Trurh Hurts

Richland Center, WI

#72735 Dec 11, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Some of his graphs are incorrect. The mideival warming period had a lower overall mean global temperature than what we are experiencing.
The Population Bomb was correct based on the data that was available at the time. However, Norm Borlaug and the Green Revolution came along with a technical fix to address the problems highlighted in that book. A short sighted interpretation.
DDT saved millions of lives and helped win World War II, but Silent Spring exposed it for the ecological nightmare that it was becoming. At some point, it would have done far more damage and deaths than it saved. Silent Spring was not an opinion piece. Carson used scientific data to come to her conclusions. 50 years later no one has refuted those conclusions. Besides, newer more powerful and ecologically safer chemistry came on line to replace DDT. The thing about DDT is that it is an incredibly stable molecule. It doesn't break down easily into inactive metabolites and stays around in biological systems for a long time. It is estimated that human back fat contains as much as 7% DDT and it has been banned in the United States since 1972. It hasn't been banned everywhere, so I am not sure where Rutan comes up with his millions of deaths.
Global warming and climate change are essentially the same thing. His list of overblown "scares" really isn't all that well researched or thought out.
His view of the scientific method is oversimplified and wrong.
CO2 is essential for life, but so is water. Unless you happen to be under thirty feet of it with no oxygen. It is relative. Too much oxygen can be dangerous too. Hence, no smoking in the oxygen tent. Rutan is doing so well here in making his case. He better stick to engineering and self promotion.
I am not sure what the CO2 emissions of the human body have to do with anything. I am not even sure if he is correct. It sounds like he is saying that climate scientists are trying to say that the CO2 coming off the human body is the cause of global warming. No one, NO ONE, is saying that.
Admittedly, CO2 is not the only greenhouse gas and methane for instance has a much greater potential at raising temperatures through infiltration of the atmosphere. However, Rutan mentions the CO2 levels during the Age of Dinosaurs as being 4X greater than today. It was also much warmer than too. The Cambrian Explosion occured in life forms unlike anything we have today. The animals that exist today evolved under much lower CO2 levels. Sort of an apples and oranges comparison.
Rutan is arguing against a particular cause of global warming and leaving out some very important details such as volcanic activity, etc. He is basically saying that it isn't CO2 so there is no warming or at least not human caused warming. However, you will notice that his own charts show a rise in global temperature over the last 200 years. The temperature has gone up and doesn't look to stop. I remain unconvinced at this time that human impact is not part of the Global Warming issue.
Rutan used thier data, charts and graphs not his. Then applied them in a true statistical analysis with no bias.

I believe in the global teperature rise, just not the human c02 impact. The data doesn't support it, my opinion.
Bible Babln BS Artists

Saint Charles, MO

#72736 Dec 11, 2012
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
The descentants of abraham weren't hitites, they came into the land of canniane and too it over, just like the bible says. They ovetook the hitites in the area originally.
Jerusalem in the days of Abraham was called Salem...and it was ruled by Melkezidek ...he is mentioned again in the book of Hebrews ...you'd know that IF YOU EVER REALLY DID READ THE BIBLE...

Jerusalem was occuppied by the Jebusites...and NEVER conquered by Joshua because of the connection with Abraham and Melkizadek...There were two bronze plaques over the gates that reminded EVERYONE of this....Jerusalem stayed Jebusite until David snuck in through the sewers and took it... YOU WOULD HAVE TO READ THE BIBLE TO KNOW THAT...later the temple was built on the Threshing floor of Anarith (A HITTITE)...who was a JEBUSITE and they bought the land from him. Uriah "the Hittite" and Bathseba Davids downfall where JEBUSITES...the famous ZADOKS that became the family of High Priests ...appear at this time...and they are believed to have been JEBUSITES since that is a shorted version of of the name Melki-ZADOK.

Before you start making a fool of yourself ...maybe you should read the Bible...you think?

You are nothing but a Pharasee!

God Bless
CHEERS
IToldYouSo

Saint Peters, MO

#72737 Dec 11, 2012
Norton wrote:
<quoted text>
P. S. I think God is really dealing with these Liberals. At least it's making them think........but they don't realize it!
CHEERS!
So God has taken on just the Liberals here? You really are a Fool, Blasphemer and Heretic.
hahahaa

Leavenworth, KS

#72738 Dec 11, 2012
Obama rocks
Bible Babln BS Artists

Saint Charles, MO

#72739 Dec 11, 2012
Norton wrote:
<quoted text>
P. S. I think God is really dealing with these Liberals. At least it's making them think........but they don't realize it!
CHEERS!
Norton is a lot like Harold Camping, the Preacher that claimed the world was going end in May 2011. His followers went off the deep end running up debt, and selling their homes waiting for Judgement Day and, of course, it never occurred.

