Zanetti pulls off big upset in still rings final

There are 18 comments on the Aug 6, 2012, Log Cabin Democrat story titled Zanetti pulls off big upset in still rings final. In it, Log Cabin Democrat reports that:

It was Brazil's first medal in artistic gymnastics, and a gold at that. Not a bad way to kick off the party for the Rio de Janeiro Games.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Log Cabin Democrat.

LC Vieira

Hamburg, NY

#1 Aug 6, 2012
The 'King of the Rings' conceded with grace:

Sportsmanship Award

What grace
in bowing out
from 
that sure thing,
the hype
and 
expectations - 
you, 
standing tall,
no Gold again 
around your neck
to hold you
back
from 
rising 
to applaud
the next 
in line,
and humbly win
the fans -
'lord of the rings',
with more
than fancy
Silver
and a 
smile.

LC Vieira
August 6, 2012
FresonFromChina

Nanjing, China

#2 Aug 6, 2012
LC Vieira wrote:
The 'King of the Rings' conceded with grace:
Sportsmanship Award
What grace
in bowing out
from 
that sure thing,
the hype
and 
expectations - 
you, 
standing tall,
no Gold again 
around your neck
to hold you
back
from 
rising 
to applaud
the next 
in line,
and humbly win
the fans -
'lord of the rings',
with more
than fancy
Silver
and a 
smile.
LC Vieira
August 6, 2012
THX for understanding Chen Yibing, who faces the worst Olympics in history!
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#3 Aug 6, 2012
LC Vieira wrote:
The 'King of the Rings' conceded with grace:
Sportsmanship Award
What grace
in bowing out
from 
that sure thing,
the hype
and 
expectations - 
you, 
standing tall,
no Gold again 
around your neck
to hold you
back
from 
rising 
to applaud
the next 
in line,
and humbly win
the fans -
'lord of the rings',
with more
than fancy
Silver
and a 
smile.
LC Vieira
August 6, 2012
A sportsmanship award is something the Americans will NEVER win!!!!!!
Skorchie

Blue Springs, MO

#4 Aug 7, 2012
Neither would the Canadians, too many excuses, oh wait, they didn't even have a team in gymnastics, must not have had time to figure out how to cover up their doping so just decided to let that event go.

What's Italain btw? I know what Italian is, but never heard of an Italain...
Italain Stallion

Ottawa, Canada

#5 Aug 7, 2012
Skorchie wrote:
Neither would the Canadians, too many excuses, oh wait, they didn't even have a team in gymnastics, must not have had time to figure out how to cover up their doping so just decided to let that event go.
What's Italain btw? I know what Italian is, but never heard of an Italain...
Hey it's the moron again. I know I spelled Italian wrong but couldn't change it you idiot. Canadians have Ben Johnson as their only cheat who was actually born in Jamaica I believe. I won't list all the Americans who have been caught for doping. I don't have a couple of hours just for the track athletes alone.
Skorchie

Blue Springs, MO

#6 Aug 7, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey it's the moron again. I know I spelled Italian wrong but couldn't change it you idiot. Canadians have Ben Johnson as their only cheat who was actually born in Jamaica I believe. I won't list all the Americans who have been caught for doping. I don't have a couple of hours just for the track athletes alone.
Hey, it's the racist Canadian child again. I'm sorry you can't spell, maybe you should've went to an American school where they teach that kind of stuff. The only reason more Canadians aren't caught is because they're too good at hiding it. They must have hundreds of scientists up there working on ways to beat the tests.
Italain Stallion

Ottawa, Canada

#7 Aug 7, 2012
Skorchie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, it's the racist Canadian child again. I'm sorry you can't spell, maybe you should've went to an American school where they teach that kind of stuff. The only reason more Canadians aren't caught is because they're too good at hiding it. They must have hundreds of scientists up there working on ways to beat the tests.
I guess Mr. Perfect doesn't make spelling mistakes. By the way nice grammar loser. "Should've went". I believe it is should have gone. It's funny you say that about Canadians good at masking. I think the whole world outside of American knows America is the doping capital of the world. Everyone knows Phelps is the biggest doper of them all. Wouldn't step foot in an American school if my life depended on it. By the way ever heard of Carl Lewis, Flo Jo, Marion Jones etc. etc. who got caught doping. Even the guy for the US team in the 400M who just came off a 21 month doping ban then pulled a hamstring in the preliminary round. You have to love karma!!!!!!!!
Skorchie

Blue Springs, MO

#8 Aug 7, 2012
I really don't care who and who isn't using PED's, they'll be caught if they are eventually. Or are you unaware that they keep samples for years to test later when new, more effective testing is available? I'm just trying to be cool like you, and make baseless accusations with zero proof, while bashing an entire country based on a handful of interactions or experiences I've had with them. I mean, you do it, so why can't I?

