First rap song ever was performed by white musicians.

Posted in the St. Louis Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
ManufacturedMan

United States

#1 Feb 13, 2008
I find it interesting that the first rap song ever was written and performed by white musicians from NYC, a group called Blondie and released in January of 1981.
HumanTorch

Lake Ozark, MO

#2 Feb 13, 2008
Blondie? Have you never heard of the group before?"Heart of Glass" or "One Way or Another?" She and her band were big in the 80's with the white pop music culture.
ManufacturedMan

United States

#3 Feb 13, 2008
Have I heard of them before?? I've seen them in concert and have just about ever album and dvd they've released. They totally rock. Deborah Harry especially is a gifted singer, songwriter, actress and activist.
HumanTorch

Lake Ozark, MO

#4 Feb 14, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
Have I heard of them before?? I've seen them in concert and have just about ever album and dvd they've released. They totally rock. Deborah Harry especially is a gifted singer, songwriter, actress and activist.
Ohhh....sorry, I took you remard as if you weren't familiar with the group. Yes, Deb had some drug problems during their reign popularity. BUt, she overcame. Good for her. I hardly hear their music anymore. But, I remember going to dance clubs and dancing to their music. I really enjoyed it.

“Dont hateME cause my car's HOT”

Since: Sep 07

St Louis Missouri

#5 Feb 17, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
I find it interesting that the first rap song ever was written and performed by white musicians from NYC, a group called Blondie and released in January of 1981.
So what was it?
ManufacturedMan

United States

#6 Feb 17, 2008
morning glory wrote:
<quoted text>
So what was it?
The song was called 'Rapture'. It was written by Chris Stein & Deborah Harry and also performed by Blondie..released January of 1981.

“Dont hateME cause my car's HOT”

Since: Sep 07

St Louis Missouri

#7 Feb 18, 2008
Ok thank you!
AdmChesterMynutz

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Feb 18, 2008
And the rappers referenced in the song where all well known established artists in the burgeoning rap community in Harlem. I believe that is where Deborah Harry met Fab Five Freddy.

Egad you must be joking.
ManufacturedMan

United States

#9 Feb 18, 2008
AdmChesterMynutz wrote:
And the rappers referenced in the song where all well known established artists in the burgeoning rap community in Harlem. I believe that is where Deborah Harry met Fab Five Freddy.
Egad you must be joking.
hmm..I think it was more like hip hop instead of rap..I dont know if Deborah met Freddy in Harlem or not but I do know that the song Rapture was written by Deborah Harry and Chris Stein both of Blondie and was released in January of 1981 and was a very successful hit and this song it was Deborah Harry who was the very first female to rap...no joking.
cassie

Milan, MI

#10 Feb 19, 2008
Wasn't Blonie like the "Queen" of grunge, back in the day?
MushyMushy

Lake Ozark, MO

#11 Feb 19, 2008
cassie wrote:
I guess you could say that. Maybe mixed with a little punk.
ManufacturedMan

United States

#12 Feb 19, 2008
cassie wrote:
Because there 4 male members of Blondie and one female member I dont ever recall them having been dubbed as the the "Queen" of grunge . Perhaps Deborah Harry has been refered to as the "Queen of Punk" on some ocassions.
Maybe you have 'grunge' confused with punk rock. They also incorporated other styles of music onto singles and albums that they released such as new wave, pop, reggea and disco. And some time before Deborah Harry joined Blondie she was a member of Wind in the Willows, a folk-rock band.
cassie

Milan, MI

#13 Feb 19, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Because there 4 male members of Blondie and one female member I dont ever recall them having been dubbed as the the "Queen" of grunge . Perhaps Deborah Harry has been refered to as the "Queen of Punk" on some ocassions.
Maybe you have 'grunge' confused with punk rock. They also incorporated other styles of music onto singles and albums that they released such as new wave, pop, reggea and disco. And some time before Deborah Harry joined Blondie she was a member of Wind in the Willows, a folk-rock band.
Good point! I really meant to say Debra Harry. I guess I just call her by the band name.
cici

