US hoops back on top, beats Spain for gold medal

Aug 24, 2008 | Posted by: The Associated Press | Full story: The Associated Press

The United States won the gold medal in Olympic men's basketball Sunday with a 118-107 victory over Spain.

The Americans won their first gold medal since the 2000 Olympics, but not without a fight. They led by just four points with less than 2 1/2 minutes remaining before pulling away to beat the same team they handled by 37 points in pool play.

Dwyane Wade scored 27 points and Kobe Bryant added 20 for the Americans.

Rudy Fernandez had 22 and Pau Gasol 21 for Spain, the world champions who were trying for their first Olympic gold.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Jan 11, 2010
Ron

Woodstock, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Well the USA did what they were EXPECTED TO do..now go back to your million dollar lifestyles. I think if the USA sent the college guys, I think they would of have won gold. Let's see, Kevin Love, couple guys from Kansas hitting the three, it would not be a bad team.
P Murray

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Judged:

Ron, It doesn't sound like you saw the game. I did, and Spain was pretty sharp. I don't think the college kids would have won against that team that night.

“It's about the American People”

Since: Jun 07

Flushing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

US menís basketball team is the dream team that gives 'wet dreams' to Spain and other teams as one of the greatest ever. The US menís and womenís basketball team that won the gold medals are great pride of every America.

“Meow”

Since: May 07

Yacking up a topix hairball

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Judged:

I'm glad that the US team finally got it together after their mess up in Athens. They were so busy tripping over each others egos that they barely got a medal. Not this time.

Even Spain had some NBA players on their team this Olympics. They made the USA work hard for their Gold. Nice final game.

Good work, team USA.
Over rated

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Judged:

The USA team won but it was a very tough win. It only proves that the NBA isnt the dominate league anymore and these players are grossly overpaid.

“losers nit pick on topix”

Since: Jul 07

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

i thought they were going to lose. they need to kill the "arrogant" attitude and realize they are going to have to work even harder at the 2012 olympics in London.

“So You Say”

Since: Mar 07

South Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Spain........got no game!!!! lol

USA......all the way.
Donald Duck

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Ron wrote:
Well the USA did what they were EXPECTED TO do..now go back to your million dollar lifestyles. I think if the USA sent the college guys, I think they would of have won gold. Let's see, Kevin Love, couple guys from Kansas hitting the three, it would not be a bad team.
Many of the Spanish players play in the NBA. Gasol is the center for the LA Lakers.
muk

Hattiesburg, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Four more years of Bush. Would that be enough?
Marco

Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

americans are arrogant, whoever u send to the olympics, thats just how u people are. This is international basketball and the you won because the referees didnt whistle the numerous travelling fouls of the americans. Every team complained about how the americans were constantly given advantages... Don't believe me, check your facts people. This final was stolen, it's hard to believe but Spain was simply the better team...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dwyane Wade Discussions

Search the Dwyane Wade Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NBA Extra: Is Dwyane Wade the world's best? (Nov '08) Mar '14 Sam 15,622
Another MVP for LeBron seems likely (Apr '13) Apr '13 Ginobili 1
Dwyane Wade announces bizarre shoe deal (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sheik Yerbouti 5
Dwyane Wade - nude! (Sep '12) Sep '12 Joshua 1
Kobe Bryant -- the international face of U.S. b... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 25
PBT: Heat's Wade out eight weeks (Jul '12) Jul '12 DWADEHEAT 1
LeBron James or Lionel Messi: Which one's better? (Feb '12) Mar '12 Razor_Man 6
•••
•••
•••