Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#91420 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, the evidence here regarding languages also strongly supports creation and the Babel dispersion. The major different lanugages have no connection to each other; the fact that specific languages have been contracting and simplifying over time; the fact that written records began at the right time in history according to the Bible; The fact that there is no coorelation to how advanced societies are with respect to how complex the language is (Indian code talkers, etc.) Acutally, I need to jump on this because it is a very important aspect of creation evidence.
WOW! Either you are trying to be humorous or you've really gone 'round the bend. And you added linguists to your list of idiots.

Poe's Law comes to mind.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#91421 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Always at a cost. There is net loss.
Always? Can you offer evidence for "always"? Can you propose a possible mechanism?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
You have no mechanism for evolution to work.
The basic mechanism is for environmental factors to select existing variations. Didn't you know that?

Seffner, FL

#91422 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, the evidence here regarding languages also strongly supports creation and the Babel dispersion. The major different lanugages have no connection to each other; the fact that specific languages have been contracting and simplifying over time; the fact that written records began at the right time in history according to the Bible; The fact that there is no coorelation to how advanced societies are with respect to how complex the language is (Indian code talkers, etc.) Actually, it is a very important aspect of creation evidence.
http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/de...

Location hidden

#91423 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Also, the evidence here regarding languages also strongly supports creation and the Babel dispersion. The major different lanugages have no connection to each other; the fact that specific languages have been contracting and simplifying over time; the fact that written records began at the right time in history according to the Bible; The fact that there is no coorelation to how advanced societies are with respect to how complex the language is (Indian code talkers, etc.) Acutally, I need to jump on this because it is a very important aspect of creation evidence.
What do you consider the "major different languages". Some of them, I'm sure, can be shown to predate the Flood, which causes another big problem for your myth.

Since: Aug 07

Burke, VA

#91424 Apr 27, 2012
MikeF wrote:
Maybe later on after work after happy hour...

Burke, VA

#91425 Apr 27, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! Either you are trying to be humorous or you've really gone 'round the bend. And you added linguists to your list of idiots.
Poe's Law comes to mind.
Calm down. I am serious. The history of language supports the creation on many grounds.

Seffner, FL

#91426 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe later on after work after happy hour...
Yeah. Probably.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#91427 Apr 27, 2012
ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
Can you provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally?
You mean, like the dance that bees do in order to tell other bees where food sources are?

Burke, VA

#91428 Apr 27, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you consider the "major different languages". Some of them, I'm sure, can be shown to predate the Flood, which causes another big problem for your myth.
OK maybe you could argue a few years here and few years there but the earliest recorded history of language generally fits nicely within the biblical framework. Nothing close to what evolution and millions of years. Here again the evidence rests on the creation side of the ledger.

Burke, VA

#91429 Apr 27, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Probably.
I'm guessing you have to try to avoid alcohol because it makes you too mean?

Seffner, FL

#91430 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing you have to try to avoid alcohol because it makes you too mean?
Wrong as usual. But it does tend to screw up my guitar playing.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#91431 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
OK maybe you could argue a few years here and few years there but the earliest recorded history of language generally fits nicely within the biblical framework. Nothing close to what evolution and millions of years. Here again the evidence rests on the creation side of the ledger.
Perhaps you should "educate" the folks at Harvard:

"The deepest securely identifiable families are c. 6000-8000 years old."

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~jasanoff/p...

Fascinating subject.

Burke, VA

#91432 Apr 27, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that the earliest known written records are from the biblical period is strong corroborating evidence of creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language...

Conversely, it is devastating to the TOE! I'm Amped!

Seffner, FL

#91433 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try but these is no recorded history of language.

*Written* language might fit your timeframe but spoken language would have preceded that by many thousands of years. It appears that spoken language may have developed around the same time as more sophisticated tool making - for obvious reasons.

Burke, VA

#91434 Apr 27, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong as usual. But it does tend to screw up my guitar playing.
Yes. That happens to me to! Especially since I exclusively play fingerstyle. My brain just short-circuits after just a few beers. It really sucks. I guess you could just continue to bang on simple chords though.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#91435 Apr 27, 2012
Mind you, I'm sure you (UC) have just sported a woody thinking that Harvard has validated your claim that they have confirmed Biblical versions of the Tower of Babal, etc.

This is not what they're saying.

They would point at you, and laugh in your face.

Seffner, FL

#91436 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That happens to me to! Especially since I exclusively play fingerstyle. My brain just short-circuits after just a few beers. It really sucks. I guess you could just continue to bang on simple chords though.
The Who!

Seffner, FL

#91437 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that the earliest known written records are from the biblical period is strong corroborating evidence of creation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language...
Conversely, it is devastating to the TOE! I'm Amped!
Interesting that you peg written language as supporting a young earth yet will ignore all the other historical evidence that this is not a young earth.

What should we call this? Selective history?
The pet whisperer

United States

#91438 Apr 27, 2012
Goldust wrote:
<quoted text>Once the Gods seed is planted in the mind...its over. We need to hurry and develope a telepoter and let all the God freaks see that its a fantasy world. The primitive human mind is NOT programmed to comprehend the truth.Just go pray or something.
I argue science in the post you responded too. I argue science and or the lack of it. I can see you're an idiot, because you don't know the difference. Run along idiot, I hear your moma calling you.

Location hidden

#91439 Apr 27, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Seems like if people were using languages in other parts of the world during and immediately after the Flood, it require a reevaluation of the Flood Myth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min renee 34,864
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 4 hr SoE 10,452
How to recover deleted text messages from iphone? 5 hr TankyMaha 2
News Toyota piloting tour program with teachers 9 hr Real Work 1
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) 10 hr Earthling-1 2,394
[Fix] iPhone iPad iTunes Problems, Android iOS ... 10 hr Teddy_6 1
Transfer photos from iphone to pc 13 hr AnnieChow 1
More from around the web