Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180300 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#94228 Jun 12, 2012
TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
Name of the Rose is an excellent book. The movie was OK, but the book was much better. I'll have to look at Island of the Day Before. I did read Foucault's Pendulum a couple of years ago and I enjoy how Eco takes you places apparently so effortlessly!
I tried Pendulum, but found it exceedingly tedious. Couldn't get more than 1/3 through it.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#94229 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
The Bible – 3.9 Billion Copies
The Bible still remains at the top as the most read book in the world.
The Bible is the account of God’s action in the world and his purpose with all creation. The writing of the Bible was accomplished over sixteen centuries and is a quite amazing collection of sixty six books containing the messages of God.
Quotations from the Works of Mao Tse-tung – 820 Million Copies
Read more in Book Talk
« Famous Irish Authors, Poets, and Playwrights
The Edge Chronicles »
The Quotations from the Works of Mao Tse-tung, or as it was commonly called, the ‘little red book’ of Mao Tse-tung, was a personal explanation to the people of China of the ideology of the Chinese Communist Party.
Harry Potter – 400 Million Copies
Harry Potter at 400 million is within a mere 10 year span of time. The Bible has had quite the head start. Let's see how many copies have been sold when HP is 1,000 years old.

Remind us, though...what does any of that have to do with proving the Bible is true? They say it was written by people inspired by God. Ok, it's easy to say that. I could just as easily say Rowling was inspired by God when she wrote the Harry Potter series. It's a meaningless claim because there is no way to prove or disprove it. I was inspired by God to take a dump this morning. Prove me wrong! As soon as "inspired by God" is demonstrable in ANY way, it will mean something. Until then, it's just code for "they wrote the stories I choose to believe in."

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#94230 Jun 12, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Estimates of the printing of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book reach as high as 6.5 billion though this claim is considered dubious.
Actually UC's claims are also dubious.

The Bible MIGHT be able to claim to be the most printed book, but there are little to no records to support that.

The Bible is frequently printed and the freely distributed, like Hotel rooms or free giveaways by some of the folks who tap on your door on Saturday mornings.

Of course there is no way to determine if people actually read the Bible. Some families have owned Bibles for years, but only open them to record familay events. They may never read it. Of course we have noticed many of the bible posters in here never actually read it, they just grab various quotes to attempt and make a point -- like UC.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#94231 Jun 12, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried Pendulum, but found it exceedingly tedious. Couldn't get more than 1/3 through it.
Well I was reading it as part of a group and sorta pushed through. It had some definite tedious parts, the ending left something to be desired, but overall I love how he paints history and slowly unveils it for the reader.

Since: Aug 07

Burke, VA

#94232 Jun 12, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Harry Potter at 400 million is within a mere 10 year span of time. The Bible has had quite the head start. Let's see how many copies have been sold when HP is 1,000 years old.
Remind us, though...what does any of that have to do with proving the Bible is true? They say it was written by people inspired by God. Ok, it's easy to say that. I could just as easily say Rowling was inspired by God when she wrote the Harry Potter series. It's a meaningless claim because there is no way to prove or disprove it. I was inspired by God to take a dump this morning. Prove me wrong! As soon as "inspired by God" is demonstrable in ANY way, it will mean something. Until then, it's just code for "they wrote the stories I choose to believe in."
So according to you, we should swear-in the next President of the United States with a Harry Potter book. In Harry Potter We Trust? Harry Potter Bless America? One Nation, under Harry Potter?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#94233 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So according to you, we should swear-in the next President of the United States with a Harry Potter book. In Harry Potter We Trust? Harry Potter Bless America? One Nation, under Harry Potter?
How about simply using a copy of the constitution?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#94234 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should any book be used to swear in anybody for any secular governmental purposes? Are they only honest about doing their duties and telling the truth in court and whatnot if they've got a hand on some book? If a Buddhist were to be elected president, should their hand be on a Bible?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#94235 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
One Nation Under Moroni?
The pet whisperer

United States

#94236 Jun 12, 2012
One nation under A fully bribed congress.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#94237 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
1. How many books are in the Bible?
The Bible contains 66 books, divided among the Old and New Testaments.
2. How many books are in the Old Testament?
There are 39 books in the Old Testament.
3. How many books are in the New Testament?
There are 27 books in the New Testament.
4. What does "testament" mean?
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
Moses (if he was real) probably did not write the Pentateuch. Many scholars think it was written on or about the Hebrew exile in Babylon. 600-400 BC

There are some major lies in Genesis and Exodus and Joshua.

About half of the letters attributed to Paul were probably written by someone else.

The Gospels were not written by the named authors, and there are some major discrepancies between them.

You write:
"4. What does "testament" mean?"

I think it means "to bear Witness" in this instance.

