Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178695 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#95989 Jul 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Solar is no good. You never get your return on investment. It kills the environment and it is terribly inefficient to store. I looked into it for my home. At the Solarstore, the guy (who had a PhD) asked me if I or my neighbors had any trees. Oh, well they all have to be cut down. On large solar farms, it's even worse. You have to destroy the entire ecosystem with roads, insecticides, pesticides, and herbicides and make it basically a sterile, poisoned area where nothing can live anymore and it also creates a giant heat sink. Then you need to transport the energy and store. Bottom line, it is not cost efficient and it destroys the environment. Oil is still the best and it is natural and we have plenty of it. For alternatives, I like hydroelectric power. If we could place generating turbines in the Atlantic Gulfstream off Florida there's enough power for all of S. Florida forever. Why aren't they doing that? Greed!
America has huge swaths of viable solar energy generating space available. The rooftop of every flat-topped building is prime solar territory. That's not even taking into account dead space on the sides of buildings that could be filled with solar panels. And, far more efficient panels are available now than were available even 5 years ago, that increase power output while decreasing profile and weight.

Not to mention, they could also use green roofs, with soil and plants, to reduce heating/cooling costs as well as reduce ambient air temperatures, especially in large cities, where buildings increase the temperature by as much as 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Less maintenance than the tar and stone roofs, reduced energy costs, and reduced demand for energy for air conditioning for everyone around them.

And that doesn't even begin to touch LEED standards, and how few buildings even bother considering them, much less meeting or exceeding them, and how those standards could be even more stringent without a significant increase in up-front cost (but a considerable savings on the back end).

We've spent far too much money figuring out how not to be efficient, and avoid it at all costs. Why not figure out ways to be more efficient and get more out of every bit of energy we have available?

Since: Aug 07

United States

#95990 Jul 15, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
America has huge swaths of viable solar energy generating space available. The rooftop of every flat-topped building is prime solar territory. That's not even taking into account dead space on the sides of buildings that could be filled with solar panels. And, far more efficient panels are available now than were available even 5 years ago, that increase power output while decreasing profile and weight.
Me and my neighbors are not about to cut all our trees down and my Solar assessment by the Solarstore guy was last year and it's $55,000! I will never get my money back.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#95991 Jul 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you want to ridicule and wax crazy again. Goodbye.
Come off it. Speaking of waxing crazy:

"Solar is no good. You never get your return on investment. It kills the environment and it is terribly inefficient to store." You, today.

The only part of that with any truth was the storage difficulty. Pointing out this to you is not waxing crazy.

Neither is pointing out that oil is dirty, non-renewable, and causes geo-political instability.

My crack about the Rapture...well, I can't for the life of me understand the thought processes of some of these solar critics and oil champions, unless there is something like that going on - something like "well, 100 years from now does not matter...the end times are here".
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#95992 Jul 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you want to ridicule and wax crazy again. Goodbye.
I don't know if what they say here is just to have others fight with them on purpose or if they are truly that stupid, but I have a feeling that it's both.

Location hidden

#95993 Jul 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a completely different subject.
So you don't think a combination of direct water heating and photovoltaic electrical could ever be used on rooftop systems to dramatically reduce fossil fuel dependency?

I really cannot understand this "solar is no good" mantra.

Location hidden

#95994 Jul 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Me and my neighbors are not about to cut all our trees down and my Solar assessment by the Solarstore guy was last year and it's $55,000! I will never get my money back.
The first cars, computers, and even TV's cost a fortune compared to today. Cut ALL the trees down? Do you live in the middle of a forest?

United States

#95995 Jul 15, 2012
Turbines in the gulfstream I say. Steady 5 knots and it never stops. But photovoltaic cell solar is no good mainly because you need a clear view of the sun all day. That's the reality. Sure high buildings but if the building has 300 apartments the roof area is insignificant. Large solar panel farms destroy the habitat and the environment. These are just creating utopias pipe dreams. Only rich smug people that drive Prius cars can do it.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#95996 Jul 15, 2012
The main driver of America's housing fall, was due to regular homeowners acting as they were taught since school, although the gov backed scams contributed quite a lot.

However, I doubt any here will know how it was achieved.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#95997 Jul 15, 2012
Are solar cells able to withstand large hail storms? Can they withstand lightening strikes? How about fires? Earthquakes? Severe wind storms? Do people steal them? Trees fall on them?

