Four Days Before Games, Beijing Air I...

Four Days Before Games, Beijing Air Is Thick

There are 22 comments on the olympics.blogs.nytimes.com story from Aug 4, 2008, titled Four Days Before Games, Beijing Air Is Thick . In it, olympics.blogs.nytimes.com reports that:

While the sky in Beijing was blue several days last week, it was smoggy and humid on Monday, and some athletes have already felt the effects of the pollution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at olympics.blogs.nytimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Out to Lunch”

Since: Sep 07

The Village

#1 Aug 4, 2008
God save the distance runners. This is going to be a giant disaster. The IOC has shown themselves to be a corrupt tribe of idiots and this will be their crowning achievement. This will be more about politics and less about sport.
Devil Dog

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Aug 4, 2008
Sorry, but the Olympics are a waste of money and for the taxpayers to have their money go to finance games that have no significance to solving any social problem is a travesty.
Gasp Choke

Coram, NY

#3 Aug 4, 2008
Anyone criticizing man made global warming? Of course not. Will Obama preach his sermons in Beijing? Of course not.

Olympics and global warming have a lot in common. Both separate suckers from their money and make them feel good for a little while.

I guess gasoline smog isn't bad for you in a socialist country.
timlee

Beijing, China

#5 Aug 4, 2008
Don't worry. The sky will finally be clear.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#6 Aug 5, 2008
Pittsburgh Steve wrote:
God save the distance runners. This is going to be a giant disaster. The IOC has shown themselves to be a corrupt tribe of idiots and this will be their crowning achievement. This will be more about politics and less about sport.
Now the numbers people have a problem, it used to be which Kenyan will take the distance race.

Since: Jun 08

Sebastopol, CA

#7 Aug 5, 2008
There couldn't be a more perfect example of the terrible effects of burning fossil fuels, than China broadcasting for the entire world to see, their air so thick with smog that it sickens the Olympic athletes.

Drilling, drilling, drilling is not the answer. Alternatives to coal and oil are what is necessary to clean up the atmosphere. The entire world needs to get on the fast track to developing wind and solar energy, and cars that run on electricity.

Since: Aug 08

Sugar Land, TX

#8 Aug 5, 2008
That's an issue in all the developing countries, like China, India. http://www.zx1z.com Buring coal,oil and raw materials along with low efficient industrial prodution from power plant.
fred buck

United States

#9 Aug 5, 2008
The real story, will the decider wear a dust mask

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#10 Aug 6, 2008
Today, they should seed the clouds for rain to knock down some of the pollution, and tomorrow send the street cleaners out to make things shine again.
Pivnic

Albany, NY

#11 Aug 6, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that this monstrosity of a stadium the Chinese have erected looks like bonds/straps wrapped around a box...one tug on a loose end and they trap everyone in...then poison them with thier propaganda, pollution and __________fill in the blank). But hey, any country that can whip up a hundred thousand specialty 'security' personnel and tell their citizens what to say and not to say to visitors (under punishment of ????) can't be all that bad. And hey, the games are meant to open doors right, not like any IOC leaders are for internet censorship to appease this authoritarian regime. It all makes me wanna go and buy something imported from china because I have that choice here in the US...er wait, I guess I don't have much choice, all of this piec of s***, poinoness, lead paint, pthalate-ridden, short lifespan trash on the market in the US is made in china. Thank you 'free trade' and WTO.
Madmanmike

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Aug 6, 2008
Pivnic wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that this monstrosity of a stadium the Chinese have erected looks like bonds/straps wrapped around a box...one tug on a loose end and they trap everyone in...then poison them with thier propaganda, pollution and __________fill in the blank). But hey, any country that can whip up a hundred thousand specialty 'security' personnel and tell their citizens what to say and not to say to visitors (under punishment of ????) can't be all that bad. And hey, the games are meant to open doors right, not like any IOC leaders are for internet censorship to appease this authoritarian regime. It all makes me wanna go and buy something imported from china because I have that choice here in the US...er wait, I guess I don't have much choice, all of this piec of s***, poinoness, lead paint, pthalate-ridden, short lifespan trash on the market in the US is made in china. Thank you 'free trade' and WTO.
Its sickening to see Americans support the scumbag Chinese Government, hell its sickening watching Americans support this scumbag american government.
WhiteAsian

Hanoi, Vietnam

#13 Aug 7, 2008
I am upset about the Drunken Donkey (bushy) teaching China about Religious and Political freedoms...
Listen you stupid drunken donkey Bush! In USA peopel are jailed for free-speech, priests and churches are harrassed by the IRS (tax police) if they talk about the Bible and OPPOSING homosexuality. Being normal, Christian-faithed and believe in Family values is a very dangerous thing to do in todays America. Free-speech, freedom of expression are cursed as "hate-crimes" in the "land of free", so do not eduate China about freedoms!
I am a White man living in Asia with my Asian wife. In most Asian countries to be religious is a guranteed and accepted thing of life. Talking about Bible, or Buddhist values AGAINST homos and other american-born perversion is totally acepted and free to do.
The drunken donkey pres of USA should DO and sweep around his own homeland first before he unleashes his stupid and arrogant spits on China.
China might have some problems but it is changing. Vietnam and China both under soialist control, but more free today as the USA. Period.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#14 Aug 7, 2008
make it rain, people.

“TheseDays”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#15 Aug 7, 2008
I'm so looking forward to the events. It'll be interesting to see how China handles all events and media.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#16 Aug 7, 2008
I pray the events proceed with out incident, it would be the best thing for the people of China.
Upload images & interviews, don't carry them out of the country.
TRUTH TO POWER

Jasper, GA

#17 Aug 8, 2008
I wonder why there are no environmentalists on this forum...
TRUTH TO POWER

Jasper, GA

#18 Aug 8, 2008
RayOne wrote:
I pray the events proceed with out incident, it would be the best thing for the people of China.
Upload images & interviews, don't carry them out of the country.
I guess your prayer "the events proceed with out incident" is because of the brutality the atheistic Chi-Com government is known for - especially when they don't get their way...
TRUTH TO POWER

Jasper, GA

#19 Aug 8, 2008
RayOne wrote:
make it rain, people.
How do you expect us to do that?

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#20 Aug 8, 2008
TRUTH TO POWER wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you expect us to do that?
Had it not been for recent flooding, China has the technology to seed the clouds for rain.
TRUTH TO POWER

Milledgeville, GA

#21 Aug 9, 2008
RayOne wrote:
<quoted text>Had it not been for recent flooding, China has the technology to seed the clouds for rain.
So, you are your own gods...who are you praying to?

Cloud seeding is not some miraculous "technology" the Chinese have created, it is an unproven attempt to manipulate nature.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/B...

"Cloud seeding dates back to 1946 when Dr Vincent Schaefer discovered the theory in a New York laboratory when he was trying to create artificial clouds."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Cycling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Let the Games begin (Aug '12) Feb '16 Fart news 7
News June 23 - Milton, Brampton eagerly await Pan Am... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Fart news 2
News June 23 - Miltonians eagerly await carrying Pan... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Fart news 2
News Verity eyeing worlds for Yorkshire (May '15) May '15 tom wingo 3
News Ontario is yours to discover by bike (Apr '15) Apr '15 Gas Released 2
News Mark Beaumont celebrates after his finishing hi... (Apr '15) Apr '15 joe glazer 2
News Bike Dojo sells spin gym business to Toadal Fit... (May '14) May '14 Jeffry helms 5
More from around the web