Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#95644 Jul 4, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Tried that once several years ago. No steaks? No problem. No chicken? No big deal. No pork? No sweat. But cheese burgers? No goddamn cheeseburgers??? A man can only take so much.
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/complete...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#95645 Jul 4, 2012
The Dude wrote:
Exactly!

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#95646 Jul 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
-Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
Why do Creationists always forget about the first line:

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Certainly shows less support for your idea of a God and more the context actually used by the framers of the Declaration. Deism, remember?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95647 Jul 4, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Tried that once several years ago. No steaks? No problem. No chicken? No big deal. No pork? No sweat. But cheese burgers? No goddamn cheeseburgers??? A man can only take so much.
Hah - you calling me lacking in testosterone ?

Actually reminds me of an Indian colleague who was with us for 6 months last year, got really into Cheeseburgers when he was over - said he couldn't get anything as nice back in Pune - we kinda pointed out why this might be (you know, the beef and everything) and he was initially adamant that 'no no - made from cheese'

We finally convinced him of the contents and politely suggested he may need to go cold turkey in light of his religious leanings ...... He basically smiled, said 'when in Rome' and chowed down.

Lovely bloke, best coder I've met for a while, generous , always got a round in .... No principles - top bloke.

He back in Pune now , apparently had to forgo his cheeseburgers but addicted to cold turkey (language barriers always an issue with offshoring :-)
LowellGuy

United States

#95648 Jul 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
Nobody cares. It was written to someone claiming their absolute power to rule was derived directly from God. Their only means of taking the high ground was to essentially early "God is on OUR side."

Meanwhile, what does the Constitution say about God? Is it NOTHING?
LowellGuy

United States

#95649 Jul 4, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Life without Five Guys? Just kill me.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95650 Jul 4, 2012
TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do Creationists always forget about the first line:
Hmmm, let's be honest creationists are so used to quote-mining it is second nature.

Legit way of making an argument according to UC - to everyone else - a dishonest misrepresentation ... Each to their own I guess

Since: Aug 07

United States

#95651 Jul 4, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll get to that when I tire of studying my neighbor's boobs.
Tell me about it. I got the real Girl From Ipanema right next door to me! When I see her I nearly faint!

United States

#95652 Jul 4, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Life without Five Guys? Just kill me.
Five Guys is awesome. And the fries. The spillover in the bag is enough for me.

United States

#95653 Jul 4, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody cares. It was written to someone claiming their absolute power to rule was derived directly from God. Their only means of taking the high ground was to essentially early "God is on OUR side."
Meanwhile, what does the Constitution say about God? Is it NOTHING?
How unAmerican of you.

United States

#95654 Jul 4, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
Happy 4th to all you Americans
Thank you Chimney! Happy you too, whatever you got going on over there!
LowellGuy

Haverhill, MA

#95655 Jul 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Five Guys is awesome. And the fries. The spillover in the bag is enough for me.
Preach.

I've got two words: fresh jalapenos.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#95656 Jul 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me about it. I got the real Girl From Ipanema right next door to me! When I see her I nearly faint!
Really? Despite the fact she's has a clothing store in Brazil, Helô Pinheiro, and is about 67 years old.

Burke, VA

#95657 Jul 5, 2012
TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Despite the fact she's has a clothing store in Brazil, Helô Pinheiro, and is about 67 years old.
&fe ature=related
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#95658 Jul 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
How unAmerican of you.
How un-American of **you**.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#95659 Jul 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Those rights didn't seem all that unalienable when Andrew Jackson signed the 'Indian Extermination Order'.

.....all men were endowed by their Creator six thousand years ago with certain very flexible unalienable rights......

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#95660 Jul 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
She says she's 36-24-36 and thirty-eight years old but I think she's subtracted a few from her age and her butt.

Burke, VA

#95661 Jul 5, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
She says she's 36-24-36 and thirty-eight years old but I think she's subtracted a few from her age and her butt.
Close enough man...now if I can only get the hang of this Bossa Nova rhythym, maybe I can serenade her over to me.

United States

#95662 Jul 7, 2012
Science thinks they may have confirmed the existence of the Higgs Boson, but why are they calling it the "God Particle"? Fine with me, because this is an extreme example of intelligent design and fine tuning.

http://creation.com/higgs-boson-god-particle

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#95663 Jul 7, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Close enough man...now if I can only get the hang of this Bossa Nova rhythym, maybe I can serenade her over to me.
It's possible. She might be attracted to a kindred spirit. You're both dumb as bricks. Hell, she thought she was doing me a favor by giving me a copy of Jimmy Swaggart's tome,'Great Men of the Old Testament'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Aura Mytha 35,463
How to transfer phone contacts to pc? 44 min AnnieChow 1
How to retrieve deleted notes without iTunes ba... (Apr '13) 48 min hiaugustsmith 44
How to Recover Deleted Voice Memos from iPhone... (Mar '13) 1 hr hiaugustsmith 14
How to recover deleted text messages on iphone ? 1 hr chanleen 2
News Global Warming is Caused by guess what (Sep '11) 8 hr litesong 58
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 11 hr Osmius 10,494
More from around the web