How much does a persons insurance go up when these are installed?
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#95998 Jul 15, 2012
If solar cell tech is worth it, drive by your local politicians homes and see if they are on their houses.

Not necessarily the rich politicians homes, because they may do it just to create the illusion that they care and likely some contractor made it cheap or free, as a bribe.

Look at the lower level politicians homes.

United States

#95999 Jul 15, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The first cars, computers, and even TV's cost a fortune compared to today. Cut ALL the trees down? Do you live in the middle of a forest?
I have a 40 foot avocado tree on the right side, a 60 foot casaurina (australian pine) on the left, a 50 foot walnut tree in the front, and very tall palms all around. Oh, did I mention my massive royal poincetta tree in the front yard? These all would have to go. And even if I were willing to ax my own trees all my neighbors around me also have yards filled with trees that would also have to go in order for MY solar to work. It just ain't happening. And the birds and squirels wouldn't like it either.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#96000 Jul 15, 2012
Of course, if you do all the cost projections, tree cutting, the loss of cooling from tree cutting around and over the home, the added cooling costs to the home by air conditioning, the escalating costs of insurance and more, how long till the system breaks even, providing nothing goes wrong, what are the maintainence costs?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#96001 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
I think for myself,...

And doing a pretty crappy job of it.

Would you like to take a psychological test that rates one for paranoia?

Location hidden

#96002 Jul 15, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a 40 foot avocado tree on the right side, a 60 foot casaurina (australian pine) on the left, a 50 foot walnut tree in the front, and very tall palms all around. Oh, did I mention my massive royal poincetta tree in the front yard? These all would have to go. And even if I were willing to ax my own trees all my neighbors around me also have yards filled with trees that would also have to go in order for MY solar to work. It just ain't happening. And the birds and squirels wouldn't like it either.
Well, keep the lovely trees, they sound very nice. It still does not mean that a large solar array on a warehouse roof or a hectare of desert won't work, or is destructive. You trashed solar completely on a set of very conditional criticisms...then accused ME of exaggeration!
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#96003 Jul 15, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And doing a pretty crappy job of it.
Would you like to take a psychological test that rates one for paranoia?
Sure, but I'll likely read very paranoid. However, you are unable to prove what I claim is wrong.

Bring the test.:-)

Location hidden

#96004 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Of course, if you do all the cost projections, tree cutting, the loss of cooling from tree cutting around and over the home, the added cooling costs to the home by air conditioning, the escalating costs of insurance and more, how long till the system breaks even, providing nothing goes wrong, what are the maintainence costs?
The equation is very simple, as follows:

If Chimney, LG, Dude, Mike, Dogen, or Polymath or AG or Mugwump think its a good idea, Pet Whisperer thinks its a bad idea.

If Chimney, LG, Dude, Mike, Dogen, or Polymath or AG or Mugwump think its a bad idea, Pet Whisperer thinks its a good idea.

In brief, the inequality: Scientific View =/= PW View holds under all conceivable conditions.

And that is the dismal sum of Pet Whisperer Psychology, revealed.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#96005 Jul 15, 2012
By the way, if I chose, I could easily beat the test and seem without paranoia. Would you like me to do that first?
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#96006 Jul 15, 2012
I'll have to lie to beat the test, most likely.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#96007 Jul 15, 2012
So what do you want Dogen, for me to beat the test or not?

If I'm able to beat the test, does that mean I'm paranoid? Hahahahahahahaha
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#96008 Jul 15, 2012
You're a cut and paste parrot Dogen, you are unable to trap me, because you can't think for yourself, even if you did have a degree in psychology. You are like most all psychology grads that don't understand the living of psychology, because the schools obviously didn't teach you that.
In other words, you have been babied most of your life.
I've given you plenty of chances to speak to your supposed degree and all you do is run away.
Bring your test, I'll show how I recognize and beat the test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 3 hr shinningelectr0n 7,404
Outlook Express 6 - Address book failed to load 11 hr 13Olivar 2
News NASA is developing 3-D Camera that can take ima... 14 hr SpaceBlues 1
action replay codes for the new super mario bros. (Jan '08) Sat BurgerBoy127 927
News Encinitas weighs drone use at parks, beach Sat bodhi451 1
News New Horizons completed fly-by of Pluto Sat SpaceBlues 1
Nitrogen Powered Hybrid Automobile (Dec '11) Sat Walter Harold Marlin 271
More from around the web