Anti-depressants 'of little use'

Anti-depressants 'of little use'

There are 442 comments on the news.bbc.co.uk story from Feb 25, 2008, titled Anti-depressants 'of little use'. In it, news.bbc.co.uk reports that:

Anti-depressant prescription rates have soared New generation anti-depressants have little clinical benefit for most patients, research suggests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.bbc.co.uk.

First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#2 Feb 25, 2008
Just more crap for the drug companies and some doctors to pawn off on people. I'm not saying some people won't benefit from them, but they're becoming a crutch on society

“"In dog years, I'm dead."”

Since: Feb 08

Novato

#3 Feb 25, 2008
I read this in a new magazine called "duh"
been there

Ben Lomond, CA

#4 Feb 25, 2008
Bring our economy back to where people can afford to buy their own home and make a living wage just with hard work and dedication and that might "cure" a whole lot of depression. Two people very close to me experienced panic attacks, suicidal inclinations and brain surges. This was while weaning off of anti-depressants. Any drug whose side effect includes possible thoughts of suicide has no business on the market.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Feb 25, 2008
The problem is that anti-depressants are over prescribed.

Certain people (like me, my father, his father, etc) have a genetic chemical deficiency which the anti-depressants are meant to correct.

When I'm not on my pills, I don't get "despressed", I get mean.

When someone who doesn't have a chemical deficiency is feeling depressed it's because they actually have something to be depressed about (no job, wife left, etc).

A pill may get them out of a slump, but if they don't address the problem, they are just going to go right back to where they were when they started taking the pills.

As for suicide impulses - if someone's been on anti-depressants and starts to come off them but hasn't fixed the underlying problems, then of course they are going to go right back into it (if not worse).

It's not a side effect of the drug. It's a side effect of the depression.

If you used Gold Bond Powder for foot inch then wanted to commit suicide - that would be a side effect.

Wild Irish Rose2

“Love Is a Rose”

Oakland, CA

#6 Feb 26, 2008
They don't work. There are no quick fixes to life's problems and no pill can make you happy. It's hype and a scam by Big Pharma. Suck it up. Life is hard.

“Gray Wolf Club”

Since: Dec 07

Hog Thief Valley, Arkansas

#7 Feb 26, 2008
Wild Irish Rose2 wrote:
They don't work. There are no quick fixes to life's problems and no pill can make you happy. It's hype and a scam by Big Pharma. Suck it up. Life is hard.
I believe that. I was put on tricyclics when in my 20's and then the new stream lined types when prozac came out. They never did a thing for me. I have tried all but two of them that I know of, no real bad effects, but no good effects either.
I was reading where prozac is almost identical to benadryl chemistry wise. Snake oil and b.s. I would think about all of them.

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Feb 26, 2008
Wild Irish Rose2 wrote:
Ya! Just like diabetes! Suck it up! Produce more insulin! Wimp!
Wake Up

United States

#9 Feb 26, 2008
Nuggin wrote:
The problem is that anti-depressants are over prescribed.
Certain people (like me, my father, his father, etc) have a genetic chemical deficiency which the anti-depressants are meant to correct.
When I'm not on my pills, I don't get "despressed", I get mean.
When someone who doesn't have a chemical deficiency is feeling depressed it's because they actually have something to be depressed about (no job, wife left, etc).
A pill may get them out of a slump, but if they don't address the problem, they are just going to go right back to where they were when they started taking the pills.
As for suicide impulses - if someone's been on anti-depressants and starts to come off them but hasn't fixed the underlying problems, then of course they are going to go right back into it (if not worse).
It's not a side effect of the drug. It's a side effect of the depression.
If you used Gold Bond Powder for foot inch then wanted to commit suicide - that would be a side effect.
I agree with you no pill is going to fix your problems. The only thing they do is make you so numb and sleepy when you return to real life the same problems are steel there. Then I ask myself am I better off ?

“"In dog years, I'm dead."”

Novato

#10 Feb 26, 2008
len117 wrote:
<quoted text>
I
I was reading where prozac is almost identical to benadryl chemistry wise.
If that's true We should have a very happy allergy
season.

As for snake oil, well maybe in some or even most cases. It all depends on what drug.
Take Lithium for example. Some people have a chemical imbalance and need lithium to be able to function. With out it they have to be hospitalised.
this happens ocasionally to fireman if they go into a chemical fire with out proper protection.
This happened to a close friend of my dad's when I was young. He stopped taking lithium after a while.
He was found dead, naked , in a ditch on the side of the road.