Norton borrows from Fox "News" and Right Wing Media and calls that scripture ...and has really developed a Cultist mentality, like that of Camper's followers....Norton even voted for a NON-Christian Mormon!

God Bless
Cheers

“On Nov. 4 -- NO Tea Party”

Since: Sep 09

Say "NO" to TeaPub Elephants!

#72740 Dec 11, 2012
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
What were satans words when he offered the world to satan again? I don't read that bit much.
Perhaps you should read it more often.
The Illegal Muslim Prez

Sparta, MO

#72741 Dec 11, 2012
NEW SHARIAH CONSTITUTION - Obama Administration is going to give Egypt 20 American-made F-16 fighter jets that cost U.S. taxpayers $200 million

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood President has just declared martial law and is trying to install a new constitution based on Shariah law. In response, the Obama Administration is going to give Egypt 20 American-made F-16 fighter jets that cost U.S. taxpayers $200 million. American servicemen will be expected to train the Egyptians on how to use our weapons.

The ACLJ is demanding that President Obama suspend all aid to Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood. All support must be cut off until Congress can certify that such aid supports U.S. national security and the security of the Israeli people.

Petition to Stop Funding Egypt & Defend Israel

To: President Obama and Congress

Another Shariah dictatorship on Israel’s border – armed with American weapons – is a deadly threat to Israel. All U.S. funding to Egypt must be cut off until we can certify that aid to Egypt will help the national security interests of the United States and Israel.

http://aclj.org/middle-east-turmoil/stop-fund...

#72742 Dec 11, 2012
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
The sun wasn't mentioned in the bible to circle round the earth. The moon in the bible wasn't called the greatEST light. They might fall from the sky, space up into the sky. Adam and Eve? I hope not incest :P
Ecclesiastes 1:5 (KJV) The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.

No, the moon was described as a lesser light. But the moon has no light of its own and furthermore does not always "rule the night."

#72743 Dec 11, 2012
Norton wrote:
<quoted text>
Matt 4:8
I suppose this is what you are talking about. If so, you have taken it out of context, as usual....
Not only have you taken the verse "out of context," you have no idea what it meant.

#72744 Dec 11, 2012
Norton wrote:
<quoted text>
P. S. I think God is really dealing with these Liberals. At least it's making them think........ but they don't realize it!...
"Norton," we think all right. But you are unable to comprehend what we are thinking!
IToldYouSo

Saint Peters, MO

#72746 Dec 11, 2012
Bible Babln BS Artists wrote:
<quoted text>
Norton is a lot like Harold Camping, the Preacher that claimed the world was going end in May 2011. His followers went off the deep end running up debt, and selling their homes waiting for Judgement Day and, of course, it never occurred.
Norton borrows from Fox "News" and Right Wing Media and calls that scripture ...and has really developed a Cultist mentality, like that of Camper's followers....Norton even voted for a NON-Christian Mormon!
God Bless
Cheers
I'd forgotten about that IDIOT! He ran off like a wet dog after that prediction just to come back and say, I got the date wrong. THEN IT DIDN'T happen the second time and all I can remember is the stupid look on his face. Reminded me of that Loony Tunes short where the Dog Morphed into a Sucker after being DUPED by Buggs Bunny for the umpteenth time. Brahahahahahahah!
Truth Hurts

United States

#72747 Dec 11, 2012
Norton,

Faith is a wonderful thing, until someone tries to push thier ideology on another. Then it crosses a line.

Someone seeking faith is another story, but random preaching and attempted conversion annoys the crap out of people. You might try preaching at church, thats where it's been done since the founding of this country.

