the jet is creating G forces against the pilot and also the mechanical clock, making it seem as if time is slowing down, which is what relativity has claimed and yet, never been able to prove.
The scientists by what they do, don't do and yet still claim, is to prove relativity, even though they treat the world as morons and themselves.
Oh so wrong in so many ways. But truly hilarious. You won't learn Jimbo, but you are a source of humor for all of us.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98872 Aug 12, 2012
leMango wrote:
Psychology, is your name Andrew Schlafly or Ken DeMeyer? I only ask because every one or your arguments reads like it's been taken directly from their website, conservapedia.com . Denying relativity, connecting it to relativism, even the Lenski thing are all talked about at length, albeit with his experiments with citrate uptake as opposed to the antibacterial resistance papers.
Anyway, I wasn't going to respond past that, but I noticed one huge error on your part that I couldn't resist correcting.
"and yet any moron should know that the speed of a jet produces G forces"
This statement is utterly wrong. Speed has no effect on G forces, but rather acceleration. To put it simply, it's the reason why you can be plastered to your seat in a car that's accelerating to 200 mph and at the same time not even notice that what you are standing on, the earth, is moving a hundred times faster through space.
So before you keep calling people "morons" and "twits," you might want to make sure that you know what you're actually talking about. Frankly it doesn't sound right now like you know enough about any physical science to realize the true degree of your ignorance.
So by my mistake, did those people make the same mistake? I have never copied another's work, in deceit. If you believe different, that should be easy to prove.

Thanks for the heads up and it's nice to know that there are a few more people in the world that understand what children should know.

My rightful name is Jim Ryan and has been since I was born. I have written on everything from medicine to outer space, floor covering to most anything else. What I don't know, I read about and then challenge all I read.

Everett, WA

#98873 Aug 12, 2012
Some reading for Jimbo:

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/As...

If you don't believe in relativity then you better get rid of your GPS devices.

Everett, WA

#98874 Aug 12, 2012
Some reading material for Jimbo:

So does your GPS work or doesn't it?
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98875 Aug 12, 2012
leMango wrote:
Psychology, is your name Andrew Schlafly or Ken DeMeyer? I only ask because every one or your arguments reads like it's been taken directly from their website, conservapedia.com . Denying relativity, connecting it to relativism, even the Lenski thing are all talked about at length, albeit with his experiments with citrate uptake as opposed to the antibacterial resistance papers.
Anyway, I wasn't going to respond past that, but I noticed one huge error on your part that I couldn't resist correcting.
"and yet any moron should know that the speed of a jet produces G forces"
This statement is utterly wrong. Speed has no effect on G forces, but rather acceleration. To put it simply, it's the reason why you can be plastered to your seat in a car that's accelerating to 200 mph and at the same time not even notice that what you are standing on, the earth, is moving a hundred times faster through space.
So before you keep calling people "morons" and "twits," you might want to make sure that you know what you're actually talking about. Frankly it doesn't sound right now like you know enough about any physical science to realize the true degree of your ignorance.
Let's see who you really are. Bring the lenski thing here.

When you say speed has no effect on G forces, will a car going at 5 miles an hour be enough?
Frik off moron.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98876 Aug 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
Some reading for Jimbo:
If you don't believe in relativity then you better get rid of your GPS devices.
Explain exactly what this means, as so far, scientists in so many things prove to be stupid to be a 5th grader.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98877 Aug 12, 2012
Addendum to above!

To achieve this level of precision, the clock ticks from the GPS satellites must be known to an accuracy of 20-30 nanoseconds. However, because the satellites are constantly moving relative to observers on the Earth, effects predicted by the Special and General theories of Relativity must be taken into account to achieve the desired 20-30 nanosecond accuracy.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#98878 Aug 12, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see who you really are. Bring the lenski thing here.
When you say speed has no effect on G forces, will a car going at 5 miles an hour be enough?
Frik off moron.
Speed has no actual effect on gravity, but gravity has an effect on speed, and this is what we call the "g force." In space, away from all large objects, there is no gravitational drag, there is no g force effecting you at all.

