Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#95383 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I got it by the application of logic. In the future I will use the folloing mnemonic:
tits 'n' ass ==> gonococcus
I have newfound respect for you.

United States

#95384 Jun 28, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Know what? That you're Jim Ryan the Carpet Whisperer and resident forum crank? Everybody recognizes you Jimbo no matter how many sockpuppets your create.
You would have made a good detective or investigator.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#95385 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>If you want your kids baffled by everything but carburetors, send them to trade school. They'll still be baffled by carburetors but they'll at least know how to twiddle the screws.
Insulting my children just shows your age. It is illegal to send them to a trade school at that age.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#95386 Jun 28, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks but that one wasn't very hard.

United States

#95387 Jun 28, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
A Theory is the essence and pinnacle of the scientific method. To separate them is to commit vivasection.
Hey Dogen, ever had a course in biology or chemistry? Geology? Astronomy?

United States

#95388 Jun 28, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks but that one wasn't very hard.
Hey Mike, why don't you join DL and me on this Biology CLEP exam? It'll be fun! And we can all say we've got 6 credit hours in college biology! What do you say?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#95389 Jun 28, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
If you are going critique from a young earth creation perspective you need to remain consistent.
KABBOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

Yup, that was the industrial strength irony meter.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#95390 Jun 28, 2012
CAN_PsychStudent wrote:
I would hope we don't need to teach students how to use a debit card.
Indeed, that should be the LAST thing that should happen.

"Hey daddy, I just bought a HORSE!"

:-/
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#95391 Jun 28, 2012
Science cat wrote:
Oh boy, the morons are agreeing with themselves under different names, again and again, ad nausium.
Ah shaddap Jimbo.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#95392 Jun 28, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying you're the only one here who *didn't* recognize Jimbo?

Alto, GA

#95393 Jun 28, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dude, have you had any college biology?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95394 Jun 28, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I wasn't sure either - was waiting for some nonsense about how the universe is powered by a central gyroscope or something

Indianapolis, IN

#95395 Jun 28, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mike, why don't you join DL and me on this Biology CLEP exam? It'll be fun! And we can all say we've got 6 credit hours in college biology! What do you say?
The CRS is creeping in, Urb. We just had this discussion.

Indianapolis, IN

#95396 Jun 28, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I wasn't sure either - was waiting for some nonsense about how the universe is powered by a central gyroscope or something
HA! That would be Arrogant Brother.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#95397 Jun 28, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
HA! That would be Arrogant Brother.
Actually was thinking of jimbos theory (no, not that definition) of the universe as a perpetual motion machine - possibly a different thread.

But once he mentions tackstrips he is outed

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#95398 Jun 28, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
CLEP Biology Practice Test 2, Question 26.
A single DNA strand that has the sequence GATACCA would be complemented by a strand of DNA with which sequence?
A. GATACCA
B. CTATGGT
C. ACCATAG
D. CUAUCCU
E. UCCUAUC
F: GODDIDIT

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#95399 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you figure the next generation of Biologists will come from if you don't expose them to the subject? or Physicists? or Chemists? Just because you didn't continue INTO high school doesn't mean no one has.
FIFY

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#95400 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>
Might be more practical to teach high schoolers auto mechanics or how to use a debit card for those who will not become biologists or continuing on into the medical field. Teach them the scientific method of course. Theory will be irrelevant to the majority of them.
People who are ignorant of science try to force everyone else's kids to be ignorant of science. Why would we want to actively encourage that kind of foolishness?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#95401 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question. Do you think the majority of high school students who continue on into higher education will major in chemistry or engineering? Biology or business?
I'm not sure if you intentionally missed my point or not. Let me rephrase it more directly. Teaching theory within any high school course will probably not benefit the majority of HS graduates & that time would be better spent teaching them what they will actually benefit from.
This is why federally managed education is a problem. Not enough choice in the curriculum you would like your children to study.
The majority of students will not become historians, thus we shouldn't teach EVERYBODY history.

The majority of students will not become mathematicians, thus we shouldn't teach EVERYBODY geometry.

The majority of students will not become chemists, thus we shouldn't teach EVERYBODY chemistry.

The majority of students will not become authors, thus we shouldn't teach EVERYBODY proper grammar.

Yes, I do think your system is more useful to society.

Are you a Delta or an Epsilon?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#95402 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question. Do you think the majority of high school students who continue on into higher education will major in chemistry or engineering? Biology or business?
I'm not sure if you intentionally missed my point or not. Let me rephrase it more directly. Teaching theory within any high school course will probably not benefit the majority of HS graduates & that time would be better spent teaching them what they will actually benefit from.
This is why federally managed education is a problem. Not enough choice in the curriculum you would like your children to study.
Libertatem,let me ask you a question.

Are you a Southerner who uses school vouchers to send your children to religiously orientated schools that teach creationism and not evolution? Or are you one who just supports this practice?

Because if you are...you are part of the dumbing down of Americas children.

"Is our children learning?" as George W. Bush so famously asked. Well, no, they is not learning. America is not teaching its children stuff they need to know, and we are falling into the Republican elites trap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 16 min doug 6,617
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr MikeF 19,806
Free Rip DVD Movies to HTC One M9 Hima 9 hr Teddy_6 1
How to print text messages from android smart p... (Aug '14) 9 hr Beafftt 17
da dongle j2534 auto scan tool 10 hr shawnbem 1
News Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 13 hr Acolyte 28,239
How to recover deleted videos from digital camc... 15 hr Ashley 4
More from around the web