We weren't interested ... until they ...

We weren't interested ... until they started

There are 25 comments on the www.times-news.com story from Aug 13, 2008, titled We weren't interested ... until they started. In it, www.times-news.com reports that:

Nobody was going to watch the Summer Olympics, yet five days into the Games everybody is talking about them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.times-news.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Shenzhen, China

#3 Aug 13, 2008
But so far China is kicking your ass as we are on top of the gold medals and it is estimated by one of your economists that we will end up the first when the games finish.
Do not envy our standing up in the world stadium, ok? We will keep on striving and prospering. What you guys are having? skyrocketing oil prices or try to scrap for the oils that some other countries are having?
We are friendly, but it does not mean we are ok with anything you said about us.

Since: Jun 08

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#4 Aug 14, 2008
no use to kick USA's butt as they are already whining of the international judges being bias and all sorts of excuses and that china is cheating blah blah blah. hahaha, they are such sporting people.
it is only fair when their highly trained, well paid NBA or Baseball or Softball players kick the butt of some poor 3rd world country.

fairness to USA is use stealth bombers to bomb stone age civilians. lol.
pninenorthones

United States

#5 Aug 15, 2008
You say you don't Whine? Oh but your good liars and cheats! Look at your opening with 2 big lies and the Girl who is ineligable at 13, yeah go ahead and make sport Oh yeah I quess the only way you can is run over your citizens with tanks!
Rafa

El Paso, TX

#7 Aug 15, 2008
the scoring in the womens AA competition was so ridiculous even the the toddlers on the chinese team wanted to cut their wrists. towards the end of the comp after the main judge spoke with the judges they seemed to straighten out.. other then that, the judging has been bad, but not unfair. and medals are where they belong.. unless of course you disagree with the chinese team still wearing diapers.

Shenzhen, China

#8 Aug 20, 2008
MileyCyrus wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I can speak out against my government without fearing for my life.
Hey, we have overwhelming human rights based on the colletive prosperity of the whole country. We do not need to speak anything against our country, since it is doing pretty well than Uncle Sam does. No one is perfect, even a country so large like us. I won't avoid to say that there is nothing in our country is unjustable. Our government is trying to tackle all problems for her people. We do not need to trespass upon other's territory to grab anything like Sam does. Go on speak against Uncle Sam, see whether the oil price will go down or not...
Blank

Renton, WA

#9 Aug 20, 2008
I was interested in seeing it from the start.
TeamChina

Woodbridge, VA

#10 Aug 20, 2008
china is kicking everybody's ass, especially the USA's with the gold medal count almost twice as much.
SoooWhat

Brookfield, WI

#11 Aug 20, 2008
Actually, the international judges *are* biased in favor of the Chinese. When an American girl and Chinese girl had the exact same scores in a gymnastics event, the judges awarded the gold to the Chinese girl, even though her score was exactly the same as the American girl.
TeamChina

Woodbridge, VA

#12 Aug 20, 2008
SoooWhat wrote:
Actually, the international judges *are* biased in favor of the Chinese. When an American girl and Chinese girl had the exact same scores in a gymnastics event, the judges awarded the gold to the Chinese girl, even though her score was exactly the same as the American girl.
YOU HAVE IT WRONG,
since they nastia and the chinese gymnast tied, they went to the subscores and whoever had the higher subscore won. it happened to be the chinese gymnast.

know your stuff before you accuse
SoooWhat

Brookfield, WI

#13 Aug 20, 2008
TeamChina wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU HAVE IT WRONG,
since they nastia and the chinese gymnast tied, they went to the subscores and whoever had the higher subscore won. it happened to be the chinese gymnast.
know your stuff before you accuse
It has also been observed that Nastia had a smoother landing than He and fewer visible mistakes...still none of this matters now...it will only matter in a few years, after He admits her true age...just as another Chinese gymnast admitted that her age had been changed a few years ago.
SoooWhat

Brookfield, WI

#14 Aug 20, 2008
TeamChina wrote:
china is kicking everybody's ass, especially the USA's with the gold medal count almost twice as much.
China has 1.3 billion people. The United States has 325 million. They have a much bigger talent pool from which to pick and choose athletes to groom for international competition. It's interesting that TeamChina is posting from Washington state. Please return to your own country soon.
TeamChina

