Pierce: 'I'm the best player in the w...

Pierce: 'I'm the best player in the world'

There are 28 comments on the Orange County Register story from Aug 1, 2008, titled Pierce: 'I'm the best player in the world'. In it, Orange County Register reports that:

Paul Pierce said it. He meant it. And he still means it. The Boston Celtics small forward/guard recently was asked by a Spanish publication whether he thought Kobe Bryant was the best player in the world.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orange County Register.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Showtime

United States

#1 Aug 1, 2008
What a joke, forget the world hes not even the best on his team! Talk about throwing your team under the bus, he just won a championship because of KG and allen after so many years of trying with the celtics and now hes the best in the world? someone needs to let some air out of his fat head.
Sammy

Belleville, Canada

#2 Aug 1, 2008
Showtime wrote:
What a joke, forget the world hes not even the best on his team! Talk about throwing your team under the bus, he just won a championship because of KG and allen after so many years of trying with the celtics and now hes the best in the world? someone needs to let some air out of his fat head.
Or loosen the nut on his wheel chair
Showtime

United States

#3 Aug 1, 2008
Sammy wrote:
<quoted text>Or loosen the nut on his wheel chair
haha right.
Sammy

Belleville, Canada

#5 Aug 1, 2008
BlessYouMyChild wrote:
not nice
caw blimey is there a problem with that mate?
mayor

Norco, CA

#6 Aug 1, 2008
yeah, that's why he's on the US roster right?
Hylas1

Reading, MA

#7 Aug 1, 2008
Lighten up folks. He wasn't insulting anybody, he wasn't throwing anyone under the bus. What elite player isn't going to answer this question the same way? You don't even make it to that level unless you believe that about yourself... Chalk it up to a stupid question. What's he gonna say "yeah Kobe's much better than me" ?? In case you missed it, he was making a point about confidence.
Hylas1

Reading, MA

#8 Aug 1, 2008
Can't help it if the Truth hurts. Just look at the finals. Who was the only unstoppable player in that series? You clowns talk about KG and Ray. Where was Kobe without Pau Pau & LaMar? Kobe couldn't carry a team by himself. Not only does he lack the talent, but his teammates hate him. he doesn't have their back. He sinks them and stands on their bodies to grab the last gulps of air for himself...
Sammy

Ottawa, Canada

#9 Aug 2, 2008
Hylas1 wrote:
Can't help it if the Truth hurts. Just look at the finals. Who was the only unstoppable player in that series? You clowns talk about KG and Ray. Where was Kobe without Pau Pau & LaMar? Kobe couldn't carry a team by himself. Not only does he lack the talent, but his teammates hate him. he doesn't have their back. He sinks them and stands on their bodies to grab the last gulps of air for himself...
yea ok buddy, your right.
old man

United States

#10 Aug 3, 2008
SO.

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#11 Aug 4, 2008
Hylas1 wrote:
Hmm well Kobe was able to carry a team by himself to playoffs as the 7 and 8 seeds for two years in the west.

Paul Lottery pick in the east...so plss do not go there.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#12 Aug 4, 2008
Hylas1 wrote:
By the way where do You come out with idea of kobes team mates hate him?

Pls that hate You do come play for on a nightly basis.

Look at the NY, Knicks they didn't like Thomas and Marbury.
mayor

Norco, CA

#13 Aug 4, 2008
Hylas1 wrote:
Lighten up folks. He wasn't insulting anybody, he wasn't throwing anyone under the bus. What elite player isn't going to answer this question the same way? You don't even make it to that level unless you believe that about yourself... Chalk it up to a stupid question. What's he gonna say "yeah Kobe's much better than me" ?? In case you missed it, he was making a point about confidence.
kobe carried the lakers to a 7 seed in the WEST that started Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, AND Smush Parker at one point.
Joe

Freehold, NJ

#14 Aug 4, 2008
mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
kobe carried the lakers to a 7 seed in the WEST that started Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, AND Smush Parker at one point.
really not that much of an accomplishment two years ago considering Chris Paul and Baron Davis missed about 20 games each and NO was dealing with other injuries as well. Who's next, the Clippers who lost Livingston near the end of the season?
basketballfan

Vista, CA

#15 Aug 4, 2008
people who say that kobe is not a team player are still living in 2005. he has grown a lot since then, and he helped the lakers go all the way to the finals this year when they were not expected to get that far. kobe is so talented, and that is why he won MVP this year!! if paul pierce was the best player in the world, maybe he would have won that award...

