Credit Checks for Alpha Kappa Alpha

Credit Checks for Alpha Kappa Alpha

Posted in the Alpha Kappa Alpha Forum

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Please Help Need Answer

United States

#1 Jan 25, 2011
This is such a serious matter. I just need to know the cut off score. I know people think it's taboo to ask. However, I could save myself a lot of embarassment if the score needs to be 800 and I only have a 650. This could save the sponsors valuable time, yet help me to plan for the future. If there are any graduate chapter members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. that could help me with this. I would be forever thankful for you.

Hopeful
Overit

Dallas, TX

#2 Feb 18, 2011
Please Help Need Answer wrote:
This is such a serious matter. I just need to know the cut off score. I know people think it's taboo to ask. However, I could save myself a lot of embarassment if the score needs to be 800 and I only have a 650. This could save the sponsors valuable time, yet help me to plan for the future. If there are any graduate chapter members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. that could help me with this. I would be forever thankful for you.
Hopeful
a

You're not likely to get a straight answer, but I "heard" the cutoff was 550 or something like that. I urge you to educate yourself on the mess that they have going on internally before you dedicate 3 weekends, 2 thousand dollars, and a lot of effort into becoming a member. As much money as their past International President took from them, they should be worrying about their own credit & tax exempt status. Good luck on your journey. If you should make it, I hope it's everything you hoped it would be.
Followingup

Overland Park, KS

#3 Apr 12, 2011
I was just curious as to what your outcome was with this situation. I am in the waiting stage after sending off the credit/background check forms. Did you determine what the minimum credit cutoff score is? What exactly are they looking for on the background check?
Please Help Need Answer wrote:
This is such a serious matter. I just need to know the cut off score. I know people think it's taboo to ask. However, I could save myself a lot of embarassment if the score needs to be 800 and I only have a 650. This could save the sponsors valuable time, yet help me to plan for the future. If there are any graduate chapter members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. that could help me with this. I would be forever thankful for you.
Hopeful
Ms Interested

Mineral Wells, TX

#4 Oct 4, 2011
Followingup wrote:
I was just curious as to what your outcome was with this situation. I am in the waiting stage after sending off the credit/background check forms. Did you determine what the minimum credit cutoff score is? What exactly are they looking for on the background check?
<quoted text>
Any update regarding this issue?
Open Minded b

San Francisco, CA

#5 Jan 11, 2012
This is very interesting because I was told by a graduate member that they aren't "that big of a deal." Have any of you ladies became a member yet?
ms thang

Daytona Beach, FL

#6 Apr 27, 2012
I am now in the process of hearing from them if I got accepted or not. I have sent off my background information. Once tht comes back, then I will know if I am an AKA.
ms thang

Daytona Beach, FL

#7 Apr 27, 2012
I do not see why anyones credit score will be any interest to them. Credit checks are for individuals purchasing an item. The purpose of the Organization is to serve the community and be a role model for younger women, and those things have nothing to do with credit check.
ms thang

Daytona Beach, FL

#8 Apr 27, 2012
I am sure that I will become an AKA, I can feel it.
Southern Disappointment

Greeleyville, SC

#9 May 7, 2012
I too had gone through the process of being invited,obtaining letters of recommendation, and a sponsor. Received a letter for candidacy, submitted my graduate transcript, attended a meet and greet, and submitted my application with a 35.00 cashiers check for a background check, and I signed a form for Alpha Kappa Alpha to view my credit report. All to have them deny membership. Initially, I was very upset, and disappointed. As this was a long term goal, and I truly wanted to join and be a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, for a very long time, and for all the right reassons. To be a part of an organization, that did remarkable things for the community and in the society at large. Only to be told by their standards,after meeting their criteria as listed on their Web Site, to be disappointed because of a number on my credit. That number does not define who I am as a person, only that Alpha Kappa Alpha thinks that I'm not good enough. Yes, this is a very serious matter. Considering the fact that this is an organization that has done nothing for me personally, I was willing to dedicate my life to them, in pursuing change and making a difference. Not to mentioned the 2,000.00 that I am paying them to join their organization. I wonder if they did a background check and a credit report on the current memebers of yesteryear, what would their credit scores look like, and would they even be memebers. I think that its unfair, and very sad, that you are being judged by the numbers of your credit rather then your true character. No one is pefect and we all have made some bad decisions in our lives, but to deny memebrship is very hurtful, and perhaps they are worthy of me. Certinly these aren't the ideas of the 21 pearls who founded the organization in 1908. Truly how sad. Maybe I will write Michelle Obama, and ask her how she feels about this as a memeber of the organization? Just a thought.
Possibly Joining