Woodbridge, VA

#15 Aug 20, 2008
SoooWhat wrote:
<quoted text>
China has 1.3 billion people. The United States has 325 million. They have a much bigger talent pool from which to pick and choose athletes to groom for international competition. It's interesting that TeamChina is posting from Washington state. Please return to your own country soon.
I WISH. i am chinese.
and even though there are many people to choose from, USA has been playing sports for much longer than the Chinese have. the chinese are fairly new to playing some of the sports americans have been for a long time.

and have you ever heard of asian-americans? yeah, i am one. and want to live there. i should have been born there.
TeamChina

Woodbridge, VA

#16 Aug 20, 2008
SoooWhat wrote:
<quoted text>
It has also been observed that Nastia had a smoother landing than He and fewer visible mistakes...still none of this matters now...it will only matter in a few years, after He admits her true age...just as another Chinese gymnast admitted that her age had been changed a few years ago.
their birth certificates state that they are of age.
just because they look young, people like you shouldnt be jumping to conclusion, especially since the chinese are winning.
i didnt hear much complaint before the chinese were starting to win gold in gymnastics.

Location hidden

#17 Aug 21, 2008
MileyCyrus wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I can speak out against my government without fearing for my life.
You do not know China at all .In china ,especially in Beijing ,people often discuss political issues in public,and you can also find reports about corruption or some others bad things through local public media ,and media` intervention is also called by government,in many provinces,authorities have established channels to hear from the public.In the past ten years,we did feel sincerity of government to make our nation stronger and stronger and we are satisfied with it as a whole. We can not deny there are still something needed to improve in china,but everywhere is same ,do you think everything is OK in US? So stop misunderstanding China and not only learn China from your school`s books that maybe describe you a country 80 years ago or not only from your media that is definitely a tool for the government .
Mike

Pinellas Park, FL

#18 Aug 21, 2008
@SoooWhat

It looks as if you need to get the facts straight about how the scoring works.

First of all if two athletes tie in gymnastics, the two lowest scores are dropped. Since Kexin and Liukin tied again by coincidence, you take the next pair of scores and drop them. Kexin was thus legitimately ahead of Liukin because she had a higher score by just one tenth of a point.
Mike

Pinellas Park, FL

#19 Aug 21, 2008
@SoooWhat

When you insulted the person from Washington State, you forget that everyone from the United States is an immigrant. You may have been born in the US but in truth your ancestors came here as millions have. You are no different from anyone else here in the US.
America Loser

Malaysia

#20 Aug 21, 2008
@ Mike

You are the only one that i see here not favouring any side =), i kind of like your attitude. You clearly know the scoring system and did not whine like they do before knowing the truth of the scoring system.. Sigh on them..
Kate

Seoul, Korea

#21 Aug 21, 2008
tommychin wrote:
But so far China is kicking your ass as we are on top of the gold medals and it is estimated by one of your economists that we will end up the first when the games finish.
Do not envy our standing up in the world stadium, ok? We will keep on striving and prospering. What you guys are having? skyrocketing oil prices or try to scrap for the oils that some other countries are having?
We are friendly, but it does not mean we are ok with anything you said about us.
With all the unfair chinese judges tt's so obvious that chinese are winning. Before learning sports, Chinese should learn manners to respect other audience from different nations. They were throwing trashes to Koreans during the game just because we were cheering our team instead of CHINA. We're same asians but they treat us like shit!
Kate

Seoul, Korea

#22 Aug 21, 2008
SoooWhat wrote:
<quoted text>
And we Koreans have 49millions and in the 7th place in this olympic. If we had 1.3billion we'll kick your ass..
Highroad

Philadelphia, PA

#23 Aug 21, 2008
One could insist that it would be fair to suggest all American posters and others with manners sway away from these flame bait posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Gymnastics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Larry Nassar has been sentenced to 40 to 175 ye... Feb 8 ThisPharts 4
News Houston to host 2012 Junior Olympics (Nov '08) Jan '18 HAPPY FART 3
News Acton's Sandro, Oehrlein of Georgetown earn med... (Mar '17) Mar '17 GymnasticsPhart 2
Diversity is White Genocide (Nov '16) Nov '16 68709klgm 1
News Russian hackers have been condemned after gaini... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Jelly Belly Popcorn 1
News A bizarre rule will keep reigning US gold-medal... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Don j 5
News U.S. gymnastics: Who will be the final five? (Jul '16) Jul '16 Life Is Good 1
More from around the web