Frankly I don't care if you believe dog turds are a sign of life on mars. One of the wonderful things about america, religious freedom.
IToldYouSo

Saint Peters, MO

#72749 Dec 11, 2012
The Illegal Muslim Prez wrote:
NEW SHARIAH CONSTITUTION - Obama Administration is going to give Egypt 20 American-made F-16 fighter jets that cost U.S. taxpayers $200 million
Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood President has just declared martial law and is trying to install a new constitution based on Shariah law. In response, the Obama Administration is going to give Egypt 20 American-made F-16 fighter jets that cost U.S. taxpayers $200 million. American servicemen will be expected to train the Egyptians on how to use our weapons.
The ACLJ is demanding that President Obama suspend all aid to Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood. All support must be cut off until Congress can certify that such aid supports U.S. national security and the security of the Israeli people.
Another Shariah dictatorship on Israel’s border – armed with American weapons – is a deadly threat to Israel. All U.S. funding to Egypt must be cut off until we can certify that aid to Egypt will help the national security interests of the United States and Israel.
You are in need of laxatives! Your silly, uninformed proves how full of excrement you really are. You two are about to be awarded the Golden DunceCap of stupidity award for your blithering posts.
IToldYouSo

Saint Peters, MO

#72750 Dec 11, 2012
Insert

Your silly, uninformed "COMMENT" proves

#72751 Dec 11, 2012
I give up wrote:
<quoted text>Ok...I give up. I was raised in Church, was dragged there every time the doors were open. I have never ever heard of "pi" in the Bible and have tried for the last hour to look it up. Give me a hint where it is mentioned. I'd love to look it up for myself.
"Pi" itself is not mentioned in the Bible. However, the dimensions of a "molten sea," which King Solomon built for the "King of Kings," are mentioned in the Bible:

2 Chronicles 4:2 (KJV) Also he made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

We know that the line which "did compass it round about" would have actually been 31.4 cubits, not the 30 cubits mentioned in the Bible.

Thus, it appears that the ancient Hebrews used a value of "3" for the value corresponding to "pi." This, of course, is an error of about 4.7%, since "pi" is around 3.1416.

#72752 Dec 11, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't going to ever be done with large language. He is all over this site starting argents for fun. Ignore him because its never going to end with him. He is toying with you on purpose. Look at the other threads.
I can recognize a troll when I see one. I find it amusing to actually "toy" with him, to see how ridiculous he can become. It amuses me.
GOP Alternative Universe

Saint Charles, MO

#72753 Dec 11, 2012
The Illegal Muslim Prez wrote:
This silly post makes me feel like sing'n:

La la la la la la, La la la la la la

My SHARIAH amour, lovely as a summer day
My SHARIAH amour, distant as the milky way
My SHARIAH amour, pretty little one that I adore
You're the only girl my heart beats for
How I wish that you were mine

La la la la la la, La la la la la la
Jerusalem is NOT Jewish

Saint Charles, MO

#72754 Dec 11, 2012
According to the Hebrew Bible, the Jebusites (Hebrew: &#1497;&#1456;&#14 89;&#1493;&#1468;& #1505;&#1460;&#1497;, Modern Yevusi Tiberian Y&#601;&#7687;ûsî ISO 259-3 Ybusi) were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited and built Jerusalem prior to its conquest by King David according to the Biblical account; the Books of Kings state that Jerusalem was known as Jebus prior to this event. According to some Biblical chronologies, the city was conquered by King David in 1003 BC,[1] or according to other sources 869 BC.[2]

Ethnic origin

The Tanakh portion of the Bible contains the only surviving ancient text known to use the term Jebusite to describe the pre-Israelite inhabitants of Jerusalem; according to the Table of Nations at Genesis 10, the Jebusites are identified as a Canaanite tribe, which is listed in third place among the Canaanite groups, between the Biblical Hittites and the Amorites. Prior to modern archaeological studies, most Biblical scholars held the opinion that the Jebusites were identical to the Hittites, which continues to be the case, though less so.[3] However, an increasingly popular view, first put forward by Edward Lipinski, professor of Oriental and Slavonic studies at the Catholic University of Leuven, is that the Jebusites were most likely an Amorite tribe; Lipinski identified them with the group referred to as Yabusi'um in a cuneiform letter found in the archive of Mari, Syria.[4]

As Lipinski noted, however, it is entirely possible that more than one clan or tribe bore similar names, and thus that the Jebusites and Yabusi'um may have been separate people altogether.[4] In the Amarna letters, mention is made of the contemporaneous king of Jerusalem was named Abdi-Heba, which is a theophoric name invoking a Hurrian goddess named Hebat; unless a different ethnic group occupied Jerusalem in this period, this implies that the Jebusites were Hurrians themselves, were heavily influenced by Hurrian culture, or were dominated by a Hurrian maryannu class.