United States

#10 May 8, 2012
you never told us your score :)
Southern Disappointment wrote:
I too had gone through the process of being invited,obtaining letters of recommendation, and a sponsor. Received a letter for candidacy, submitted my graduate transcript, attended a meet and greet, and submitted my application with a 35.00 cashiers check for a background check, and I signed a form for Alpha Kappa Alpha to view my credit report. All to have them deny membership. Initially, I was very upset, and disappointed. As this was a long term goal, and I truly wanted to join and be a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, for a very long time, and for all the right reassons. To be a part of an organization, that did remarkable things for the community and in the society at large. Only to be told by their standards,after meeting their criteria as listed on their Web Site, to be disappointed because of a number on my credit. That number does not define who I am as a person, only that Alpha Kappa Alpha thinks that I'm not good enough. Yes, this is a very serious matter. Considering the fact that this is an organization that has done nothing for me personally, I was willing to dedicate my life to them, in pursuing change and making a difference. Not to mentioned the 2,000.00 that I am paying them to join their organization. I wonder if they did a background check and a credit report on the current memebers of yesteryear, what would their credit scores look like, and would they even be memebers. I think that its unfair, and very sad, that you are being judged by the numbers of your credit rather then your true character. No one is pefect and we all have made some bad decisions in our lives, but to deny memebrship is very hurtful, and perhaps they are worthy of me. Certinly these aren't the ideas of the 21 pearls who founded the organization in 1908. Truly how sad. Maybe I will write Michelle Obama, and ask her how she feels about this as a memeber of the organization? Just a thought.
Always Evolving

Overland Park, KS

#11 May 8, 2012
Michelle Obama is not a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. And I am not certain where this "21" pearls reference comes from. I strongly suggest that you have this discussion with the ladies in your chapter of interest. They may be able to give you an explanation as to why you were not extended an invitation. Outside of credit score, there are many other factors that play a pivotol role in the decision to accept someone into this organization, or not.
Dominican Love

Memphis, TN

#12 May 11, 2012
Southern Disappointment wrote:
I too had gone through the process of being invited,obtaining letters of recommendation, and a sponsor. Received a letter for candidacy, submitted my graduate transcript, attended a meet and greet, and submitted my application with a 35.00 cashiers check for a background check, and I signed a form for Alpha Kappa Alpha to view my credit report. All to have them deny membership. Initially, I was very upset, and disappointed. As this was a long term goal, and I truly wanted to join and be a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, for a very long time, and for all the right reassons. To be a part of an organization, that did remarkable things for the community and in the society at large. Only to be told by their standards,after meeting their criteria as listed on their Web Site, to be disappointed because of a number on my credit. That number does not define who I am as a person, only that Alpha Kappa Alpha thinks that I'm not good enough. Yes, this is a very serious matter. Considering the fact that this is an organization that has done nothing for me personally, I was willing to dedicate my life to them, in pursuing change and making a difference. Not to mentioned the 2,000.00 that I am paying them to join their organization. I wonder if they did a background check and a credit report on the current memebers of yesteryear, what would their credit scores look like, and would they even be memebers. I think that its unfair, and very sad, that you are being judged by the numbers of your credit rather then your true character. No one is pefect and we all have made some bad decisions in our lives, but to deny memebrship is very hurtful, and perhaps they are worthy of me. Certinly these aren't the ideas of the 21 pearls who founded the organization in 1908. Truly how sad. Maybe I will write Michelle Obama, and ask her how she feels about this as a memeber of the organization? Just a thought.
Question???
I'm just curious what was the timeframe that I took you to hear back from the graduate chapter once you submitted the credit/background check application? Were other factors considered other than just your credit score?
Missy