As for the ones who were caught, they served their suspensions, gave up their medals, or whatever punishment was deemed correct, and have moved on. Talking about Mr. Perfect, I assume you've never made a mistake or had bad judgement, then learned from it, and moved on? Or, is it that it's just impossible for Americans to do that?
Italain Stallion

Ottawa, Canada

#9 Aug 7, 2012
Skorchie wrote:
I really don't care who and who isn't using PED's, they'll be caught if they are eventually. Or are you unaware that they keep samples for years to test later when new, more effective testing is available? I'm just trying to be cool like you, and make baseless accusations with zero proof, while bashing an entire country based on a handful of interactions or experiences I've had with them. I mean, you do it, so why can't I?
As for the ones who were caught, they served their suspensions, gave up their medals, or whatever punishment was deemed correct, and have moved on. Talking about Mr. Perfect, I assume you've never made a mistake or had bad judgement, then learned from it, and moved on? Or, is it that it's just impossible for Americans to do that?
I have made lots of mistakes in my life. I just can't stand cheaters. I played sports most of my life and did very well thank you very much. Won lots of awards, always won graciously and lost graciously as well. If the American women had any class, they would have declined the free kick from the Norwegian ref that helped them win the soccer game. They are obviously the better team head to head. Too bad they needed help to win yesterday.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#10 Aug 7, 2012
Yeah, because your team would have declined the penalty had it been the other way around? You're absolutely delusional if you believe that.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#11 Aug 7, 2012
We are talking about the same sport, soccer, right? That sport where any time someone barely bumps or touches someone they throw themselves on the ground rolling around in pain, only to get up and run around with no injury, or raising their hands in the air questioning a non-call every other play? The sport where they actually have a penalty, and give a yellow card to people for faking an injury? The one where everyone is looking for any little advantage they can possibly get from the refs? Like I said, delusional if you think every single team out there wouldn't, or hasn't done the exact same thing.
Italain Stallion

Ottawa, Canada

#12 Aug 8, 2012
Skorchie wrote:
We are talking about the same sport, soccer, right? That sport where any time someone barely bumps or touches someone they throw themselves on the ground rolling around in pain, only to get up and run around with no injury, or raising their hands in the air questioning a non-call every other play? The sport where they actually have a penalty, and give a yellow card to people for faking an injury? The one where everyone is looking for any little advantage they can possibly get from the refs? Like I said, delusional if you think every single team out there wouldn't, or hasn't done the exact same thing.
We obviously don't see eye to eye on anything so let's just leave it at that. I am not going to waste any more time jostling back and forth with you. By the way, you are correct that the men's game unfortunately features lots of diving, however, that was not the case in this game or women's soccer in general. Have a nice life.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#13 Aug 8, 2012
Dude, we can see eye to eye on things, but I refuse to agree with you constantly bashing Americans. But yeah, we can leave it at that, have a nice life, full of hatred.
Anonymous

Ottawa, Canada

#14 Aug 8, 2012
Skorchie wrote:
Dude, we can see eye to eye on things, but I refuse to agree with you constantly bashing Americans. But yeah, we can leave it at that, have a nice life, full of hatred.
I don't hate anyone. I simply don't approve of the way many American athletes carry themselves and think they are far superior to everyone else. The commentators on NBC have shown so much bias towards American athletes it has been a real turn off as well. The only decent one they have is Ato Boldan who is covering the track and field. The rest should be fired.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#15 Aug 8, 2012
First, do me a favor, and really read what I'm saying here. Seriously, I'm just trying to point out some things you may not realize you're doing.

So what you're saying is, you've been calling "most" Americans stupid, and arrogant, among other things, all because you dislike the American commentators from an American TV channel? Why do you care how American athletes "carry themselves"? That doesn't directly effect your life does it? Wambauch being the way she is, takes food or money from your family? Phelps possibly doping costs you your job or something? I get that you don't like cheaters, I don't either, but like I said elsewhere, they'll get their punishment when and if it's proven they cheated, I can live with that, why can't you?

