Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96009 Jul 15, 2012
On the test, I'll explain what each question is designed to illicit-- if I can. At the least, I'll beat the test.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96010 Jul 15, 2012
I've beaten 4 lawyers at their own games. However 2 judges--held kangaroo courts over me, so it seems they got their payback.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#96011 Jul 15, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, but you are often invoking the "slippery slope" argument where you claim evolution or atheism leads to fascism or communism or extreme liberalism. I am glad you realise that is just bunkum rhetoric for dramatic effect, and its not really necessary to these discussions. I dislike extreme liberals too.
<quoted text>
I am no fan of in-your-face govt either.
<quoted text>
This concern while real is overblown. In fact your govt can borrow at virtually zero right now, look at treasury rates. And it should borrow in the short term to stimulate jobs and investment in infrastructure that is falling apart.
When the economy is booming, is when to run surpluses....exactly the OPPOSITE of what Bush did, which created the massive bubble in the first place. Deficits in recessions, surpluses in booms, each smoothing the boom / bust cycle. Running a deficit in a boom causes a bubble. Running a surplus and cutting spending in a recession makes the recession worse. Economics 101 - not left or right, just simple logic.
Longer term, spending has to be reigned in. Shorter term, its economic suicide. Like, jogging long term is good for your heart, except if you just had a triple bypass operation, when it will kill you.

Nice post. Few people see to understand basics of economics. The government needs to spend when no one else it and needs to save when everyone else is spending.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#96012 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
I've had enough of talking to morons. Home prices were forced artificially high, even though wages stagnated in 1996 for the middle class. They bankrupted the middle class, because the schools had pre- programmed them to be parrots, just like you. The home prices and rents remain bankrupt high, because they have a captive audience. The gov is helping the investor class. It seems our gov is intent on destroying America. While America is bankrupt and economically enslaving the middle class to this debt, it is driving stagnation for the middle class, to just food, clothing and shelter.
The 15 trillion and the destruction of homes, the middle class and artificially high prices in everything, must bring about America's demise and the one world gov they are trying to bring about.
The stock market is a huge tax on all that are not investors. They will keep demanding more and more profit, threatening congress with replacement, because congress made it so. You and they are too stupid to care. You and they will destroy us and that will bring the downfall of all other nations.
The debt must keep rising, because congress and it's bribers care only for their greed.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96013 Jul 15, 2012
Then bring the test you threatened me with. :-)
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96014 Jul 15, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no clue what you are talking about.
And yet, you are unable to refute any of my post. The best you have is---uh-uhh.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96015 Jul 15, 2012
You threatened me with a paranoia test, not knowing I would turn it around on you. I've kicked your azz countless times and still you don't learn.

Bring the test!!!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#96016 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but I'll likely read very paranoid. However, you are unable to prove what I claim is wrong.
Bring the test.:-)
http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_diso...

http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/city101b.pl

Pick one. The first is shorter, the second more accurate.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#96017 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Then bring the test you threatened me with.:-)

Threatened? I think you just flunked the test.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#96018 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
On the test, I'll explain what each question is designed to illicit-- if I can. At the least, I'll beat the test.

The longer test has f & k scales which factor into the score. Trying to beat it will likely make your score worse.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#96019 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
You threatened me with a paranoia test, not knowing I would turn it around on you. I've kicked your azz countless times and still you don't learn.
Bring the test!!!

Sorry, you have not once to memory ever won a single point with me. You are all talk.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96020 Jul 15, 2012
The school system refuses to teach the children psychology in classes, because the rich have to be able to manipulate and bully the working class all their lives. Most of the rich kids are taught by their parents the art of bullying, as well as how to manipulate the working class and pit them, one against the other, just as politicians and lawyers do.

So how much mental, physical and emotional bullying goes on in schools and why don't schools have classes in psychology from the first grade, to help children to cope with these things, that drive children to be crippled in any number of ways and to even kill themselves and kill other children?

I'll tell you why. The rich control and beat on children, not only with their children, but a fully corrupt and stupid school system, designed to create such.

Most of you here are severely damaged and you protect those that damaged you so badly.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96021 Jul 15, 2012
Ok, finally. The test follows. Since this is your test, you should take the test with me, right?

With each question, to prove we understand the psychology behind each question, we should each offer an assessment of each question, right?

I mean, how else can we both prove we understand psychology, right?

Are you in or out Dogen? Here's your chance to prove to all here that you are who you say you are.

I'll bet you fail to understand the psychology in the first 5 questions, at least one of the questions.