Leesburg, FL

#13 May 12, 2012
I am wondering the same thing. How long did the graduate chapter take to respond to you after submitting your background check and attending the info session?
jtg6

Douglasville, GA

#14 May 29, 2012
ms thang wrote:
I am sure that I will become an AKA, I can feel it.
What happened Ms. Thang?!
Bump

Baltimore, MD

#15 Sep 16, 2012
Anyone with a solid score range?
On the side

Kansas City, MO

#16 Sep 24, 2012
Seems to me criminal behaviour would be more alarming than a credit score, I'm sure long time members and legacies may not have perfect credit either...most aspiring are college students, seems kinda harsh.
Bump

Baltimore, MD

#17 Sep 25, 2012
Yeah. I'm thinking it's more for outrageous things like lack of payment(s)or delinquent accounts and of course a criminal record.
Angela

Belleville, IL

#18 Oct 6, 2012
Yes this is crazy. To check scores now a days is crazy. I all I can say is that they better be ready for a decline in interest
Shellley

Las Vegas, NV

#19 Dec 26, 2012
I too am an aspirant. Someone told me they check credit scores to get a gage of your ability/willingness to stick to a lifelong commitment and remain financial. One thing they should realize is we are in the throws of a recession. Most people don't have great or even good credit scores these days. I understand they are tired of "shirt wearers" and what dedicated, committed members but there has to be another way of gaging this.
Follow up

Milwaukee, WI

#20 Feb 5, 2013
Hi!!! Just wondering...did you only submit graduate transcripts or were undergraduate transcripts required? Did you already graduate from grad school or is it acceptable to send grad transcripts while you are currently a student.
Southern Disappointment wrote:
I too had gone through the process of being invited,obtaining letters of recommendation, and a sponsor. Received a letter for candidacy, submitted my graduate transcript, attended a meet and greet, and submitted my application with a 35.00 cashiers check for a background check, and I signed a form for Alpha Kappa Alpha to view my credit report. All to have them deny membership. Initially, I was very upset, and disappointed. As this was a long term goal, and I truly wanted to join and be a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, for a very long time, and for all the right reassons. To be a part of an organization, that did remarkable things for the community and in the society at large. Only to be told by their standards,after meeting their criteria as listed on their Web Site, to be disappointed because of a number on my credit. That number does not define who I am as a person, only that Alpha Kappa Alpha thinks that I'm not good enough. Yes, this is a very serious matter. Considering the fact that this is an organization that has done nothing for me personally, I was willing to dedicate my life to them, in pursuing change and making a difference. Not to mentioned the 2,000.00 that I am paying them to join their organization. I wonder if they did a background check and a credit report on the current memebers of yesteryear, what would their credit scores look like, and would they even be memebers. I think that its unfair, and very sad, that you are being judged by the numbers of your credit rather then your true character. No one is pefect and we all have made some bad decisions in our lives, but to deny memebrship is very hurtful, and perhaps they are worthy of me. Certinly these aren't the ideas of the 21 pearls who founded the organization in 1908. Truly how sad. Maybe I will write Michelle Obama, and ask her how she feels about this as a memeber of the organization? Just a thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Background checks Jun '15 MVMT 6
sponsorship (Jan '15) Jun '15 AKA is DEEP 4
Graduate Membership (Jan '09) Jun '15 AKA is DEEP 25
Credit Checks for AKA (Jan '15) Apr '15 Nduetime 6
undergrad acceptance Mar '15 bentley 1
Expressing Interest (Nov '13) Feb '15 AspiringInATL 13
Acceptance Feb '15 Oceona Taylor 1
More from around the web