Tampa, FL

#94238 Jun 12, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Moses (if he was real) probably did not write the Pentateuch. Many scholars think it was written on or about the Hebrew exile in Babylon. 600-400 BC
There are some major lies in Genesis and Exodus and Joshua.
About half of the letters attributed to Paul were probably written by someone else.
The Gospels were not written by the named authors, and there are some major discrepancies between them.
You write:
"4. What does "testament" mean?"
I think it means "to bear Witness" in this instance.
So regardless of the millions of scholars over thousands of years who have dedicated their lives to the study of the Bible, you, a nobody darwinist with no qualifications and an axe to grind, declare them all wrong. Well I'm convinced.{sarcasm}

Tampa, FL

#94239 Jun 12, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should any book be used to swear in anybody for any secular governmental purposes? Are they only honest about doing their duties and telling the truth in court and whatnot if they've got a hand on some book? If a Buddhist were to be elected president, should their hand be on a Bible?
Because without God, we wouldn't have a free country would we? That's really what you want isn't it? A Godless society adrift at sea headed for self-destruction? Ruled by a dictator? Or let the radical Islam take over. Sharia Law? Public stonings. Or outright communism? From those according to their ability to those according to their need, right? You fools! God is the only reason this country is great. No other reason. That's right. Read the damn Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. Go to Washington and visit the Monumnets. God is the reason. Not Charles Darwin. Not Harry Potter. God.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#94240 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So regardless of the millions of scholars over thousands of years who have dedicated their lives to the study of the Bible, you, a nobody darwinist with no qualifications and an axe to grind, declare them all wrong. Well I'm convinced.{sarcasm}
Studying the stories in a book doesn't make the stories true, no matter how many people study them over however many years.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#94241 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because without God, we wouldn't have a free country would we? That's really what you want isn't it? A Godless society adrift at sea headed for self-destruction? Ruled by a dictator? Or let the radical Islam take over. Sharia Law? Public stonings. Or outright communism? From those according to their ability to those according to their need, right? You fools! God is the only reason this country is great. No other reason. That's right. Read the damn Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. Go to Washington and visit the Monumnets. God is the reason. Not Charles Darwin. Not Harry Potter. God.
Pretty inaccurate on many counts. The US was formed to flee religious persecution by people with such a varying degree of religious belief that the entire government was formed around secular humanism, not religion. There are many "godless" societies that are passing us in many aspects, the "happiest" country in the US is predominantly atheist.

I doubt you have read the constitution or bill of rights for the US, there is no mention of any god, and there are only three correlations to the biblical commandments, and then only ones in the old testament. Nothing reflecting the new testament.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#94242 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because without God, we wouldn't have a free country would we?
Why wouldn't we?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
That's really what you want isn't it? A Godless society adrift at sea headed for self-destruction?
Why do you think that's what would happen without religion?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Ruled by a dictator? Or let the radical Islam take over. Sharia Law? Public stonings. Or outright communism? From those according to their ability to those according to their need, right?
Oh, so it's RELIGION that prevents those things from taking over America. It's got nothing to do with the Constitution. Nah, religion does that for us.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
You fools! God is the only reason this country is great. No other reason. That's right.
Oh. Capitalism is a Bible-based system? Federalism is a Bible-based system? I don't recall either of those being bestowed upon us by some Jew wizard. Care to back up your nonsensical claims?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Read the damn Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. Go to Washington and visit the Monumnets. God is the reason. Not Charles Darwin. Not Harry Potter. God.
Oh. That's weird. I don't recall seeing Jesus, God, Bible, Heaven, Hell, or any other such words in the Constitution, which is the bedrock upon which our nation is founded. The declaration was written with religious undertones to undermine the king's claim that his right to rule was divinely relegated. Remind us where, in the Constitution, anything is attributed to God, or credited to Jesus, or how anything Bible-related enters into the Constitution aside from the right to practice religion, that Congress shall not establish religion, and that there shall be no religious test for any citizen to hold a public office or trust.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#94243 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So just to clarify, a belief in god is what makes the US 'great'?

Funnily enough 3 points you mentioned are also driven by a belief
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Or let the radical Islam take over. Sharia Law? Public stonings.
And what has ANY of this to do with evolution, if you want to promote your religious beliefs then feel free, but this is a science forum and you belief has nothing to do with evolution

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#94244 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
One other thing...are you really saying that swearing on a Bible prevents communism and Sharia law from taking over America?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#94245 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget slaves. Don't forget child labor. Don't forget sweatshops. Don't forget the rape of the environment. Don't forget unbridled capitalism.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#94246 Jun 12, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget slaves. Don't forget child labor. Don't forget sweatshops. Don't forget the rape of the environment. Don't forget unbridled capitalism.
Well, the Bible DOES specifically condone and regulate the practice of slavery.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#94247 Jun 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, god and religious persecution was the precise reason they established a secular government.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack and Michelle Obama sign Netflix deal to ... 17 min CodeTalker 217
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Prince of Darkness 94,416
News How to Get A Free Oculus Go VR Headset 20 hr Bill 2
News Cambridge Analytica firm at center of Facebook ... Sat judy 5
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) Fri VetnorsGate 16,043
News Real Estate Agents: Single-Family Homes a Hot R... (Jun '12) Fri Bivhab 261
Pass your Cisco 300-135 Exam by (Dumps4free.com... Thu herrypotter 1