I don't approve of your women's soccer team publicly calling out a ref after a game due to questionable calls, when they could have simply made a formal complaint, and had it reviewed. Instead, because of their unsportsmanlike conduct, THEY'RE being investigated, and may even be fined for their antics. Does that mean I should bash all, or most Canadians like you have done to Americans? I'm not saying you can't be upset about the results, but calling people that had nothing to do with it names, and accusing most of my country of being the same way you perceive our athletes to be, just displays that you are as bad as you claim we are.

Like I said, I'm not going to support or agree with anyone that bashes the country I was born in, just like you would stand up for yours if someone said the same things about your homeland. If an American gets caught doping, they're cheaters, and deserve whatever they get, if it's a Chinese athlete, or a Canadian, or whoever, I feel the exact same way, they deserve what they get. No need to single out and dwell on 1 country, when over the history of the Olympics, just about every country has been caught cheating/doping at some point. See, we see eye to eye here, cheating is bad for ANYONE.

All I'm asking is you stop with the constant bashing of the American people. Dislike our athletes, or our government, that's fine (because I'd likely agree with you on most of it), but you've grouped most of us into something we are not. Did you know that I've spent 3 months in Haiti after the earthquakes there, living in a tent, eating crap food, just to help rebuild their nation, all while getting no compensation whatsoever? Did you know that I also spent 6 months in Sri Lanka and Indonesia doing the same for them after the Tsunami a few years back? I also brought 4 families here from Sri Lanka and let them live in my rental properties, FREE OF CHARGE, and took care of all their financial needs, while their homes, schools, and jobs were rebuilt. Oh, and can't forget the yearly trips to Africa to help administer vaccinations, and build water treatment systems in order to help quell disease and sickness. Now tell me those things are arrogant, selfish, stupid, or any other descriptions you have towards "most Americans". Point is, most Americans are NOT what you think we are, regardless of what other people think. Really, spend some time outside the big cities like NY, LA, and Chicago, and ignore our government, and you'll meet some of the kindest, most giving people on this earth. Those arrogant and other views of us, are mostly based on our government and corporations thinking they run the world, and honestly, most of us don't like it either. Also, you can't base your views on people from a public forum like this, they're breeding grounds for ignorance, as I'm sure you'll agree. And really, you can't say "most Americans" are a certain way, as you can't possibly have interacted with over 150 million Americans that it would take to make those statements true.

Again, I'm not trying to argue anything with you, I just want you to understand my point of view, and realize why when you say "most Americans", it offends people like me.
Anonymous

Ottawa, Canada

#16 Aug 8, 2012
Skorchie wrote:
First, do me a favor, and really read what I'm saying here. Seriously, I'm just trying to point out some things you may not realize you're doing.
So what you're saying is, you've been calling "most" Americans stupid, and arrogant, among other things, all because you dislike the American commentators from an American TV channel? Why do you care how American athletes "carry themselves"? That doesn't directly may even be fined for their antics. Does that mean I should bash all, or most Canadians like you have done to Americans? I'm not saying you can't be upset about the results, but calling people that had nothing to do with it names, and accusing most of my country of being the same way you perceive our athletes to be, just displays that you are as bad as you claim we are.
Like I said, I'm not going to support or agree with anyone that bashes the country I was born in, just like you would stand up for yours if someone said the same things about your homeland. If an American gets caught doping, they're cheaters, and deserve whatever they get, if it's a Chinese athlete, or a Canadian, or whoever, I feel the exact same way, they deserve what they get. No need to single out and dwell on 1 country, when over the history of the Olympics, just about every country has been caught cheating/doping at some point. See, we see eye to eye here, cheating is bad for ANYONE.
All I'm asking is you stop with the constant bashing of the American people. Dislike our athletes, or our government, that's fine (because I'd likely agree with you on most of it), but you've grouped most of us into something we are not. Did you know that I've spent 3 months in Haiti after the earthquakes there, living in a tent, eating crap food, just to help rebuild their nation, all while getting no compensation whatsoever? Did you know that I also spent 6 months in Sri Lanka and Indonesia doing the same for them after the Tsunami a few years back? I also brought 4 families here from Sri Lanka and let them live in my rental properties, FREE OF CHARGE, and took care of all their financial needs, while their homes, schools, and jobs were rebuilt. Oh, and can't forget the yearly trips to Africa to help administer vaccinations, and build water treatment systems in order to help quell disease and sickness. Now tell me those things are arrogant, selfish, stupid, or any other descriptions you have towards "most Americans". Point is, most Americans are NOT what you think we are, regardless of what other people think. Really, spend some time outside the big cities like NY, LA, and Chicago, and ignore our government, and you'll meet some of the kindest, most giving people on this earth. Those arrogant and other views of us, are mostly based on our government and corporations thinking they run the world, and honestly, most of us don't like it either. Also, you can't base your views on people from a public forum like this, they're breeding grounds for ignorance, as I'm sure you'll agree. And really, you can't say "most Americans" are a certain way, as you can't possibly have interacted with over 150 million Americans that it would take to make those statements true.
Again, I'm not trying to argue anything with you, I just want you to understand my point of view, and realize why when you say "most Americans", it offends people like me.
Point well made by you. I am big enough to admit when I am wrong and I realize now after our exchanges that I was out of line. You are right that it stems more from your government and large corporations to a large extent. And although I have definitely seen some unsportsmanlike behaviour from some American athletes, it doesn't mean they are all like that and it certainly doesn't mean ordinary Americans are like that. I have to admit I have seen very good sportsmanship from American athletes in these games, especially during track and field.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#17 Aug 8, 2012
Dude, watch the NBA, or NFL, it's FULL of poor sport American athletes, I won't deny that in the least, and is the main reason I don't watch pro basketball or football.