Since: Jun 07

Indiana

#12 Feb 26, 2008
Forgot to add that a bill has been proposed two or three times in the Federal Government to outlaw school systems threatening to expell students if not put on medication. In all attempts, the bill has been put on hold...
Iron Ranger

Eden Prairie, MN

#13 Feb 26, 2008
been there wrote:
Bring our economy back to where people can afford to buy their own home and make a living wage just with hard work and dedication and that might "cure" a whole lot of depression. Two people very close to me experienced panic attacks, suicidal inclinations and brain surges. This was while weaning off of anti-depressants. Any drug whose side effect includes possible thoughts of suicide has no business on the market.
Agree with that. Living in this day and age is enough to make anybody crazy.
Raineer et al

Worms, Germany

#14 Feb 26, 2008
Your society is over-prescribed with medication.

Children in your schools are overly medicated. If your Johnny is dumm and stupid, it is blamed on some illness.

Medication is given to school boys to feminize them, to turn them practically into homosexuals.

When a kid goes on a rampage and kills dozens of children in a school, and later it is determined he was 'bullied' at one time by a single student, then his murderous acts are justified and he is medicated.

There are more murders in Los Angeles in one year than in entire Europe in the same period.

If you doubt any of this, just check the internet out and-or listen to the truth seekers, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage, etc. We here rely on these radio hosts, not on the news coming from CNN and other Amerikan outlets.
Iron Ranger

Eden Prairie, MN

#15 Feb 26, 2008
Raineer et al wrote:
Your society is over-prescribed with medication.
Children in your schools are overly medicated. If your Johnny is dumm and stupid, it is blamed on some illness.
Medication is given to school boys to feminize them, to turn them practically into homosexuals.
When a kid goes on a rampage and kills dozens of children in a school, and later it is determined he was 'bullied' at one time by a single student, then his murderous acts are justified and he is medicated.
There are more murders in Los Angeles in one year than in entire Europe in the same period.
If you doubt any of this, just check the internet out and-or listen to the truth seekers, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage, etc. We here rely on these radio hosts, not on the news coming from CNN and other Amerikan outlets.
How does that compare to the Iraq war daily killings? Any stats on that. It semes obvious that we kill more people each day.

“Follow the money!”

Dallas

#16 Feb 26, 2008
Difficult to objectively address, because of the inherant addictive properties of most anti-depressants. Remember the Prozac mind-altering nightmares? Frankly, reading this headline, my first thought was, "No shit, Dick Tracy."

No wonder people are depressed. Reality is the leading cause of insanity, and it takes everything one has to remain self-actualizing, including self-centered. Life is shocking. Look around us. Really shocking, if we're at all in reality.
popsicles

Falkirk, UK

#17 Feb 26, 2008
I see the scientologists are out in full force today!

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#18 Feb 26, 2008
Vets will sometimes recommend 1/2 a Benadryl to help pets while flying or in other stressful situations. It makes them sleepy and calm.

I'm attaching a link about people using it as an aid for coming off anti-depressant dependence.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drugs-treatme...

I'm also linking to some reputable info on St. John's wort regarding the studies done on it. It appears to effective in treating mild depression.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/stjohnswort/sjwat...

P.S. To Raineer et al: Yet all it takes is someone willing to make a difference. To lend a hand and do what they can to make the world a little better.

Our school systems are broken, our cities on the edge of anarchy should disaster happen and yet there is hope as long as people act to become part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

You should know how easily a country can be led down the wrong path for the sake of a better life. We are yet a young nation and may still find our way - certainly many here are putting effort into making this country a better place to live.

Just remember to look for facts in your news - not just opinion - it's not all as black and white as it's painted to be.
Mikey fan

Rossford, OH

#19 Feb 26, 2008
been there wrote:
AGREE...100% The "American dream" is the American nightmare..unless, you're a professional athlete...then, all the stuff you can afford to buy is given to you for free anyway!! Great country, give stuff to athletic idiots..those with an education can work 24/7 to pay the taxes for the rich and the athletes!

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#20 Feb 26, 2008
Correction: to *be* effective
Cabert

Crawfordsville, IN

#22 Feb 26, 2008
Mother's little helpers. We all have them. I prefer beer!

Keego Harbor, MI

#23 Feb 26, 2008
"Talking to Prozac"

Not a bad read. Anybody read it? Talks about the advent of psychotropics in the U.S.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min Subduction Zone 61,664
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 1 hr Stephanie Shipley 715
News Sea ice cover at both poles at lowest point of ... 2 hr nanoanomaly 10
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 7 hr nanoanomaly 13,611
Recover Deleted text Messages from iPhone with ... (Mar '14) Sun Natalie_33 25
News Early snow throwers made in Martinsburg Mar 25 Kim 1
News Vigil held for boy mauled by Pitbull in Murray ... Mar 25 Kill Pitt Bulls 1
More from around the web