Age controversy tarnishes China gymnasts' gold quest

Aug 6, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Times of Oman

BEIJING: China's highly-rated gymnastics team heads into the Olympics battling allegations that three of its female members are underage and with enormous pressure from home fans demanding nothing less than ...

Comments (Page 8)

Showing posts 141 - 159 of159
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Kicks

New Orleans, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

I'm so happy to be here I could just sh!t: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimed...
(notice that the arms are inverted)
Pandora

Deland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

shameonusa wrote:
Amrica is a country of whining citizens, cannot be more pathetic. If they cannot be recognized as the best in the world, they will find problems in others. However, the right thing for you to do is self-reflection and stop whining around, so as to maintain your on-the-brink competitive edge.
Wrong. Try thinking for yourself instead of like a drone. Cheating is cheating. China is using the Olympics for propaganda to further unhealthy nationalism in their citizens. There is no sense of fair play or real competition. Perhaps the concept is too difficult to grasp? The biggest whiners are the Chinese. If you cheat, you do so with full knowledge of the consequences. Don't whine or act surprised when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar and get called out for it. I guess China is not used to investigative reporting and truth. Tough. Welcome to the rest of the world.

The athletes are wonderful. The young woman performed beautifully. This is not the first or last time cheating will happen in the Olympics. Marion Anderson just went to jail here for her involvement in doping and had to give up her gold. I think Paul Hamm should have given his medal to the Korean. It is all about ethics and fair play. You only really win, if you win.

It is too bad greed, government propaganda, and nonsense get in the way of these wonderful young athletes.

Since: Aug 08

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
You just proved my point. Re-read my comment. I told you to read the IOC report. It cites multiple independent documents for each athelete which the commission checked and approved. The commission did not have a single Chinese member. So are you saying the French, Russians, Australians, and Brazilians are in on this conspiracy? Oh wait, you're only source is the western media, not the official documents filled with the IOC...And your comments drip with racism, just because somebody doesn't look like you (puberty at age 12 and immense muscle and bone development), they must be cheaters. Right, non-westerners are "children." Calling the Chinese "kids" just like white Americans called blacks "boy" and "girl" in racist America and South Africa, denying them status as adult humans. I'm sorry you're not watching the real "olympics" which showcase talent in all sports with competitors from all nations (even the sports where the U.S. is not dominate in). Americans on NBC just watch a swimming meet and a gymnastics tourney they THOUGHT they would win. Oopps! No coverage of all those nasty non-whites and pretentious Europeans...
OK, we get it. You take issue with America. Thanks.

Since: Aug 08

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

shameonusa wrote:
Amrica is a country of whining citizens, cannot be more pathetic. If they cannot be recognized as the best in the world, they will find problems in others. However, the right thing for you to do is self-reflection and stop whining around, so as to maintain your on-the-brink competitive edge.
I agree about the whining around here. I don't think I can bare reading the words "cheat" or "shame" anymore. You are a whiner too. You are all over the place whining about America. Also, in case you haven't noticed through your obsession, this article is from Oman, a country near Saudi Arabia. I could be wrong but I don't even think America was mentioned in the article at all. But instead, international organizations. How can a whiner tell others to stop whining? Why doesn't everyone get a little self-respect and stop whining?

There are people who have expressed their opinions calmly and rationally and then there is everyone else who is just in an anti-China and anti-America frenzy. It's ridiculous.
tomocola

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

James wrote:
HAHA we crush you in the allround eat dirt chinese
YES HAHAHAHA
Perhaps the next underage athlete who approaches the Olympic podium should receive a "half medal" or a cookie on a string.
tomocola

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

Perhaps the next underage athlete who approaches the Olympic podium should receive either a "half medal," or a cookie on a string.
Kicks

New Orleans, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

Have you seen this revealing photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/glusopen2008/278...
Highroad

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

Judged:

Mythos wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about the whining around here. I don't think I can bare reading the words "cheat" or "shame" anymore. You are a whiner too. You are all over the place whining about America. Also, in case you haven't noticed through your obsession, this article is from Oman, a country near Saudi Arabia. I could be wrong but I don't even think America was mentioned in the article at all. But instead, international organizations. How can a whiner tell others to stop whining? Why doesn't everyone get a little self-respect and stop whining?
There are people who have expressed their opinions calmly and rationally and then there is everyone else who is just in an anti-China and anti-America frenzy. It's ridiculous.
Mythos, try not to mind him. Every post i have seen by him are riddled with ill will towards Americans.
Dave

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
You just proved my point. Re-read my comment. I told you to read the IOC report. It cites multiple independent documents for each athelete which the commission checked and approved. The commission did not have a single Chinese member. So are you saying the French, Russians, Australians, and Brazilians are in on this conspiracy? Oh wait, you're only source is the western media, not the official documents filled with the IOC...And your comments drip with racism, just because somebody doesn't look like you (puberty at age 12 and immense muscle and bone development), they must be cheaters. Right, non-westerners are "children." Calling the Chinese "kids" just like white Americans called blacks "boy" and "girl" in racist America and South Africa, denying them status as adult humans. I'm sorry you're not watching the real "olympics" which showcase talent in all sports with competitors from all nations (even the sports where the U.S. is not dominate in). Americans on NBC just watch a swimming meet and a gymnastics tourney they THOUGHT they would win. Oopps! No coverage of all those nasty non-whites and pretentious Europeans...
Wow, you sure do have a lot of anti-American things to say for someone who lives in Illinois.
Chester

Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Luka wrote:
Doping is to the advantage to the athlete, but underage is not. Underage is even to the disadvantage to the athlete yet He Kexing is able to make it. She is not cheating. Nothing is to her advantage. She beat everyone who's older than her and for that she deserves more applause than regular winners.
<quoted text>
In gymnastics it is. Younger girls have a lower centre of gravity, which is to their advantage in this sport.