Milan, MI

#14 Feb 19, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't belive I have "grunge" confused with punk. I am pretty sure I know the difference.
I didn't know about the band "wind in the willows" that is really interesting and I would love to hear something from back then.
mighty

Saint Peters, MO

#15 Feb 19, 2008
Blondie happened at least a decade before grunge.
AdmChesterMynutz

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Feb 29, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
<quoted text>
hmm..I think it was more like hip hop instead of rap..I dont know if Deborah met Freddy in Harlem or not but I do know that the song Rapture was written by Deborah Harry and Chris Stein both of Blondie and was released in January of 1981 and was a very successful hit and this song it was Deborah Harry who was the very first female to rap...no joking.
Fab 5 Freddy:
"The coming together of uptown and downtown was something that I kind of engineered. I was making paintings at the time and having exhibits. My entrée into the downtown scene was a person by the name of Glen O'Brian. He took me under his wing and allowed me to be a part of a public access cable TV show, done in black and white video. Through doing that show, I met Chris Stein, the guitarist from Blondie, who was like Glen's co-host. They would smoke joints right on the air. I was looking for people to be supporters of my work, having done graffiti on the subways to try to move into galleries. Chris Stein and Debbie Harry basically became my patrons."
AdmChesterMynutz

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Feb 29, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Grandmaster Flash:
"Back in the days before Fab 5 Freddy became the huge personality at Yo! MTV, he used to come to my parties. He told me that he was close friends with Blondie, and that he would bring her [Debbie Harry] to one of my parties in the Bronx. I was like,'Yeah, right.' The audience I was playing for at the particular time was primarily black so when I saw Freddy slowly coming through the crowd and this blonde-haired woman with him, I'm like in slight cardiac arrest almost. She was checking out the set. She said she was a fan, and was gonna do something with me on her next record. I was like,'She's just telling me anything.' Lo and behold, a couple of months later there's the song and it's everywhere. In a lot of ways we had to go through the back door just to get accepted. Now I'm going through the front door with a high-powered, super influential pop artist like bang! It totally put me on a whole other level."
AdmChesterMynutz

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Feb 29, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, I think you may be wrong.

Nelson George:
"Black people are always suspicious of white people using their culture - period. But when Debbie Harry did Saturday Night Live, she had several rappers on with her. She had the Funky Four Plus One on SNL when she did "Rapture." She gave love, as they say. They were very cognizant of the fact that they were taking something from a community that pre-existed. The fact that Fab 5 Freddy and Jean Michel Basquiat are in the video, they knew that they were tapping into something that was larger than what they did."
AdmChesterMynutz

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Feb 29, 2008
ManufacturedMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, the year 1979 preceded the year 1981, I think.

The Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"
(1979)
"Rapper's Delight" was the first rap single to go top 40 and is usually seen as the starting point for rap's commercial success.

Blondie's "Rapture"
(1981)
Often cited as the first No. 1 pop hit to feature rapping. The song gave shout-outs to Fab 5 Freddy and Grandmaster Flash. The video featured Fab and downtown art luminary Jean-Michel Basquiat.
j-dog

Kansas City, KS

#20 Feb 29, 2008
The first person to do rap was CURTIS BLOW,YO MAMA
AND DONT FORGET THE FAT BOYS RUN DMC,ETC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does the maury show make black people look bad? (Jan '11) 8 hr nobody 72
News Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... (Aug '14) 10 hr Silent Echo 6,349
any girls into tribbing/scissoring? (May '10) 16 hr lise 81
Is the phrase "once you go black you never go b... (Jan '11) 18 hr bill 240
white woman looking for black men Fri bill 3
Riots this summer Fri Guest 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Fri Hiawatha 19,847
More from around the web

St. Louis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]