Intelligent Design: Coming To A State Legislature Near You

May 7, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Religiously motivated strategies to oppose evolution in schools started out with efforts to ban the teaching of evolution. When that approach was struck down by the Supreme Court, Creationists took to arguing that 'Creation Science' was as scientifically legitimate as evolutionary biology, and therefore the two subjects should get equal space in the school curriculum.

Comments (Page 2,634)

Showing posts 52,661 - 52,680 of52,887
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
bluebird

Stuart, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

The relatively new science of chronobiology has uncovered some totally unexpected facts about living things, to include the most puzzling circaseptan or seven-day cycles experienced by many living things. Secular scientists find it difficult to explain how such a seven-day cyclical pattern would arise or evolve in living things by any natural means.

“At first it might seem that weekly rhythms developed in response to the seven day week by human culture years ago, this theory doesn’t hold once you realize that plants, insects, and animals other than humans also have weekly cycles. Biology, therefore, not culture, is probably at the source of our seven day week.”
Susan Perry/Jim Dawson, The Secrets Our Body Clocks Reveal, New York: Rawson Associates 1988
Campbell summarizes the findings of the world’s foremost authority on rhythms and the pioneer of the science of chronobiology
Franz Halberg proposes that body rhythms of about seven days, far from being passively driven by the social cycle of the calendar week, are innate, autonomous, and perhaps the reason why the calendar week arose in the first place… These circaseptan, or weekly, rhythms are one of the major surprises turned up by modern chronobiology. Fifteen years ago few scientists would have expected that seven day biological cycles would prove to be so widespread and so long established in the living world. They are of very ancient origin, appearing in primitive one-celled organisms, and are thought to be present even in bacteria, the simplest form of life now existing.”
Jeremy Campbell, Winston Churchill’s Afternoon Nap,(New York: Simon and Schuster, 1986)
Specific examples of circaseptan rhythms in humans include: Reject of organ transplants, immune response to infections, blood and urine chemicals, blood pressure, heartbeat, the common cold, coping hormones, and even one’s mood or general state of mind. There is also evidence of a circaseptan cycle other living things, such as the algae Acetabularia mediterranea that shows a seven-day growth cycle or Brazilian bees that observe a seventh-day “Sabbath” how do we explain innate circaseptan rhythms in “primitive” algae, rats, plants, bees and face flies? These forms of life have no calendar and can’t read the Torah (Link).

Again, given the historical reliability of “higher” biblical critics compared to the fact that the Bible’s claims about history have proven true time and again, combined with the internal evidence for circaseptan rhythms within ourselves and many if not all living things, is it really such a stretch to imagine that the Bible might be right yet again regarding the Creation Week and the Sabbath rest given to us by God from the very beginning of life on this planet?

Consider a situation where someone (the God of the Bible in this case) claimed to have created a given cyclical pattern of time specifically for our benefit (i.e.,“The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath – Mark 2:27). This is a testable claim. Given the truth of such a claim the implication is very direct and clear. Obviously, in such a situation one should actually expect to find some sort of biorhythm(s) that is tuned to this particular weekly pattern. One should also expect that if one did not follow God’s advice on following this pattern (given that God actually exists and is in fact our Maker), that one would be able to notice a physical difference in one’s general well being when in or out of line with God’s claimed ideal pattern for the weekly cycle. In other words, God has presented a testable hypothesis or claim to us that we can actually test in a scientific, potentially falsifiable, manner.

It’s like being told to use a particular fuel for your car for optimal performance – by the car’s designer. You can expect some sort of actual physical difference if you don’t use the particular type of fuel you were told to use by the car’s creator.

Just another piece to add to the puzzle…
bluebird

Stuart, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Whoops! Sorry I wrote the same thing twice.:(
Common Realty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

Its sad that Stephen Hawkings will never experience what a real alien encounter feels like.....outside, go outside Stephen!
The Dude

Ellesmere Port, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

bluebird wrote:
Whoops! Sorry I wrote the same thing twice.:(
Don't worry, neither of them had anything to do with that nasty stuff called science.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2012

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry, neither of them had anything to do with that nasty stuff called science.
But the circaseptan cycle does appear to be real science:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3...

