Ex-Clemson track star Shawn Crawford awarded silver in 200m dash

Aug 20, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Greenville News

Former Clemson track star Shawn Crawford fell short in defending his gold medal performance from 2004 in the 200m dash, but put together a season-best time to earn a silver after a pair of disqualifications ...

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Aug 25, 2008
r bibs

Willemstad, Netherlands Antilles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

A pity the US was so cheap...they should have bought Gold instead

Since: Mar 07

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

r bibs wrote:
A pity the US was so cheap...they should have bought Gold instead
So, what you are saying is that, if the roles were reversed, Churandy would not have indicated that he was not the only one who stepped on the line and if he is being penalized then every runner who stepped on the line should be penalized as well.

You see first of all, it is highly doubtful that Wallace Spearmon saw Churandy step on the line while Martina was running because Spearmon was running as well. It is extremely unlikely that while Spearmon was in the midst of trying to medal he turn to his left or right at 35 miles per hour, saw Martina's foot at the appropriate time step on the line and made a mental note that if he should finish and be disqualified for stepping on the line, that he would tell them about Martina.

The best scenario would be while the overseers of the race rewound the tapes numerous times to look at and then show Spearmon the violation of the rules that he committed, either Spearmon, the overseers or both noticed Churandy's as well. It was then that Spearmon's argument became, you either have to give me my medal if you let another person who did the same thing get through or you disqualify both of us.

I wish people would stop being irrational and grow up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Churandy Martina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jamaicans sweep sprints at Diamond League meet (May '13) May '13 abubakar 1
Martina loses 200m silver as US protest upheld (Aug '08) Apr '09 nonoleta 90
Martina appeals to win back Olympic silver (Jan '09) Jan '09 Jennifer 1
US men's sprint medal jeopardized by protest (Aug '08) Aug '08 Pedro 5
Lost medal means U.S. has 140,000 new enemies (Aug '08) Aug '08 Willy 3
IOC: The Same Sad Story (Aug '08) Aug '08 xavier 1
Dzingai through to 200m final (Aug '08) Aug '08 Abel 1

Search the Churandy Martina Forum:
•••
•••