In other words, you will fail to recognize the full implications of at least one of the first 5 . After I prove that, you might understand what to look for.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#96022 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
The school system refuses to teach the children psychology in classes, because the rich have to be able to manipulate and bully the working class all their lives. Most of the rich kids are taught by their parents the art of bullying, as well as how to manipulate the working class and pit them, one against the other, just as politicians and lawyers do.
So how much mental, physical and emotional bullying goes on in schools and why don't schools have classes in psychology from the first grade, to help children to cope with these things, that drive children to be crippled in any number of ways and to even kill themselves and kill other children?
I'll tell you why. The rich control and beat on children, not only with their children, but a fully corrupt and stupid school system, designed to create such.
Most of you here are severely damaged and you protect those that damaged you so badly.
Wow.
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96023 Jul 15, 2012
Right here Dogen, one question at a time. I claim you will not understand the fullness of at least one of the first 5 questions, so to that end, we each agree to post our answers at the same time, do you agree?
What sex are you? Male
Female
Do you believe you have more difficulty with relationships than the average person your age? Yes
No
Do you have difficulty trusting people? Yes
No
Do you tend to avoid social relationships? Yes
No
Do you prefer to be alone rather than in the company of others? Yes
No
If you answered yes to the previous question, is it because you feel very anxious in social situations, or.. Yes
No
..because you are suspicious of their motives? Yes
No
Do you find yourself unaffected by praise or criticism? Yes
No
Do you see people who get taken advantage of as being weak and deserving of being used? Yes
No
Do you feel a yearning for acceptance among your peers? Yes
No
Do you have a difficult time relating to others? Yes
No
Do you believe you have special extrasensory abilities (ability to "sense" a person's presence, for example)? Yes
No
Do you often find that your emotions are inappropriate for a given situation? Yes
No
Are you plagued by suspicions that other people, including loved ones, may be doing things behind your back that will end up hurting you? Yes
No
Do others see you as being cold and distant? Yes
No
Do you tend to choose jobs that are below your skill level? Yes
No
Do you find it hard to concentrate on one thing for a long time? Yes
No
Is your appearance or behavior considered "eccentric" by other people? Yes
No
Have other people accused you of being cruel to animals or people? Yes
No
Do you take actions without thinking about the consequences? Yes
No
Do you sometimes profit at the expense of others, without being bothered by the pain or damage you may cause them? Yes
No
Do you consider your needs to be more important to you than the needs of others? Yes
No
Do your moods fluctuate a lot? Yes
No
Are you prone to bouts of anger? Yes
No
Do you often feel like people are saying negative things about you behind your back? Yes
No
Do you often see things in black and white terms? In other words, something either is or it isn't, with no gray area inbetween. Yes
No
Are you often uninterested in the feelings of others? Yes
No
When you are talking to someone, do they sometimes have difficulty following your train of thought? Yes
No
Are you quick to anger when your expectations are not met? Yes
No
Do you intentionally injure yourself, for instance by cutting yourself or taking too many pills? Yes
No
Do consider yourself having a strong love for approval and praise? Yes
No
Do other people accuse you of being manipulative? Yes
No
Have you had recurrent thoughts of suicide? Yes
No
If you answered yes to the previous question, do you tend to have these suicidal thoughts during and after a break-up with someone? Yes
No
Do you tend to be critical of loved ones, sometimes holding them to higher standards than you hold yourself to? Yes
No
Are you very afraid of being alone? Yes
No
Are you focused on order and perfection? Yes
No
Do you feel that you are depressed a lot? Yes
No
Do you always feel the need to have a story to tell? Yes
No
Have you ever been in jail or done something that you could be put in jail for? Yes
No
Do other people accuse you of being self-centered? Yes
No
Do you occasionally or often dress or act provocatively to gain attention? Yes
No
Do you have a big fear of rejection (of any kind, not just romantic)? Yes
No
Do you often second-guess yourself? Yes
No
Do you find yourself exaggerating your achievements to win the respect of others? Yes
No
Do you frequently alternate between feelings of high self-worth and self-disappointment? Yes
No
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96024 Jul 15, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
That's it? Would you care to play the defense or are you unable?
Mugwump

Northampton, UK

#96025 Jul 15, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The equation is very simple, as follows:
If Chimney, LG, Dude, Mike, Dogen, or Polymath or AG or Mugwump think its a good idea, Pet Whisperer thinks its a bad idea.
If Chimney, LG, Dude, Mike, Dogen, or Polymath or AG or Mugwump think its a bad idea, Pet Whisperer thinks its a good idea.
In brief, the inequality: Scientific View =/= PW View holds under all conceivable conditions.
And that is the dismal sum of Pet Whisperer Psychology, revealed.
You of course forget that Chimney,Dude,mike,Dogen,Polyma th,AG and myself are in fact the same person and using different screen names to confuse fruit loop.

No evidence of it of course, and a certain amount of paranoia and hypocrisy since Jim must be on his 5th interation , including impersonating yourself (or trying to, he is pretty easy to spot)- but in his delusional world WE are the dishonest ones

Go figure
Psychology

Ardsley, NY

#96026 Jul 15, 2012
What people made up the first continental congress, everyday workers or rich landowners, many of whom owned slaves?

It is the rich that have created class warfare, the workers and their children don't have the time or inclination.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#96027 Jul 15, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The equation is very simple, as follows:
If Chimney, LG, Dude, Mike, Dogen, or Polymath or AG or Mugwump think its a good idea, Pet Whisperer thinks its a bad idea.
If Chimney, LG, Dude, Mike, Dogen, or Polymath or AG or Mugwump think its a bad idea, Pet Whisperer thinks its a good idea.
In brief, the inequality: Scientific View =/= PW View holds under all conceivable conditions.
And that is the dismal sum of Pet Whisperer Psychology, revealed.
Excellent summation!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#96028 Jul 15, 2012
Psychology wrote:
I swear you are the biggest friggin crybaby on the planet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr thetruth 40,472
News Hacked emails show Democratic party hostility t... 1 hr spud 135
News Junk food-loving fathers raise their future dau... 3 hr Here is what I 2
Consumer Electronics Will Dominate the Biometri... 3 hr iritechinc 1
The bearing 5 hr Andybaby 1
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) 5 hr North Mountain 155
Wearing diapers makes people incotinent BEWARE (Dec '10) 14 hr Brenda 22
More from around the web