Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,193

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#95609 Jul 3, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Twice a day. You can't even get THAT right.
A digital clock that has ceased operating which also indicates the AM & PM will be correct only *once* per day.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#95610 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Company info? Are you serious? WTF?
About Fugro Robertson

Fugro Robertson is one of the world's leading geoscience companies providing services and products to the upstream oil and gas industry.

Founded in 1961, Fugro Robertson was, until 2001, a privately owned British company. The organisation is now part of the Fugro group of companies, with offices in 50 countries worldwide and headquarters in Leidschendam, Netherlands.

Fugro Robertson is well known and respected throughout the world as a result of its extensive experience in virtually every known and potential hydrocarbon province.

----------

Services

Employing a team of over 100 geoscientists, the Group offers a comprehensive and unique range of services.

Geological Data Analysis
Wellsite Services
Petroleum Training
Integrated Geology and Geophysics
Reservoir Engineering
Economics
Advisory Services

Yes, a company. Paid by major oil and gas companies on the basis of its accuracy and expertise in geological surveying.

So, should we listen to an accountant that claims the geologic column is a fantasy because its not consistent with his magic scrolls, or a well respected geo-science company that publishes 26 locations where the column can be found, and survives on the accuracy of its recommendations?

Not a difficult choice for anyone sane.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#95611 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
A digital clock that has ceased operating which also indicates the AM & PM will be correct only *once* per day.
I hadn't realized you were that good at tap-dancing!

;-)

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#95612 Jul 3, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't realized you were that good at tap-dancing!
;-)
Sometimes you get lucky!

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#95613 Jul 3, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
About Fugro Robertson
Fugro Robertson is one of the world's leading geoscience companies providing services and products to the upstream oil and gas industry.
Founded in 1961, Fugro Robertson was, until 2001, a privately owned British company. The organisation is now part of the Fugro group of companies, with offices in 50 countries worldwide and headquarters in Leidschendam, Netherlands.
Fugro Robertson is well known and respected throughout the world as a result of its extensive experience in virtually every known and potential hydrocarbon province.
----------
Services
Employing a team of over 100 geoscientists, the Group offers a comprehensive and unique range of services.
Geological Data Analysis
Wellsite Services
Petroleum Training
Integrated Geology and Geophysics
Reservoir Engineering
Economics
Advisory Services
Yes, a company. Paid by major oil and gas companies on the basis of its accuracy and expertise in geological surveying.
So, should we listen to an accountant that claims the geologic column is a fantasy because its not consistent with his magic scrolls, or a well respected geo-science company that publishes 26 locations where the column can be found, and survives on the accuracy of its recommendations?
Not a difficult choice for anyone sane.
Get out of here with that crap.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95614 Jul 3, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Twice a day. You can't even get THAT right.
24 hour clocks now matey - welcome to the 21st century

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#95615 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
A digital clock that has ceased operating which also indicates the AM & PM will be correct only *once* per day.
Yes, because that's how the saying originated. With digital am/pm clocks.

Are you ever just flat-out wrong about anything? Is there a single time in this entire discussion that you've admitted that anything you said was simply incorrect? Did you ever even admit that the curing process for concrete is exothermic? Were you wrong about that? I mean, maybe you did admit your error, but it's sure hard to recall. Just remind us all what it looks like when you type the words "I was wrong."

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#95616 Jul 3, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
24 hour clocks now matey - welcome to the 21st century
A blind squirrel still gets a tofu burger now and then.

There aren't nut-bearing trees around here, but there are lots of vegetarians, and the leftover tofu burgers go in the trash (nobody has lids on their cans), so the blind squirrels can smell the tofu and recognize it as food.

I didn't screw up a common saying.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#95617 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Get out of here with that crap.
Aren't you the same guy who thinks if a person starts a church, he can't possibly be guilty of tax evasion?