I watched the programme live on TV, and I must say, the entire TEAM pretty much looks underage. I'm Chinese, I know what Chinese people look like, and I can assure you they do not look at all 16 years or older. Especially considering they look younger than that in Hong Kong terms, and Hong Kong people are pretty damn short when compared to the rest of China. And gymnasts generally aren't midgets.
Nakamoto

Port Hueneme, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Don't worry. We will. There's nothing here anyways. America is so overrated. Japan is waaaaaay better.
whatever wrote:
Just one question/comment to all of the non-Americans here in the U.S. who are slamming Americans - why don't you get the hell out of our country if you hate it so badly? We'd prefer that you just go home.
lanecia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

why did them chinese girls have to cheat at least they could have wait some years they just wanted to be selfish
Watamooze

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

Take a look at these happy faces; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimed ...
Wow, Kicks ! These are amazing pictures of the 'Chinese hanging torture, intended to stunt the growth of their gymnasts, so that 14 year olds grow up to be comparatively small, so that the Chinese need only add another 2 years to make them 16y, eligible, & small enough to have a decided advantage. "Luka" MUST be a liar & a cheat, to stick up for liars & cheats like that - I, for one, have no time for liars & cheats, & think the gymnasts, their coaches, their parents, their federation & their government are equally to blame for what can only be constued as a massive orchestrated case of fraud ( which is, by the way, a FELONY CRIME, not less so because it had been perpetuated within the auspices of sport )- Does "Luka" also stick up for all other hardened criminals ?
lilly

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

are you serious... your girls don't look 14... they look 12
Keonjai wrote:
Clearly Karolyis is using her American standards to judge the Chinese girls. It's a shame to have a coach to have such a narrow mind. Many coaches love to talk trash and Karolyis just showed how naive Americans really are. You should checkout what these Chinese girls have been eating in their past 16 years. Americans are definitely having a lot more nutritions and they take it for granted. They think everybody on this planet is having the same amount of food when half the world is still living in poverty. Another thing is the Chinese bone structure is clearly smaller compare to the Americans. Are Karolyis comparing Apple to Oranges and then claim the Orange is not red enough? Please give me a break! Why singling out the Chinese team and not complaining about the Russians or the Japanese teams. Those girls also look 14 to everyone! If your team cannot win, don't try to fault it on someone else! If Karolyis really wants the gold medals, she should put up a younger team, instead of sending a 20 year old girl. These days Americans just love to whine about everything.
lilly

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

get over yourself
Nakamoto wrote:
Don't worry. We will. There's nothing here anyways. America is so overrated. Japan is waaaaaay better.
<quoted text>
lilly

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

if you say that He Kexin is not cheating than you know nothing about gymnastics.. and life...
Luka wrote:
Doping is to the advantage to the athlete, but underage is not. Underage is even to the disadvantage to the athlete yet He Kexing is able to make it. She is not cheating. Nothing is to her advantage. She beat everyone who's older than her and for that she deserves more applause than regular winners.
<quoted text>
lilly

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

you need to shut up. this is serious exploitation and it's wrong.
Luka wrote:
Dude, I don't know who old you are but sorry your arguments are really offtopic and irrelevant.
First, this does not have to do with morality or the construction of a society. This is not murder. It's not exploitation either. This is not serious. This is less serious than you getting your parents' money without them knowing. So don't exaggerate, as it makes you look stupid. So what if the girl happens to be underage? I'm 100% sure a 10-year-old do gymnast, no? What's wrong with a 10-year-old doing exercise? And no one forced no one to compete. Whoever best is selected. If you're so desperate to want the medal then just say so; there's no need to say the banana is stale when what they have is unripe apples. Hope this makes sense.
<quoted text>
lilly

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

its scientifically proven that being younger makes you more flexible. What do you have to say to that LUKA???
Luka wrote:
Whatever you're saying may be true may not be true. It's true younger girls have better flexibility, but flexibility is also trained. Do you think just merely a regular 10-year-old would be more flexible than a 18-year-old gymnast? It requires training to be flexible. The younger you start off training the better you'll be, and the longer you have trained the better you'll be. There are at least these two factors that build up the flexibility.
What I'm saying is that merely being a 14-year-old doesn't earn her a medal, neither does that help her earn a medal. Unless you're saying that as the gymnasts turn 16 their flexibility reduces compared to when they were 14. If you say so, bring up the proof.
Second, why did you assume that she underwent "overtraining"? Another assumption. Bring up the proof.
<quoted text>
lilly

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

no way is shawn johnson younger than 16. she actually looks developed even though she is short.
sueki wrote:
if you believe in "looks" then I think Shawn Johnson is younger than 16 years old.
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 141 - 159 of159
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Olympic Gymnastics Discussions

Search the Olympic Gymnastics Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MIAA Reinstates Boys' Gymnastics, Aly Raisman H... (Jun '13) Jun '13 leepsika 2
SC Gymnast Wins Gold at California Championships (Dec '12) Dec '12 James Eichenbaum 1
Jordyn Wieber stunner: "Quite honestly, it's ho... (Aug '12) Nov '12 louboutin 52
What do you think? (Sep '12) Sep '12 bestgymnasticsvideoscom 1
Vinnie becomes the fifth McDowell brother (Sep '12) Sep '12 shoreman 1
Gabby Douglas Relives 'Slave' Taunts By Gymnast... (Aug '12) Sep '12 Sheik Yerbouti 2
Gabby Douglas: Racism claims rebutted by Virgin... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Sheik Yerbouti 1
•••
•••
•••