Red Box Movie Rental Lawsuit

Full story: Fox2Now

A Contact 2 "red alert" on the popular "Red Box" movie rental kiosks you see all over town.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jessica

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

I Love Red Box and think its a Wonderful idea and this law suit is ridiculous. RETURN YOU MOVIE ON TIME AND THERE WILL BE NO LATE CHARGES, every Kiosk that i have been to always has the terms of the rental on it including the time that its due.
bob powell

Farmington, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

It's not only in st.louis but farther south like festus,ste genevieve.It has happened to us just recently,twice in the same day.
Let them eat cake

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

If the box won't allow you to return the movie then you should not be charged. It's pretty simple really.
markb126

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

Unreal. We've reached a point where a lawsuit is filed over terms any 3-yr-old could understand. The terms and conditions are clearly stated on the Redbox itself: return your movie after a certain time, and you are charged for another day's rental. After a certain number of days, the movie is yours. Again, this is clearly stated directly on the Redbox unit. The news report makes it sound like you're charged everyday for a rental, and then charged another fee to actually purchase the DVD. Not so. Your card is charged $1 per night for a certain number of nights until you a) return the movie or b) reach the end of the rental period, at which time you keep the movie and Redbox stops charging your account. It is the same concept as the library...your items at the library are free, unless you return them late. By accepting the library card, you agree to these terms & conditions. When you rent a DVD from Redbox, you actually get a screen that shows you the rental terms and you have to touch the screen to indicate that you've read and agreed to them. Don't like paying $25 to own the latest movie? Then don't buy the DVD from Redbox! Otherwise, we call it capitalism. And while I agree that its inconveinent when the machine is full and won't accept your return, the machine also clearly states that you can return the DVD to any Redbox kiosk. So why did this rocket scientist simply go to another machine? And to the sleazy almost-a-lawyer who took this case, shame on him. He's not doing this woman any favors by not informing her that pressing "I agree to the terms and conditions" means "I agree to the terms and conditions." And the funny thing is that this woman gets her panties in a bunch over a $1 rental fee, yet she's willing to fork out $300 an hour for her stupid lawyer to handle her so-called case. If there's any justice in this world, the judge will throw this case out and allow Redbox to countersue her for the cost of defending themselves against this idiot.
concerned citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Henry R

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

I have always had a good experience with Redbox. When I was late a day, I was charged another dollar. No big deal. Although I have never come across a box that wouldn't accpet my DVDs, I did come across a machine that was not working. At the time I didn't know where the nearest box was and it cost me another one dollar charge. I sent an email to the company and they sent me promotion codes for 3 additional free movies. I think that is pretty good customer service.
Jessica

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

AMEN Henry, People are so dramatic and want something to compain about. I have had a couple of times that my movie skipped or got stuck at one part of the movie, i contacted customer service and they are awesome very helpful and like you said give free promo codes. Blockbuster and anyother movie/game rental company charges late fees and along with the library which was mentioned above.....the only difference?? YOU CANT GET THEIR MOVIES FOR $1
tooter

New Madrid, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

stupid lawyers!
kdude

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

this lawsuit has no merit in my book. it's a case of "duh...what do i do", completely the fault of the customer. If you keep the movie for an extended period (way longer than the 3 or 4 dollars) then you get charged each day. it is NOT a late fee it is merely re-renting it another day.
If you call them they are very courteous and will even send you free rentals if you are nice to them.

The problem I have seen is that if a blockbuster is close by, sometimes the blockbuster emps/owner will go over to redbox and jam it so people will go to the blockbuster.
cmh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

I've been using redbox for awhile now and never had any problems and I have kept a movie an extra night or two and only got charged the dollar each day, I have seen a few redboxes that charged a ten dollar fee if its in a high theft zone, but you got the money back everytime, and actually I don't think the few boxes out here do that anymore.
Let them eat cake

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

Just about every last one of you missed the point:

WHEN YOU TRY TO RETURN THE MOVIE THE MACHINE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO AND YOU ARE CHARGED ANOTHER DOLLAR FOR RENTAL.
PLEASE NOTE: THE MACHINE WILL NOW ALLOW YOU TO RETURN THE MOVIE. HENCE YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT FOR ANOTHER DAY AND ARE CHARGED ANOTHER DOLLAR.