Since: May 08

Austin, TX

#16 Aug 4, 2008
He is the best.
Showtime

United States

#17 Aug 4, 2008
basketballfan wrote:
people who say that kobe is not a team player are still living in 2005. he has grown a lot since then, and he helped the lakers go all the way to the finals this year when they were not expected to get that far. kobe is so talented, and that is why he won MVP this year!! if paul pierce was the best player in the world, maybe he would have won that award...
AMEN!
Hylas1

Reading, MA

#18 Aug 8, 2008
Sammy wrote:
<quoted text>yea ok buddy, your right.
Well thank you, I know I'm right. And I also know how to spell.
Hylas1

Reading, MA

#19 Aug 8, 2008
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm well Kobe was able to carry a team by himself to playoffs as the 7 and 8 seeds for two years in the west.
Paul Lottery pick in the east...so plss do not go there.
Well, if that's the measure, Paul carried his team into the playoffs 2002-05, with NO help, unless you want to count Mark Blount or 'Toine. Paul was out injured a large part of the lottery year. I know Kobe is talented, I just think he's over-hyped. He's one of the best guys to have as your #2 option, but hasn't done much as a #1 except score 81 points once & 50 points several other times. Kobe & Shaq walked away from a title winner because they couldn't put their petty personal differences aside. No Celtic champion has ever done that.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

#20 Aug 8, 2008
Hylas1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if that's the measure, Paul carried his team into the playoffs 2002-05, with NO help, unless you want to count Mark Blount or 'Toine. Paul was out injured a large part of the lottery year. I know Kobe is talented, I just think he's over-hyped. He's one of the best guys to have as your #2 option, but hasn't done much as a #1 except score 81 points once & 50 points several other times. Kobe & Shaq walked away from a title winner because they couldn't put their petty personal differences aside. No Celtic champion has ever done that.
hahahaha...sorry those comments are seriously laughable! even Paul Pierce would slap you in the face for saying that crap! Kobe led the lakers to the finals this year! Kobe carried a team to the playoffs twice with TERRIBLE players! Paul Pierce did not carry his team ever! he had antoine walker with him! and dont bother challenging that call, bcos everyone knows it! ill get stats and show you how important walker was to bostons success! in one of those seasons walker was traded back to boston and that when they made a run for the playoffs! before that, they were not certain to make it! then walker goes, 2 years of nothing! then KG and Allen come, Championship! thats not a coincidence mate!

there would be other people who might admit they dont like kobe, but at least they can admit kobe is the best in the league! number 2 option, what a joke!

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#21 Aug 8, 2008
Hylas1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For You to say he has done much as number 1 option only show how much You do not know about basket ball.
Finals this season, hellooooooo! with a team full of injuries counting himself and without the full squad he still took the Celtics to 6 games.

First do not compare the east to the west, to different stories, Lebron carried a bunch of guys to the finals in the east is shows is not that hard on the side of the country in 2007 even less in 2005.

To carried a team full of rookies and second year men to the playoff in the west has more value then doing it in the east,those teams Kobe carried they have no business making the playoffs, but he carried them and almost upset the Suns one time.

I hope You are not saying Pierce is Boston number 1 guy, cause if that is that case, why was Garnet a candidate for the MVP, but Pierce was not?
How strange that the number two guy in a team gets nominated for MVP while the number option doesn't.

That is like Pippen being a candidate for the MVP with the bulls and Michael not, make no sense.

Kobe is simply the best player in the world right now, No other player has more complete game and every one knows this, as over hype I do not think so. Mostly when he gets no love from the Media I don't see him doing a lot commercials, not like Lebron THE KING JAMES! or even Wade, You get to see them every other commercial.
Hell Lebron is the Face of the NBA today as marketing goes and before him it was Wade.
When two guys with less to show for then Kobe get more hyped than him, that right there shows he is not over hyped.

Yeah You right, No Celtic champion has ever done that, but then again the Celtics never had Shaq.
Shaq walked away cause he wanted to, but like he showed and Orlando,L.A. and Miami he can handle competition from second star in the team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College basketball had its first 4-OT game of s... (Feb '17) Feb '17 GamePharts 2
News 2016 Rio Olympics: Team USA Unveils Women's Bas... (May '16) May '16 Ivyawe 2
News Martina Navratilova Marries Julia Lemigova In N... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Ray 1
News Tamika Catchings shares career intentions and c... (Oct '14) Oct '14 ivyawe 1
News Former Wildcats invited to Team USA Mini-Camp (Jun '13) Oct '14 FLORIDA SWAMPER 3
News Yahoo's call for overhaul of USA Basketball, FI... (Sep '14) Sep '14 johnnyj 1
News Brittney Griner Proposes To Girlfriend Glory Jo... (Aug '14) Aug '14 John Wilkinson 1