Jebusites named in the Bible

Melchizedek
According to Genesis, the ruler of Jerusalem in the time of Abraham was Melchizedek (also Melchizedeq), and that as well as being a ruler, he was also a priest. Rashi points out that Melchizedeq was another name for Shem, son of Noah. Later, Joshua is described as defeating a Jebusite king named Adonizedek. The first parts of their names mean king and lord, respectively, but though the zedek part can be translated as righteous (making the names my king is righteous and my lord is righteous), most Biblical scholars believe that it is a reference to a deity named Zedek, who was the main deity worshipped by the Jebusites (making the names my king is Zedek and my lord is Zedek).[5] Scholars are uncertain, however, whether Melchizedek was himself intended in the Genesis account to be understood as a Jebusite, rather than a member of another group in charge of Jerusalem prior to the Jebusites - Jerusalem is referred to as Salem rather than Jebus in the passages of Genesis describing Melchizedek.[6]

Araunah
Another Jebusite, Araunah (referred to as Ornan by the Book of Chronicles) is described by the Books of Samuel as having sold his threshing floor to King David, which David then constructed an altar on, the implication being that the altar became the core of the Temple of Solomon. Araunah means the lord in Hittite, and so most scholars, since they consider the Jebusites to have been Hittite, have argued that Araunah may have been another king of Jerusalem;[7] some scholars additionally believe that Adonijah is actually a disguised reference to Araunah, the &#1512; (r) having been corrupted to &#1491; (d).[8] The narrative itself is considered by some scholars to be aetiological and of dubious historicity;[5] Melchizedek, as a priest as well as king, was likely to have been associated with a sanctuary, probably dedicated to Zedek, and scholars suspect that the Temple of Solomon was simply a natural evolution of this sanctuary.
Jerusalem is NOT Jewish

Saint Charles, MO

#72755 Dec 11, 2012
The Jebusite hypothesis

Some scholars have speculated that as Zadok (also Zadoq) does not appear in the text of Samuel until after the conquest of Jerusalem, he was actually a Jebusite priest co-opted into the Israelite state religion. Harvard Divinity School Professor Frank Moore Cross refers to this theory as the "Jebusite Hypothesis," criticizes it extensively, but terms it the dominant view among contemporary scholars,[9] in Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic: Essays in the History of the Religion of Israel.[10]

Elsewhere in the Bible,
the Jebusites are described in a manner that suggests that they worshipped the same God (El Elyon -- &#274;l ‘Ely&#333;n) as the Israelites (see, e.g., Melchizedek). Further support for this theory comes from the fact that other Jebusites resident in pre-Israelite Jerusalem bore names invoking the principle or god Zedek (Tzedek)(see, e.g., Melchizedek and Adonizedek). Under this theory the Aaronic lineage ascribed to Zadok is a later, anachronistic interpolation.[12]

Jebusite activities in the Bible
The Hebrew Bible describes the Jebusites as dwelling in the mountains, besides Jerusalem.(Numbers 13:29, Joshua 11:3) According to the Book of Joshua, Adonizedek led a confederation of Jebusites, and the tribes from the neighbouring cities of Jarmut, Lachish, Eglon and Hebron against Joshua,(Joshua 10:1-3) but was soundly defeated, and killed. However, Joshua 15:63 states that Judah could not dislodge the Jebusites, who were living in Jerusalem ("to this day the Jebusites live there with the people of Judah").

Judges 1:21 portrays the Jebusites as continuing to dwell at Jerusalem, within the territory otherwise occupied by the Tribe of Judah and Tribe of Benjamin.

Certain modern archaeologists now believe that the conquest of Canaan by the Israelites under Joshua simply didn't happen, and that the Israelites actually originated as a subculture in Canaanite society;[13] some biblical scholars believe that the accounts in the Book of Joshua are cobbled together from folk memory of disconnected battles, with numerous different aggressors, which occurred over a time period of over 200 years.[13][14]