Relativity doesn't prove anything, tests have helped us develop relativity as a way to explain what we have observed, the name is just a fitting title, a summary. Please, learn actual science if you want to debate actual science.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98879 Aug 12, 2012
Addendum to above.. Explain how special and general relativity play their part. Saying they play a part without evidence is worthy of a child or a liar.

What proof do you, they offer?
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98880 Aug 12, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Speed has no actual effect on gravity, but gravity has an effect on speed, and this is what we call the "g force." In space, away from all large objects, there is no gravitational drag, there is no g force effecting you at all.
Relativity doesn't prove anything, tests have helped us develop relativity as a way to explain what we have observed, the name is just a fitting title, a summary. Please, learn actual science if you want to debate actual science.
Then prove that the speed of earths spin on its axis has no effect on its gravity.

Please learn actual science if you wish to debate actual science.

What is your evidence?
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98881 Aug 12, 2012
Oops, I should have said that she should prove that the speed of revolution around ours and the suns barycenter has no effect on gravity. Axis spin may play a part, but it has not enough evidence, as revolving around the barycenter does.

Everett, WA

#98882 Aug 12, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain exactly what this means, as so far, scientists in so many things prove to be stupid to be a 5th grader.
Jimbo, your GPS will not work correctly without corrections for time dilation based upon both General and Special Relativity. Time dilation is at the heart of the Twins Paradox. That paradox has been proven so many times that it is used in every day devices like your GPS. When you say that you do not believe the Twins Paradox you are in effect saying that you do not believe in GPS.

Everett, WA

#98883 Aug 12, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Addendum to above.. Explain how special and general relativity play their part. Saying they play a part without evidence is worthy of a child or a liar.
What proof do you, they offer?
Sorry, we don't have to explain exactly how special and general relativity apply. I have not taken a course on that.I can point to items that do rely on Relativity and that work because of it. You can argue with those experts if you want to. This is a proper appeal to authority. I went to the people who use relativity and linked an article on how it affects tools we use every day. I did not go to a relativistic physicist and ask him the proper way to play Bridge, that would be an improper appeal to authority.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#98884 Aug 12, 2012
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
1. What is a Kind?
2. What is the mechanism that prevents enough change from accumulating to the point where it is no longer the same 'Kind'?
--"Kind" refers to the ability to reproduce with the original population group.

--There is no mechanism that prevents enough accumulated change to happen.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98885 Aug 12, 2012
All I asked was for you, science, to explain relativitys role in the cell phone.

Can you and science explain it or not?
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#98886 Aug 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, we don't have to explain exactly how special and general relativity apply. I have not taken a course on that.I can point to items that do rely on Relativity and that work because of it. You can argue with those experts if you want to. This is a proper appeal to authority. I went to the people who use relativity and linked an article on how it affects tools we use every day. I did not go to a relativistic physicist and ask him the proper way to play Bridge, that would be an improper appeal to authority.
So you and science have no proof, evidence. BS gets nothing.

Everett, WA

#98887 Aug 12, 2012
Psychology wrote:
All I asked was for you, science, to explain relativitys role in the cell phone.
Can you and science explain it or not?
Me, no. I referred you to an article written by people who could. Do you want more sources? To understand this you do need to understand at least a little math, the language of physics. How far have you gone mathematically?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hacked emails show Democratic party hostility t... 25 min Trumping On 315
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Aura Mytha 40,754
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 54 min VetnorsGate 10,596
Sql server database 5 hr valmostricay 1
News Wind energy sweeps plains; course correction in... (Jan '09) 6 hr bpayne37 20
How to retrieve deleted texts on iphone 4s 10 hr AnnieChow 1
How to transfer video from ipad to computer ? 10 hr AnnieChow 1
More from around the web