Roger Federer's Davis Cup Decision: Time For A Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010 Full story: Bleacher Report 9

Roger Federer's decision to miss the first tie of the 2010 Davis Cup may disappoint a lot of people, but it should surprise very few.

Read more
Sam

Tacoma, WA

#1 Jan 8, 2010
I am not surprised at all by his decision, judging by what he did last year. He is just a spoiled self centered jerk, who has no respect towards his supporter's feeling. I used to like him a lot until last year when he appeared at Sony Ericcson shortly after the Davis Cup. He claimed he is still bothered by the injury, therefore he did not want to risk playing Davis. However, when it is time for himself to make money and fame, he runs like a rabbit!!! I was disgusted by him! My wife bought me a calendar of tennis players. I have to cover this jerk's face because he is on the January calendar! He doesn't deserve respect and should not be regarded as a great athlete, though you can say he is a good tennis player.
Paul

London, UK

#3 Jan 11, 2010
Federer has played plenty of Davis Cup, but like all players, he can't play everything. He played against Italy in September, days after the US Open when he was visibly exhausted.If that's being a self-centred jerk then I think it says more about you than it does about Federer. Plenty of greats from the past, including Sampras and Agassi, were understandably selective about Davis Cup appearances. The problem is when you are from a small tennis nation like Switzerland or the UK there is more pressure for the top players to compete than with the stronger nations like Spain. Spain won the Davis Cup without Rafa in the final in 2008, but nobody complained because they were good enough without him. Federer is no different to any other top player: he plays when he can and doesn't when he can't. Murray gets criticised in the UK for not playing in Davis Cup because the next ranked player is about 2 million, so he carries even more pressure on his nation's shoulders than does Federer for Switzerland, who at least have Wawrinka and a couple of solid doubles players (Allegro and Chiudenelli). Do I blame Murray? Not really. As it stands the UK has a snowball's chance in hell of ever winning the Davis Cup. National pride is all very well, but realism and pragmatism have to prevail in a sport where careers are increasingly cut short by overplaying and injury. You need to put away the rose-tinted glasses and come back to the real world.
Paul

London, UK

#4 Jan 11, 2010
And btw: Andy Roddick has just announced he is not playing ANY Davis Cup in 2010 to avoid the risk of aggravating a knee injury. Nobody accuses HIM of being a self-centred jerk, because like Federer, he isn't. Both players are just thinking about not overplaying so as to avoid injury. Who can blame them?
Federal Express

Singapore

#5 Jan 11, 2010
Paul
That is by far the most sensible and objective comment i have read here in the forum.

On a separate note, it was great to see youngsters like Laura Robson playing for UK. I strongly believe that the National Tennis Associations of various countries should seriously relook at how they can groom and cultivate promising talent

Australia has been relying on Leyton Hewit for far too long.. He's a great guy but he can't be expected to do all the work...
Paul

London, UK

#7 Jan 12, 2010
Thank you Federal Express.
I too have been impressed by Laura Robson. From a UK perspective it is good that there should be another promising player so that not all the pressure is heaped on Murray's shoulders. It seems that Laura Robson is one of the few talented British young players whose career the LTA has managed not to ruin. It seems that countries like France and Spain have a good structure in place for spotting and grooming young talent. I'm not sure if the LTA casts its net wide enough.
Agreed about Hewitt. There is no more committed or combative player around, but one guy can't carry a whole team, especially as he is now getting older. I guess these things come in cycles: Australia used to have such a production line of talent; I'm not sure what the problem is there.

“Lost in these dreams”

Since: Jun 08

Finding all the missing pieces

#8 Jan 20, 2010
Paul wrote:
And btw: Andy Roddick has just announced he is not playing ANY Davis Cup in 2010 to avoid the risk of aggravating a knee injury. Nobody accuses HIM of being a self-centred jerk, because like Federer, he isn't. Both players are just thinking about not overplaying so as to avoid injury. Who can blame them?
Thank you Paul for your comment. It was very wells said and as Federal Express said quite sensible.

Not everyone understands the decisions of the players because they see them as more for entertainment than the true people they are. Tennis is their career and they have to make decisions just as anyone else as well as look out for their health. Hopefully your post will give them a little food for thought.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#9 Jan 27, 2010
Impromptu wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Paul for your comment. It was very wells said and as Federal Express said quite sensible.
Not everyone understands the decisions of the players because they see them as more for entertainment than the true people they are. Tennis is their career and they have to make decisions just as anyone else as well as look out for their health. Hopefully your post will give them a little food for thought.
Where was all this good will when the Williams sisters were skipping Fed Cup tournaments?
Paul

London, UK

#10 Jan 29, 2010
'Where was all this good will when the Williams sisters were skipping Fed Cup tournaments?'

People just like to moan for the sake of it. If we want all our top players to get injured, then they should make Davis Cup/Fed Cup compulsory for them and that might stop the moaning when it cuts their careers short.
kclo3

Kolkata, India

#11 Feb 2, 2010
hi!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rafael Nadal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Billie Jean King celebrates 40th ahead of 70th (Sep '13) Sep '13 jamba 1
News Del Potro Dumps Murray, Gets Djokovic; Can Berd... (Mar '13) Mar '13 elaine 1
News 5 Reasons We've Seen Roger Federer's Last Grand... (Mar '13) Mar '13 chiromah Nigeria 1
News Novak Djokovic: Is He Capable of Winning All Fo... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Paul 2
News Nation & world: Nadal's return delayed; Andruw ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Maryam Wagani 2
News Rafael Nadal: What Can We Expect from the Spani... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Melinda de los Reyes 1
News Nadal will bet better than ever - Ferrer (Sep '12) Oct '12 sheila 2
More from around the web