EXAMPLE:
You rent a movie on Monday, watch it, and then try to return it on Tuesday but the machine denies you because it is full. Why should you have to pay for that? Now you're stuck with this movie until you get another chance to return it. This could be anything from 1 day to an additional week. All because Redbox could not handle their own volume of business?

Would you pay late fees if you tried to return a book to the library and they told you they were too busy to take returns today? I think not. But the library doesn't have your credit card number and bill you automatically like redbox either.
COMMON SENSE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

IF THE MACHINE IS FULL...GO TO ANOTHER ONE. THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE AND VERY CONVENIENT TO FIND.
Karen

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

They overcharged me by $2.00 one time & wouldn't honor a free movie coupon code I had, I just stopped using Redbox's, there are plenty of legitimate movie rental businesses in my town to use. I'm not going to stand outside in the weather getting frustrated by a stupid movie vending machine !!!
Nathan

Cape Girardeau, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

That is a lie my wife and me rented movies from a redbox in cape girardeau, mo and called redbox because the box was not letting you rent or return movies and we called them and they told us that they would send someone out to fix the box and that we wouldn't be charged a late fee and we decided to go to another redbox that is 10 miles away to see if it would work and thank god it wasn't full and we returned our movies but the redbox does say $1 per day and all movies must be returned by 9pm or you will be charged another $1 and after 25 days you own the movie!
Let them eat cake

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

COMMON SENSE wrote:
IF THE MACHINE IS FULL...GO TO ANOTHER ONE. THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE AND VERY CONVENIENT TO FIND.
Not my job to drive around town randomly in hopes of finding one. This obviously hasn't happened to you otherwise you would think differently. I'm sure if you tried to return a movie and it was full you would be the FIRST person throwing a temper tantrum.
roadquee

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Sure you can call them but you are on hold most of the time for an excess of 30 min or you are disconnected.Have ran into this several times.
Big Johnson

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

Just another idiot wanting something for nothing. Thats whats wrong with this country too many idiots wanting to sue and too many stupid attorneys willing to take this kind of case.

They evidently can not READ. If someone would be kind enough to read the terms of service to them they would probably drop it!
JennLart

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

When you are billed for the movie itself, it's because you kept the movie past a reasonable return time.

That is 15 days.

What kind of moron would not return a movie, then sue the company because she didn't honor the terms of use?

Nuts.
Jules

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

You just wait and see. This is just the tip of the iceberg with RedBox. They charged me $30 for a movie they said I rented and didn't return. We never rented the movie! We never rented movies at all from the Redbox location they said it was rented from. So, we immediately quit going to RedBox. A couple of months later, a charge shows up on our credit card for $1 from RedBox. I call to find out what it was for. They claimed it was for a movie we had rented four months earlier and they were just now processing the charge! That is when I cancelled my credit card and got a new one. The perfect crime. Who is going to notice a fraudulant $1 charge on their credit card (I did, only because we had quit renting from them), and even if they do, who is going to waste any time pursuing $1? Virtually no one would.$1 multiplied by - how many million customers do they have?- that adds up to a nice little sum. I reported it to the State Attorney General's Office - they weren't interested in it too much. Seeing this on the news last night made me smile. This company is up to no good, it's just a matter of time before they get nailed.
Just saying

Park Hills, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

If it is too close to that 9 pm return deadline, instead of paying $1 again for the movie you've already seen, rent another and then there will be an opening in the box for the one you are wanting to return.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the St. Louis Forum right now

Search the St. Louis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 19 min Stacey Carter 92,095
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Samuel 17,723
MO Missouri's Prop C: Voters Set to Challenge Heal... (Aug '10) 2 hr harrieta 18,908
MO Who do you support for Auditor in Missouri in 2... (Oct '10) 6 hr guest 261
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 6 hr guest 6,871
St.Louis Remembers The Lost Shipment Of Cocaine ! 7 hr Reply2_CIA 2
St. Mob 10 hr Reply2_CIA 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

St. Louis Jobs

•••
•••
•••