Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 20 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#5176 Mar 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
States run Public Schools not the US Government.
Each school system decides on the school calendar.
Christianity is still in Public Schools.
Bible Clubs are legal
Prayers led by non instructional persons seem legal
Prayers before tests :-)
Holy Family Mangers on Public Land
drive atheists up the wall.
Atheists make fun of Christians and
Christians make fun of Atheists.
Keep the faith in atheism !
I don't really care if students self organize to have a prayer.

But it's a different story when teachers or principals or sports coaches, ya know - agents of the state, require students to have a prayer.

I'd bet your hollering would be much more vocal than mine if schools had an Imam to lead children in Islamic prayer.

Nehwon

#5177 Mar 15, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look back into a historical context, having Xmas day off is relatively new; not all that long ago, it was quite common for your typical working man to have to work 7 days, regardless of which day it was.
It took industrialization and unions to force manufacturer-owners to capitulate, and give workers time off.
Yep. Things we take for granted today, like a 40 hour week, time and a half above that, minimum wage, holidays and holiday pay, safe work environments, injured on the job compensation, child labor laws and so on weren't in place 100 years ago.

Company towns and company script to buy from the company store isn't quite ancient history.

That is the "golden age" that some politicians want to take us back to.

But God blesses those who are righteous. Prosperity gospel as Jesus taught. Those who are rich are super blessed and enter heaven in the express lane by the TSA checkpoint.

“"Watch the weather change..."”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#5178 Mar 15, 2013
Better question: Why are most Christians on a high horse, preaching 'God's will; yet their actions scream hypocrite?
Jimmy

London, UK

#5179 Mar 15, 2013
Cancer_Woman wrote:
Better question: Why are most Christians on a high horse, preaching 'God's will; yet their actions scream hypocrite?
When your beliefs are based on lies, it makes lying acceptable.
reffef

Pittsburgh, PA

#5180 Mar 15, 2013
http://youtube.com/watch... ÖÖ
Fun and Games
Lincoln

United States

#5181 Mar 15, 2013
Cancer_Woman wrote:
Q: What is so ironic about Atheists?
A: They are always talking about God.
Lincoln

United States

#5182 Mar 15, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't really care if students self organize to have a prayer.
But it's a different story when teachers or principals or sports coaches, ya know - agents of the state, require students to have a prayer.
I'd bet your hollering would be much more vocal than mine if schools had an Imam to lead children in Islamic prayer.
In Red State America Christianity may be introduced by teachers, sponsors and coaches.
As Dr, Martin Luther King Jr. defied laws that were wrong in 1958, so do his 2013 followers.
Blue State America may be more surprising as the same seems to take place.
Supreme Court 2013 is more conservative.
American teachers love to teach, what they are told by the state, not to teach.
Enjoy
Jimmy

London, UK

#5183 Mar 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
The irony is that you are non-atheist, talking about atheist talking about god.
Lincoln

United States

#5184 Mar 15, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
" Irony can be Ironic " :-)

Rumack: Elaine, you're a member of this crew. Can you face some unpleasant facts?
Elaine Dickinson: No.

Airplane

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5185 Mar 15, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Things we take for granted today, like a 40 hour week, time and a half above that, minimum wage, holidays and holiday pay, safe work environments, injured on the job compensation, child labor laws and so on weren't in place 100 years ago.
Company towns and company script to buy from the company store isn't quite ancient history.
That is the "golden age" that some politicians want to take us back to.
But God blesses those who are righteous. Prosperity gospel as Jesus taught. Those who are rich are super blessed and enter heaven in the express lane by the TSA checkpoint.
Yeah.

And all the while, the fail to see that the bible-fable of their hero (jesus) was a liberal hippy who promoted little-c communism....

.... LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5186 Mar 15, 2013
Cancer_Woman wrote:
Why indeed?

Well, I see it this way: their religion tells them that the Ultimate Creator has a close personal relationship with them.

That feeds their massive egos, to the point that they begin to believe that only THEY have their god's left nut in a vise...

... such that ONLY THEY can tell the world what their god's intentions are...

.... ego?

Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5187 Mar 15, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
When your beliefs are based on lies, it makes lying acceptable.
Yes, there's that.
Lincoln

United States

#5188 Mar 15, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Why indeed?Well, I see Yep.
NEW YORK ó When he visits the Church of Nativity in Bethlehem next week, US President Barack Obama will be looking to signal solidarity with the Middle Eastís Christian communities, the White House said on Thursday.

Many of the regionís Christian populations are embattled minorities, and Obamaís trip to the church, believed by many to be the site of Jesusí birth, is intended as a message to the regionís oft-persecuted Christian minority.

Location hidden

#5189 Mar 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Not this one ;)

Location hidden

#5190 Mar 15, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#5191 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>Q: What is so ironic about Atheists?
Replace "god" with "religion" and you won't be a liar.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5192 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
In Red State America Christianity may be introduced by teachers, sponsors and coaches.
As Dr, Martin Luther King Jr. defied laws that were wrong in 1958, so do his 2013 followers.
Enjoy
Red State, Blue State? I'm so glad they have come up with a simpler, color coded way to divide us.

Texas, USA

#5193 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
I avoid the subject like the plague. Of course, that's kinda what it is ... a plague and pox upon Mankind.

Texas, USA

#5194 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical atheists are fine people,
possibly don't get out much?
People are all pretty "fine" just about all the time. It's when you start categorizing and classifying them that things get dicey. Every one of us can be sliced up dozens of different ways. Different aspects taking differing priority depending upon social setting. Here, we Atheists have a chance to converse with you Normals, almost as if you were our equals. I'm afraid you have a few more rungs to climb on the old Evolutionary Ladder before you can make that claim there Mr Lincoln Log. No worries!! Mind the gap! LOL

Nehwon

#5195 Mar 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy
Five sentences, five different topics. Smells like a Gish Gallop.

Could you narrow your reply down to where teachers/principals/coaches should be allowed to force their students to endorse a flavor of religion?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Inspired You to be an Engineer? 33 min Better Than Ezra 68
Will You be Buying the iPhone 6? (Sep '14) 4 hr kadikoysukacagi 67
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Chimney1 18,851
How can I print out HTC phone text messages? 7 hr Lora_14 5
How to print text messages from android smart p... (Aug '14) 7 hr Lora_14 13
News Concord: Prosecutors decline to file charges in... (Oct '14) 15 hr Loquito yo 13
News How to recover lost data from iPhone, iPad and ... 21 hr MattW0430 3
More from around the web