According to the Books of Samuel, the Jebusites still had control of Jerusalem at the time of King David, but David wished to take control of the city; understandably the Jebusites contested his attempt to do this, and since Jebus was the strongest fortress in Canaan they gloated that even the blind and lame could defeat David's army; an alternative, equally valid, translation of the Jebusite's statement is that they said David would have to defeat the blind and lame before anyone else.[5] According to the version of the story in the masoretic text, David managed to conquer the city by a surprise attack, led by Joab, through the water supply tunnels (Jerusalem has no natural water supply except for the Gihon spring). Upon its discovery in the 19th century, Warren's shaft, part of a system which connects the spring to the city, has been cited as evidence for the plausibility of such a line of attack; however, the discovery, at the turn of the 21st century, of a set of heavy fortifications, including towers, around the base of the Warren's shaft system and the spring, has made archaeologists now regard this line of attack as implausible, as it would be an attack against one of the most heavily fortified parts, and hardly a surprise.[15] According to many textual scholars the claim in the masoretic text could simply be a scribal error; the Septuagint version of the passage states that the Israelites had to attack the Jebusites with their dagger[s] rather than through the water shaft.
Jerusalem is NOT Jewish

Saint Charles, MO

#72756 Dec 11, 2012
The Books of Kings state that once Jerusalem had become an Israelite city, the surviving Jebusites were forced by Solomon to become serfs;[16] though since some archaeologists believe that the Israelites were simply an emergent subculture in Canaanite society, it is possible that this is an aetiological explanation for serfs than a historically accurate one.[13] It is unknown what ultimately became of these Jebusites, but it seems logical that they were assimilated by the Israelites. According to the "Jebusite Hypothesis,"[17] however, the Jebusites persisted as inhabitants of Jerusalem and comprised an important faction in the Kingdom of Judah, including such notables as Zadok the priest, Nathan the prophet, and Bathsheba, the queen and mother of the next monarch, Solomon. According to this hypothesis, after the disgrace of a rival faction in the struggle for succession to David,[18] the family of Zadok became the sole authorized Jerusalem clergy, so that a Jebusite family monopolized the Jerusalem clergy for many centuries before becoming sufficiently attenuated to be indistinguishable from other Judeans or Judahites.

The Book of Chronicles states that the inhabitants of Jebus forbade King David from coming to Jerusalem shortly after he was made king. Joab went up first and took the city and became chief and captain of David's armed forces.[19]

[edit] Classical Rabbinical perspectivesAccording to classical rabbinical literature, the Jebusites derived their name from the city of Jebus, the ancient Jerusalem, which they inhabited.[6] These rabbinical sources also argued that as part of the price of Abraham's purchase of the Cave of Machpelah, which lay in the territory of the Jebusites, the Jebusites made Abraham grant them a covenant that his descendants would not take control of Jebus against the will of the Jebusites, and then the Jebusites engraved the covenant into bronze;[6] the sources state that the presence of the bronze statues are why the Israelites were not able to conquer the city during Joshua's campaign.[6]

The classical era rabbis go on to state that King David was prevented from entering the city of Jebus for the same reason, and so he promised the reward of captaincy to anyone who destroyed the bronzes – Joab performing the task and so gaining the prize.[6] The covenant is dismissed by the rabbis as having been invalidated due to the war the Jebusites fought against Joshua, but nevertheless David (according to the rabbis) paid the Jebusites the full value of the city, collecting the money from among all the Israelite tribes, so that the city became their common property.[6]

In reference to a passage[20] in the Books of Samuel which refers to a saying about the blind and the lame, Rashi quotes a midrash which argues that the Jebusites had two statues in their city, with their mouths containing the words of the covenant between Abraham and the Jebusites; one figure, depicting a blind person, represented Isaac, and the other, depicting a lame person, representing Jacob.[6]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Six Shootings in 12 Hours Leave One Dead, Many ... 7 hr Shawn45644 2
Debate: Election Poll, Sept 2011 - St. Louis, MO (Sep '11) 7 hr chuck 13
RAMS just lost a fan ! 9 hr KKK 17
Whites Should Boycott Sports 10 hr Yes it is me 5
Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 23 hr squeezers 431
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 23 hr Jim Jones 19,549
Will Racism EVER Stop? I NEED UR FEEDBACK PLEAS... Wed Chadly74 13
St. Louis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

St. Louis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

St. Louis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in St. Louis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:20 am PST

NBC Sports 8:20AM
De'Anthony Thomas garners AFC special teams player of the week honors
Bleacher Report 9:43 AM
Offseason Should Start with Trading for Cutler
NBC Sports 2:15 PM
Should fantasy owners bench Eli Manning in Week 16?
Bleacher Report 5:58 PM
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
Bleacher Report 9:09 PM
Breaking Down New York's Game Plan