As for poor sports in the Olympics, I believe it's really quite rare. Other than that Russian gymnast swatting her trainers hand away when SHE failed to perform her best, then her little ego-smile when she finally did win a gold, then a lil tantrum by the US gymnastics team because their *star*, World-Champion (Jordyn Weiber) failed to qualify for the finals under the rules that only allow 2 per nation, I haven't seen too much that I'd consider "bad sportsmanship". In reality though, when you have a bunch of 16 year old girls, who are taught to be Diva's, there's bound to be some attitude.

Bad judgement, or not thinking before speaking have occurred, but that's just emotion taking over. As seen by your Canadian women's soccer team.
Anonymous

Ottawa, Canada

#18 Aug 8, 2012
Skorchie wrote:
Dude, watch the NBA, or NFL, it's FULL of poor sport American athletes, I won't deny that in the least, and is the main reason I don't watch pro basketball or football.
As for poor sports in the Olympics, I believe it's really quite rare. Other than that Russian gymnast swatting her trainers hand away when SHE failed to perform her best, then her little ego-smile when she finally did win a gold, then a lil tantrum by the US gymnastics team because their *star*, World-Champion (Jordyn Weiber) failed to qualify for the finals under the rules that only allow 2 per nation, I haven't seen too much that I'd consider "bad sportsmanship". In reality though, when you have a bunch of 16 year old girls, who are taught to be Diva's, there's bound to be some attitude.
Bad judgement, or not thinking before speaking have occurred, but that's just emotion taking over. As seen by your Canadian women's soccer team.
Yes that little Russian gymnast is probably still wearing diapers judging by her behaviour. Thanks for your comments as well about Jordyn Wieber as a couple of people on here didn't like the fact that she didn't make the all around finals. Rules are rules and they apply to all nations. As far as the Canadian soccer team, like they said on the Canadian sports channel today, they should have filed a complaint with FIFA instead of speaking when their emotions were very high. Thank God that Norwegian ref will not be involved in the medal games, however, the damage has unfortunately been done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Gymnastics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News MIAA Reinstates Boys' Gymnastics, Aly Raisman H... (Jun '13) Jun '13 leepsika 2
News SC Gymnast Wins Gold at California Championships (Dec '12) Dec '12 James Eichenbaum 1
News Jordyn Wieber stunner: "Quite honestly, it's ho... (Aug '12) Nov '12 louboutin 52
What do you think? (Sep '12) Sep '12 bestgymnasticsvid... 1
News Vinnie becomes the fifth McDowell brother (Sep '12) Sep '12 shoreman 1
News Gabby Douglas Relives 'Slave' Taunts By Gymnast... (Aug '12) Sep '12 Sheik Yerbouti 2
News Gabby Douglas: Racism claims rebutted by Virgin... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Sheik Yerbouti 1
More from around the web