Ye Shiwen Wins Another Gold After Bea...

Ye Shiwen Wins Another Gold After Beating US's Great White Hope

Posted in the Shiwen Ye Forum

GO CHINA GO CHINA

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Aug 1, 2012
For Chinese Swimmer, Same Result
By ANDREW DAS
Published: July 31, 2012

LONDON — Another race, another record, another gold medal for Ye Shiwen. But the questions never change.
Enlarge This Image

Jed Jacobsohn for The New York Times
Ye Shiwen of China after winning the 200-meter individual medley.
Related

IHT Rendezvous: Debate Over Chinese Swimmer Turns Testy in Asia (August 1, 2012)
Ye, the 16-year-old swimmer from China who has set records in the pool at the London Games amid persistent questions about doping, broke the Olympic record in the 200-meter individual medley Tuesday night. In doing so, she added a second gold to the one she earned Saturday — in world-record time — in the 400 I.M.

Ye finished the race Tuesday in 2 minutes 7.57 seconds. As she had on Saturday, she won with a blistering final 50 meters, covering it more than a half-second faster than the silver medalist, Alicia Coutts of Australia, and nearly one and a half seconds ahead of Caitlin Leverenz of the United States, who won the bronze in 2:08.95.

But when nearly all the questions at Ye’s news conference focused on doping, the feisty teenager in her bubbled to the surface.

Were all the questions about doping taking the joy out of her Olympics?“I feel that it is a little unfair.” Is it difficult to ignore them?“I’m not that affected by the outside noise.” Has she ever doped?“Absolutely not.”

Ye has been tested after each of her wins and, to this point, has passed.

Told that a top Chinese antidoping official had said Tuesday that those who questioned Ye were “biased” against China, Ye seized the opening.

“I also feel that those people are biased,” she said.“I think that in other countries, other swimmers have won multiple golds and no one has said anything. How come people scrutinize me just because I have multiple medals?”

At one point, Leverenz used a question directed to her to come to Ye’s defense. She turned to Ye, who was seated next to her on the podium, and congratulated her, saying,“She’s had an awesome meet so far; winning two golds is a tremendous accomplishment.”

Asked if it was possible for a girl to outperform men, as Ye did when she swam her final 50 meters faster than the American gold medalist Ryan Lochte did Saturday, Leverenz added:“I think she’s proven that it is possible...” and a Chinese reporter began clapping loudly. Leverenz paused and smiled before resuming her answer.

“It’s easy for people to point fingers, and I think you could just as easily point fingers at any of the other amazing races that we’ve had,” she said, noting that Missy Franklin had won a gold medal in the second race of a difficult 21-minute double Monday night.

The questions, for Ye at least, may be over for now. She is not scheduled to swim again at the Games.
UNSPORTSMANLIKE US

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Aug 1, 2012
Wow, Uncle Sam is a whiny sore loser!
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Mackenzie, Canada

#3 Aug 1, 2012
yep its sad... whiny americans...

I think Phelps is juicing up...

but no one can say anything until that is proven...

Chinese should just go on record and accuse the American track team of doping...

since we know they are... just cant prove it..
beat your own record

Towson, MD

#4 Aug 1, 2012
She beat her own record by 5 seconds...this proved she has been using dope....
CHINESE ARE JUST SUPERIOR

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Aug 1, 2012
Phelps would've been in jail by now.

A-HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AAA!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shiwen Ye Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Column: What's up with China's swimming success? (Aug '12) Aug '12 PTown Funk 17
News Chinese swimmer, 16, stuns with fast time (Jul '12) Aug '12 Go Blue 41
News 2012 Summer Olympics (Aug '12) Aug '12 Wayne Smith 1
Ye Shiwen (Jul '12) Aug '12 CHINA SWEEPS ALL ... 10
16 Yr Old Chinese Girl Beats America's Great Wh... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Leonard 68 4
More from around the web