While I did not actually read the entire article, I would suspect that the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America is reasonably described as a scientific journal.

It was only when he started trying to pin it on the actions of a God that he jumped the track and left reality behind...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2012

Judged:

bluebird wrote:
The relatively new science of chronobiology ...

... In other words, God has presented a testable hypothesis or claim to us that we can actually test in a scientific, potentially falsifiable, manner.
It’s like being told to use a particular fuel for your car for optimal performance – by the car’s designer. You can expect some sort of actual physical difference if you don’t use the particular type of fuel you were told to use by the car’s creator.
Just another piece to add to the puzzle…
Sigh. You should have read what you were cutting and pasting just a little more closely:
"Franz Halberg proposes that body rhythms of about seven days, far from being passively driven by the social cycle of the calendar week, are innate, autonomous, and perhaps the reason why the calendar week arose in the first place… "

So, if people have had hundreds of thousands of years to get used to a circaseptan cycle, it would make sense that they would eventually encode it into the edicts handed down from "on high".
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2012

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
But the circaseptan cycle does appear to be real science:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3...
While I did not actually read the entire article, I would suspect that the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America is reasonably described as a scientific journal.
It was only when he started trying to pin it on the actions of a God that he jumped the track and left reality behind...
I know, I was being lazy. Couldn't be bothered at the time making the effort you did for a fundie who just thinks Goddidit with magic. So kudos to you.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2012

bluebird wrote:
If this doesn't touch your heart:
http://youtu.be/Q6CK0Krm4rM
Not so much my heart. It does upset my stomach, though.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2012

Rucin wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm a prospective Mathematics major; but technically I'm undecided. Many things seem cool and boring at the same time.
How far along are you in math? There is a *major* shift in how mathematics is done at the upper undergraduate level. Instead of being calculation based, it becomes more proof oriented. Many math students have a tough time with this transition. Just saying.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2012

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, I was being lazy. Couldn't be bothered at the time making the effort you did for a fundie who just thinks Goddidit with magic. So kudos to you.
1) I am typing much of this sitting in my son's school library as he does his homework.

2) I am myself going to school, learning to be a teacher for children with "special" needs. Teaching fundies is good practice...

“Blood Type B - Attitude B +”

Since: Mar 08

Felton California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

My niece just posted a celestail body of somesort. Underneath it says, " A very old picture of me.". Love it.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

been there9 wrote:
My niece just posted a celestail body of somesort. Underneath it says, " A very old picture of me.". Love it.
Venus?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

Just so it is not Uranus...
;)

“Blood Type B - Attitude B +”

Since: Mar 08

Felton California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Venus?
More like a cluster of old stars, but Venus would fit her.

“I be me, and you are...”

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Wow

in a city...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Oh no Uranus'sa beast...someonewhat of a something rather think I recall Uranus can be a pain?

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

Since: Jul 07

San Diego, but now: The Woods

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2012

been there9 wrote:
That is awesome! I love it, too. <3

in a city...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2012

HI, I think I lost the site of my tracker for a bit...

in a city...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2012

TrilbyKat wrote:
<quoted text>
That is awesome! I love it, too. <3
Like your headline...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2012

Tinka wrote:
Oh no Uranus'sa beast...someonewhat of a something rather think I recall Uranus can be a pain?
Well it CAN be if you dont use.....wait, are we talking about the same thing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 52,661 - 52,680 of52,887
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Science / Technology Forum right now

Search the Science / Technology Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 1 hr Pokay 5,034
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 2 hr Kong_ 171,209
Love's opens Oklahoma travel stop 3 hr Regular Fuel Stop 1
Philips Unveil First 4K TV To Be Powered By Goo... 9 hr Techgeek 1
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone 4 w... (Sep '12) 9 hr Sophia 56
How to Transfer Contacts & SMS from Nokia to An... (Mar '13) 12 hr priscillabrian 3
How to recover deleted files on iPhone 5 iOS 6?... (Oct '12) 12 hr Sophia 43
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••