Olympics: Chinese hurdler Liu may be biggest story of the Games

Aug 6, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Salt Lake Tribune

Most Americans probably have never heard of Liu Xiang. But at the Bejing Olympics that begin this week, the champion hurdler will be impossible to miss.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Dreamxoxo

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

Too bad Liu Xiang didnt compete but come on he was injured and i thought he had great courage to complete in the heats!! Go liu xiang

no people will blame for your excellent courage

you performed your best and your best is all that counts!
Buganti

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

yeah dat was bad. even showed chinese fans in tears, the stadium went empty! hopefully he can keep his body top shape for london
Hunter

Fuzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

I am Chinese,read considerable comments in Chinese websites

In traditional websites(means it's state controlled),yes,you see the messages are mostly favourable to Liu Xiang,but in other mass websites,especially of BBS,forum, www.mop.com etc,you will see at least 70% people are despising him,condemning him cheating,saying that he just poretended that he was injured in order to avoid failure during race.

People say he was great actor at that moment.
For Chinese,his acting was very obvious,regardless he was really injured or not.
Lips

Hong Kong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

Sorry to say Hunter most people in China and Hong Kong still support him and wishing him the best. Show a little love !!!!!

Since: Aug 08

Kunming, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

Year, Hunter, you went a little too far. He got injured in New York this May. However, through appropriate recovery exercise, he remained the ability to win. You know what, he completed within 9.90 seconds in testing race a few days before the game in the Bird's Nest. But an Achelle's foot cannot possibly complete the 110 meters track, let alone win the game. And if he really competed, he would irreversibly break his foot and cannot compete later on. So in order to protect his foot and reserve potential for the future competition, he unwillingly made that choice. It's fully understandable. I personally looked at several bbs and blogs talking about the event, and I didn't see much despising words. I don't know what analytical method you used that resulted in 70% percent despising vioce. But as far as I know, every body I knew feels sorry and undertand him.
shl

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

Yes of course some people will be disappointed in him. Some people who don't have a heart will hate him and say he was an actor. He did so much for China already, people should remember all that. I know a ton of people here in the states that sympathize with him and hope the best for him. He used so much courage to drop out of the race, and for a good reason. If he ran, he would have hurt himself even more, and risked his whole career, not just one race.
I support Liu Xiang (as do MANY people) and I wish him the best. Hopefully he will be back, but even if he isn't, he's China's hero already, and forever.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Olympic Basketball Discussions

Search the Olympic Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Happy Birthday, Michael Jordan, Basketball Icon (Feb '10) Feb '14 supa fly 2 14
Kevin Love Named To Initial U.S. National Team Jan '14 asad khan 2
Divorce not an option for Khloe Kardashian (May '12) Dec '13 amw 17
Obama honors first time WNBA champ Indiana Fever (Jun '13) Nov '13 funny 3
Arturas Karnisovas, former Seton Hall and Lithu... (Jul '13) Jul '13 fred jackson 1
Former Wildcats invited to Team USA Mini-Camp (Jun '13) Jun '13 COACH ORWIN 1
6 NBA Teams Guaranteed to Have Interest in Trad... (May '13) Jun '13 raymond gainer 4
•••
•••
•••