You aren't exactly the best person to determine what is and isn't valid evidence of anything.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#95618 Jul 3, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
About Fugro Robertson
Fugro Robertson is one of the world's leading geoscience companies providing services and products to the upstream oil and gas industry.
Founded in 1961, Fugro Robertson was, until 2001, a privately owned British company. The organisation is now part of the Fugro group of companies, with offices in 50 countries worldwide and headquarters in Leidschendam, Netherlands.
Fugro Robertson is well known and respected throughout the world as a result of its extensive experience in virtually every known and potential hydrocarbon province.
----------
Services
Employing a team of over 100 geoscientists, the Group offers a comprehensive and unique range of services.
Geological Data Analysis
Wellsite Services
Petroleum Training
Integrated Geology and Geophysics
Reservoir Engineering
Economics
Advisory Services
Yes, a company. Paid by major oil and gas companies on the basis of its accuracy and expertise in geological surveying.
So, should we listen to an accountant that claims the geologic column is a fantasy because its not consistent with his magic scrolls, or a well respected geo-science company that publishes 26 locations where the column can be found, and survives on the accuracy of its recommendations?
Not a difficult choice for anyone sane.
Well, you're clearly ignoring the fact that Urbs was also a meteorologist, and all the "independent study" he did into biology. Who needs education when you've got the internets and a Bible?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95619 Jul 3, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
A blind squirrel still gets a tofu burger now and then.
There aren't nut-bearing trees around here, but there are lots of vegetarians, and the leftover tofu burgers go in the trash (nobody has lids on their cans), so the blind squirrels can smell the tofu and recognize it as food.
I didn't screw up a common saying.
Seriously - you tried a tofu burger ? Bloody awful and I speak as a veggie.

On the broken clock - lets be honest on a list of 99 things UC gets wrong or ignores / dodges the evidence about - its a minor one.

Wonder how those breakthroughs / predictions based on YEC is going

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#95620 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but I expect to find the result of a year long violent flood and that's what it looks like. Why can't you accept that?

Have you ever sustained a trauma to the brain involving loss of consciousness?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#95621 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Major BS!

An obvious admission that you have been busted. Why not just come out with it?

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#95622 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
A digital clock that has ceased operating which also indicates the AM & PM will be correct only *once* per day.
Actually when Digitals stop working they tend not to show anything so they are never 'right'. Instead of silly rationalizations, just admit you messed up for a change.

Since: Aug 07

Sneads Ferry, NC

#95623 Jul 3, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because that's how the saying originated. With digital am/pm clocks.
Are you ever just flat-out wrong about anything? Is there a single time in this entire discussion that you've admitted that anything you said was simply incorrect? Did you ever even admit that the curing process for concrete is exothermic? Were you wrong about that? I mean, maybe you did admit your error, but it's sure hard to recall. Just remind us all what it looks like when you type the words "I was wrong."
I was wrong.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95624 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wrong.
Respect

Since: Aug 07

Sneads Ferry, NC

#95625 Jul 3, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously - you tried a tofu burger ? Bloody awful and I speak as a veggie.
On the broken clock - lets be honest on a list of 99 things UC gets wrong or ignores / dodges the evidence about - its a minor one.
Wonder how those breakthroughs / predictions based on YEC is going
A veggie? As if McCartney veggie? No eggs? No Milk? No fish?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95626 Jul 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
A veggie? As if McCartney veggie? No eggs? No Milk? No fish?
That would be vegan surely, in my case no meat or fish - milk would be to hard - I'm British remember - it's a legal requirement to drink tea at least 10 times a day
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#95627 Jul 3, 2012
A religitarded Christian won't even do that well.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
A digital clock that has ceased operating which also indicates the AM & PM will be correct only *once* per day.

Since: Aug 07

Sneads Ferry, NC

#95628 Jul 3, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be vegan surely, in my case no meat or fish - milk would be to hard - I'm British remember - it's a legal requirement to drink tea at least 10 times a day
OK, how about yogart, cheese, butter? What is the rule?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min Dogen 14,427
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 17 min Patriot AKA Bozo 28,057
The 'human' side of robots at electronics show 2 hr Viewer 2
Writer tied to Anonymous hackers sentenced to p... 12 hr marg 2
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 13 hr shinningelectr0n 5,960
Brainy robot predicts danger 14 hr Ted 1
NASA spacecraft almost to Pluto: Smile for the ... 17 hr z0neCrew 2
More from around the web