St. Louis Fast Food Workers Walk Off the Job

Jul 29, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: River Front Times

St. Louis fast food workers are walking off the job Monday, July 29 in a 24-hour strike to protest low wages.

Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Aug 2, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
semo

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Jul 30, 2013
You have to be kidding asking for $15.00 an hour for flipping burgers. That is more than many professionals are paid. EMS, firefighters social workers, etc. If you want better pay go to school or do what I did, work 2 jobs. Again they want everything handed to them. This is laughable.
Lamer

Hopkins, MN

#2 Jul 30, 2013
Every EMS, firefighter (non volenteer) and social worker i have met makes way more than 15/hour. I also live in Ohio where wages are very flat compared to the rest of the country... 15/hour and you still wont bring home 30k/year. Good luck getting anywhere in life making even 15.

That being said, should fast food workers make 15 and hour? Doubt it; employers get the pick right now with the shape the job market is in.
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

#3 Jul 30, 2013
It won't seem so funny when you lose your job to the great Democrat sacrifice, and have to go flip burgers. Democrats won't be happy until we are all unemployed. Start your own business!!
ha ha

Saint Peters, MO

#4 Jul 30, 2013
One more way to redistribute the wealth.
i see oj

Virginia Beach, VA

#5 Jul 30, 2013
Coming soon - The $5 value menu.......
Lamer

Hopkins, MN

#6 Jul 30, 2013
i see oj wrote:
Coming soon - The $5 value menu.......
thats what people here keep saying and 30 dollar big macs. You double their pay but now all of sudden we need to multiply prices by 5? Where did you people take elementrary math class at?
AllKnowingCPA

Denver, CO

#7 Jul 30, 2013
All I see is these workers not careing about what they do at work. Make the wrong food, push the wrong buttons, they don't care. They have no education and no skills, that is why they make minimum. These are jobs not careers. Get a clue and go to school or find a trade.
i see oj

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Jul 30, 2013
Lamer wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you people take elementrary math class at?
Apparently the same place where you took your "elementrary" grammar classes.....

Lighten up Francis, it was a joke!
Brad

Manchester, CT

#9 Jul 30, 2013
Lamer wrote:
<quoted text>
thats what people here keep saying and 30 dollar big macs. You double their pay but now all of sudden we need to multiply prices by 5? Where did you people take elementrary math class at?
Really?
So if the price of a burger goes from 1 dollar to 2 dollars that covers the pay increase from 7.50 to 15.00 dollars?

And you're questioning everybody elses math skills?

LOL
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jul 30, 2013
and as they walked out the front door with their picket signs, the boss should let illegals in the back door and give them the strikers jobs.
who

United States

#11 Jul 30, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
So if the price of a burger goes from 1 dollar to 2 dollars that covers the pay increase from 7.50 to 15.00 dollars?
LOL
duh. If everything else stays the same and labor doubles, then costs havent doubled. But if you double your prices to cover that, your margin has gone up more than your cost increase. So, yes, doubling prices would more than cover that raise. The problem is a decent sized meal at mcd's is already higher than a much better comparable sized meal from a local burger joint. These morons working these places give you a lost look if your bill is 5.01 and you give them a ten and a penny. They look at you funny, give you back your penny, then ring your bill out of the ten and give you 4.99 back. You want a raise to buy more "bling", get a REAL job. Im imaging 10000 black people, all greasy, scratching their oily heads, wishing they could by a cadillac, striking for factory pay. Fire them all and hire a new batch.
who

United States

#12 Jul 30, 2013
That should actually read that if labor doubles and everything else stays the same, the PRE raise margin doubles, actually more than doubles, before the raise is factored in. Your pre raise margin would go up by the entire price increase, and that increase would ONLY be impacted by the payraise, so margin still more than doubles. But that IS how pricing seems to increase these days, if, say, widgets go up 5cents a case, they go up 5 cents EACH on the shelf. Every tiny cost increase is met with a corresponding larger jump in profit margin through overpricing, in most areas of retail. Nucking futs. Watch gas, its the perfect example. Sometimes the same wholesale jump will net SEVERAL retail jumps.
Lamer

Piqua, OH

#13 Jul 30, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
LOL
yes, you should probably do the math yourself. It's clear you not a business owner.
hardhead

Florissant, MO

#14 Jul 30, 2013
the owners make a ton of money at these places and should come up a little on wages, but $15 an hour is way to much for some of the nitwits they have working at some of these places. try putting someone on the drive up window that can speak english, instead of e-bonics. it would be nice to get an order right at least one time from one of these places. never use to be like that years ago,what's changed you ask? they started hiring the blacks and they don't care about anything.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#15 Jul 30, 2013
Wow. should take all of 45 minutes to train new people to do those jobs...

this is what determines level of pay.

fast food jobs are not meant to be living wage jobs.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#16 Jul 30, 2013
Consider it an opportunity to cook for the people you like.
Assassins Creed

Spring, TX

#17 Jul 30, 2013
I couldn't care less if all fast food places went belly up. I don't eat there. I'd rather eat a snack out of my purse than put fast food in my body. I'm at a healthy weight and would like to stay there.

St. Croix valley

#18 Jul 30, 2013
Assassins Creed wrote:
I couldn't care less if all fast food places went belly up. I don't eat there. I'd rather eat a snack out of my purse than put fast food in my body. I'm at a healthy weight and would like to stay there.
if you think fast food makes you fat, you don't seem to have an idea of what healthy eating is about...
Cat74

Barrington, IL

#19 Jul 30, 2013
Fast food joints are for teens just out of H S, an entry level job where they can earn some money, learn a work ethic, and move on to bigger, and better jobs.$15. an hour, are they nuts? Yes, pretty much. Democrats have to stop smoking that funny tobacco, and drinking that imitation PCP.

St. Croix valley

#20 Jul 30, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Fast food joints are for teens just out of H S, an entry level job where they can earn some money, learn a work ethic, and move on to bigger, and better jobs.$15. an hour, are they nuts? Yes, pretty much. Democrats have to stop smoking that funny tobacco, and drinking that imitation PCP.
what makes you think they are democrats...?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 2 hr White Knight 1,905
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Bently 18,880
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 3 hr Muslim in the Whi... 96,396
Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 3 hr alan p 240
Cops: To Serve and Protect THEMSELVES 8 hr Spirit Of Michael... 1
The White-Trash of America Will Riot if Officer... 10 hr UH1D 12
The NAAWP is conducting a FUND RAISER for POLIC... 11 hr NAAWP - 2014 4
•••
•••
•••

St. Louis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••